Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cliff Avril | DE Anyone know if he would be worth looking at?

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board

Cliff Avril | DE Anyone know if he would be worth looking at?

Lions | Cliff Avril prefers to play on grass

Detroit Lions impending free-agent DE Cliff Avril said he would prefer to play on a grass field for whichever team he signs with this offseason because playing on turf affects a player's joints after a few years.

Read more: Lions | Cliff Avril prefers to play on grass - NFL Hot off the Wire
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

RAIDER415 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    No thank you will ask for too much money and isn't a diffeance maker.
    Sithman likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Hes a good player who could help us talent wise but doesn't he have off field issues or attitude issues? Maybe I'm off but I thought I heard of him causing issues of some kind in Det.,

Veteran
    Blog Entries

no thx looks too much like jamarcus

Chairman of the Board
    I did a quick search (meaning I easily could have missed something) and didn't immediately find anything about him having off field issues so if that's the case I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a good price. He is a better pass rusher than we currently have.

YoungLegend is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Didnt know we had so many pass rusher where we could be picky. He is a good talent that Oakland could use really bad. Cause he can actually rush the passer. Last three years 8 11 and 8 are his sack numbers. In his 5 year career he has a total of 39.5 sacks and 16 force fumbles lol and yeah we dont need a guy like this who does

mickyd is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    I am also a Detroit fan (born in MI). Not impressed with him. He would cost too much - I think we can get more in the draft.....

Ancyent Fathoms is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    He's incredibly talented but wants an Org that sees him as a cornerstone and willing to pay for it. He's in the market for a big pay-day, longterm contract. The current budget likely takes him out of play. I would guess.

If anything, his play this year resembled someone that wanted out of Detroit and let's be honest, that team underperformed compared to the level of talent accumulated. PFF for some reason gave him a horrible cumulative grade for 2012, yet he scored well with PFF the year before. He's a competitor and wants to play meaningful games.

But he's someone that I'd keep in a two-point as a rush OLB in a 3-4. Made a post about Avril a while ago, He's excellent at rushing the passer, that's his wheelhouse. In another context, with a 3-4 defense and some significant Cap room, then yes.

But with the current situation, No.
    Idaraider! likes this.

Hall of Famer
    You're in line to be best poster of the year. where were you last year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancyent Fathoms View Post
    He's incredibly talented but wants an Org that sees him as a cornerstone and willing to pay for it. He's in the market for a big pay-day, longterm contract. The current budget likely takes him out of play. I would guess.

If anything, his play this year resembled someone that wanted out of Detroit and let's be honest, that team underperformed compared to the level of talent accumulated. PFF for some reason gave him a horrible cumulative grade for 2012, yet he scored well with PFF the year before. He's a competitor and wants to play meaningful games.

But he's someone that I'd keep in a two-point as a rush OLB in a 3-4. Made a post about Avril a while ago, He's excellent at rushing the passer, that's his wheelhouse. In another context, with a 3-4 defense and some significant Cap room, then yes.

But with the current situation, No.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    Hes a good player who could help us talent wise but doesn't he have off field issues or attitude issues? Maybe I'm off but I thought I heard of him causing issues of some kind in Det.,
    You're probably thinking about how he wanted a new contract and the media tried to make him look bad at the time, like he was greedy or something. I don't think he has any attitude issues. He'd be an amazing addition.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 9000 View Post
    You're probably thinking about how he wanted a new contract and the media tried to make him look bad at the time, like he was greedy or something. I don't think he has any attitude issues. He'd be an amazing addition.
    Could be. On the field wise I wouldn't be mad about picking him up for a good price. But if he wants elite pass rusher money then forget it. Hes good, but he's not elite.

VEfreak is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    We do need more pass rush, but I don't know if he will be worth his asking price. He also gets to play next to Suh and Fairley, so I can't say how well he would do here unless we draft Star to play next to him.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VEfreak View Post
    We do need more pass rush, but I don't know if he will be worth his asking price. He also gets to play next to Suh and Fairley, so I can't say how well he would do here unless we draft Star to play next to him.
    Could you imagine the d-line with Bryant, Avril, Star, Houston and Carter. Our linebackers would have probowl type seasons

Hall of Famer
    I really like Avril, but his contract will put him out of reach IMO. He is a great pass rusher, and fine for a 4-3 with a decent inside presence, but like I said his price tag will put him out of our reach.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 9000 View Post
    Could be. On the field wise I wouldn't be mad about picking him up for a good price. But if he wants elite pass rusher money then forget it. Hes good, but he's not elite.
    I wouldn't break the bank by any means but we can't be cheap. Dude is only 26. He still has time to reach that elite status.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information