Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 183
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Rooney rule controversy

  1. #121
    80sr8dr is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    If all owners were like Al Davis in the past there would be no need for such a rule. The rule leaves a bad taste in my mouth; but unfortunately there was and is a need for it. I mean when you look at the rule it is basically telling the owners: don't be so racist. It is sad that the rule was necessary. But I am proud to be a fan of an Organization that led by example and knew that winning is what matters and that one's color means nothing when you go about hiring someone.

    Should you hire someone because he is a minority? No. Should you not hire someone because he is a minority? No. Unfortunately the League recognized the answer to the latter question was 'yes' at times for some Organizations and as a result, the rule became necessary.
    This sums everything up perfectly.

  2. #122
    Dirt Dog is offline Banned
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    If all owners were like Al Davis in the past there would be no need for such a rule. The rule leaves a bad taste in my mouth; but unfortunately there was and is a need for it. I mean when you look at the rule it is basically telling the owners: don't be so racist. It is sad that the rule was necessary. But I am proud to be a fan of an Organization that led by example and knew that winning is what matters and that one's color means nothing when you go about hiring someone.

    Should you hire someone because he is a minority? No. Should you not hire someone because he is a minority? No. Unfortunately the League recognized the answer to the latter question was 'yes' at times for some Organizations and as a result, the rule became necessary.
    I can dig it!

  3. #123
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    The Rooney rule, much like affirmative action is a slap in the face to African americans. The sad part is that they have been so duped by the democrat party that they don't even realize it most of the time. I mean, can you imagine showing up as a token interview for a job? A team is forced to interview you and you walk in feeling like a big tool. It's like, "please hire me cause I'm black!" What a disgrace. It is a shame that the dems have taught the African American population to expect so little of themselves. Look at Clarance Thomas! Look at Herman Cain,etc.! Look at some of the most successful African Americans in our country who did it themselves without the insult of someone having to help them be successful! What a shame.
    Ok I'm going to try to be respectful with his response. Let me give you moe perspective. First AND AGAIN
    1. first off please don't act like racism didn't and don't exist
    2. Blacks WHERE NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE NFL AT ONE POINT
    3. MOST nfl owners believed that black guys did not have the mental capacity to play qb or be a coach
    4. NEWS FLASH!!!! Most of the owners who believed that have owned these team for years and STILL own them!
    Granted ALOT of the owners have been more progressive over the years
    5.YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE THE BEST OR MOST QUALIFIED FOR A PROMOTION AND NOT GET IT DO TO YOUR RACE
    6. I just listened to Warren Buffett , maybe some of you saw it. The reporter asked him if he was lucky. He said Lucky in a sense of where he was born. Also he was a white man. Had he been a Blackman or woman he wouldn't be where he is today BECAUSE OF HE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WHERE AFFORDED TO HIM! He said his sisters where smarter than him but couldn't get the same opportunities
    7.as far as being duped by the Democratic Party. Let me enlighting you a little bit. Most black people are FULLY aware that Democratic Party don't do the things for minorities because of a sincere desire! It's to get votes! We all get that.
    But here is what most republicans DON'T AND WON'T UNDERSTAND! There are ALOT of rich Black people that vote democrat EVEN THOUGH it would financially beneficial for hem to vote right. But what most black people understand is that there are ALOT of people in the inner cities that don't see any options! Who great grandparents where slaves,parents came up in the civil rights error, and that pattern of poverty gets passed and got passed on to even this generation. Some kids never seen a black doctor,lawyer etc! As sad as the Sany hook tragity is. Kids and people get killed in the hood either on purpose or stray bullets ALL THE TIME!!you can ask any kid from kindergarten on. Have you ever seen anyone shot or killed most would say yes! So guess what these kids grow up desensitized. Yet still have to o to school and perform. SO YES THEY NEED MORE ASSISTANCE FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR SPECIAL PROGRAMS!

    And please don't tell me oh that's the past get over it. Because IF that's the case what about all the wealth that was made on the backs of slaves? That wealth has been passed down from generation to generation even down TO THIS DAY! Jus like SOME whites STILL benefit from that wealth. SOME blacks are still suffering from mental enslavement
    THAT'S WHY MOST BLACKS EVEN RICH ONES VOTE DEMOCRAT!

    Also on that note the REASON YOU think blacks are duped by democrats is the VERY reason we need he Rooney rule! Republicans REALLY think black people don't understand political issues! We just go with the flow because we want things and vote dem. smfh! It's so funny that republicans ALWAYS say we have to broaden our tent and do a BETTER job of communicating our principles to minorities! NEWSFLASH!!!!! WE UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES AND LIKE MOST AMERICANS WHO VOTED FIR OBAMA WE JUST DON'T AGREE WITH THEM! That's like Greg knapp saying it takes time for the players to understand the zbs. No they understand it they just don't like it and it doesn't work! Trickle down philosophy is outdated! By virtue of the fact you mentioned Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain as good examples for black people(as did Rush Limbaugh) shows CLEARLY that you have no insight to the depth and otherside of this issue as well as the Rooney rule!

  4. #124
    speedkills's Avatar
    speedkills is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16,766
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rooney rule is a waste of time. THere are hardly any racist if any racist owners left in the NFL. Best person for the Job.

    I think Mike Tomlin is a ****ty coach, not cause he is black, cause he is crap, I didnt think Cowher was a good coach either. if it wasnt for Dick Lebeau both him and Cowher would win 6 games a year . Go look at Cowher when he didn't have Lebeau. Go look at Parcells when he didn;t have Bellicheck. There is a lot that goes into Coaching, Tony Dungy couldnt put together a offense if his life depended on it. However, he had Peyton Manning.
    "Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

  5. #125
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithman View Post
    Ok I'm going to try to be respectful with his response. Let me give you moe perspective. First AND AGAIN
    1. first off please don't act like racism didn't and don't exist
    2. Blacks WHERE NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE NFL AT ONE POINT
    3. MOST nfl owners believed that black guys did not have the mental capacity to play qb or be a coach
    4. NEWS FLASH!!!! Most of the owners who believed that have owned these team for years and STILL own them!
    Granted ALOT of the owners have been more progressive over the years
    5.YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE THE BEST OR MOST QUALIFIED FOR A PROMOTION AND NOT GET IT DO TO YOUR RACE
    6. I just listened to Warren Buffett , maybe some of you saw it. The reporter asked him if he was lucky. He said Lucky in a sense of where he was born. Also he was a white man. Had he been a Blackman or woman he wouldn't be where he is today BECAUSE OF HE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WHERE AFFORDED TO HIM! He said his sisters where smarter than him but couldn't get the same opportunities
    7.as far as being duped by the Democratic Party. Let me enlighting you a little bit. Most black people are FULLY aware that Democratic Party don't do the things for minorities because of a sincere desire! It's to get votes! We all get that.
    But here is what most republicans DON'T AND WON'T UNDERSTAND! There are ALOT of rich Black people that vote democrat EVEN THOUGH it would financially beneficial for hem to vote right. But what most black people understand is that there are ALOT of people in the inner cities that don't see any options! Who great grandparents where slaves,parents came up in the civil rights error, and that pattern of poverty gets passed and got passed on to even this generation. Some kids never seen a black doctor,lawyer etc! As sad as the Sany hook tragity is. Kids and people get killed in the hood either on purpose or stray bullets ALL THE TIME!!you can ask any kid from kindergarten on. Have you ever seen anyone shot or killed most would say yes! So guess what these kids grow up desensitized. Yet still have to o to school and perform. SO YES THEY NEED MORE ASSISTANCE FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR SPECIAL PROGRAMS!

    And please don't tell me oh that's the past get over it. Because IF that's the case what about all the wealth that was made on the backs of slaves? That wealth has been passed down from generation to generation even down TO THIS DAY! Jus like SOME whites STILL benefit from that wealth. SOME blacks are still suffering from mental enslavement
    THAT'S WHY MOST BLACKS EVEN RICH ONES VOTE DEMOCRAT!

    Also on that note the REASON YOU think blacks are duped by democrats is the VERY reason we need he Rooney rule! Republicans REALLY think black people don't understand political issues! We just go with the flow because we want things and vote dem. smfh! It's so funny that republicans ALWAYS say we have to broaden our tent and do a BETTER job of communicating our principles to minorities! NEWSFLASH!!!!! WE UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES AND LIKE MOST AMERICANS WHO VOTED FIR OBAMA WE JUST DON'T AGREE WITH THEM! That's like Greg knapp saying it takes time for the players to understand the zbs. No they understand it they just don't like it and it doesn't work! Trickle down philosophy is outdated! By virtue of the fact you mentioned Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain as good examples for black people(as did Rush Limbaugh) shows CLEARLY that you have no insight to the depth and otherside of this issue as well as the Rooney rule!
    Also some people say if this person can succeed than this other can. True but they may need more help and you can't make sweeping judgements like that. For example two men go to war. THEY BOTH kill and see people killed. One comes home and can perform in society perfectly. The other is shell shocked! Would you say. The other soldier isn't shell shocked and you shouldn't be either? NO that's just ignorant! EVERYONE is made up differently and have different circumstances and and mind sets. Also when republicans put aMike Steele as head of Rnc after Barack gets elected. And trying use Marco Rubio to get the Hispanic vote is not going to work either. Hispanics understand politics as well. If anything THAT'S TRYING TO DUPE US!

  6. #126
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360

    To all the white guys here

    It sounds like you guys are all sincere. And I agree I hate the Rooney rule. But the reality EVERYONE don't think as progressively as you guys!
    speedkills and foodisgood70 like this.

  7. #127
    OaklandRdr's Avatar
    OaklandRdr is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,415
    I feel bad for those minority individuals whos time is wasted by teams that have zero intentions of hiring them simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule. I think that being used as a token is very offensive.
    speedkills likes this.

  8. #128
    foodisgood70's Avatar
    foodisgood70 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithman View Post
    It sounds like you guys are all sincere. And I agree I hate the Rooney rule. But the reality EVERYONE don't think as progressively as you guys!
    Sad but true. You could have probably left the ending off to be honest. A significant part of the population doesn't think period.

  9. #129
    paul0660's Avatar
    paul0660 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,412
    Sounds racist?

  10. #130
    JoeKiev's Avatar
    JoeKiev is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithman View Post
    Also some people say if this person can succeed than this other can. True but they may need more help and you can't make sweeping judgements like that. For example two men go to war. THEY BOTH kill and see people killed. One comes home and can perform in society perfectly. The other is shell shocked! Would you say. The other soldier isn't shell shocked and you shouldn't be either? NO that's just ignorant! EVERYONE is made up differently and have different circumstances and and mind sets. Also when republicans put aMike Steele as head of Rnc after Barack gets elected. And trying use Marco Rubio to get the Hispanic vote is not going to work either. Hispanics understand politics as well. If anything THAT'S TRYING TO DUPE US!
    I think this post speaks volumes about your perseptions on race. Everything is a tactic based on skin color. M. Steele as RNC Chair is a ploy. Marco Rubio and his potential nomination is a ploy. Can't it simply be because their abilities make them strong candidates? Of course not!!! But running Obama? The mainstream media giving him favorable coverage in the primary and general election before his first term? No racism there, right? I am sure there was no agenda to get him elected because he may pull a great deal of the African American vote, right? Amazing to me how it works only one way. As a matter of fact, I am more than certain that I am the racist for having the audacity to point the argument out,right? What a shame.

  11. #131
    Sea Of Hands's Avatar
    Sea Of Hands is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dog View Post
    I can dig it!
    The Warriors - Can You Dig It - YouTube
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

  12. #132
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    I think this post speaks volumes about your perseptions on race. Everything is a tactic based on skin color. M. Steele as RNC Chair is a ploy. Marco Rubio and his potential nomination is a ploy. Can't it simply be because their abilities make them strong candidates? Of course not!!! But running Obama? The mainstream media giving him favorable coverage in the primary and general election before his first term? No racism there, right? I am sure there was no agenda to get him elected because he may pull a great deal of the African American vote, right? Amazing to me how it works only one way. As a matter of fact, I am more than certain that I am the racist for having the audacity to point the argument out,right? What a shame.
    Let me first say I absolutely don't think your a racist at all! I just know there is a depth to this issue and these issues that appears you haven't thought deeply about and CLEARLY there is a lack of understanding when it comes to so called minorities and minority hiring.

    When Barack gets elected THEN you REACT by appointing Michael Steele and he CONSISTANTLY attacks and critisize Obama, after ALOT of white republicans where being called out as racist for doing so. That's gonna raise some eyebrows!

    When you lose Hispanic vote by 71% THEN YOU REACT by trying to elevate Marco Rubio? Again you are gonna raise eyebrows

    Who is really being duped?

    Are they qualified?ABSOLUTELY! The issue is timing and the GOP has come out over and over again mentioning how Rubio should appeal to more Latinos

    Also YOU YOURSELF SAID "look at Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain!" The sad part is YOU DON'T EVEN REALIZE HOW INSULTING AND OFFENSIVE THAT IS TO MOST BLACK PEOPLE!

    See there IS a deeper element to this but I won't go into it but Herman Cain? Geeze. If republicans keep this thinking they will go he way of the wig party

  13. #133
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    I think this post speaks volumes about your perseptions on race. Everything is a tactic based on skin color. M. Steele as RNC Chair is a ploy. Marco Rubio and his potential nomination is a ploy. Can't it simply be because their abilities make them strong candidates? Of course not!!! But running Obama? The mainstream media giving him favorable coverage in the primary and general election before his first term? No racism there, right? I am sure there was no agenda to get him elected because he may pull a great deal of the African American vote, right? Amazing to me how it works only one way. As a matter of fact, I am more than certain that I am the racist for having the audacity to point the argument out,right? What a shame.
    And yes Mike Steele was used as a puppet. As SOON as he publicly disagreed with Rush Limbaugh he got lambasted, and publicly scolded! He found out how much authority he really had!

  14. #134
    kinz is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithman View Post
    Ok I'm going to try to be respectful with his response. Let me give you moe perspective. First AND AGAIN
    1. first off please don't act like racism didn't and don't exist
    2. Blacks WHERE NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN THE NFL AT ONE POINT
    3. MOST nfl owners believed that black guys did not have the mental capacity to play qb or be a coach
    4. NEWS FLASH!!!! Most of the owners who believed that have owned these team for years and STILL own them!
    Granted ALOT of the owners have been more progressive over the years
    5.YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE THE BEST OR MOST QUALIFIED FOR A PROMOTION AND NOT GET IT DO TO YOUR RACE
    6. I just listened to Warren Buffett , maybe some of you saw it. The reporter asked him if he was lucky. He said Lucky in a sense of where he was born. Also he was a white man. Had he been a Blackman or woman he wouldn't be where he is today BECAUSE OF HE OPPORTUNITIES THAT WHERE AFFORDED TO HIM! He said his sisters where smarter than him but couldn't get the same opportunities
    7.as far as being duped by the Democratic Party. Let me enlighting you a little bit. Most black people are FULLY aware that Democratic Party don't do the things for minorities because of a sincere desire! It's to get votes! We all get that.
    But here is what most republicans DON'T AND WON'T UNDERSTAND! There are ALOT of rich Black people that vote democrat EVEN THOUGH it would financially beneficial for hem to vote right. But what most black people understand is that there are ALOT of people in the inner cities that don't see any options! Who great grandparents where slaves,parents came up in the civil rights error, and that pattern of poverty gets passed and got passed on to even this generation. Some kids never seen a black doctor,lawyer etc! As sad as the Sany hook tragity is. Kids and people get killed in the hood either on purpose or stray bullets ALL THE TIME!!you can ask any kid from kindergarten on. Have you ever seen anyone shot or killed most would say yes! So guess what these kids grow up desensitized. Yet still have to o to school and perform. SO YES THEY NEED MORE ASSISTANCE FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR SPECIAL PROGRAMS!

    And please don't tell me oh that's the past get over it. Because IF that's the case what about all the wealth that was made on the backs of slaves? That wealth has been passed down from generation to generation even down TO THIS DAY! Jus like SOME whites STILL benefit from that wealth. SOME blacks are still suffering from mental enslavement
    THAT'S WHY MOST BLACKS EVEN RICH ONES VOTE DEMOCRAT!

    Also on that note the REASON YOU think blacks are duped by democrats is the VERY reason we need he Rooney rule! Republicans REALLY think black people don't understand political issues! We just go with the flow because we want things and vote dem. smfh! It's so funny that republicans ALWAYS say we have to broaden our tent and do a BETTER job of communicating our principles to minorities! NEWSFLASH!!!!! WE UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES AND LIKE MOST AMERICANS WHO VOTED FIR OBAMA WE JUST DON'T AGREE WITH THEM! That's like Greg knapp saying it takes time for the players to understand the zbs. No they understand it they just don't like it and it doesn't work! Trickle down philosophy is outdated! By virtue of the fact you mentioned Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain as good examples for black people(as did Rush Limbaugh) shows CLEARLY that you have no insight to the depth and otherside of this issue as well as the Rooney rule!
    I don't think the Rooney rule is much of a solution, but there certainly is a problem, and in a lot of ways the problem isn't getting better, just changing in nature to become more inclusive.
    Sithman and 80sr8dr like this.

  15. #135
    Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by kinz View Post
    I don't think the Rooney rule is much of a solution, but there certainly is a problem, and in a lot of ways the problem isn't getting better, just changing in nature to become more inclusive.
    I do agree
    kinz likes this.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •