Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Rooney rule controversy

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSide View Post
    As a MAN, there is no doubt you should want to earn EVERYTHING not have it handed to you based on the color of your skin.

This Rooney rule is as ridiculous as the rest of the modern rules ruining a once great game.

And where does it make sense to hire someone who is not qualified? Where in the real world does this happen?

What's next, no women players or coaches are being hired. The way the NFL is headed, I don't doubt this one coming at all.

Sorry to all who are hurt by my opinion those banned and the ones still around.
    What does hiring someone who is not qualified have to do with the Rooney rule??

Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    I live in Steeler country and there are many Steeler fans calling for his job.
    Well I guess that settles it. YOU heard fans calling for his job. Yup I guess that makes him a sh#%%y coach

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by foodisgood70 View Post
    What does hiring someone who is not qualified have to do with the Rooney rule??
    I think he is saying that people will hire the best person for the job no matter what race, it doesn't make sense to hire a lesser candidate in regards to their standards because of race. Thus meaning the Rooney Rule only makes people interview minority coaches as if it is a race thing, and not the fact the team might just think the white coach gives them the best chance to succeed, because who would really hire a weaker coach.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Len View Post
    Force affirmative action roster protocol across the board, and see how the "Minority" action-takers respond.
    You don't get t. All the years black people been in the league the FIRST Black qb wasn't taken overal until 2001!!!!!!!!!so you mean to tell me black were not worthy to get drafted that high until 12 years ago??? There are only TWO black qualified oc's in the ENTIRE LEAGUE?

We have grown ALOT when it comes to players. TEAMS WILL PICK OR PLAY the best available. However that hasn't completely transferred to coaching. Affirmative action is only needed if people aren't getting a fair shot! Such as positions of authority

How can anyone justify Norv Turner getting THREE head coaching jobs and Lovie Smith can't?

imthedan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sr8dr View Post
    What are you not understanding? Once again, for years blacks were not hired as HC and coordinators just as they weren't drafted as QBs. Do you realize freaking Warren Moon couldn't get drafted for no other reason than he was black???!!! That's what lead to the Rooney rule, racism, nepotism and good old boy networking. The Rooney rules was made to combat such practices by saying that in sport in which over 50% of the athletes playing it are black, it's only logical that a high % of coaches be black. So you can't compare it to what YOU would do in a single instance if you were in a position to hire. The NFL is not one business, there are 32 owners of 32 teams. The players are mostly black, yet the coaches were mostly white. That's called a SYSTEMIC problem and that's why a measure like the Rooney rule came to fruition.
    I didn't read the 8 pages that I missed, so if addressed, whatever.

I don't have a problem with the Rooney rule. I didn't say that I did. My problem is you EXPECT black coaches to be hired because of the Rooney rule. If the owner of the team doesn't want to hire a coach, then that's his choice. He followed the rule, which mandates that you just have to hire a minority.

Plus, what's wrong with 'good old boy networking' -- that's the best way to find a job anywhere. You network with people and that generally comes back to help you out later.

I think it's fairly simple. If a black, or any other minority, coach wowed the owner and general manager enough then they would hire them.
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithman View Post
    Well I guess that settles it. YOU heard fans calling for his job. Yup I guess that makes him a sh#%%y coach
    Okay, no need to take it personally, just tellin' you what I am hearing. Many Steeler fans that I know and talk to,(and yes that is many), are no longer impressed with him and want him gone. I personally think he is a good coach, but, I don't think that matters too much to you.

Sorry to upset you. I will tell those steeler fans that you think they are wrong. I'm sure they will care. lol.

Hall of Famer
    You don't get t. All the years black people been in the league the FIRST Black qb wasn't taken overal until 2001!!!!!!!!!so you mean to tell me black were not worthy to get drafted that high until 12 years ago??? There are only TWO black qualified oc's in the ENTIRE LEAGUE?

We have grown ALOT when it comes to players. TEAMS WILL PICK OR PLAY the best available. However that hasn't completely transferred to coaching. Affirmative action is only needed if people aren't getting a fair shot! Such as positions of authority

How can anyone justify Norv Turner getting THREE head coaching jobs and Lovie Smith can't?
    I get it just fine.

Apparently, there are no Caucasians able to play corner in the NFL, or are there?

So teams should be forced to interview someone based on their skin color? Even when they see the evidence of their coaching on the field, and on film?

Thatís like saying you have to bring in a certain amount of Caucasian players on your roster for tryouts, even though thereís film on them that you could base a decision on.
    imthedan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeinrichmond View Post
    I just hope the Raiders win a superbowl before the return of Jesus. All I can do is hope.
    "Davis was one of the greatest coaches I have ever observed... A truly great coach. Had he remained in coaching, he would be considered one of the greatest of all time". - Bill Walsh

imthedan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I get it just fine.

Apparently, there are no Caucasians able to play corner in the NFL, or are there?

So teams should be forced to interview someone based on their skin color? Even when they see the evidence of their coaching on the field, and on film?

Thatís like saying you have to bring in a certain amount of Caucasian players on your roster for tryouts, even though thereís film on them that you could base a decision on.
    exactly.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSide View Post
    As a MAN, there is no doubt you should want to earn EVERYTHING not have it handed to you based on the color of your skin.

This Rooney rule is as ridiculous as the rest of the modern rules ruining a once great game.

And where does it make sense to hire someone who is not qualified? Where in the real world does this happen?

What's next, no women players or coaches are being hired. The way the NFL is headed, I don't doubt this one coming at all.

Sorry to all who are hurt by my opinion those banned and the ones still around.
    It's to get an interview...

Nobody is being handed anything.
    Sithman likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    how the hell is Mike Tomlin a ****ty coach?
    I live in Steeler country and there are many Steeler fans calling for his job.
    First u lived in Ohio, now u live in Pittsburgh
    Sithman likes this.

All-Pro
    I get it just fine.

Again big difference. If a white guy beats out a black guy or is better he will play cb as did Jason sehorn. But if you know history coaches and owners would say black people don't have the mental capacity to play qb but we can run fast and jump so they would put us at rb,cb, and wr. So even with that we didn't start that, we just excelled at positions we were only allowed to play. But if there is a white guy that wins that position THEY WILL BE GIVEN EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO START! But again CB RB ARE NOT POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY! Or so called thinking positions

Hall of Famer
    lol! Okay buddy, you go find that quote where I said I lived in Ohio. NW Pa, like I have said all along. You on the other hand said you have lived in what 6 different parts of the country? You know, in order to make a point that supports your bias? Hey, how's the "No Claps is Right" account doing?

Hall of Famer
    (null)
    So whitey isn't as physically skilled as most minorities; that's excepted. But he can't be looked at as more cerebral, that's not excepted; now I get it. There are always millions of exceptions, but the double standard is obvious. If the Rooney rule is fair, an enforced color-coated roster is fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeinrichmond View Post
    I just hope the Raiders win a superbowl before the return of Jesus. All I can do is hope.
    "Davis was one of the greatest coaches I have ever observed... A truly great coach. Had he remained in coaching, he would be considered one of the greatest of all time". - Bill Walsh

Hall of Famer
    lol! Okay buddy, you go find that quote where I said I lived in Ohio. NW Pa, like I have said all along. You on the other hand said you have lived in what 6 different parts of the country? You know, in order to make a point that supports your bias? Hey, how's the "No Claps is Right" account doing?
    Oh you mean the 25 ppl you think I am? Sure Joe. I specifically remember you saying u lived in Ohio when I told ppl on here the correct way to address THE Ohio state.

You're full of it.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePointAfterIG View Post
    Al Campanis Racist Remarks on Nightline (April 6, 1987) - YouTube

Sadly many owners in professional sports today, think like Al Campanis' did.
    Funny how this didn't get many responses. This was the common thinking

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information