Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Bears to hire trestman

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by english_raider View Post
    I'm a little bit disappointed with how we have gone about this OC hire to be honest. Maybe it's just me but it looks a little slapdash from the outside.

Trestman was always going to the bears, anyone who thinks different is an idiot.

I'm not sure if Pep Hamilton has been interviewed or not but this is the most logical OC possibility of them all. He's already interviewed for the Jets job.

Martz is a no go for me. It just seems like another Knapp hire but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Don't know why I'm disappointed, should be used to it by now.
    Ha! Welcome to the Whiners Club. Speaking ill of the coaching search is considered whining around these parts. Accept the strategy and tactics being employed or feel the wrath of the other members on this board who "know what's going on".
    Dirt Dog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalR8r View Post
    Ha! Welcome to the Whiners Club. Speaking ill of the coaching search is considered whining around these parts. Accept the strategy and tactics being employed or feel the wrath of the other members on this board who "know what's going on".
    I think I'm just having one of those days to be honest.

I'm totally behind Reggie and DA but they're not immune from criticism.
    FROZEN and Dirt Dog like this.

jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Lets be honest....

If you are a talented commodity, would you work UNDER someone thats not as talented? NO. In business, and maybe some of you are not up on corporate politics, you never hire someone under you that is more talented than you are...(Tom Cable?) You will be fired so he wont leave the company if the management sees this....You also never take a job to work UNDER someone that you deem less talented than you. If YOU do all the work and make things successful you wont get the praise or accolades, your less competent superior will get the fruits of your work.

So we have DA as the HC. The last OC was fired for the performance of the team. If you come in and DA is fired, you will likely go with him.

If you make the offense click, DA gets the accolades. You are stuck under him in the organization.

If the offense doesnt work because of reasons outside of your control, injuries, personal decisions, etc...then you will get the blame.

So its really a dead end job and everyone knows this.

The only thing that would change is if DA had personal relationships with people so they would not feel like they would be blamed...but Knapp was his guy, they had a good relationship, and he took the fall...so this job will get filled by either someone who has no other options....or who isnt qualified yet is looking to get on the job experience (DA).

We will not get any A List OC's.

Hall of Famer
    Yeah, except if your entire premise is flawed then all your hilariously misguided conclusions are just comedic fodder. Thanks for playing, though.

NEO
    NEO is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Martz to Oakland would be terrible. We don't have the OLINE, or WR's to run his system, but MOST of all, it encourages Palmer to do the ONE THING that causes him to rack up interceptions -- throwing to a spot in the seams.

The Martz offense is dependant on QB-WR timing and throwing into windows created by long patterns deep into the seams of the defense.

It worked in Stl because Kurt Warner was a virtuoso at timing, anticipation and throwing to a spot. It also didn't hurt to have a hellevua OLINE and WR's.

Carson Palmer is NOT Kurt Warner. He can make outstanding throws, but has a chronic tendency to throw picks at the worst possible times. We also don't have an OLINE or WR's anywhere near the level or sophistication of the Stl Louis Rams back in the day.

But you know what bothers me the most. If Dennis Allen is a defense-minded philosophy coach, doesn't that mean he preaches against turnovers, interceptions, and the like? Thus, interviewing Martz seems like a strange fit at best. When you bring the Martz offense to town, the one thing you are anticipating is LOTS of OFFENSIVE RISK (ergo high potential for turnovers, picks, etc).

It's make me question Dennis Allen's leadership IF a guy like Martz is hired. How can you in good faith tell the guys in that locker room to not be risky with the ball, when the very nature of the Martz offense is RISK?

If D.A. Wants a HIGH OCTANE OFFENSE that protects the ball, minimizes turnovers, he need not look any further than across the bay at the San Francisco 49ers. They run the pistol and preach hard nose defense.

I could go on and on, but the bottomline is a Mike Martz hire would be a disaster.
    RighteousRayda, DAYFM and Dirt Dog like this.

jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by regret View Post
    Yeah, except if your entire premise is flawed then all your hilariously misguided conclusions are just comedic fodder. Thanks for playing, though.
    Again...when we hire some noname OC or reject then think about this...lol.

raiderjohn622 is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradoraider View Post
    The Broncos already have an OC; his name is Payton Manning. At some point, being his OC is actually a bad position since Manning has final say on all plays, not the OC. I don't think anyone gives much credit to his past OCs, which is why Tom Moore has never been seriously considered for a head coaching position.

I suspect Mike McCoy was hired more for what he did with the Tebow led offense last year than the Manning led offense this year. Given the talent, especially at QB, last year was more impressive.
    RM had some interest in McCoy last year as well.

raiderjohn622 is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NEO View Post
    Martz to Oakland would be terrible. We don't have the OLINE, or WR's to run his system, but MOST of all, it encourages Palmer to do the ONE THING that causes him to rack up interceptions -- throwing to a spot in the seams.

The Martz offense is dependant on QB-WR timing and throwing into windows created by long patterns deep into the seams of the defense.

It worked in Stl because Kurt Warner was a virtuoso at timing, anticipation and throwing to a spot. It also didn't hurt to have a hellevua OLINE and WR's.

Carson Palmer is NOT Kurt Warner. He can make outstanding throws, but has a chronic tendency to throw picks at the worst possible times. We also don't have an OLINE or WR's anywhere near the level or sophistication of the Stl Louis Rams back in the day.

But you know what bothers me the most. If Dennis Allen is a defense-minded philosophy coach, doesn't that mean he preaches against turnovers, interceptions, and the like? Thus, interviewing Martz seems like a strange fit at best. When you bring the Martz offense to town, the one thing you are anticipating is LOTS of OFFENSIVE RISK (ergo high potential for turnovers, picks, etc).

It's make me question Dennis Allen's leadership IF a guy like Martz is hired. How can you in good faith tell the guys in that locker room to not be risky with the ball, when the very nature of the Martz offense is RISK?

If D.A. Wants a HIGH OCTANE OFFENSE that protects the ball, minimizes turnovers, he need not look any further than across the bay at the San Francisco 49ers. They run the pistol and preach hard nose defense.

I could go on and on, but the bottomline is a Mike Martz hire would be a disaster.
    This is why I would love us to run back to a Jason Campbell offense....with a little bit more aggression since we do have Palmer's rifle.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NEO View Post
    Martz to Oakland would be terrible.
    And this is exactly why they will hire him. The people we have put in charge are clowns and everyone in the league knows this.
    Naphtali likes this.

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 9000 View Post
    And this is exactly why they will hire him. The people we have put in charge are clowns and everyone in the league knows this.
    Fact?

AutumnWind32 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_dick_steele View Post
    Fact?
    Hahahahahahaha!
    sa_dick_steele likes this.

Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Pep Hamilton...Get Pep Hamilton....

Hall of Famer
    Fact?
    sa_dick_steele likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    Again...when we hire some noname OC or reject then think about this...lol.
    I'll think about what a shame it is we couldn't afford to hire Norv, but that will be the extent of it.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Fact?
    Fact that the people running the organization are clowns, yes. Fact about hiring Martz, not sure ;P

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information