Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What If...

Hall of Famer

What If...

What if Manti Te'o shows up big tonight in the national championship game? Does that change your mind about taking him with the #3 overall pick? Does it change Reggie's mind? One thing the Raiders defense has been lacking for years is a leader. We, obviously, missed the boat with McClain and Seymour was past his prime and/or unmotivated to truly take control of this unit. We certainly need upgrades at several positions on the defensive side of the ball but if Te'o is a great leader on defense and plays lights out tonight, do we snatch him up at #3? No one player is going to turn the defense around but having a voice on that side of the ball certainly would be helpful. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalR8r View Post
    What if Manti Te'o shows up big tonight in the national championship game? Does that change your mind about taking him with the #3 overall pick? Does it change Reggie's mind? One thing the Raiders defense has been lacking for years is a leader. We, obviously, missed the boat with McClain and Seymour was past his prime and/or unmotivated to truly take control of this unit. We certainly need upgrades at several positions on the defensive side of the ball but if Te'o is a great leader on defense and plays lights out tonight, do we snatch him up at #3? No one player is going to turn the defense around but having a voice on that side of the ball certainly would be helpful. Thoughts?
    I like Te'o and I'd like us to draft him.

I don't like picking him at #3 though.

Trade down to pick #7-10, pick up a 2nd rounder and get him there and Reggie will get the thumbs up from me.

Even if he dominated tonight, I'd still think the same.
    crizpynutz, NEO and Raiders Baby! like this.

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by english_raider View Post

Trade down to pick #7-10, pick up a 2nd rounder and get him there and Reggie will get the thumbs up from me.

Te'o is a luxury. We need to shore up the DL first.
    raiders_fan67 likes this.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post
    I disagree. Our entire "inner triangle" needs to be shored up, and even if DL is more important, that doesn't mean you MUST take a DL with your first pick. It may be harder to get a quarterback of your defense at MLB than getting a DL later. We need a MLB and 2 DT's but that doesn't dictate who gets solved with our 1st pick. I'm not saying Te'o is the best pick either, just that IMO, the logic ^above is flawed and he is not a "luxury".

Sig by Nexx

This is blood for blood and by the gallons. These are the old days man, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choices left. And I'm ready for war.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post
    We need to shore up the entire team, not just the DL.

For me, we need leaders, Te'o was born to lead.

I think there are better players like Star and Joeckel, but Te'o would genuinely be a breath of fresh air for this franchise.

It's a perfect fit.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by crizpynutz View Post
    I disagree. Our entire "inner triangle" needs to be shored up, and even if DL is more important, that doesn't mean you MUST take a DL with your first pick. It may be harder to get a quarterback of your defense at MLB than getting a DL later. We need a MLB and 2 DT's but that doesn't dictate who gets solved with our 1st pick. I'm not saying Te'o is the best pick either, just that IMO, the logic ^above is flawed and he is not a "luxury".
    Agreed and that's why I posed the question. We've heard about Te'o and some have bought into the hype based on watching him play the past few seasons. But, if he helps ND overcome 'Bama and their 9pt spread, doesn't that elevate him somewhat? We get a top DT or DE and plug him in, great. We get a MLB and plug him in, you may end up with the 2nd coming of McClain. What sets MLBs apart is their ability to diagnose and inspire the rest of their teammates. If Te'o is a difference maker and he showcases it tonight, I think it may elevate him in Reggie's eyes. It certainly would for me.

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalR8r View Post
    Agreed and that's why I posed the question. We've heard about Te'o and some have bought into the hype based on watching him play the past few seasons. But, if he helps ND overcome 'Bama and their 9pt spread, doesn't that elevate him somewhat? We get a top DT or DE and plug him in, great. We get a MLB and plug him in, you may end up with the 2nd coming of McClain. What sets MLBs apart is their ability to diagnose and inspire the rest of their teammates. If Te'o is a difference maker and he showcases it tonight, I think it may elevate him in Reggie's eyes. It certainly would for me.
    I don't know that he can be elevated more than he is already. My ideal draft is to trade down to 7-9 and draft Te'o while getting a 2nd round pick and more for the move down the board. Reallistically, the best way for this to happen, is for Geno Smith to drop to #3 and the Arizona Cardinals at #7 decide he's worth trading up for. Otherwise, we'd have to reach and take Te'o and honestly, even though it's a reach and some people here would flip a nutter butter over the pick, I wouldn't be mad at it.

Of course not to disregard Duck's post, because we still need to shore up the middle of that DL or any MLB including Te'o won't amount to much.
    RaiderDuck likes this.

Sig by Nexx

This is blood for blood and by the gallons. These are the old days man, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back! There's no choices left. And I'm ready for war.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by english_raider View Post

I do not see Te'o dropping past Cleveland at #6 especially if Moore and Jarvis Jones are off the board. Cleveland may want to move up to #3 and trade with the Raiders but I do not see them giving up their 2nd round pick to do so, maybe a 3rd.

The Bills at #8 are another possibility after Buddy Nix said they will look to draft a franchise QB. Again, though, they will not give up a 2nd round pick to do so.

Besides 2 high 3rd round picks may not be so bad.

As an aside, what you are saying about Te'o is eerily similar to what a lot of people were saying about Rolando McClain around draft time. The similarities do not stop there. McClain also played behind a dominant defensive line. I'm not saying Te'o will turn out like McClain but you know the saying "buyer beware".
    charlieinblack and Chewy316 like this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    We dont have as dominate of DL as Te'o will have tonight which will free him up to do the things he's been doing all season first and foremost. So no.

I hope everyone on this forum key's Te'o tonight, I will, even though I have done so for numerous games. Every play counts, tell me if you see over pursuit, a lot of attempts at arm tackles, missed tackles which lead to tackles. The latter giving him so many tackles for the season. The beast middle line backer had less than 50 solo tackles and in numerous games had 3 or less.

The guy is 255 in college and plays very bulky. Is he another LB that will have to come off the field on 3rd down? at 255 can he get sideline to sideline?

Players like Cushing, Willis, Mathews play at low 240's. Roloando, 255.

You can't measure a mans passion for the game and that is what Te'o seems to have above all others, but is he really worth OUR first round pick? With no one in front of him to command a double team? Absolutely not.
    Ro_34 and coRaider like this.

RavenRaider is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    I do not see Te'o dropping past Cleveland at #6 especially if Moore and Jarvis Jones are off the board. Cleveland may want to move up to #3 and trade with the Raiders but I do not see them giving up their 2nd round pick to do so, maybe a 3rd.

The Bills at #8 are another possibility after Buddy Nix said they will look to draft a franchise QB. Again, though, they will not give up a 2nd round pick to do so.

Besides 2 high 3rd round picks may not be so bad.

As an aside, what you are saying about Te'o is eerily similar to what a lot of people were saying about Rolando McClain around draft time. The similarities do not stop there. McClain also played behind a dominant defensive line. I'm not saying Te'o will turn out like McClain but you know the saying "buyer beware".
    If the bills trade up from 8th to 3rd, you can be damn sure we are gonna get a 2nd rounder as well, hopefully this year

raiderrod is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I like Te'o. But not at #3.
    crizpynutz and EmeraldCityR8r like this.

RavenRaider is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenRaider View Post
    If the bills trade up from 8th to 3rd, you can be damn sure we are gonna get a 2nd rounder as well, hopefully this year
    Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

That would be our 1st (3rd-2200 points) for their 1st (8th-1400 points), their 2nd (41st-490 points), and their 3rd (71st-235 points). Minimum.

Meninblack is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Im one of the te'o supporters but unless he's patrick willis or ray lewis, no mlb is worth top 5......the leader ship is good but if it tirns out he cant play in space like alot of other hyped mlb it doesnt matter anymore
    crizpynutz and coRaider like this.

Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    If we're going to take Te'o, we need to build around him. We can get a big NT and some DE's in the later round, maybe a big hitting strong safety...I think that would work pretty good for us
    crizpynutz likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenRaider View Post
    Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

That would be our 1st (3rd-2200 points) for their 1st (8th-1400 points), their 2nd (41st-490 points), and their 3rd (71st-235 points). Minimum.
    Trade Value Charts are not worth a damn.

It is all about what a team is willing to give up and what a team is willing to accept.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information