Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why firing entire offensive coaching staff is yet another terrible mistake

  1. #1
    RAIDERMIKE47's Avatar
    RAIDERMIKE47 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,294

    Why firing entire offensive coaching staff is yet another terrible mistake

    The entire offensive coaching staff absolutely deserves to be let go and I believe that's the only logical move. However, it's a terrible mistake to fire those gcoaches without also removing Dennis Allen from the head coaching position.

    If Allen leads the team to another 4-win season next year, there's little doubt he'll be fired. That means one of two things: A new head coach will be asked to retain an offensive coaching staff or the offense will install it's fourth different system in as many years. In my opinion, that's worse than firing yet another head coach because it sets the team back another year (at least).

    For all of the "progress" being mentioned on defense down the stretch, there's a chance next year's only returning players could be Branch, Huff, Houston, Adams, and Burris. The rest of our players are either overpaid, unproductive, or UFAs.

  2. #2
    Chiefhater's Avatar
    Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wichita,Ks
    Posts
    6,015
    Allen will probaby get time beyond next season wether Raider fans like it or not.
    NEO, Mr Terrific and IERaiderFan like this.

  3. #3
    BVJ
    BVJ is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,334
    You couldn't put this post in ine of many Coach Allens threads.
    foodisgood70 likes this.

  4. #4
    speedkills's Avatar
    speedkills is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16,336
    Blog Entries
    2
    we cant do any worse 29th scoring offenes, 28th in rushing. Mcfadden 3.3 yards per carry. only 28 sacks allowed but tons of pressure. By the way I am okay with Gaily as a offensive coordinator. I rather have Norv but Gailey had some good offenses in Pittsburgh , and actually got a good season out of Tyler Thigpen in 2008.
    "Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

  5. #5
    Raider_At_War is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    20
    I think there is more of a positive coming from keeping DA then there would be from firing him also. I don't have anything but an uneducated guess as to why it would be DAs fault we didn't succeed. Give him a year with some players and a better OC calling the plays. IF anything he had to learn a lot about being a head coach this year haha
    I think it would be a high risk to fire him and hope another coach does better then to give him a year to improve.

  6. #6
    Raiderjersey's Avatar
    Raiderjersey is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belmar, NJ
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMIKE47 View Post
    The entire offensive coaching staff absolutely deserves to be let go and I believe that's the only logical move. However, it's a terrible mistake to fire those gcoaches without also removing Dennis Allen from the head coaching position.

    If Allen leads the team to another 4-win season next year, there's little doubt he'll be fired. That means one of two things: A new head coach will be asked to retain an offensive coaching staff or the offense will install it's fourth different system in as many years. In my opinion, that's worse than firing yet another head coach because it sets the team back another year (at least).

    For all of the "progress" being mentioned on defense down the stretch, there's a chance next year's only returning players could be Branch, Huff, Houston, Adams, and Burris. The rest of our players are either overpaid, unproductive, or UFAs.
    thats not the only scenario. the OC could be promoted to HC and the system retained.

  7. #7
    xlwhellraiser's Avatar
    xlwhellraiser is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,192
    Gruden??? aaahh couldn't resist . Allen dug himself a grave with Knapp, should he lie in it???

  8. #8
    picksix is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    162
    i hate there's so many coaches out there this offseason.. there were no good options for a hc last year, maybe pagano that's it.. and if we end up firing allen next year we'll have to pick from a bunch of dennis allens again

  9. #9
    R8RBOB's Avatar
    R8RBOB is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDERMIKE47 View Post
    The entire offensive coaching staff absolutely deserves to be let go and I believe that's the only logical move. However, it's a terrible mistake to fire those gcoaches without also removing Dennis Allen from the head coaching position.

    If Allen leads the team to another 4-win season next year, there's little doubt he'll be fired. That means one of two things: A new head coach will be asked to retain an offensive coaching staff or the offense will install it's fourth different system in as many years. In my opinion, that's worse than firing yet another head coach because it sets the team back another year (at least).

    For all of the "progress" being mentioned on defense down the stretch, there's a chance next year's only returning players could be Branch, Huff, Houston, Adams, and Burris. The rest of our players are either overpaid, unproductive, or UFAs.
    I get what you are saying but isn't it the responsibility of the head coach to do whatever he has to do to keep his team intact and to keep his job? Allen has every right to fire and replace his assistants if only to assure that he keeps his job.

  10. #10
    RAIDERMIKE47's Avatar
    RAIDERMIKE47 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I get what you are saying but isn't it the responsibility of the head coach to do whatever he has to do to keep his team intact and to keep his job? Allen has every right to fire and replace his assistants if only to assure that he keeps his job.
    You are absolutely right. What I'm saying is that he shouldn't have gotten the opportunity to do so because he already hired Greg Knapp. Given the circumstances, that was an unbelievably bad hire...not just because of this past season's failures, but because the same coach and same scheme were responsible for the same ineptitude with some of the same players only a few short seasons ago. I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking that there must have been some plan to alter Knapp's offense when he was hired. I don't think any of us dreamed that the new regime would make such a dumb hiring decision. In addition to bringing Knapp back, Dennis Allen showed absolutely nothing remotely positive during his year as head coach. I'm not one to fly off the handle and make ridiculous claims either. Pointing to Jimmie Johnson's 1-15 debut season in Dallas is just silly. This felt more like Art Shell's 2-14 showing a few years ago. The losses of Routt and Kam Wimbley should have been offset by the full offseason that Carson Palmer had to prepare for the season. Instead, we beat one team with fewer than 14 losses. I have a bad feeling that next year will be a wasted season and we'll have a new head coach going into the 2014 season, but I certainly hope I'm wrong.
    allengs likes this.

  11. #11
    NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,114
    Not worse than hiring them in the first place

    /thread

  12. #12
    raiderjohn622 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,725
    So we ran a ZBS with Cable in 08 and 09, then a power blocking under Hue in 10 and 11. Now a ZBS in 12......back to a power blocking in 13?

  13. #13
    Palehorse is offline Banned
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by picksix View Post
    i hate there's so many coaches out there this offseason.. there were no good options for a hc last year, maybe pagano that's it.. and if we end up firing allen next year we'll have to pick from a bunch of dennis allens again
    There are just as many teams looking for coaches as there are coaches. If that makes sense, it was hard to phrase this late on new years. haha

  14. #14
    101proofRdrFan's Avatar
    101proofRdrFan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    You contradict yourself. If we fire Allen now a new coach will bring in a new staff. Your saying if we completely suck next year a new coach will come in and hire a new staff. Why should we count on sucking that bad next season to make your point. Lets see what happens in the next few days. Bet you and a lot of people on here will be feeling better about the direction of this team. Happy New Year!
    Palehorse likes this.

  15. #15
    grw80 is offline Banned
    Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by picksix View Post
    i hate there's so many coaches out there this offseason.. there were no good options for a hc last year, maybe pagano that's it.. and if we end up firing allen next year we'll have to pick from a bunch of dennis allens again
    Buddy I said it in another thread.....we're always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to everything. It's simply become expected that we're NEVER gonna catch a break. Guys like Gruden, Reid and Lovie are out there for the taking right now and of course now we're not looking for a new HC. We could have had Jim Harbaugh a couple years ago if Al would have just paid him what he wanted, and of course we missed out on that one because Al didn't believe in needing a great coach

    Now next year after our clueless HC gets another wasted year to produce another 3-5 win season, there won't be anybody worth a f*ck to bring in. It's always a vicious circle with this franchise. We just cant seem to catch a break in the draft or when it comes to quality head coaches.......a day late and a dollar short.
    allengs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •