Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Knapp Could be Fired On Tuesday ~Merged~

AutumnWind32 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by snevillio View Post
    Did he really ask Norv if he was talking sh*t to him on live TV?!

Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by smucky View Post
    This is entirely unfair to Knapp. He said himself it would take time. I say, give him two seasons to get the team into the end zone. If he can't by next January, then we should begin talking to him about how much longer he thinks it will take.
    Smucky strikes again.

cat444 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

yes

i never understand why the team took knaap anyway, we all know he is a poor OC. also i want the team to return to a power running game who is frankly better for d-mac, so we need a big Lg and a big RT.
    raiderArt likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
    If this happens.....let's just say that awful feeling we all had when Gruden smacked the crap out of us in the SB we'll get to experience twice a year for as long as he remains San Diego's HC.

All the while, people will still be saying Gruden's overrated, never accomplished anything, and DA deserved at least one more year.

But hey, according to some, we've sucked for a long time, what's another year? Or decade, for that matter?
    You're making a huge assumption that things will suddenly change. No one enjoys losing for the last decade, but changing because the fans think it's the wise thing to do is absurd. No one knows what's discussed at Raiders HQ, and I'm sure everyone one is well aware of the expectations. When you have a vision of where you want to be and what it will take to get there, some disappointment is par for the course. This franchise has been overrated for so long that the powers that be continued to believe its own hype, and the fanbase were sold a bill of goods that was far from accurate and worse they actually believed it. Gruden will only do as good as the product he has to work with and I don't believe the talent or depth is available at least not at this point in time.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Hall of Famer
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Some movement for the #Raiders besides OC Greg Knapp being let go. Two more offensive coaches. Also LB coach Johnny Holland out.
    There it is

Foed is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    @AlbertBreer: Chargers have hired Ron Wolf as a consultant to help lead the GM and coach searches.

Traitor.

Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    You're making a huge assumption that things will suddenly change. No one enjoys losing for the last decade, but changing because the fans think it's the wise thing to do is absurd. No one knows what's discussed at Raiders HQ, and I'm sure everyone one is well aware of the expectations. When you have a vision of where you want to be and what it will take to get there, some disappointment is par for the course. This franchise has been overrated for so long that the powers that be continued to believe its own hype, and the fanbase were sold a bill of goods that was far from accurate and worse they actually believed it. Gruden will only do as good as the product he has to work with and I don't believe the talent or depth is available at least not at this point in time.
    And that's essentially where you and I differ in opinion.

Does this team have SB or even playoff talent? Of course not. But it's obvious we have better than 4-12 talent (yeah yeah, you are what your record says you are).

It's clear to see because when a team has absolutely zero talent, that team doesn't take it down to the wire against a damn good Falcons team and doesn't keep it within 1 score until halftime with several other teams only to come back into the 3rd quarter looking lost, deflated, over matched, and clueless. That falls squarely on the coaching staff's inabilities for proper adjustments , no ifs, ands, or buts.

And I feel it's just as absurd to keep a HC for the sake of continuity as it is, as you put it, because the fans think it's wise. Al Davis caught a lot of flak for terminating coaches rather quickly, but who did he terminate? Kiffin, Callahan, Shell, Turner (who is about to get fired from his HC position)...all losers. Basically, he brought someone in with high hopes but recognized by year 2 that he had made a mistake and looked to rectify it.

I have seen absolutely nothing to make me even entertain the thought that DA has what it takes to lead a team to victory, but like you said, none of us are behind closed doors and we'll have to wait and see. I just have a feeling we're gonna be having this same discussion at this time next year after a 6-10 record, at which point some will say we were on "our way back to our winning ways" from the 4-12 this year.
    InfaRaider likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Where is the tweet about the guy who SHOULD be the first to go!

The guy that hired Knapp? The guy in charge of the whole teams performance?

Where is his accountability? DA cannot get a FREE pass while his whole staff gets gutted around him!!!

Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by twoutrally View Post
    Where is the tweet about the guy who SHOULD be the first to go!

The guy that hired Knapp? The guy in charge of the whole teams performance?

Where is his accountability? DA cannot get a FREE pass while his whole staff gets gutted around him!!!
    It is kinda comical, isn't it?

Players have to be held accountable. Knapp and his atrocious play calling and inability to game plan to his players' strengths has to be held accountable, so he gets the ax. But DA, who orchestrated this entire offensive debacle with the Knapp hire? Nah, he's a rookie HC so he gets a pass.

Hall of Famer

Players have to be held accountable. Knapp and his atrocious play calling and inability to game plan to his players' strengths has to be held accountable, so he gets the ax. But DA, who orchestrated this entire offensive debacle with the Knapp hire? Nah, he's a rookie HC so he gets a pass.
    So comical....and how fans are buying into this crap is even more comical!

Chairman of the Board
    And that's essentially where you and I differ in opinion.

Does this team have SB or even playoff talent? Of course not. But it's obvious we have better than 4-12 talent (yeah yeah, you are what your record says you are).

It's clear to see because when a team has absolutely zero talent, that team doesn't take it down to the wire against a damn good Falcons team and doesn't keep it within 1 score until halftime with several other teams only to come back into the 3rd quarter looking lost, deflated, over matched, and clueless. That falls squarely on the coaching staff's inabilities for proper adjustments , no ifs, ands, or buts.

And I feel it's just as absurd to keep a HC for the sake of continuity as it is, as you put it, because the fans think it's wise. Al Davis caught a lot of flak for terminating coaches rather quickly, but who did he terminate? Kiffin, Callahan, Shell, Turner (who is about to get fired from his HC position)...all losers. Basically, he brought someone in with high hopes but recognized by year 2 that he had made a mistake and looked to rectify it.

I have seen absolutely nothing to make me even entertain the thought that DA has what it takes to lead a team to victory, but like you said, none of us are behind closed doors and we'll have to wait and see. I just have a feeling we're gonna be having this same discussion at this time next year after a 6-10 record, at which point some will say we were on "our way back to our winning ways" from the 4-12 this year.
    You are right we have differing opinions on the matter, but I will say same players, different coaches, same results... The team does not have the type of talent needed to be successful. After a few first level guys not much else exists, and if the team sustains any significant injuries it's a done deal. Being overmatched is usually because they aren't talented enough. Being out of position is usually because of lack of execution or poor execution. Well I hate to tell you Al Davis hired those losers he fired so I'm not sure where you are going with that argument. Perhaps if Davis would have allowed his coaches to make some decisions they wouldn't have gotten to this point. Davis failed time and time again to do any real due diligence and hired mostly from within, and that was some flawed logic from the outset. If Allen has a 6-10 record next season I suspect he'll be gone. Say what you will about Allen, but I will still put more faith in comments made by his former employers and players than those of fans on a message board. If Allen fails to produce next season he'll suffer the same fate as his predecessors... That's life in the world of professional sports.

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Chairman of the Board

Only thing is players haven't been accountable until this season... How do you know Allen hasn't been held accountable? McKenzie? People like to make blanket statements based solely on personal opinions without knowing what exactly happens at the Raiders facility. I'll reserve judgment until I see a roster with guys that can actually play, and a strong supporting assistant coaching staff.
    ottomatic1 likes this.

ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    ^
    I hate to agree about DA but...

Its NOT a good sign when you have to fire your OC and others after one year....

Did DA make the call on this or Reggie? Has DA lost control or does he have no control?

I certainly know he went from saying on Monday "Pryor isnt ready to be a backup" Then on Thursday saying "Pryor is the starter this week"

Seems to me like a Reggie call. If thats the case....how much control does DA have?

Sure I want Knapp gone...but Im hoping it was DA that decided to get rid of him...not Reggie telling him to fire the OC...he picked out...

Also...does Reggie choose the OC? (Norv, Gailey, etc)

Doesnt that set up a (Cable/Hue dynamic)?

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    ^
    I hate to agree about DA but...

Its NOT a good sign when you have to fire your OC and others after one year....

Did DA make the call on this or Reggie? Has DA lost control or does he have no control?

I certainly know he went from saying on Monday "Pryor isnt ready to be a backup" Then on Thursday saying "Pryor is the starter this week"

Seems to me like a Reggie call. If thats the case....how much control does DA have?

Sure I want Knapp gone...but Im hoping it was DA that decided to get rid of him...not Reggie telling him to fire the OC...he picked out...

Also...does Reggie choose the OC? (Norv, Gailey, etc)

Doesnt that set up a (Cable/Hue dynamic)?
    Judas Priest, some of you act as though Allen is the only coach that's ever made a poor decision? How many poor/bad/stupid decisions did Al Davis make over the course of the last 25 years? too many to count so I'll give Allen the benefit of the doubt after one bad season... if this continues next year I'll be asking for his head too.
    UK.Raiderman.82 likes this.

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    If that's true it would be unfortunate. The only part of the team that ever showed any progress was the defense--in the last quarter of the season.

It would also be crappy for a head coach to go about firing all of his assistant coaches while he himself is retained. That would appear to be complete non-ownership for what went down this season.

The only exception would be if some highly proven DC wanted the job. Then we'd have to pull the plug on Tarver. But outside that, he should be kept for the 2013 season.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information