Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Pryor Named Starter Sunday

FROZEN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Someone on another forum said that Pryor is starting because the staff found out that its harder for defenses to pick off throws in the dirt than it is to pick off fluttering wobblers.

Not sure if its true.
    B. anthracis likes this.

Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_Raider_Fan View Post
    14 weeks too late. DA should have started playing Pryor about mid-September, following the Miami loss, when it was obvious Palmer was hurting the Raiders offense.
    Shoulda started pryor last year before the trade for Palmer was even made IMO. Gave up an arm n a leg.. still didn't make the playoffs.

They need to stop wasting development time on over the hill vets who AREN'T leaders who don't even give this team a chance to win.

Many people won't understand this line of thinking though... even though they 'claim' we are rebuilding.
    AF1PIMPN likes this.

blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    This is a good move. Raiders NEEDS to know what they have in Pryor. Even if the Raiders don't win the game, if he shows promise to be a NFL QB, they will know they can develop the lad. If not, at least there is footage of him playing so we can attempt to trade him (we might not get back what we used to draft him but maybe get SOMETHING for the kid) and possibly drafting a QB we want to develop.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Terrelle Pryor has waited nearly two seasons for a genuine opportunity in the NFL. That time is here.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen announced Friday that Pryor will start for the Raiders in their season finale against the San Diego Chargers. Matthew Leinart -- who has essentially been Tebow'd here -- will serve as Pryor's backup with Carson Palmer injured.

A third-round pick in the 2011 Supplemental Draft, Pryor has played sparingly this season, attempting just two passes to go with a single rush attempt.

Allen's decision shows the Raiders' desire to see what they have in Pryor, an athletic but raw talent who starred at Ohio State before scandal ended his collegiate career. Leinart struggled in place Palmer last week against the Carolina Panthers, completing 16 of 32 passes for 115 yards and an interception in a 17-6 loss.

Leinart is what he is at this point of his career, and the Raiders don't necessarily need to see more of him. Palmer might not even be back next season. Pryor is an unknown entity, and circumstances have conspired to give him what amounts to a four-quarter audition.

At the very least, you now have a reason to watch an otherwise meaningless Week 17 football game.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FROZEN View Post
    Someone on another forum said that Pryor is starting because the staff found out that its harder for defenses to pick off throws in the dirt than it is to pick off fluttering wobblers.
    Haha. That's gold. Don't forget kid can run tho.

AF1PIMPN likes this.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Well good luck Terrelle.

huggeebear likes this.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by FROZEN View Post

Not sure if its true.
    ... wait...

Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    I just hope they develop a gameplan that actually utilizes his skillset... with this staff I won't hold my breath though.

Charger is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    This makes the season finale more interesting. Either it will be a sack/INT fest for the Bolts' D or Pryor will give our defense fits and set new records.

kurupt_pitbull is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Matt Flynn started his first game and threw for 3 tds. His only other start of his career was over two years later (last year, last game of the season) and throws for 6 tds and 480 yards breaking franchise records.

And then he signs a 5 year contract with a new team and gets beat out by obviously a very good rookie.

Not saying that Pryor is going to do that because now that its been done, nothing says it cant be done again. However, if Pryor even comes close to this in his first start I can already predict the future of what will come across this board such as.............

WE HAVE OUR FUTURE QB. or NEXT YEAR PRYOR SHOULD START THE SEASON. or AL DAVIS WAS STILL A GENIUS AND OBVIOUSLY KNEW.

Because like some have already stated, we know what Leinart is. And it sucks. But I agree with this move 100%. Its the best move for the situation and even if it turns out bad, it still was the best decision.

But my take is even if he does horrible (which is very possible) Pryor should still be around for next season to see if he improves at all a year from now. We wont be getting a true young franchise QB yet for awhile unless some miracle happens over the next few years in the late rounds of the draft (which has also been done before). Or we just go belly up again next season, or God forbid the season after that and we end up with a suck for luck type of draft pick. But our true needs right now is not the QB.

Either way, Its always fun to see a change and this is something that could either be fun to watch or very dreadful. But either way, its very interesting to see what we got here.
    B. anthracis likes this.

HBD
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by fad View Post
    Thats because the order came from above. Reggie Mackenzie and Mark Davis need to know what they have and the only real way is to give him a live bullets/60 minutes audition and see if what can do.
    OR ... MattieL really Stunk it up in practice!
    ################################################## ####################################

• a football team Lives and DIES in the trenches.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by B. anthracis View Post
    This'll be interesting. It might be an indication of whether or not McKenzie is looking to draft a qb. But maybe not. It'll be Pryor's first start for an inept offense and weak playcaller in Greg Knapp. It's a pretty non-ideal situation for him to prove something. But if he can overcome the disadvantages and play well, then maybe he stops being a project and begins to become a starter.

Hopefully for Pryor this isn't his one and only shot to prove something. Most rookies get two seasons, not one game. Yeah, I know Pryor isn't a rookie but he's as close to being one as you can get without actually being one.
    Good post B.

Pryor has been royally shafted by Allen. 1 game to prove himself?! smh. He's damned either way. With no amount of snaps worth a damn throughout the season without players worth a damn, I feel he's being set up to fail if he so much as throws a ground ball or incomplete pass. 1 game isn't enough to prove himself. But best of luck TP6, I hope the force is with you son.
    B. anthracis likes this.

Hall of Famer

Pryor Named Starter Sunday

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HC Raider Fan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by huggeebear View Post
    Good post B.

Pryor has been royally shafted by Allen. 1 game to prove himself?! smh. He's damned either way. With no amount of snaps worth a damn throughout the season without players worth a damn, I feel he's being set up to fail if he so much as throws a ground ball or incomplete pass. 1 game isn't enough to prove himself. But best of luck TP6, I hope the force is with you son.
    Excuses already???

I hope Pryor tears it up. I really do, but I am personally not expecting much besides a few exciting scrambles.

If he stinks it up, I can already see all the excuses being posted in numerous threads throughout the entire off-season.
    coRaider and foodisgood70 like this.

Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see a common sense move...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information