Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Tommy Kelly- gentleman, statesman

Veteran
    a rebuttal to this quote from Vic Tafur

Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly made some comments about trying to take out Panthers quarterback Cam Newton that were taken out of context and upon close examination were misquoted in the Associated Press report. I was standing right there when he said it, and Kelly was calmly explaining what goes through a defensive player’s mind when his quarterback gets hurt, like Carson Palmer did.

Here is what Kelly is quoted as saying:

“You take our guy out, we’re going to go and try to take your guy out. We’re not out to hurt someone, but when that happens …”

Here is what he actually said, unedited off my tape recorder:

“You don’t ever want to see your quarterback get put out of the game. So, personally, we try to put their quarterback out of the game. You don’t try to do nothing illegal but you see someone put your quarterback out, it kind of makes you want to put theirs out.”

Defensive linemen try and sack and knock the starting quarterback out of the game. That’s what they do. Really. No one should be surprised by this.

Kelly was not angry, not out for revenge, just being honest about what he was thinking when Palmer went down. Taking out all the qualifiers in what he said, and not hearing the voice with which he said it, makes a big deal out of nothing.

Associated Press went big with Kelly’s intent to injure Newton, and Yahoo later followed up. Cam Newton kicking Kelly and later bumping, standing over and cursing out an official apparently wasn’t as big a deal. (The official, Jerome Boger not only didn’t eject Newton, but later weakly backtracked and said Newton didn’t bump him and said he meant to say Newton only “disrespectfully addressed him.” We’ll see if the league similarly coddles Newton.)

leafs43 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I don't agree with Kelly.

You should be trying to hit the opposing quarterback hard no matter the circumstances.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRaider View Post
    I was listening to the game on the radio, it was the Panthers broadcast. They were complaining about the calls on both teams. They said both teams were getting shafted and this was the worst officiated game they'd seen.
    Tom Flores, on the Raiders broadcast also blasted the officiating.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER RICH View Post
    I love the NFL official's fvcked up inconsistencies. Heaven forbid you hit a WR too hard making a play on the ball, but you can take a run and drill a QB from the blindside while he is standing still in the pocket, and that's fine.
    Bingo. One of the best observations of the season. Your statement should be given national attention. I mean it.

raiders4o8 is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Tommy kelly is a g.. I love it wen he gets like that.. It shows that he cares about the team..I love revenge.. That's wat football was all about.. Some if u guys bltch about this crap n that's y Godell ruined football cuz America is so soft now.... America ruined football .. N I remember after a great NHL season last year, America startrdbitchin about all the hits..u guys are ruinin sports wit u woosies

Pro Bowler
    I hate Tommy Kelly sooooooo much. The guy is all bark and no bite. He is one of those "fake tough guys" you hear about from other NFL players. Tommy Kelly is a lil bitch who plays with the guard or center for a few seconds while the opposing team picks up 10 to 100 yards.

He always seems to have something to say, but can never back it up with his play on the field. I really really really want him off my team.

He'd make a great Jet........
    trur8r, fad and foodisgood70 like this.

HOFBoundBrown is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Real football players let their play do all the talk.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Tommy Kelly- gentleman, statesman

Last week during the game the announcers were talking about how you build a defense around Tommy Kelly. Going on and on about his talent and how he's a keeper.

Chairman of the Board
    Another man stealing large chunks of $$$$ he sucks ass and will be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 9000 View Post
    Last week during the game the announcers were talking about how you build a defense around Tommy Kelly. Going on and on about his talent and how he's a keeper.
    They clearly don't watch every Raider game. I laugh when announcers say that the Raiders have a nasty front 4 with Seymour and Kelly

#32 Allen is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrific View Post
    Tom Kelly - all bark but no bite.
    Kelly did recorded his first sack last week.. and never miss games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
    Didn't see the game. Was the hit on Palmer kosher or was it cheap? If it was cheap then there's an unwritten rule of basically eye for eye.
    Nah, it wasnt a cheap shot at all but I've never seen a QB got hit hard like that in muh life. Palmer came back and DA didnt want him back in the game. X-rays came back negative.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Veteran
    Anytime you get the first quote from a player like this you have to know it's more then likely taken out of context.

Now someone mentioned how they love the inconsistencies from the NFL officiating and I know it's sarcasm but damn. It's not jus Raider games I'm seeing this happen in week-week.

Yesterdays game was a pure mess from the officials. The bright spot was listening to Steve Buerlien call out the officials. I've never heard a announcer call them out so much. I guess Steve didn't read the memo about company line speak.

Anyway if you think TK is a punk I have to disagree, I think the real punk on the field yesterday was Steve Smith. No penalty but clearly attacked Lamar Houston after that sh t w/Newton and TK. Smith Murphy and Newton are the real punks in this league. Hell, I even watched the backup QB for the Panthers shove Raider players on their sideline but the Refs just stand there like our Coach...nothing.

mike taylor is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by themiamiraider View Post
    I hate Tommy Kelly sooooooo much. The guy is all bark and no bite. He is one of those "fake tough guys" you hear about from other NFL players. Tommy Kelly is a lil bitch who plays with the guard or center for a few seconds while the opposing team picks up 10 to 100 yards.

He always seems to have something to say, but can never back it up with his play on the field. I really really really want him off my team.

He'd make a great Jet........
    I don't know if I'd call him "fake" Id sure wouldn't wanna start anything with him lol

MaxxxPayne is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Tommy Shows some emotion, and shows that he cares about his team, and what do some fans do... Call him a bad sportsman and want his ass out of Oakland... People put it in their head from the start of the season that he is a bum, but in reality, he has actually had another solid season (just like he has consistently put up solid season his entire tenure with this organization). He has outplayed Seymour the past two years. Of course our entire D has played bad during some games; but that cannot be put on him.

Is he overpaid, Yes, THIS season he is overpaid, but that is because he was given a long term contract (Which he lived up to nearly every season prior to this one)
    I hope he is given a shot to restructure.
    WymanV likes this.

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Dont worry folks. He can't get to the QB anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information