Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 350
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: Pryor must be REALLY bad

  1. #121
    ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKiev View Post
    Here is the reality you have to face Claps. Rodgers, and Ben have the ability to read a defense. It appears that Pryor does not--much like Russell. I mean come on, we both seen it during the preseason. Pryor was tentative to throw the ball, and even on the few plays where he made something happen, it was a "drop back and look for a place to scramble and hopefully make a play". In other words, it was a "scramble first" mentality. With players like Roethlisberger, there is a "read first" mentality. When that fails, he then looks to scramble. Pryor doesn't seem to have the mental skills to read a defense like a Big Ben/ Rodgers. Church.
    To be "fair"

    Rodgers didnt play until he was in his 4th season in the NFL.

    Big Ben operated in a very simplified offense that relied heavily on its running game his 1st two years.

    Of course those guys are better than Pryor when they were young and of course they are better than Pryor will ever be.

    I just think he must be really awful in practice in terms of throwing the ball. You think its "mental", but I think the dude knows he cant throw in tight windows in a pro style offense. Similar to Tebow.

    Tebow benefitted from a zone read scheme that created open windows for him to throw. Tebow had "decent" at best throwing skills. RG3, even Cam performed similar things. They are much more talented passers than Tebow but they still run that kind of system. I listened to Jaws on ESPN say that its a great way to make things easier for a young QB. That type of zone read/play action system doesnt call for a lot of "reads" and it makes it easier for the QB. Its why RG3 and Russell Wilson have QB rating's 100+ and Andrew Luck has a rating of 75. Its not because they are much better passers than Luck. Its because Luck is in an offense that requires a lot of reads and downfield throws, thus more interceptions, lower completion %. So if a star QB like Luck is struggling with the reads........Pryor would be dreadful in a conventional offense...especially one with Knapp.

    Since its clear as day that we have no intention of designing an offense around a player's strengths....

    Its why I know Pryor must be horrible trying to run this system in practice. He's just not a pro style QB. And since Knapp will be here, I think Coach Allen knows he'll never fit it......so they probably are going to cut him in the off season....nothing good can come from Pryor playing in the last game of the season in their minds.

  2. #122
    JoeKiev's Avatar
    JoeKiev is online now
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    To be "fair"

    Rodgers didnt play until he was in his 4th season in the NFL.

    Big Ben operated in a very simplified offense that relied heavily on its running game his 1st two years.

    Of course those guys are better than Pryor when they were young and of course they are better than Pryor will ever be.

    I just think he must be really awful in practice in terms of throwing the ball. You think its "mental", but I think the dude knows he cant throw in tight windows in a pro style offense. Similar to Tebow.

    Tebow benefitted from a zone read scheme that created open windows for him to throw. Tebow had "decent" at best throwing skills. RG3, even Cam performed similar things. They are much more talented passers than Tebow but they still run that kind of system. I listened to Jaws on ESPN say that its a great way to make things easier for a young QB. That type of zone read/play action system doesnt call for a lot of "reads" and it makes it easier for the QB. Its why RG3 and Russell Wilson have QB rating's 100+ and Andrew Luck has a rating of 75. Its not because they are much better passers than Luck. Its because Luck is in an offense that requires a lot of reads and downfield throws, thus more interceptions, lower completion %. So if a star QB like Luck is struggling with the reads........Pryor would be dreadful in a conventional offense...especially one with Knapp.

    Since its clear as day that we have no intention of designing an offense around a player's strengths....

    Its why I know Pryor must be horrible trying to run this system in practice. He's just not a pro style QB. And since Knapp will be here, I think Coach Allen knows he'll never fit it......so they probably are going to cut him in the off season....nothing good can come from Pryor playing in the last game of the season in their minds.
    If you can't tell the difference from what we have seen from pryor in those pre-season games and Ben R.'s first year as a QB, I don't know what to tell you. Pryor looks lost out on the field. He looks timid and unsure of his reads. Living in NW Pa., I watched Roeth. in the beginning of his career. From the get-go, he made reads and made sensible decisions based on those reads. Pryor doesn't even come close. Could that change? I doubt it. Some players just don't have "it". And making the presumption that Rodgers wouldn't have been able to make the basic reads, even if he played as a rookie is laughable and certainly shouldn't be used as "fact" to back up your argument. But, in the end, I hope Pryor gets the start this week and believe he should. But, you know as well as I do that if Pryor stinks it up, it will somehow be the fault that he hasn't had enough playing time and that some will certainly go as far as to say that Pryor should be the number 1 next year, or should at least be the number 2 going into training camp with the job for the number 1 being an open competition. Let's be realistic and presume that the coaching staff at least has some sort of gift for recognizing talent. Maybe Pryor is simply that bad. Maybe, his practices have been so awful that he doesn't even deserve but more than a few snaps with some gimmick plays,etc. I mean, this has happened before, has it not? JRuss was a flop, but we felt obligated to play him. We wasted a ton of time on a guy who just "needed time". If Claps had any say, Jruss would still be on the roster and the starting QB. lol. For some around here, the reality of who should be the starting QB goes well beyond who is truly qualified to be the starting QB. Some need there self-esteem built up, and Pryor being the starting QB will somehow "make that happen". lol.

  3. #123
    NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,114
    Ecnirp, why even provide a response to an obvious troll? It'll be the 4th thread this week locked up bc of him, let him talk to himself, he's not adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.
    JoeKiev likes this.

  4. #124
    Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
    To be "fair"

    Rodgers didnt play until he was in his 4th season in the NFL.

    Big Ben operated in a very simplified offense that relied heavily on its running game his 1st two years.

    Of course those guys are better than Pryor when they were young and of course they are better than Pryor will ever be.

    I just think he must be really awful in practice in terms of throwing the ball. You think its "mental", but I think the dude knows he cant throw in tight windows in a pro style offense. Similar to Tebow.

    Tebow benefitted from a zone read scheme that created open windows for him to throw. Tebow had "decent" at best throwing skills. RG3, even Cam performed similar things. They are much more talented passers than Tebow but they still run that kind of system. I listened to Jaws on ESPN say that its a great way to make things easier for a young QB. That type of zone read/play action system doesnt call for a lot of "reads" and it makes it easier for the QB. Its why RG3 and Russell Wilson have QB rating's 100+ and Andrew Luck has a rating of 75. Its not because they are much better passers than Luck. Its because Luck is in an offense that requires a lot of reads and downfield throws, thus more interceptions, lower completion %. So if a star QB like Luck is struggling with the reads........Pryor would be dreadful in a conventional offense...especially one with Knapp.

    Since its clear as day that we have no intention of designing an offense around a player's strengths....

    Its why I know Pryor must be horrible trying to run this system in practice. He's just not a pro style QB. And since Knapp will be here, I think Coach Allen knows he'll never fit it......so they probably are going to cut him in the off season....nothing good can come from Pryor playing in the last game of the season in their minds.
    There's a white horse in there somewhere.. Mark Davis WANTS to see what Pryor can do. it's his dad's last pick after all.. and if Pryor were to catch on and do well elsewhere I mean it would demoralize this franchise if we aren't turning the corner at the same juncture.

    All the rhetoric and comparisons aside.. because it's not fair to compare QBs who are good at very different things.. If Carson Palmer was getting us to playoffs the way Favre was helping his team get to the playoffs with Rodgers on the bench.. you wouldn't hear a peep from any of us about wanting to play Pryor to see what he's capable of. They are different situations... Favre kept jerking the the franchise around with his retirement decisions, a first round pick was spent on Rodgers and he was probably extremely adapted to the system at the point they decided to part with Favre.. not to mention the other factors.

    I for one have a good feeling about Pryor... I like his skillset. I also liked Tebow. So take it for what it's worth. To me being a quarterback is about a lot more than just being able to throw a 15 yard out or deep ball. And the throw Tebow made against the Steelers to win in the playoffs wasn't exactly a screen pass. There are a lot of plays in a playbook especially when a staff builds around their players' strengths. And momentum dictates a lot more in this game than most people ever give credit for. I'm huge on intangibles when it comes to this game. But that's just my own personal opinion.

  5. #125
    JoeKiev's Avatar
    JoeKiev is online now
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,344
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    Ecnirp, why even provide a response to an obvious troll? It'll be the 4th thread this week locked up bc of him, let him talk to himself, he's not adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.
    Because of me? lol! Look, just because you don't like my response, doesn't mean it isn't accurate. I mean,they are realities. Some Qb's have it and some don't. that coaching staff seems to think Pryor doesn't have it. That is obvious. I'd love to see you try debating what I posted, but we know that won't/can't happen. Have a Merry Christmas bro!

  6. #126
    jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    228
    Its simple.

    Lienart is in Oakland for one reason. He knows Knapps offense better than anyone else on the team.

    Pryor doesn't know the offense that well because he runs the scout team offense all week in practice.
    His job isnt to learn the Raiders offense, its to imitate the opposing teams playbook each week.

    The coaches play Lienart because they can call any play and he will know it. Pryor has a much more limited knowledge of the playbook because they are not teaching it to him. Period.

    What Pryor can do NO ONE knows. Not fans, not coaches, not Pryor himself. Its impossible to know until you get him in the game. They wont put him in the game until they teach him more plays.

    Oh and all those plays are designed for Palmer and Knapps "non mobile" QB offense. So its still no way to judge his talents, because they wouldnt be made for HIS skill set...
    The OC would have to design plays that work for Pryor. That would be a first this season. Change the scheme to better suit the talent.

    What WILL happen is he will get in, look decent at times, be able to extend plays with his mobility and get a few more first downs with his running. It will be better to watch than Leinart any day.

  7. #127
    AF1PIMPN is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    Not really understanding what point you're trying to make dude. How many cinder block footed qb's were there who never won **** either? Hell, we got two of them on the roster.

    Rg3 and luck, both mobile qb's, the game has changed, your post is outdated.
    He named all black QB's so it's quite clear what he's say'n. People like him wit their idiocy ideology will probably just stop watch'n da NFL in 5 years or so out of pure ignorance & hatred. I love it!

  8. #128
    JUSTWINBABY9111's Avatar
    JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by AF1PIMPN View Post
    He named all black QB's so it's quite clear what he's say'n. People like him wit their idiocy ideology will probably just stop watch'n da NFL in 5 years or so out of pure ignorance & hatred. I love it!
    If this is not the same person talking to himself I would be surprised. I know I can't be the only one to think this.
    JoeKiev and RaiderXLeo like this.

  9. #129
    DAYFM's Avatar
    DAYFM is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    Its simple.

    Lienart is in Oakland for one reason. He knows Knapps offense better than anyone else on the team.

    Pryor doesn't know the offense that well because he runs the scout team offense all week in practice.
    His job isnt to learn the Raiders offense, its to imitate the opposing teams playbook each week.

    The coaches play Lienart because they can call any play and he will know it. Pryor has a much more limited knowledge of the playbook because they are not teaching it to him. Period.

    What Pryor can do NO ONE knows. Not fans, not coaches, not Pryor himself. Its impossible to know until you get him in the game. They wont put him in the game until they teach him more plays.

    Oh and all those plays are designed for Palmer and Knapps "non mobile" QB offense. So its still no way to judge his talents, because they wouldnt be made for HIS skill set...
    The OC would have to design plays that work for Pryor. That would be a first this season. Change the scheme to better suit the talent.

    What WILL happen is he will get in, look decent at times, be able to extend plays with his mobility and get a few more first downs with his running. It will be better to watch than Leinart any day.

    You're actually wrong. They can't call any play for Leinart because he has the arm strength of a fetus. The plays they call for Leinart consist of two foot routes and the VERY occasional bomb 10 yards down the field.

  10. #130
    jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYFM View Post
    You're actually wrong. They can't call any play for Leinart because he has the arm strength of a fetus. The plays they call for Leinart consist of two foot routes and the VERY occasional bomb 10 yards down the field.
    Thats because those are the plays they want to call....but yes his arm strength is BAD.

  11. #131
    jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    228
    The guy we NEED to evaluate is this guy...


    2007 Hall Trophy (U.S. Army Player of the Year)[25]
    2007 PARADE National Player of the Year and All-American[26]
    2008 Pete Dawkins Trophy (U.S. Army All-American Bowl MVP)
    2008 U.S. Army All-American MVP
    2008 Big Ten Freshman of the Year (coaches)[27]
    2008 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (media)[27]
    2009 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Sportsmanship Award
    2009 Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year
    2009 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (media)
    2010 Rose Bowl MVP
    2010 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (coaches and media)
    2010 Big Ten MVP runner-up
    2011 Miller-Digby Award


    Oh yeah...Thats Pryor!

    So he does this in his career but can't play....Right. you do realize he threw the ball sometimes at Ohio state right?

    Maybe Tressell should be our OC...lol...

  12. #132
    AF1PIMPN is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTWINBABY9111 View Post
    If this is not the same person talking to himself I would be surprised. I know I can't be the only one to think this.
    It's painless 4 da brainless 2 think about nothingness. Good luck wit dat Dick.

  13. #133
    jrhone is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmark View Post
    I do know they watch him everyday in practice and we don't. And assuming they are as incompetent as you say (nice strawman) they have this grand plan to actually hinder themselves by denying Pryor the field in order to get themselves fired? Might want to look for a tin foil hat or black helicopters if that is teh case.

    Bottom line is which is more likely: Pryor somehow, someway managed to slip through the grasp of all of the other teams in the supplemental draft. Teams that actually have GMs but that doesn't matter because they knew what they were "giving up"? His godlike, Cam-Newtonesque skill somehow that Al was only able to discern?

    Or:

    The rest of the NFL saw it clearly: a project and a reach of which any two is a problem in the NFL and Pryor was/is both. Most Qbs that are "cant' miss" prospects in the NFL do just that, miss. And last I checked no one except the homers in Raider Nation think he is anything other then what he is: another fine college QB that won't pan out in the NFL.

    Occum's razor applies to this situation quite easily. Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,in other words, in the simplest terms, the correct answer is often the simplest one. Sure seems the case here.


    Yeah just like how Tom Brady got drafted in the SIXTH ROUND.

    Patriots were terrible in choosing that guy.....

    that means every GM passed on Tom Brady 5 times before he got drafted....

    Great QBs like Spergon Wynn, Giovanni Carmazzi, Tee Martin, and Chris Redman were all picked before Tom Brady.

    GMs do make mistakes.

  14. #134
    Mr Terrific is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,129
    Being an athlete that can run is fine, but if you don't have it between the ears, then it's virtually impossible for him to play the QB position. Pryor mechanics in throwing the ball has been atrocious, in preseason and his previous years in college. People stating that it's to early, we haven't seen him, well I have seen enough from him in college and in preseason to know that it won't cut it in the NFL. Pryor accuracy is pretty deplorable, bad mechanics in his throwing motion, and hasn't shown the ability to make quick decisions. Pryor can't make all the throws which a Brady. Rodgers, Manning, Luck can, he is limited in his options to throw the rock. You think Jamarcus Russell floaters throwing downfield is bad, well Pryor throws some up for grabs balls also. I wouldn't be surprise if it will be his last game as a Raider next week. I hope he proves me wrong. Maybe they can convert him into a tight end or a receiver, because he is a good athlete.
    Commit2Excel likes this.

  15. #135
    blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Terrific View Post
    Being an athlete that can run is fine, but if you don't have it between the ears, then it's virtually impossible for him to play the QB position. Pryor mechanics in throwing the ball has been atrocious, in preseason and his previous years in college. People stating that it's to early, we haven't seen him, well I have seen enough from him in college and in preseason to know that it won't cut it in the NFL. Pryor accuracy is pretty deplorable, bad mechanics in his throwing motion, and hasn't shown the ability to make quick decisions. Pryor can't make all the throws which a Brady. Rodgers, Manning, Luck can, he is limited in his options to throw the rock. You think Jamarcus Russell floaters throwing downfield is bad, well Pryor throws some up for grabs balls also. I wouldn't be surprise if it will be his last game as a Raider next week. I hope he proves me wrong. Maybe they can convert him into a tight end or a receiver, because he is a good athlete.
    If you replaced Pryor with Tebow, your post still makes a lot of sense

    with that said, I hope he proves me wrong also.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •