Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: OC candidates?

Outta Oakland74 is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie

OC candidates?

Since everyone (including myself) is so sick of knapp's atrocious play calling I'd like to see some discussion on who could replace him. Good OC's are hard to find, but that being said I'd like to see some discussion on who to bring in to replace knapp instead of just complaining about him. My vote goes to David Shaw. Bay Area native, he went to James Logan high do you know he might actually be a raider fan. Plus he's had a previous history here so it could be a good fit. Any thoughts?

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    I believe he just a huge raise and contract extension at Stanford.

Pac-12 notebook: Stanford inks David Shaw to 'long-term' extension - CBSSports.com
    Naphtali and JUSTWINBABY9111 like this.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Outta Oakland74 View Post
    Since everyone (including myself) is so sick of knapp's atrocious play calling I'd like to see some discussion on who could replace him. Good OC's are hard to find, but that being said I'd like to see some discussion on who to bring in to replace knapp instead of just complaining about him. My vote goes to David Shaw. Bay Area native, he went to James Logan high do you know he might actually be a raider fan. Plus he's had a previous history here so it could be a good fit. Any thoughts?

If David Shaw came to the Raiders it would be as a HC replacement for Allen not as an OC.....
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......
    “We’re not very good … We suck. I am embarrassed.” Charles Woodson....
    Counting the days until this regime is gone....

The AzzAzzin is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I think we should go out and get a guy named Greg Knapp...O wait...

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by The AzzAzzin View Post
    Aw, man! You beat me to it.
    Raider Ran and G-MoNeY like this.

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think there is something more going on here. Yes I think Knapp is a problem in regards to game-planning and game-calling. I think he is subpar compared to other OCs around the league and thus a handicap. However, I think a very important factor on him being so disliked by the fanbase is that he is arrogant and doesn't ever recognize he might be part of the problem. At the beginning of the season he blamed time to get the schemes right and now he is basically saying in so many words that there is lack of execution and we still need more time to get it right, so preaching patience.

How about there is lack of talent on his part to do a more creative playcalling particularly in the red zone + designing his schemes and plays to fit our players (great or not great) talents?

I think that's why most of us are willing to give Tarver a second year and not Knapp. Tarver had a way harder hand to deal with with the dismal talent we have on D. Knapp took a decent O and basically, like a LEGO, destroyed it and try to rebuild it and didn't even come close to resembling what we had to begin with. Tarver had 0 to build on and at least the D on some games is showing up. I look forward to the last 2 games just to see if the D can compete.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by The AzzAzzin View Post
    You made me LOL thanks for the Laugh.

thanks blackhole john for the sig
    Derrick Burgess is my new fav Raider Go Burgess!

is very sick of the drama on here, hrmm.

RIP ROMELO!! u will always be remembered bro!

Hall of Famer
    This is all very hypothetical since Knapp still is the OC of the Raiders and there's been no sign of the brass being ready to let him go. But IF he is fired one of the first people I think could come into play would be Marty Morhinweg, OC of the Eagles. Reggie interviewed him for the HC position and he's a WC guy so he could be a good fit. And since Andy Reid departing Philly is the worst kept secret in sports, Morhinweg will probably be unemployed come january.

Hall of Famer
    For an OC, I would give the following guys a look

1. Holmgren - Could be tempted to come back to coaching or at the very least come as an offensive consultant in his version of the WCO and instant credibility

2. Norv Turner - veritable offensive guru as long as he's not the HC (could be tempted to come with an assistant HC title)

3. Marty Morhinweg - very good with the WCO and has worked with Andy Reid a long time

4. Rob Chudzinski - if Rivera gets canned after this season, I'd like to see this guy in Oakland. He's turned into quite the OC and is responsible for Gates, Bubba Franks and Kellen Winslow turning into star TEs. Not to mention turned around one of the worst offenses in the NFL and is known for being able to adapt his scheme to the personnel

5. Whisenhunt - all about the vertical offense and using the run to set up the pass

We also need to bring in a good O line coach. TBH, I'd like to see Bob Wylie and Steve Wiz come back to coach the O line. If we can't get them, maybe Tony Sparano if Rex gets canned in NY. This line has regressed badly and needs some kind of mean streak to play with the big boys

This is all pointless though if RM doesn't get some decent players in here that play with some balls. So far all I have seen is players coming to collect a check. (Rookies and a few others have been exceptions)

This training staff and team doctors have to go too, they obviously haven't done anything to keep this team healthy the past few years. Something has to get done about that

We really need a dependable WR that can make the tough catches consistently so our other WRs can be freed up to make plays. Our RB situation could be better but I think with DMC either on the way out or taking a major paycut so we can sign another decent RB to run by committee it will get better. We need a shifty type back like McCoy in the backfield. Goodson seems like he's got a little of that but a Darren Sproles type of HB would help a lot

I like Palmer but his bonehead gunslinging throws into double and triple coverage have got to stop. He's trying way too hard to do too much and I don't blame him with the lack of talent on this team but he's killing himself and the chances the team can hold on for a win when he throws like that. If the running game can get better and be more consistent, I don't see him doing it as much.
    Naphtali and pantera55 like this.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    ^^^ you think Holmgren is coming back as an OC?

Really??

Chairman of the Board
    David shaw is a head coach, and I believe Ran just commented on it. He just got a contract extension from Stanford
    Raider Ran likes this.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

All-Pro
    Any one but Knapp!

I want a proven/experienced OC with creative play calling that suits our players strengths.

Oh..wait we have Al Saunders.
    “People who shut their eyes to reality simply invite their own destruction”
    -James Baldwin

"Every time you stay out late; every time you sleep in; every time you miss a workout; every time you don't give 100% - You make it that much easier for me to beat you."
    -Unknown

Hard work without talent is a shame but talent without hard work is a tragedy!

Chairman of the Board
    If people are going to talk about potential or possible OC's how about being realistic. Please suggest and recommend coaches that currently run similar schemes and offenses. The idea they are going to overhaul a system they just implemented is absurd!
    Raider Ran likes this.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    If people are going to talk about potential or possible OC's how about being realistic. Please suggest and recommend coaches that currently run similar schemes and offenses. The idea they are going to overhaul a system they just implemented is absurd!
    Why is it absurd? If they go back to a power blocking scheme, it's not like they have ran it before?

Just like many have stated before, execution is more important than scheme.
    “People who shut their eyes to reality simply invite their own destruction”
    -James Baldwin

"Every time you stay out late; every time you sleep in; every time you miss a workout; every time you don't give 100% - You make it that much easier for me to beat you."
    -Unknown

Hard work without talent is a shame but talent without hard work is a tragedy!

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Fans dont think about the perception the Raider organization has created for themselves. They have been the worst team in the NFL over the last 10 years. They have gone through 7 HC's since Gruden and likely the same amount of coordinators? This team is still in cap trouble so they will still be handicapped in aquiring key free agents for next year. If they are looking for a new OC next year, that will mean to ALL coaching prospects that if you dont score 20 points a game in your first year, you are fired.

Does that intrigue any note worthy offensive coordinators to even interview for a job? I bet Holmgren is just begging for the opportunity. Come on guys, be realistic, yes I hope we get a new o coordinator, but dont expect it to be a big name guy who has had a lot of success in the past. There will be a lot of other jobs out there after the season for teams that actually run a stable organization.
    Naphtali and JUSTWINBABY9111 like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information