Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: the knapp conundrum

Hall of Famer

the knapp conundrum

Gregory Knapp had by most accounts been horrible his last 3 years with the Raiders. The problem goes so much deeper than that though.

He was ran out if OAK his last stint and we showed a drastic improvement over that time. Today Phil Simms on NFL radio said that he believes that coaches make stars by putting them the players in the right situation. When has old Greggy done that? He has a believe that his system will work no matter the circumstance. We can't afford that thinking for the next couple years. I would much rather watch a team score 7 than 3...maybe it's just me though.

He has no idea what to do with his talent.,.see the regression of our WR corps, DMC, and the fact Reece can have 200 yards one game and 5 the next.

Now the conundrum part. Does DA admit he's made a mistake or go all in next year with the same garbage? If hre stays with greg...I see Knapp being the interim head coach this time next year.

He has failed here before so he doesn't get a pass, and if he comes back next year expect to see venom at least once a week from me personally about the man who knew too little about football.
    RaiduhSmith, POKE, IRO1977 and 1 others like this.

Chairman of the Board
    what if DA and RM don't think they made a mistake? What if they realize that with the players they have and all the injuries they have had to deal with that Gregg Knapp isn't a problem at all and that what they really need to do is bring in better players and find a way to keep the few players we do have now healthy.
    djh_raider likes this.

danax is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    DA has made zero insinuations that he has less than full faith in the offensive scheme, although he did say they'd tweaked the ZBS. So, for him to fire Knapp after the season would be surprising to me and would make him look like his current faith was just a lot of BS.
    MadBomber24 and djh_raider like this.

Hall of Famer

the knapp conundrum

The better players thin would work for a team that didn't regress so badly with theSAME playmakers on offense. It would work if this was the 1st time knapp failed in O-Town. It would work if playmakers like Reece were given a chance every week. It would work if it wasnt run/run/pass every 3 and out.

If you dont see knapp as a probl you either have goggles on or don't watch the games.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by reapersgt View Post
    The better players thin would work for a team that didn't regress so badly with theSAME playmakers on offense. It would work if this was the 1st time knapp failed in O-Town. It would work if playmakers like Reece were given a chance every week. It would work if it wasnt run/run/pass every 3 and out.

If you dont see knapp as a probl you either have goggles on or don't watch the games.
    same playmakers? you must be watching last years games and thinking they are from this year. We don't have JC who had us at 4-2. We haven't had Ford at all who made several huge plays for us last year. We don't have Bush who was our leading rusher last year. DMAC has missed a bunch of games again. DHB has missed time and been banged up in other games. Moore missed all of training camp and a game and can't catch the ball consistently anyway. We have had starting O linemen miss games and we have no depth at any position.

You are blind if you think this years team has had even close to the same playmakers available as last year.

Hall of Famer
    I actually wouldn't mind Knapps system, if someone else called the plays.
    Thats my biggest problem with him, he doesn't have instincts for calling the right play at the right time.

The redzone has been terrible this year.
    IRO1977 and Artois like this.

Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Whatever happened to the screen game with DMC? Does anyone on the coaching staff realize that he is most dangerous in open space? Poor evaluating. Knapp needs to go, not drawing up right plays, too predictable at times, way too many stalled drives in the redzone.
    POKE and IRO1977 like this.

Hall of Famer
    It won't surprise me if Knapp stays and they let him get the players to run his system. If a system is put in place and players are signed(FA) and drafted to fit the scheme then its less of an impact when a player leaves or gets injured. Forming a scheme around certain talent is a quick patch and not good for the long outlook because if that player goes down then your screwed as opposed to everyone fitting the scheme and plugging players in.
    TarHeelRaider likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidersman321 View Post
    Whatever happened to the screen game with DMC? Does anyone on the coaching staff realize that he is most dangerous in open space? Poor evaluating. Knapp needs to go, not drawing up right plays, too predictable at times, way too many stalled drives in the redzone.
    we tried several screens with him early in the year and teams were keying on DMAC so much that the screens were never close to being there. Thats why we have run screens for Goodson and Reece instead. They don't garner the attention that DMAC does so teams are less likely to have a guy designated to run straight to them on a pass play.

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    he's not a good coach, history shows this

its not debatable
    Chiefhater, POKE, 0utlaw and 6 others like this.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderLUVjen View Post
    It won't surprise me if Knapp stays and they let him get the players to run his system. If a system is put in place and players are signed(FA) and drafted to fit the scheme then its less of an impact when a player leaves or gets injured. Forming a scheme around certain talent is a quick patch and not good for the long outlook because if that player goes down then your screwed as opposed to everyone fitting the scheme and plugging players in.
    You make a good point there. At the same time, I believe that a coordinator's playbook should have enough plays drawn up to cover everything in both the running game and the passing game. A good coordinator will have that, will then look at the players he has on hand, and work out which plays will fit which player. In terms of the passing game, we have DHB who is running way too much across the middle. Dude is money on the deep out/deep curl, bubble screens etc. Moore is the slick guy with lovely agility, yet he appears to be getting the ball more on the outside. Haven't seen enough deep balls in the past few weeks either to stretch the field vertically.

Instead, Knapp pretty much as installed his favored blocking scheme and passing patterns, and let the players sink or swim. Would I like to see Knapp get another year? I really don't know. Mark Davis don't like Knapp though, so it wouldn't surprise me if Knapp is gone. I have no problems with the west coast scheme with a zbs, and I think we have players who can fit that type of scheme. At the same time, the coaches also need to be held accountable as to how they plug players into the scheme. Knapp hasn't impressed me in that regard.
    SHWoff, rhumbob, IRO1977 and 1 others like this.
    "If you want something, go get it. Don't let anyone convince you that it's impossible. Make the impossible possible. Do whatever's needed to make it happen. Go at it with both hands, take it in stride, and hit paydirt....."
    ME 11-19-2009

Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    what if DA and RM don't think they made a mistake? What if they realize that with the players they have and all the injuries they have had to deal with that Gregg Knapp isn't a problem at all and that what they really need to do is bring in better players and find a way to keep the few players we do have now healthy.
    lmao!

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    hahahahahaha

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy316 View Post
    You make a good point there. At the same time, I believe that a coordinator's playbook should have enough plays drawn up to cover everything in both the running game and the passing game. A good coordinator will have that, will then look at the players he has on hand, and work out which plays will fit which player. In terms of the passing game, we have DHB who is running way too much across the middle. Dude is money on the deep out/deep curl, bubble screens etc. Moore is the slick guy with lovely agility, yet he appears to be getting the ball more on the outside. Haven't seen enough deep balls in the past few weeks either to stretch the field vertically.

Instead, Knapp pretty much as installed his favored blocking scheme and passing patterns, and let the players sink or swim. Would I like to see Knapp get another year? I really don't know. Mark Davis don't like Knapp though, so it wouldn't surprise me if Knapp is gone. I have no problems with the west coast scheme with a zbs, and I think we have players who can fit that type of scheme. At the same time, the coaches also need to be held accountable as to how they plug players into the scheme. Knapp hasn't impressed me in that regard.
    Yea I'm not impressed either, I'm stuck in the middle with wanting him here or gone. I would like to see our staff stay together for the sake of continuity.

I will be ok if RM keeps all the coaches and continues to drill at our cap.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderLUVjen View Post
    Yea I'm not impressed either, I'm stuck in the middle with wanting him here or gone. I would like to see our staff stay together for the sake of continuity.

I will be ok if RM keeps all the coaches and continues to drill at our cap.
    I have no problem with continuity either. However, I do feel as though this offense won't have much of a learning curve to pick up if we can Knapp in favor of bringing another west coast zone guy in.
    "If you want something, go get it. Don't let anyone convince you that it's impossible. Make the impossible possible. Do whatever's needed to make it happen. Go at it with both hands, take it in stride, and hit paydirt....."
    ME 11-19-2009

Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information