Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Did you see what the Jets did with Tebow? Likely, the deal with Pryor is the same

Carboran is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran

Did you see what the Jets did with Tebow? Likely, the deal with Pryor is the same

The Jets effectively made Tebow their 3rd stringer. All year fans clamored about him, but apparently he just sucked.

The deal with Pryor is likely the same. A lot of hype, (actually I don't even know if there is a lot of hype outside of five very vocal posters on this board), but the coaching staff likely sees nothing in Pryor.

And BTW, it is very rare, at least I can't think of an example, where a QB's talent is just completely unnoticed by the coaching staff. And please note there is a big difference between a Journeyman, who succeeds eventually and someone who is just not good.

It is highly unlikely that the coaching staff literally has this hidden gem and cannot see his talents. These people are PAID to see that. I just can't believe that Pryor is showing flashes of brilliance all the time and the coaching staff is just refusing to see them.

Of course, Ryan is a terrible coach, too.
    Mr Terrific likes this.

Palehorse is offline Banned
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Carboran View Post
    The Jets effectively made Tebow their 3rd stringer. All year fans clamored about him, but apparently he just sucked.

The deal with Pryor is likely the same. A lot of hype, (actually I don't even know if there is a lot of hype outside of five very vocal posters on this board), but the coaching staff likely sees nothing in Pryor.

And BTW, it is very rare, at least I can't think of an example, where a QB's talent is just completely unnoticed by the coaching staff. And please note there is a big difference between a Journeyman, who succeeds eventually and someone who is just not good.

It is highly unlikely that the coaching staff literally has this hidden gem and cannot see his talents. These people are PAID to see that. I just can't believe that Pryor is showing flashes of brilliance all the time and the coaching staff is just refusing to see them.

So, just do exactly what they have been doing? He is currently our third stringer...

raiderjohn622 is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    During the season 2nd and 3rd stringers won't even see more than 5% of the practice snaps. 3rd stringers usually are on the scout team, where they emulate the opposition. You maybe right that they've seen enough during training camp and the reps he did get during the season and concluded that he needs a lot of work. Then again, maybe Knapp doesn't have the mind to employ a running quarterback, or designing option type plays.

All-Pro
    Give the kid some time.

Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Ryan with 2 afc championship games in 5 years, and some of the best defenses seen in the last 10 years is terrible as head coach and coordinator?

And please note there is a big difference between a Journeyman, who succeeds eventually and someone who is just not good.
    And please note there is a big difference between coaching/personnel people in organizations that have different views on how to develop them

And please note there is a big difference between the jets the last few years, compared to where they are now because the front office has been lousy and tebow was brought in to distract from that

And please note there is a big difference between Tebow who won a playoff game for denver and Pryor who's done nothing in the league

And please note there is a big difference between a post like this that's complete trash and a poster who should realize the topic is irrelevant in the grand scheme of where the raiders are at esp at the end of the season

Hall of Famer

Did you see what the Jets did with Tebow? Likely, the deal with Pryor is the same

So youre saying everyone knew that rich Gannon was going to be a beast, but didn't feel like playing him?

Pryor needs snaps to tune his game. He has been getting nothing since training camp. Let him run the 1st team offense a couple weeks and see if he can develop. What do we have to lose? We won our home finale against a division rival, let him grow!

Nobody realistically expects him to be the man next year, but the skills are there (unlike tebow) he just needs a chance to grow.

OaklandRdr is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by reapersgt View Post
    So youre saying everyone knew that rich Gannon was going to be a beast, but didn't feel like playing him?

Pryor needs snaps to tune his game. He has been getting nothing since training camp. Let him run the 1st team offense a couple weeks and see if he can develop. What do we have to lose? We won our home finale against a division rival, let him grow!

Nobody realistically expects him to be the man next year, but the skills are there (unlike tebow) he just needs a chance to grow.
    I think Pryor could develop into a good QB, but as we all say time will tell. Too bad he was sick last week, it would have been a great op for him to get more reps. Lets see if he gets a shot against either the Panthers or Dolts. I would really like to watch him play this season.

ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer

I'm up in this thread and Im not reading sh*t

Hall of Famer
    There were whispers earlier in the year from Jets players that they thought Tebow was terrible and I expect Ryan didn't want to embarrass them and the team by playing a QB that the team had no faith in. McElroy may stink things up but the Jets feel he could be a future player and it's obvious that they have seen enough of Tebow to come to the same conclusion John Elway did which is that he's not an NFL quarterback. Really if there was any shred or indication Tebow is a player he would be starting this weekend and the fact he isn't speaks to what the coaches and players think of his abilities.

As for Pryor I think the Raiders have reservations about him and they aren't going to throw him to the wolves until they think he's ready. If he gets cut in the offseason we know they think he will never be ready but if they keep him around it likely means they see enough in him to bring him along slowly. The offseason will be telling.

Chairman of the Board
    Tebow and Pryor are on an NFL roster.

There's only 1,700 or so men in the entire world that can make that claim on any given Sunday.

Consequently, Tebow/Pryor>all the rest of us that aren't on an NFL roster.
    Raidermofojeff likes this.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

ecnirp is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post

There's only 1,700 or so men in the entire world that can make that claim on any given Sunday.

The problem with the Jets/Tebow..

Is Tebow is not conventional.

Gruden said on Mike and Mike that a coach needs to know how to utilize its players. If the coach doesnt, then they either waste a player's talents or put players on the field in pointless situations.

Its kind of like putting a RB in a zone scheme who....errrr..nevermind.

Anyway. Tebow may indeed be terrible....in a conventional offense. In a spread offense? He's decent. Cam is good in a spread offense. RG3 is very good in spread offense.

What would Pryor be? We'll likely never know.
    SoCalR8r likes this.

Thedude17 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post

What's your point?

Chiefhater is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I don't see how the situations are similar at all. Pryor actually moved up the depth chart. At least for a game or two.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedude17 View Post
    What's your point?
    That for whatever they aren't, they're good enough to make a roster that thousands of others wish they could be on.

I respect them if only for that.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    i'm sorry but pryor is nowhere near as bad a QB as tebow is.

LOL

i dont think he's going anywhere, is there really a better 3rd string QB out there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information