Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Been giving this draft some thought

Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Been giving this draft some thought

The way I see it, our biggest issue in this draft is leverage. I think many of us here agree that the best move in this draft is to trade back, but I worry that we will not have the leverage we need without a true star in the draft and our dearth of picks. However, I think there are several good options for trading partners that are looking to add Manti Te'o. He is the player we will be able to leverage best, so we should be calling the Eagles, Ravens, and Bears to see if they're interested in acquiring our pick. If we get the Eagles' pick, we will still be high enough to grab Joeckel, Moore and Jenkins. If we get the Ravens or Bears, we will still likely be in range for Dee Milliner, or someone like Mingo if he slips a little due to size. If we stay where we are, there is a multitude of talented defensive linemen in this draft so hopefully we can find one that's phenomenal.

Veteran
    To me it really is about the compelte draft strategy and what we have to give up. We need impact players. Can we trade down and still get one? Also where is the depth in the draft. If we need certain postions and there is no depth that adds more need. If there is alot of depth then we have more options.

The draft thought to be deep in DT's. With this in mind, should we go with DE or MLB with our first pick and DT later? If we end up with a high piock 3-5, can we trade down a little and still get an impact player (does jot need to be a high 2nd round pick)? Note, we need leaders on our D as well. Manti may not be a top 5 pick, but he is the only impact MLB and has all the intangibles to be the leader of our D for years to come. If we can trade down a little and get him that is where I would go.

One other equation that I am not bringing in is FA. What can we get there? Iam hoping that Aso is realeaed and comes back. That itself will make a difference for our D. Of course we still need to improve our OL. I suspect that we will focus on the OL in later rounds or in FA. I am not sure about what FA's are out there though. This may chnage some of my thoughts going forward.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I think teams need to approach us and not the other way around when it comes to trading this way they make a desperate move and give up more vs the other way.

All-Pro
    I'm torn on either to build depth or get the best we can. I kind of figure we will still be irrelevant next year. I would rather take the top available talent both in 2013 & 2014 drafts. I would hate to pass up on a great player (T'eo for example... maybe?) to get a bunch of average 2nd & 3rd rounders.

Sithman is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders Baby! View Post
    The way I see it, our biggest issue in this draft is leverage. I think many of us here agree that the best move in this draft is to trade back, but I worry that we will not have the leverage we need without a true star in the draft and our dearth of picks. However, I think there are several good options for trading partners that are looking to add Manti Te'o. He is the player we will be able to leverage best, so we should be calling the Eagles, Ravens, and Bears to see if they're interested in acquiring our pick. If we get the Eagles' pick, we will still be high enough to grab Joeckel, Moore and Jenkins. If we get the Ravens or Bears, we will still likely be in range for Dee Milliner, or someone like Mingo if he slips a little due to size. If we stay where we are, there is a multitude of talented defensive linemen in this draft so hopefully we can find one that's phenomenal.
    The problem with that is dee mililner and Mingo are overrated! You trade back hat far yur chances of getting an impact player is slim

TheDoctor is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Diesel View Post
    I think teams need to approach us and not the other way around when it comes to trading this way they make a desperate move and give up more vs the other way.
    Exactly. If anything, you make it appear that either you are considering a certain player at that pick, or another team is wanting to trade up for that player. This causes teams to get desperate and give up more picks. This was the case for RG3 and the Rams/Redskins deal. The hype was that RG3 was there available, while multiple teams were hoping to have him on their team. Don't force the issue and make it known that you don't find it ideal to take any of the players at that point.

raiderwood is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Been giving this draft some thought

With the defensive talent at the top of the draft, if there were ever a time to switch to the 3-4, it's now. Think about it, chances are good we'll be in a position to draft Star L or Jarvis Jones, who both translate to 3-4.

Scenario 1: 3 DE rotation with #73, #99, and #90, #93 at DT, #56, #52, Jarvis Jones, and a wily inexpensive veteran to anchor the LBs. I really think Jarvis Jones is a game changing 3-4 OLB, of the Terrell Suggs mold. It would be a shame if KC or Jax got him. We really need him but only if we switch to 3-4.

Scenario 2: same DE rotation, DT Star, and we'd need to pickup 2 starting LBs with the $$$ saved from shedding #93 and #92. Stronger against the run.

Neither scenario includes #55 or #92, and require us to keep #52 on the roster. Not sure of the $ implications, but i think the second option is better because it allows us more flexibility to spend more on the DB position which is our weakest area by far on the team. That's assuming we can gain cap space thru subtraction at DT.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but if you're going to rebuild, it helps to utilize the quality resources you already have.
    Raiders Baby! likes this.

Veteran
    Drafting alone isn't going to right the ship. Free Agency is going to be important too. They likely won't have the money to land a big name free agent but they can bring in guys with some upside like Wheeler last year.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

defiance is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Just give me Logan Thomas ( the big ben head / Kapernick tools) and ill be happy camper tbh.... and that ILB witht the cool tatoos lol... thats it

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by defiance View Post
    Just give me Logan Thomas ( the big ben head / Kapernick tools) and ill be happy camper tbh.... and that ILB witht the cool tatoos lol... thats it
    Did you watch Logan Thomas at all this year? He looked horrible. We already have a better version of Logan Thomas on the roster now. Pryor.
    KEVIN WYNNE likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER_Dave View Post
    Did you watch Logan Thomas at all this year? He looked horrible. We already have a better version of Logan Thomas on the roster now. Pryor.

Actally no, first time seein him was 20 mins ago .. youtube highlights so.... just was aware of his body language n pocket presence is all....

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by defiance View Post
    Actally no, first time seein him was 20 mins ago .. youtube highlights so.... just was aware of his body language n pocket presence is all....
    He looked promising last year, but really fell off this year. He REALLY struggles with accuracy.

Hall of Famer
    I take it back.... I want the Rich Ganon clone in Tyler Wilson tbh...... plzzzz..Actually alot like Tony Romo... ill take that charisma any day... takes hits and delivers

Hall of Famer
    If we don't get any offers by draft day I would just get BPA. If Mant'i is there, we should get him. He's good in coverage, has passion for the game and is a good leader to build around. Get a couple of good DTs to soak up the blocks for him so he has the chance to make plays rather than shed blockers all day and get at least one good CB in FA

Rodgers-Cromartie and Cary Williams are both FAs and would be dependable in the secondary. Picking one of them up would help at least one side of the field and then see if we can get a good rookie CB in the later rounds to help out. I'd like to see what Adams brings to the table for the other side of the field. He's an intriguing pick up

I hate to say it but see if you can trade Houston for a 2nd round pick, we have more pressing needs than keeping him on the line. We need a speed rusher like yesterday. If no one bites, then put him inside. He's better as pass rushing DT

Pat Sims is also a FA from the Bengals. They have Geno Atkins so he's expendable. He should come at a low cost since he went on IR this year and would be a good guy to throw in the DT rotation

Not sure if any good pass rushers are available after the 3rd but finding one either through the draft or FA is imperative. Move Shaughnessy to the other side and find a speed rusher
    losdogdagreat likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Will there be any Barry Sanders in the draft or a Thurman Thomas? FA? tired of the bruisers playing hurt unless there Bo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information