Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: A Football Life: Marcus Allen

#32 Allen is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Holy Smokes... What Marcus did to Jack Lambert in playoffs was hilarious. Jack didnt have a chance to tackle Marcus... best cut-back rb ever. I was too young to realize Marcus went 9-1 against the Raiders as a Chef. Ouch, I didnt like to hear that... go eat a dick, Marty!

Allen was my idol growin up..he meant a lot to me. He was just fearless and one of the best scorers ever played the game. I'll never forget the day I met him in Canton...first Raiders player I met.. so cool..it was meant to be. I had no idea I was goin to meet him that day.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

Carboran is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by #32 Allen View Post
    Ouch, I didnt like to hear that... go eat a dick, Marty!
    Marty... haha

Former Chiefs Coach Marty Schottenheimer On Raider Week - SB Nation Kansas City
    #32 Allen likes this.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lix333 View Post
    Well, Nichole Simpsons sister went on the stand and told the world under oath that Marcus Allen was banging Nichole back then, Ojs wife at the time. So yeah Marcus was a wife banger.

All Davis thought Marcus was done. and he was. Its not like he could've started for another team. When the chiefs picked him up they only used him in short yardage situations. He was old, injury prone and he couldn't handle the work load. The only reason everyone thought that Marcus should have been starting, after the bo Jackson years, is because he, Marcus, told everyone publicly he should and used the media to
    Vilify Al Davis. People jumped on that not really looking at the details
    Wow...you need a cane and a seeing eye dog...tell me, when did OJ play for the Raiders??

xcraider37 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Just watched this, Marcus is by far the best raider skilled position player, yes Bo was great but his body of work is too short.

This is not raider related but one of my favorite non raiders was Earl Campbell, NBC sports is running a life story on him also, check it out if you can.
    foodisgood70 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    As I've read the comments on this thread I recall that Allen was not Al Davis' choice so perhaps that is why there was friction. Davis felt Allen wasn't fast enough and his number inflated because of USC's offensive line. I think Allen proved his detractors wrong and just maybe that's why there was a rift. Allen proved Davis wrong about drafting him...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    As I've read the comments on this thread I recall that Allen was not Al Davis' choice so perhaps that is why there was friction. Davis felt Allen wasn't fast enough and his number inflated because of USC's offensive line. I think Allen proved his detractors wrong and just maybe that's why there was a rift. Allen proved Davis wrong about drafting him...
    I've heard that theory before too HIT. But it seems to run counter to all that we know about Al Davis. In other words, if Davis didn't want to draft Allen he sure as hell wasn't going to do so. Course I guess Davis could have been talked into it by one of his scouts (or many of them). But I seem to recall coach Flores saying this story line was not true. Davis drafted Allen because Davis wanted him. We'll never know the whole saga LOL but, like you said before, its fun to speculate.

And just curious, if Allen wasn't the choice I wonder who Al had targeted?

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ds20902 View Post
    I've heard that theory before too HIT. But it seems to run counter to all that we know about Al Davis. In other words, if Davis didn't want to draft Allen he sure as hell wasn't going to do so. Course I guess Davis could have been talked into it by one of his scouts (or many of them). But I seem to recall coach Flores saying this story line was not true. Davis drafted Allen because Davis wanted him. We'll never know the whole saga LOL but, like you said before, its fun to speculate.

And just curious, if Allen wasn't the choice I wonder who Al had targeted?
    I remember reading (unfortunately I forget where I read it) that Al really wanted Walter Abercrombie, who went on to an unexceptional career with the Steelers.
    "He's relentless, shoot him in the head is the only way to stop him. If Howie's alive and still kicking he's coming."

-HOF guard John Hannah

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by stork44 View Post
    Wow...you need a cane and a seeing eye dog...tell me, when did OJ play for the Raiders??
    never said OJ played for the Raiders. You might need to bring in that seeing eye dog to read my posts.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

SoBruTal_ is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran

Great show added to the list

Hey were getting some love on both of these BS networks lol
    but next we got the immaculate catch ... no love

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon View Post
    The only way it would work both ways is if Marcus Allen had a reputation for having narcissistic personality disorder and ran the Raiders into the ground during his last ten years on earth.
    he-he.

I hear ya brother. Sorry, whats good for the goose is good for the gander? Canít have it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaguy831 View Post
    Every one can dog on him all they want but if it was not for him we would not of had that super bowl victorie period.
    Yes and NO.

If it werenít for Jim Plunkett, AND all the OTHER Raider players, Marcus very likely would not even have had a career much less a SB.

AGAIN, he could have been drafted by the Lions or Cardinals or Saints or any other team at that time who was not all together. Where would his career/Superbowl been then?

For the love of pete. He didnít even have to pack up and move from L.A. to Oakland! The Raiders came to him with there move to L.A. In my eyes, the guys a whinny little kid. Is he the only one on the face of the planet that has run into an issue with an employer?

At the time he made incredible money, he had fame, girls, status and a SB ring early in his career. How many players in the National Football League never come close to what he had?

For him to go on that Monday Night broadcast and denounce the very owner that gave him the opportunity (and a LOT of other things) in the first place is in a word... contemptible.

And for the network and the Raider hating Al Micheals to cast a stone in such a manner is about as disgraceful as ďhuman beingsĒ can get.

NOTE: Although Marcus was allowed plenty of airtime to in front of millions of viewers to sabotage the very organization that HELPED give him his fame, it was Al Davis who took the high road.

Regarding the Superbowl. As I recall, we where within about 6Ē or so from going down possibly 7 to nothing. It was Ray Guy who barely managed to corral an errant long snap that could have easily lead to a Washington recovery and a score.

Also, lest we forget it was Jim Plunkett who quarterbacked the team and had ALREADY had one SB ring on his finger WITHOUT the services of Marcus Allen. Call me crazy, but iím kinda under the impression even with Marcus we weren't going to the playoffs much less the SB with Marc Wilson.

One could even speculate that Marcus was very lucky to end up on TWO teams with fantastic QBís that helped his career tremendously. If you canít throw the ball or have a QB that isnít a threat in the game it can be damn tough to get the running game going as defenses will just key on it. Not to mention, both quarterbacks where able to throw the ball to him. Try being on the receiving end of a QB that can't find you and/or get the ball to you. That in itself helped his career a lot.

Not to mention we had a really good defense which afforded Allen extra attempts on the offensive side of the ball...
    DarkSide and diggler08 like this.

Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by foodisgood70 View Post
    I just wanted to say man. We differ on our opinion of Al, but I completely respect your opinion. You always have sound backing for your posts. I enjoy discussing things with you.
    Always a pleasure friend.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor
    Veteran
    Ron Wolf in regards to Allen being the best all time (Raider) in his eyes.

So many great players it's hard to say which one is the best. But that is Ron Wolf's opinion and that is saying a lot.

Some other points that stick out are. How he intentionally fumbled 8 times in a H.S. game because he didn't want to play QB. I know he's young but c'mon man! I played in H.S. and that's a chump move, period.

How Marcus wouldn't extend his hand to Davis at his Hall of Fame induction, Yet Allen's father would shake Davis' hand.

How in my early 20's I felt when I watched that Monday night halftime interview. Didn't like it and still don't.

I liked Marcus, as a Raider. However, I don't believe for a second that he didn't choose K.C. for any other reason then to get back at Davis.

Yet he is going to sit there straight faced and say otherwise. Like his buddy O.J. very questionable character IMO.

Winter is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Just think if he chose Denver. He could have possibly won two more rings.

MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiduhSmith View Post
    Growing up I loved Marcus but as many others have stated there was a reason for AL to do what he did. Over the years the rumors of Allen and OJ's wife, bad coke habit , Raiders players wifes ,have all surfaced but never expanded on. I dotn think we will ever see the truth to what really happened. Just happy now Mark Davis has welcomed him back
    I was reading a book or article a few years ago about Al and Marcus. One of the big things was how much Al hated Marcus hanging around OJ so often. It never specifically states that was the cause of the rift but the rumors of Marcus and OJ doing blow made some suspect that was the problem. I was a fan of Marcus but Bo was just electric although I'm not sure I can say who was better. I will say if Bo would have been totally committed to football and not had his injury he might have gone down as one of the best RBs ever. That's not to say Marcus didn't go down as a great... So it's a draw in my eyes.

Hall of Famer
    Didn't watch it...didn't read the thread my thoughts. Bo Jackson was set up to be the best RB ever PERIOD (if not athlete) if he didn't get hurt.

An analogy...I don't care if you have Arian Foster, you play Barry Saunders! There would never have been a discussion if Bo played 10 years.

Plus with Al if you bad mouthed the Raiders organization in anyway you were dead to him (Rolando.) To him the organization was the most important thing in life. If you didn't feel the same you were a traitor. That's why all of our heros (from plunkett to madden to howie) still openly talk about the raiders with love in their hearts. They bought in to what Al was selling. More of a classic crime family than just a football team. That is also why guys like Allen and Gannon would never have been allowed to wear S&B again and agree with it or not thats why Al didn't attend Tim Brown's retirement. You were either all Raider or you were nothing!

Agree with it or not it was THAT passion...that love of something greater than himself...that brought us all to the raider nation. The game past him by at the dawn of free agency when his ideals didn't matter as much.

I didn't read the thread because I know there would be a lot of Al hatred because he wasn't a like able guy (especially at the end) and Marcus comes across as a great person. He is not a raider and though I don't hate him I will never consider him one of OUR all time greats!
    Skvllz likes this.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information