Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 136
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: A Football Life: Marcus Allen

  1. #61
    Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by ismail86 View Post
    I've always found it so amusing that Al Davis had a famous slogan "just win baby". When in reality its "just win my way baby". He had proven for over 30 years that he would rather lose his way then win by using someone elses method. Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBD View Post
    I am STILL awed.
    the man was a poet in the backfield.
    .... What got up Als ass to cause him to regulate him into a FB for 4 years then to bench him for 2 more still bothers me.
    Magic.

    See guys.. it's funny you guys (and others like you) can speak with such great audacity without knowing all the facts..

    what if i were to tell you that the rift between Marcus and Al was caused by Marcus SLEEPING with one of his teammates WIVES. what would you say then?

    What would you if that exposition meant leading to more QUESTIONS than ANSWERS? such as who the player was? when? why? etc.. etc.. hurting the pride of players who Al was extremely loyal to and had reason to be loyal to? Don't you think there's a reason Al never mentioned it? A good one?

    What would you say then? Al was one of the most loyal people ever.. but he was vindictive as hell if he felt like you didn't share that same sense of loyalty that he did.

    F*CK MARCUS ALLEN.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ro_34 View Post
    As would I, Bo was one of the greatest athletes ever. From 87-90, Bo was miles head of Marcus period.
    Agreed. Bo Jackson was the initial reason I became a Raiders fan. Personal bias aside there was no other running back that could hold a candle to Bo, besides Barry Sanders... but he also was a physical freak with the disjointed ankles and all.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWestGrand View Post
    Marcus was injured in 86, 89' and 91 but everybody buys his bull**** story about Al having some unknown grudge. Allen, although a great player is distorting the truth about a lot of things and tonight was just a reinforcement of why I'm glad Al let the guy walk. His stats over his 11 year tenure don't suggest any thing other than Al had to acquire backs to compensate for his injuries, and preserve his legs for as long as he could.
    Although I somewhat agree.. the problem was personal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ro_34 View Post
    If you think Al Davis fuking people over is "typical" you may want to read up on him. Not to mention think about why he's inducted more people into the HOF than anyone in history...Also, the Chiefs were beating us before & after Marcus got there. Chucky beat us the same way the Chiefs beat us during the Marcus years, with a dominant defense. BTW, Chucky has never said ONE negative word about Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro_34 View Post
    No but trashing Al Davis earns you bonus points with morons in the media. But hey Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Bob Griese, Len Dawson, Hank Stram, Don Coryell are in over Cliff Branch, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett & Tom Flores. No bias there.
    Good points. Again there's a lot of personal agendas at play with Al and NFL brass.. it had nothing to do with who had the better team, players, or coaches a lot of the time.. when we won we HAD to dominate. If it was up to Al Davis there would of never been a merger to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM View Post
    Stroke your ego some more Marcus. Most players thank those around them, not Marcus though
    Isn't that telling?

  2. #62
    Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro_34 View Post
    No but trashing Al Davis earns you bonus points with morons in the media. But hey Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Bob Griese, Len Dawson, Hank Stram, Don Coryell are in over Cliff Branch, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett & Tom Flores. No bias there.
    I thought Coryell was still being held out by the voters, and Fouts and others were still pushing for him to get in

  3. #63
    cheapshotartist's Avatar
    cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oaktown
    Posts
    28,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro_34 View Post
    No but trashing Al Davis earns you bonus points with morons in the media.
    Do you know how to read? Where the *uck did I trash Al (RIP)? If you want to lick his nuts that's your business but don't just make sh!t up to try to prove your point.
    stork44 likes this.

  4. #64
    cheapshotartist's Avatar
    cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oaktown
    Posts
    28,658
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 9000 View Post
    I was being sarcastic. What does Knapp have to do with Marcus Allen?!
    So was I.

  5. #65
    madstork's Avatar
    madstork is offline

    2009
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Skvllz View Post
    See guys.. it's funny you guys (and others like you) can speak with such great audacity without knowing all the facts..

    what if i were to tell you that the rift between Marcus and Al was caused by Marcus SLEEPING with one of his teammates WIVES. what would you say then?

    What would you if that exposition meant leading to more QUESTIONS than ANSWERS? such as who the player was? when? why? etc.. etc.. hurting the pride of players who Al was extremely loyal to and had reason to be loyal to? Don't you think there's a reason Al never mentioned it? A good one?

    What would you say then? Al was one of the most loyal people ever.. but he was vindictive as hell if he felt like you didn't share that same sense of loyalty that he did.
    Does anybody know the facts? Watching last night it seems Howie Long doesn't, Ron Wolf doesn't, Terry Robiskie doesn't, etc. Those guys were there. I've only ever read about Marcus supposedly sleeping with someone's wife in vague posts on this site. Hell, one guy posted confidently that Marcus was banging Al's daughter, only problem is Al never had a daughter!

    On a football level, he is a no doubt Hall of Famer. As for him losing playing time, I do acknowledge that he got a little banged up in the late 80's, and Bo definitely deserved to play when he played. After Bo left and Al kept signing washed-up big name guys, that definitely seemed personal to me. And how could anyone argue that having Allen fourth on the depth chart behind the likes of Vance Mueller was a "football decision"? Al was trying to destroy him and break his will, it's to Marcus's credit that he didn't fold. As Howie said last night, "if you're going to compete with Marcus, kill him. Because he will keep coming back at you." (Paraphrased)

    I don't know why Al wanted to destroy the guy, but he clearly DID want to destroy the guy for some reason.
    stork44 and cheapshotartist like this.
    "He's relentless, shoot him in the head is the only way to stop him. If Howie's alive and still kicking he's coming."

    -HOF guard John Hannah

  6. #66
    Hungary87's Avatar
    Hungary87 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,166
    In this video RON WOLF says that Marcus began to get bigger than the Raiders (my impression was he did NOT mean this as a criticism of Marcus, but an observation RE media attention), and that was what started the rift with Al.

    Does anyone think Wolf would make this up?

    Of all the ex-teammates and coaches, no one has anything negative to say about Marcus.

    So how do some of us fans make Marcus the villain?

  7. #67
    HITMAN's Avatar
    HITMAN is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mount Sinai
    Posts
    36,055
    Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the rift between Allen and Davis, no one can argue that Allen wasn't a gamer. You can argue the comparisson to Bo, but even Bo had a great deal of respect for Allen and his value to the team... Allen may not have had the incredible numbers as some other backs but other backs weren't as versatile as Allen was, and he was consistent throughout his career. He could run, catch, throw and block... not many backs in the NFL can do all of them well. He's in the HOF for a reason like him or loathe him he was a special player.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

    "Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

  8. #68
    Hoss's Avatar
    Hoss is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    737
    I agree with you HITMAN. Loved watching him play and it was truly sad to see him leave the Raiders. The only thing that I didn't like him was his relationship with OJ Simpson (always rubbed me the wrong way).

  9. #69
    HITMAN's Avatar
    HITMAN is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mount Sinai
    Posts
    36,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I agree with you HITMAN. Loved watching him play and it was truly sad to see him leave the Raiders. The only thing that I didn't like him was his relationship with OJ Simpson (always rubbed me the wrong way).
    We all have questionable characters in our lives! LOL
    Hoss likes this.
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

    "Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

  10. #70
    cheapshotartist's Avatar
    cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oaktown
    Posts
    28,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungary87 View Post
    In this video RON WOLF says that Marcus began to get bigger than the Raiders (my impression was he did NOT mean this as a criticism of Marcus, but an observation RE media attention), and that was what started the rift with Al.

    Does anyone think Wolf would make this up?

    Of all the ex-teammates and coaches, no one has anything negative to say about Marcus.

    So how do some of us fans make Marcus the villain?
    Because you have Oakland Raider fans and Al (RIP) Davis fans.

  11. #71
    Raidersman321's Avatar
    Raidersman321 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,761

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Metallica0688 View Post
    Immaculate Reception next week
    the Tuck Game will be the week
    Super Bowl loss to Tampa the week after that

    Should then have maybe Goodel get his jabs into us for this year on us .
    Followed by the 2007 draft
    crizpynutz likes this.

  12. #72
    Carboran is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by Skvllz View Post
    See guys.. it's funny you guys (and others like you) can speak with such great audacity without knowing all the facts..

    what if i were to tell you that the rift between Marcus and Al was caused by Marcus SLEEPING with one of his teammates WIVES. what would you say then?

    What would you if that exposition meant leading to more QUESTIONS than ANSWERS? such as who the player was? when? why? etc.. etc.. hurting the pride of players who Al was extremely loyal to and had reason to be loyal to? Don't you think there's a reason Al never mentioned it? A good one?

    What would you say then? Al was one of the most loyal people ever.. but he was vindictive as hell if he felt like you didn't share that same sense of loyalty that he did.

    F*CK MARCUS ALLEN.




    Agreed. Bo Jackson was the initial reason I became a Raiders fan. Personal bias aside there was no other running back that could hold a candle to Bo, besides Barry Sanders... but he also was a physical freak with the disjointed ankles and all.



    Although I somewhat agree.. the problem was personal.





    Good points. Again there's a lot of personal agendas at play with Al and NFL brass.. it had nothing to do with who had the better team, players, or coaches a lot of the time.. when we won we HAD to dominate. If it was up to Al Davis there would of never been a merger to begin with.



    Isn't that telling?

    I would say you are full of it, because his teammates selected for the most committed team player on the squad 6 consecutive times and it seems the only person who hated him was Davis.
    stork44 likes this.

  13. #73
    LINQ's Avatar
    LINQ is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Bay
    Posts
    18,576
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordAlDavis View Post
    Using a baseball term he was a compiler....
    Oh boy I'm not even going to touch this one.

  14. #74
    kinz is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,353
    I think the Marcus situation was when we went from being fvcked up in a good way to fvcked up in a bad way. In hindsight, it ruined a large part of the rest of Al's life, not Marcus'. Hatred will do that.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

  15. #75
    HBD's Avatar
    HBD
    HBD is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Skvllz View Post
    See guys.. it's funny you guys (and others like you) can speak with such great audacity without knowing all the facts..

    what if i were to tell you that the rift between Marcus and Al was caused by Marcus SLEEPING with one of his teammates WIVES. what would you say then?
    ....
    What would you say then? Al was one of the most loyal people ever.. but he was vindictive as hell if he felt like you didn't share that same sense of loyalty that he did.

    F*CK MARCUS ALLEN.
    Isn't that telling?
    If banging a team mates wife was SOOO detrimental ... WHY was he voted by the team to the Commitment To Excellence award 4 times (even AFTER his benching) ??
    Your arguement doesn't add up ON the field. Benching the BEST RB in the game for an off field indiscretion ??
    Unless it was Mrs Davis, i say "Get over it".
    cheapshotartist likes this.
    ################################################## ####################################

    • Get yer bets in Early boys ... the Odds will never again, be this high.


Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •