Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Is this the bottom of the barrel?

Hall of Famer

Is this the bottom of the barrel?

I think the Art Shell redux season felt worse. That might have been the worst offense I've ever seen in a Raiders team.
    Chewy316 and Rainman56 like this.

UptownXguy3 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTWINBABY9111 View Post
    Knapp has definitely not helped the offense but it is much harder on the offense when the defense can not any stops. This defense is one of the worst ever fielded by the Raiders.
    I agree with your post but it goes both ways...I seen plenty of times where the defense did make stops in the first half to have the no good offense come on the field and fail over and over again....Games where the defense gave the offense an opportunity to come back and tie the game but never materialized... Where the offense would take the field in the first half 4 - 6 times and only get one FG...

This Offense and Defense is equally terrible.

This team is the worst I have seen.
    JUSTWINBABY9111 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    To be honest for me, it is the years the team quit on the HC:
    1997 - Joe Bugel
    2003 - Bill Callahan
    2011 - Hue Jackson

You really could tell when the team quit on the HC. It has not happened this year with DA, and that gives me reason to hope that he doing a lot of things right.

As for this being the bottom of the barrel, it was inevitable that this would happen once Al Davis was not around. Davis had his way of doing things. A new GM would, of course, would have to implement his own way. This was always going to take time no matter who came in.
    Lakim and foodisgood70 like this.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    1997 - Joe Bugel
    2003 - Bill Callahan
    2011 - Hue Jackson

You really could tell when the team quit on the HC. It has not happened this year with DA, and that gives me reason to hope that he doing a lot of things right.

It really looks like it though. We're not even competitive in our games anymore.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderInSD21 View Post
    It really looks like it though. We're not even competitive in our games anymore.
    Well, I take the word of the likes of Corkran and MacDonald who are both saying this team has not quit. Cork is on record saying he could visibly see that the team had quit on Bugel, Callahan, and Hue. He is on record as saying that there has been nothing to suggest this team has quit on DA.

a point that will also upset a few on here, this defense has regressed since Richard Seymour got injured. Maybe, just maybe, his on-field presence is worth more than many on here give him credit for.

Just saying....
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

ApOcAlYpSe is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    1997 - Joe Bugel
    2003 - Bill Callahan
    2011 - Hue Jackson

As for this being the bottom of the barrel, it was inevitable that this would happen once Al Davis was not around. Davis had his way of doing things. A new GM would, of course, would have to implement his own way. This was always going to take time no matter who came in.
    What makes you think last year's team quit on Hue? Not trying to pick a fight, legitimately curious.

JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by xcraider37 View Post
    What are you going to say to the 7 or 8 posters that want DA out and think that the talent level is the same as the almost 8-8 SB champions of last year? Because they will be coming at you soon as demented as they are.
    Well the questions is "Is it bottom of the barrel?" I think this time around there is a sense that it can get better. In the past I personally had no hope for a Super Bowl. I stopped enjoying Raider football. Now I can at least follow and actually want to see how it turns out. If it doesn't, then on to the next GM. Before it was zero hope. We were an overachieving soft schedule 8-8, not an under achieving, 9-7 NY Giants. A team like that gets in they have the ability to beat any team in the NFL any given week. Strong front 7 and a O that can score is all you need. We had the O that can score against mediocre teams and get bent over by the like of GB, Patriots, Miami, or any team with a good QB/ offense. A good pass rushing team may not neutralize a good QB but they have the chance to any given week with a good game. Well I been waiting years for that good front 7.
    foodisgood70 and xcraider37 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbulous View Post
    Technically the Jaguars are at the bottom of the barrell this season. But that doesn't mean much...
    Jags went 5-11 last season so it was much expected, up until the Hue firing I think we all thought pretty positive about the future of the team.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ApOcAlYpSe View Post
    What makes you think last year's team quit on Hue? Not trying to pick a fight, legitimately curious.
    1-4 over the final 5 games. In those 5 games, the offense regressed averaging 18.4 points per game (excluding Curry's defensive TD). We were blown out in 2 of those games, 3 if you count the San Diego game (which was an embarrassment considering they had absolutely nothing to play for and it was in our house). At the end of the season Hue threw everyone under the bus, both in media conferences and behind the scenes. He had become a power freak who had no control over the locker room and ultimately had lost the respect of the team.

People can look at the defense of 2011 and blame that for our demise. Bottom line was that Hue was the 2011 head coach. Once Mr. Davis passed away, Hue had full power over the team. Hue had 11 games to adjust the defensive systems. He could've moved Bresnahan away from DC etc. But he chose to keep everything as per usual, believing his offense would be able to overcome it. The 2011 defense was good until Mr. Davis passed away, which was the time they went away from the man free scheme.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

dry23 is offline Banned
    Veteran
    I really don't think this team could be competitive, even if they "didn't quit."

I guess I'm an optimist, I refuse to believe that a group of men will throw their shame out the window and embarrass themselves every week.

I wouldn't even be mad at DA if the team quit on him, what kind of grown man lets another grown man come into his house and bend him over? I'll question our players' manhood before I question DA

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by xcraider37 View Post
    What are you going to say to the 7 or 8 posters that want DA out and think that the talent level is the same as the almost 8-8 SB champions of last year? Because they will be coming at you soon as demented as they are.
    Hey genius DA hired Knapp! that's enough head scratching in it's own right to be questioning the competency of him! and FYI the way we're playing you'd think we've got Quinn at QB with a bunch of highschool freshman running around, WE DON'T. there's talent enough on this team NOT warranted of a 3-13 season! The coaches are just as responsible for this mess as the players are! end of story!
    jrhone likes this.

paul0660 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I guess I'm an optimist, I refuse to believe that a group of men will throw their shame out the window and embarrass themselves every week.
    I think you mean throw their manhood out the window.

This, quite literally, was the way Al looked at this. He also thought that being part of the team would get the most out any player who appreciated the history of the Raiders.

To most professional players, glory is secondary to making more money than God, buying momma that house, and being able to pahtay like it is 1999.

Plus, if you play hard, you can get hurt.......and the way it is now...........fined.
    JUSTWINBABY9111 likes this.

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    1997 - Joe Bugel
    2003 - Bill Callahan
    2011 - Hue Jackson

The team didn't quit on Hue Jackson. You're on acid. The defense gave that season away. It was a defense that Hue had nothing to do with. None of his coaches and he picked none of the players. The last three weeks of the season here's what happened: Pay attention.

Week 15: We're up on the Lions 27-13 with under 5 minutes. We lose 28-27 as the defense gives up a 96 yard TD drive with 2 minutes left in the game

Week 16: We're up on the Chiefs 13-6 with five minutes left in the game. The Chiefs then drive 90+ yard for the tying score. Thankfully we got the ball first in OT and scored right away, so we won.

Week 17: We score a TD to pull to within 5 points of the Chargers. On the ensuing kickoff we pin them inside their own ten yard line. The Chargers then drive 95 yards for the TD to seal the win.

Did you notice any pattern in those three games? Any at all?

Do you remember the D giving up 35 second half points to Buffalo? Or 24 second half points to Tim Tebow and the Donks? Does that ring a bell? But even after all that sh!t we were in it until the final quarter of the final game of the season. That's a fact. You can't argue it. You also can't argue that Hue was a rookie HC. Why he didn't get cut the slack this current stiff does is beyond me. Oh, he called out the players. I guess their pussies were hurting that day.

We also lost our starting RB, QB, and 2/3 of our WRs but we were still in it until the end.

This team gave up on your boy Dennis Allen over a month ago. This is a team that's playing out the string. The worst since Art Shell---hell, even worse. Look at what Al9000 posted on the previous page. Shell's team was more competitive than this one!

"Give it 29 years and DA will prove all you haters wrong!" What a load. Anyone who thinks Dennis Allen will be a successful head coach with the Oakland Raiders is wrong.
    jrhone, biglizardone and IRO1977 like this.

Skvllz is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    LoL.. God how i wished the team stayed in LA. So much hatred for a man that gave so much.. and so much hatred towards players who don't deserve it.. mostly by people who can't get over their own bitterness enough to see the facts as they lie.

This team is not going to win anytime soon. But many of you will afford excuses to RM that you never afforded Al.. even though this team was good enough to beat anyone at its high point last year.

We had cap problems each of the two offseasons prior and still managed to field a competitive team. Carson Palmer was a horrible move that lost us draft picks and Cap room.. and Al had nothing to do with that.

The sad reality is, this team is worse off right NOW that Al is no longer running things.. I'm sure some of you will continue to blame Al for how horrible this team plays and PREPARES for the next 20 years though.

"Al should of never drafted Reggie Mckenzie, then he wouldn't be our GM in the first place!" That will be some of your logic eventually. I actually pray for the day that some of you learn about this game and the concept of a team.

This team hasn't only quit on the staff, they've quit on the fans as well.. and I don't blame them. You think bringing in new players is going to change this culture many of you are in for a rude awakening.

I'll put it like this.. this team is not inspired to play for this staff or this TEAM, if i was a player, I'd want the first ship out...Suh instead of Seymour would not help our record in the slightest right now. Neither would AP instead of Mcfadden.

so there's two options.. either get players that will be motivated to play for them (fat chance) or get coaches that can motivate and inspire their players (slightly better chance).

I'll sit here on pins and needles as i'm proven right about the course of this team once again..
    biglizardone likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ApOcAlYpSe View Post
    1-4 down the stretch for starters. Everyone I have contacted around the Raiders including those in the organisation and the beat writers all say the same thing.

If you do not believe me, watch Corkran's live chats. He has said the same thing week after week this season.
    Chewy316 likes this.
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information