Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: My thoughts on our roster

Pro Bowler

My thoughts on our roster

This is a breakdown of our roster and who I think needs to go and why. There are 6 cuts or do not resign and 8 question marks due to salary cap hits. Several of the others made it through to at least camp for next year. Let me know your thoughts.

Adams, Philip RFA Resign Needs more opportunity to develop. CB is a major need for Oakland
    Ausberry, David Signed Keep Little is gained by cutting him. He goes into training camp and see if he makes it out
    Barnes, Khalif UFA ?? Been a disappointment for a long time but not sure who we have or can get who is better.
    Bartell, Ron UFA Let go He hasn't proven anything this year other than he is not a very good corner
    Bergstrom, Tony Signed Keep Little playing time but he needs time
    Bilukidi, Christo Signed Keep Needs time to develop. We are going to be light at DL also
    Branch, Tyvon Signed Keep One of our better players. Need to better use him and have better CB's to help him.
    Brisel, Mike Signed Keep Honestly, I am disappointed with him so far. If we change schemes again maybe we cut him.
    Bryant, Desmond UFA Keep Has done enough to warrant a chance to start.
    Burnett, Kaelin UFA ?? Was just signed. No opinion.
    Burris, Miles Signed Keep Plays hard and has a lot of heart. Let him develop more
    Carlisle, Cooper UFA Let go Just time to move on and get playing time for others.
    Carter, Andre UFA Resign Bring him to camp and let him fight for a job.
    Condo, Jon Signed Keep We all saw how important he was when he was hurt.
    Crawford, Jack Signed Keep Need time to develop.
    Criner, Juron Signed Keep Just needs to keep developing.
    Francis, Coye Signed Keep Young and we need corners and KR
    Gaither, Omar UFA Let go We can find someone as good as him in draft or on the cheap in FA
    Giordano, Matt UFA Resign Why? Because he tries hard. Lacks ability but has heart.
    Goodson, Mike UFA Resign Has shown enough to get another shot.
    Gordon, Richard Signed Keep Give him time to develop
    Hagan, Derek UFA Resign Is a solid contributer when asked
    Hanson, Joselio UFA Resign Not great but has played decent for us
    Heyward-Bey, Darrius Signed ?? Cut him depending on cap hit. We have several other WR's who are a lot cheaper and are producing.
    Houston, Lamar Signed Keep He is our best DL and we probably need to look at an extension.
    Huff, Michael Signed ?? Cap hit is the question here. He plays out of position but isn't very good.
    Janikowski, Sebastian Signed Keep One of the best K in the league
    Jones, Taiwan Signed Keep Hasn't done much but I think he gets another year.
    Kelly, Tommy Signed ?? Cut him if you can. He has not lived up to contract. May have to keep him due to cap hit.
    Lechler, Shane UFA Let go Best punter of all time but his salary is too high and can go to more prominent positions.
    Leinart, Matt UFA ?? Depends on how we want to move forward. He is cheap but not our future.
    McFadden, Darren Signed ?? I would try to trade him and then cut him pending on cap hit. Too much time invested in injury prone player.
    Mitchell, Mike UFA Resign Not the best player but I think you can resign him inexpensively.
    Moore, Denarious Signed Keep One of our better young players. Need to keep him involved in the schemes.
    Myers, Brandon UFA Resign It is going to be more expensive to resign him but he has played very well for us
    Nix, Lucas Signed Keep Cheap and young…goes to training camp
    Olawale, Jamize Signed Keep Don't know what we have in him but he goes to camp
    Palmer, Carson Signed ?? Huge salary next year have to do something with him. Renegotiate contract. Depends on how team wants to move forward
    Parson, Alex RFA Sign Gotta have depth and he is cheap. Bring him to camp
    Pryor, Terrelle Signed Keep Would love to see what he can do. He goes into camp with an opportunity to win job. If not trade him.
    Reece, Marcel Signed Keep One of the most versatile players we have
    Ross, Brandian RFA Sign Bring him to camp and let him fight for a job.
    Schmitt, Owen UFA Let go Has not been impressive and can find equal or better player in draft or FA
    Seymour, Richard Signed Cut Has not played much for team and has lost a step. We will take cap hit but no need to pay salary
    Shaughnessy, Matt UFA Resign One of the better players 2 years ago. Give him another opportunity to keep getting better.
    Smith, Willie Signed Keep Young player needs more time. He goes to camp.
    Stewart, Jeremy UFA Sign Played well enough to deserve another shot.
    Steater, Rod Signed Keep Good younger player.
    Tollefson, Dave Signed Keep Gets to go to camp because he is cheap at a position of need.
    Veldheer, Jared Signed Keep One of our better lineman which isn't saying much but have to look at an extension.
    Wheeler, Phillip UFA Resign One of the few bright spots of the year. Sign him to a couple year deal.
    Wisnewski, Stefen Signed Keep Maybe our best Olineman
    kinz likes this.
    “We had a three-time All-MAC wideout, 6-foot-5, 210 pounds,” Azzanni said. “Mitchell just knocked the absolute piss out of him. I thought he killed him on the sideline. That’s how hard he hit.”

Pro Bowler
    bump
    “We had a three-time All-MAC wideout, 6-foot-5, 210 pounds,” Azzanni said. “Mitchell just knocked the absolute piss out of him. I thought he killed him on the sideline. That’s how hard he hit.”

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Bartell already cut so your making progress
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    We are a 3-10 football team and you only have 6 guys as definitely not being here next season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but by that account I'm guessing you believe that we have a decent talented team but the coaches are the problem?

There are around a dozen off the top of my head who I wouldn't hesitate to let go in the off-season. The first two on that list would be Giordano and Mitchell, both guys shouldn't be in the NFL. Would get rid of quite a few others too.

The biggest moves I think will be getting rid of Seymour and McClain. Seymour's contract will be voided (team option) so there won't be a cap hit. This will free up quite a bit of cap space. McClain will likely get cut too. Given that he just got suspended, it won't surprise me either if we don't have to pay him any dead money either. This could free up to around 12-13 million in cap space for next season.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

Hall of Famer

Seymore getting voided is HUGE.
    Gio needs to go...I'm getting sick of cutting CBs when we have a decent FS converting to CB playing mediocre football.
    Houston is the only Dlineman I want back.
    Lbs may be our best defensive position, but I wouldn't be mad if we cut all of them. Wheeler is over-rated, and Burris...I guess keep Burris.

Offense we get rid of Knapp and we could improve with just that.

Bottom line we need a to sure up the D this year, we could have the Patriots offense and would still be 3-10

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayderfan77 View Post
    This is a breakdown of our roster and who I think needs to go and why. There are 6 cuts or do not resign and 8 question marks due to salary cap hits. Several of the others made it through to at least camp for next year. Let me know your thoughts.

Adams, Philip RFA Resign Needs more opportunity to develop. CB is a major need for Oakland
    Ausberry, David Signed Keep Little is gained by cutting him. He goes into training camp and see if he makes it out
    Barnes, Khalif UFA ?? Been a disappointment for a long time but not sure who we have or can get who is better.
    Bartell, Ron UFA Let go He hasn't proven anything this year other than he is not a very good corner
    Bergstrom, Tony Signed Keep Little playing time but he needs time
    Bilukidi, Christo Signed Keep Needs time to develop. We are going to be light at DL also
    Branch, Tyvon Signed Keep One of our better players. Need to better use him and have better CB's to help him.
    Brisel, Mike Signed Keep Honestly, I am disappointed with him so far. If we change schemes again maybe we cut him.
    Bryant, Desmond UFA Keep Has done enough to warrant a chance to start.
    Burnett, Kaelin UFA ?? Was just signed. No opinion.
    Burris, Miles Signed Keep Plays hard and has a lot of heart. Let him develop more
    Carlisle, Cooper UFA Let go Just time to move on and get playing time for others.
    Carter, Andre UFA Resign Bring him to camp and let him fight for a job.
    Condo, Jon Signed Keep We all saw how important he was when he was hurt.
    Crawford, Jack Signed Keep Need time to develop.
    Criner, Juron Signed Keep Just needs to keep developing.
    Francis, Coye Signed Keep Young and we need corners and KR
    Gaither, Omar UFA Let go We can find someone as good as him in draft or on the cheap in FA
    Giordano, Matt UFA Resign Why? Because he tries hard. Lacks ability but has heart.
    Goodson, Mike UFA Resign Has shown enough to get another shot.
    Gordon, Richard Signed Keep Give him time to develop
    Hagan, Derek UFA Resign Is a solid contributer when asked
    Hanson, Joselio UFA Resign Not great but has played decent for us
    Heyward-Bey, Darrius Signed ?? Cut him depending on cap hit. We have several other WR's who are a lot cheaper and are producing.
    Houston, Lamar Signed Keep He is our best DL and we probably need to look at an extension.
    Huff, Michael Signed ?? Cap hit is the question here. He plays out of position but isn't very good.
    Janikowski, Sebastian Signed Keep One of the best K in the league
    Jones, Taiwan Signed Keep Hasn't done much but I think he gets another year.
    Kelly, Tommy Signed ?? Cut him if you can. He has not lived up to contract. May have to keep him due to cap hit.
    Lechler, Shane UFA Let go Best punter of all time but his salary is too high and can go to more prominent positions.
    Leinart, Matt UFA ?? Depends on how we want to move forward. He is cheap but not our future.
    McFadden, Darren Signed ?? I would try to trade him and then cut him pending on cap hit. Too much time invested in injury prone player.
    Mitchell, Mike UFA Resign Not the best player but I think you can resign him inexpensively.
    Moore, Denarious Signed Keep One of our better young players. Need to keep him involved in the schemes.
    Myers, Brandon UFA Resign It is going to be more expensive to resign him but he has played very well for us
    Nix, Lucas Signed Keep Cheap and young…goes to training camp
    Olawale, Jamize Signed Keep Don't know what we have in him but he goes to camp
    Palmer, Carson Signed ?? Huge salary next year have to do something with him. Renegotiate contract. Depends on how team wants to move forward
    Parson, Alex RFA Sign Gotta have depth and he is cheap. Bring him to camp
    Pryor, Terrelle Signed Keep Would love to see what he can do. He goes into camp with an opportunity to win job. If not trade him.
    Reece, Marcel Signed Keep One of the most versatile players we have
    Ross, Brandian RFA Sign Bring him to camp and let him fight for a job.
    Schmitt, Owen UFA Let go Has not been impressive and can find equal or better player in draft or FA
    Seymour, Richard Signed Cut Has not played much for team and has lost a step. We will take cap hit but no need to pay salary
    Shaughnessy, Matt UFA Resign One of the better players 2 years ago. Give him another opportunity to keep getting better.
    Smith, Willie Signed Keep Young player needs more time. He goes to camp.
    Stewart, Jeremy UFA Sign Played well enough to deserve another shot.
    Steater, Rod Signed Keep Good younger player.
    Tollefson, Dave Signed Keep Gets to go to camp because he is cheap at a position of need.
    Veldheer, Jared Signed Keep One of our better lineman which isn't saying much but have to look at an extension.
    Wheeler, Phillip UFA Resign One of the few bright spots of the year. Sign him to a couple year deal.
    Wisnewski, Stefen Signed Keep Maybe our best Olineman
    Pretty much agree with everything you said. Good writeup.
    Jimi18 likes this.

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    What ever we do is not going to happen over night period. If you just look at our defense we are talking at least three years If not more because we need to replace all eleven of those clowns. Move to the offense, fire knapp if you want to but we still have DHB and Moore at WR and neither one can be counted on to the catch a football on a regular basis. We still have Barnes at RT and the rest of the OL is nothing to write home about. DMC is hurt again and the ST's suck. By the time we fix the defense CP will be over the hill and we will need a QB and DMC will be gone or hurt.

RM needs to blow everything up and start from ground zero, we have nothing to build on. We all know how this team got to this point and it has nothing to do with RM, DA and Knapp.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    What ever we do is not going to happen over night period. If you just look at our defense we are talking at least three years If not more because we need to replace all eleven of those clowns. Move to the offense, fire knapp if you want to but we still have DHB and Moore at WR and neither one can be counted on to the catch a football on a regular basis. We still have Barnes at RT and the rest of the OL is nothing to write home about. DMC is hurt again and the ST's suck. By the time we fix the defense CP will be over the hill and we will need a QB and DMC will be gone or hurt.

RM needs to blow everything up and start from ground zero, we have nothing to build on. We all know how this team got to this point and it has nothing to do with RM, DA and Knapp.
    Rich Gannon was exiled for saying this
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer

It really is a sad state of affairs but I think I've finally come to terms with the huge task ahead. It took a handful of friends and a long conversation to get me to back away from the cliff. I really don't want to see this team continue to struggle in such a tremendous fashion but this is my team and it's going to take time. As you mentioned, the ENTIRE defense needs to be replaced. You could literally start 11 new guys next season and not see a drop off but you may see some improvement. The Raiders will try to retain Wheeler, Burris is still an experiment and Adams has added his name to the list of "potential" keepers. Not starter but keeper because we definitely need depth behind whoever ends up starting on defense. Whether he eventually becomes a starter won't be decided in the next 3 games. Beyond that, I don't believe anyone is a lock to be back next season. So, we could literally put all our efforts into retooling the defense and still be 1-2 years away from fielding a complete unit.

But that's not realistic and I don't expect Reggie to focus on just one area of this team in the offseason.

On the offensive side, Reggie and DA (if he's still around) need to make a decision on what their identity will be going forward. Carson Palmer only has a few years left with this team so he's not worth building the offense around. But we've got a few young offensive linemen that have shown promise. They've struggled mightily in the ZBS but were decent in the power blocking scheme a season ago. Do you stick with the ZBS and, potentially, replace everyone on offense as well? My hope would be that they continue to build to the strengths of some of these young offensive linemen and go from there. Again, you could use the majority of the picks and money available to us and still need a season or two before a solid unit is run out on the field.

I think Reggie will draft heavily for defense early on this year and try to land some late round offensive linemen. I could see a veteran MLB if we don't land one in the draft but it's going to be multiple drafts and many offseasons before the Raiders look like a "football team" again.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    We all know how this team got to this point and it has nothing to do with RM, DA and Knapp.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

"We all" is not blaming what happened last year or the years before that , for what happened this year. You and some other people may want to blame past years management , but not everybody does.
    This team got to be where it is right now , in this current season, from terribly poor coaching by DA and his staff.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Fire Dennis Allen and his assistants.

Kick Rocks:
    Barnes, Khalif
    Brisel, Mike
    Burnett, Kaelin
    Carlisle, Cooper
    Carter, Andre
    Crawford, Jack
    Francis, Coye
    Gaither, Omar
    Giordano, Matt
    Goodson, Mike
    Gordon, Richard
    Hagan, Derek
    Hanson, Joselio
    Nix, Lucas
    Olawale, Jamize
    Parson, Alex
    Ross, Brandian
    Shaughnessy, Matt
    Smith, Willie
    Stewart, Jeremy
    Tollefson, Dave

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I agree CSA but we are in contention for the #1 pick in the draft, that's as low as you can go. I agree talent wise we suck, on all 3 phases of the game. I'm just concerned and disappointed the coaching staff is getting a very big pass this year.

If we keep DA and the rest of the clowns I'm expecting that at least the team competes next year. I understand we can't fire them this year and honestly I would only be happy if he is replaced by a Gruden/Cowher type and that's not gonna happen.

I have an eery feeling that DA is way too relaxed as he was given ample time to fix this mess. I want to see a greater sense of urgency next year, really this season was very hard to watch.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer

I don't think that the argument of "we have nearly the same team as last year and we're worse off" is correct. We cut a lot of players who were starters on this team. They were getting paid mega dollars and weren't living up to their contracts. That's not to say though that by cutting them we were a better team. Better in the short run? Well judging by our record we're not. By getting rid of some bad contracts we still had to find replacements for these guys whilst still paying the guys we cut. Some replacements were nice finds, others weren't. The talent level this year has certainly diminished though. In the long run, I can see the team being better off for what they've done now. They have gotten rid of quite a few bad contracts. Another year of removing the weeds and we should have an easy cap to manage so we can pay players to their appropriate production on the field.

I don't believe that the coaches should be given a pass irrespective of how the season goes either. I see the defense and I see a group that is devoid of talent. Too many guys who wouldn't be in the NFL are getting good game time for us (gio and 34 for example). Not impressed with the d line coach given their obvious regression to sustain pressure on the QB. I'd like us to go in a different direction there but otherwise I'd bank on keeping the guys we have and trying to get more talent in on that side of the ball. As for the offense, the sooner knapp goes the better. I don't think this offense is much worse than hues offense tbh but I see more potential on this side of the ball that is being unused. The passing game has been good this year. The running game has been awful. I would rather have a McFadden dominate in a power scheme for half a season than see him sputter in a zone system. Im also sure that our other backs would be fine in a power scheme. With the exception of brisiel, the other lineman could probably make the switch back to power too. I don't want to see too many changes of coaches, we can't blow the whole thing up again. That's why if knapp was replaced I'd want him to be replaced with someone from within, first choice being Al Saunders. Pollack has to go too, he has no place as a leading line coach in this league Whether this happens or not is tbd, we should know in a month or so time...
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

sa_dick_steele is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanraider View Post
    I agree CSA but we are in contention for the #1 pick in the draft, that's as low as you can go. I agree talent wise we suck, on all 3 phases of the game. I'm just concerned and disappointed the coaching staff is getting a very big pass this year.

If we keep DA and the rest of the clowns I'm expecting that at least the team competes next year. I understand we can't fire them this year and honestly I would only be happy if he is replaced by a Gruden/Cowher type and that's not gonna happen.

I have an eery feeling that DA is way too relaxed as he was given ample time to fix this mess. I want to see a greater sense of urgency next year, really this season was very hard to watch.
    I agree with most of what you are saying. I don't think the coaching staff is getting a free pass as much as most want to give him an actual team to coach. Let's face it, we don't exactly have one right now. I don't think we are too far off from being a dangerous team and very competitive, one thing that will hold the Raiders back in the next few years is depth, we have none right now. Zip, zero, zilch.

If we could get a pass rusher, preferably through the draft, that can help to hide some deficiancies along the line as well as the secondary. It will be crazy what a player like that can do, less time for the QB and blitzes more effective. Branch so far in the secondary is the only one worth keeping, when he was paired up with Huff and a better CB tandem he was much better than he is this season. I like Adams, but is he a starter? Remains to be seen, but he may be very valuable in the nickel. Huff is not worth the money, but I see him coming back because of limited options. As for linebackers, Burris and Wheeler have been pretty nice for the team, still have some work to do, but worth keeping around. I like what Burris brings and I feel he will only get better with more experience, same with Wheeler, but Burris has more upside. I see more signings of guys like Bartell, hopefully turning out a little better, lol! But guys that have something to prove and cost league minimum. That is the state that this team is in, there will be a better signing or two this year, but nothing that will be a patchwork just to get to 8-8.

Offense will be somewhat better next year as well. Forget about coaches and scheme for a minute, I will get there. Another year with these wideouts will only be a good thing, they are getting experience at the position. They will progress. RB has been a crazy position due to the health of McFadden. He has looked upstoppable, but also very ordinary. The dude has no patience though, that has been his second biggest failure, first of course being his health. Runningbacks don't last long in this league anymore, his time has come and gone in Oakland. Maybe he will be fantastic for another team, the Raiders are not in position to spend the money to see. Reece has been quite the suprise, one of my favorites, but he is a gadget player that needs more tricks, not being an every down RB. Myers has been very solid, but my only thing with the guy is that he disappears in the red zone. He is not a red zone threat, but no one on the roster is either. That must be addressed in the off season, look at how many times this team has stalled in the red zone, turn those field goals into TD's. Now Carson, well he is what we know he is, a stop gap. He has been very servicable, but is he going to lead this team to the playoffs? Unfortunately no. (You think Arizona will trade a 2nd for Palmer??? I know, I know, wishful thinking. lol) We will see what Pryor has for us in the next few weeks, I'm not holding my breath though. I want him to suprise us all, I really do. I just honestly haven't seen enough of him to say he is going to be the guy. I know his talent, I always watch the Big 10 (Iowa Fan!) he hasn't shown himself to be anything more than his athletic ability to run, inconsistent as all hell with his passing, sometimes retched. O-line to me is easy, 1 more tackle, RT or LT is needed. Veldeer shouldn't be replaced, don't get me wrong, but if he needs to be moved to the right because the Raiders were able to get a LT so be it. They do need better depth, but like I said earlier, depth will take work and time.

Finally on to coaching and scheme, the ZBS scheme can work. We've all seen it work well for others, but why not for the Raiders? That's why Knapp needs to be replaced. Aside from his terrible playcalling, he has not been able to teach it along with Pollack (also needs replaced too). How else can you explain Brisiel? He played great last year, and with a broken leg! That's not because of contract year or anything else, dude wants to succeed. Wy am I explaining Knapp, Pollack, and Hoffman? We all know those are the changes that need to be made more than anything.

Sorry for the rant, and if you made it this far, I sincerely apologize.
    truepirate1966 likes this.

Palehorse is offline Banned
    Veteran
    So if Seymour's contract doesn't void they will be on the hook for his entire 15ish million contract if he's cut, correct?

It it ends up voiding that is just massive. That is 2-3 very good players (hopefully) right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information