Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Replacing DA's assistant coaches

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR8ERFAN View Post
    The Cleveland game? They had to score twice either way so what is the difference if they try the onsides with 20 seconds left and only have to go 15-20 yards to kick the FG. Basically you are saying he gave up because in your OPINION he did the wrong thing, it made no difference either way they needed 10 points.
    But it really was the wrong thing to do. It was simply unsound strategy. The situation was that we were in field goal range and needed 10 points. But we had less than a minute to go. So what takes longer, one play to kick a field goal or go 40 yards dinking and dunking for the TD? So what you do is kick the FG and hope you recover an onside kick. If you recover you have the ball in their territory with about 40 seconds left. That gives you time for around 5-6 plays to score the TD. And if nothing else, you're close enough in for the Hail Mary shot.

Of course that was a really long shot; highly unlikely. But it was the only way to tie up the game and have an eventual chance to win it. Instead Allen took the route that guaranteed we couldn't win the game. More importantly, it's emblematic of why this team is getting blown out almost weekly. From the time he was hired up until the final whistle against Denver, this team has been poorly coached and games poorly managed--in every phase.
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

Jermeh is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalR8r View Post
    And would that be Flores or Gruden running the show?
    haha, Tom Flores picked up alot of slack for Al with his picks, its too bad hes past his prime now with age im sure. I guess Gruden would be fine though

truepirate1966 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Blog Entries
    Neither, although their both good options, I gotta go with Madden, that way we still have a Defensive minded coach but with some experience and success, to go a long with on his resume.

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by B. anthracis View Post
    From the time he was hired up until the final whistle against Denver, this team has been poorly coached and games poorly managed--in every phase.
    ^^^^^^^^

Sad, but true.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_Raider_Fan View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

Sad, but true.
    But man does he get cut some slack. Thinking back to the very first game of the season (a game that should have been an easy win), how does the HC not know that the backup snapper hasn't snapped a ball since high school? How does the ST coach not know that? How does the HC not know the ST coach doesn't know that?

Training Camp, June 2012: "Hey, how's our longsnapper doing? What happens if he gets hurt? You mean the backup hasn't snapped a ball since high school? Oh, well get him some snaps and get him up to speed. If he can't cut it then grab the normal center and make sure he gets it down."

But sadly, that isn't what happened.

prolific is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi18 View Post
    I would like to see..

Tim Brown as WR/ St assistant.
    Rich Gannon QB conditioning coach
    Jon Ritchie Tailbacks asst coach
    Barry sanders RB asst. coach
    Bill Romo LBs asst coach
    and bring back Rod Woodson for DBs asst coaching

We all know how this movie ends...

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    But it really was the wrong thing to do. It was simply unsound strategy. The situation was that we were in field goal range and needed 10 points. But we had less than a minute to go. So what takes longer, one play to kick a field goal or go 40 yards dinking and dunking for the TD? So what you do is kick the FG and hope you recover an onside kick. If you recover you have the ball in their territory with about 40 seconds left. That gives you time for around 5-6 plays to score the TD. And if nothing else, you're close enough in for the Hail Mary shot.

Of course that was a really long shot; highly unlikely. But it was the only way to tie up the game and have an eventual chance to win it. Instead Allen took the route that guaranteed we couldn't win the game. More importantly, it's emblematic of why this team is getting blown out almost weekly. From the time he was hired up until the final whistle against Denver, this team has been poorly coached and games poorly managed--in every phase.
    You're playing the hindsight game, easy for you to do now. How many yards did they have for the TD? 30? Say they scored the TD right away, wouldn't it be easier to go 20 yards after the onsides instead of the 55 for the TD? Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. The play calling wasn't to dink and dunk at all, but since the money play was covered they hit the TE to continue to get yards.

Face it, this coaching staff is damned if they do, damned if they don't. The backlash on this board would have been ridiculous if they went the route you suggest.

Chairman of the Board

^^^This^^^

I'll also add in the main reason I kick the FG at that point. It's 4th down. It's not like it's 1-2-3rd where you could just throw it long hoping for the score. You need to get the 1st or it's over. Most likely you throw it short for the 1st. Eats up valuable time especially if you don't get out of bounds. So take the gimme 3/kick it there then hope to get the ball back......
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_dick_steele View Post
    You're playing the hindsight game, easy for you to do now. How many yards did they have for the TD? 30? Say they scored the TD right away, wouldn't it be easier to go 20 yards after the onsides instead of the 55 for the TD? Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. The play calling wasn't to dink and dunk at all, but since the money play was covered they hit the TE to continue to get yards.

Face it, this coaching staff is damned if they do, damned if they don't. The backlash on this board would have been ridiculous if they went the route you suggest.
    You think I'm hardassing this coaching staff but I'm not. As DarkLordAlDavis pointed out, we had a 4th down--I'd forgotten about that part. It was utterly brainless to go for it in that situation. Even if Jano misses that kick, it's still the right decision and anyone second guessing it would have been wrong. What if we don't convert that 4th down? Game over, time to go home. Out with a whimper yet again. But we did convert it, thereby guaranteeing the loss. I'd bet that Cleveland's sideline breathed a sigh of relief when they realized we weren't going to kick it because it sealed the game for them.

The thinking and imagination isn't there with this coaching staff. They run a dull, predictable scheme on both sides of the ball and none of the players execute it very well. We're not just 3-10, we're a really bad 3-10. If we didn't have KC and Jacksonville on our schedule our lone win would have been against the Steelers. And the only reason we beat Jacksonville is because their starting qb and rb got injured. Blaine Gabbert was tearing us up. Blaine Gabbert! He needs help tearing up a losing lottery ticket but he was kicking our ass that day.

Chairman of the Board

No really it's not hindsight. It's the right thing to do. I just looked at the drive chart. It's 4th and 1 at the 15. So you kick the 32 yard FG. Instead Palmer throws a 3 yard pass for the 1st on 4th down. That kills it right there really with no time outs left. Eats up to much time. Palmer spiked the ball on 3rd down. I guess he could have heaved it long on 3rd. But once he spiked it. It's 4th down. Kick the FG......
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    The Raiders beat Jacksonville because very late in the game the Jaguars committed nonsensical penalties , giving Jano a chance.

And the only reason we beat Jacksonville is because their starting qb and rb got injured. Blaine Gabbert was tearing us up. Blaine Gabbert!.

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    You think I'm hardassing this coaching staff but I'm not. As DarkLordAlDavis pointed out, we had a 4th down--I'd forgotten about that part. It was utterly brainless to go for it in that situation. Even if Jano misses that kick, it's still the right decision and anyone second guessing it would have been wrong. What if we don't convert that 4th down? Game over, time to go home. Out with a whimper yet again. But we did convert it, thereby guaranteeing the loss. I'd bet that Cleveland's sideline breathed a sigh of relief when they realized we weren't going to kick it because it sealed the game for them.

The thinking and imagination isn't there with this coaching staff. They run a dull, predictable scheme on both sides of the ball and none of the players execute it very well. We're not just 3-10, we're a really bad 3-10. If we didn't have KC and Jacksonville on our schedule our lone win would have been against the Steelers. And the only reason we beat Jacksonville is because their starting qb and rb got injured. Blaine Gabbert was tearing us up. Blaine Gabbert! He needs help tearing up a losing lottery ticket but he was kicking our ass that day.
    I don't think you're hardassing, you always bring good points in your posts, I don't agree but I comend you for always using good thought. I always say go for the 7 when you need 10, looking back on it sure the 3 seems to be better. Regardless of what direstion is choosen, they still needed to recover the onsides kick, and, well we know how good the special teams are.
    B. anthracis likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by POKE View Post
    If they allow Greg Knapp another year then they should take down all the JUST WIN BABY and COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE signs.

Also the special teams and Offensive Line Coach get go too.

Sh-t
    I wish I could like this more than once
    sundeep likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back

Hall of Famer
    If they do replace Knapp, I think most of us would be happy about it.
    steele dick is on a roll!
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back

truepirate1966 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman56 View Post
    steele dick is on a roll!

He is just a lower budget version of Gold Member.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information