Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Replacing DA's assistant coaches

  1. #16
    B. anthracis's Avatar
    B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,961
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    I know DA is gonna get another year at least, that's why I was saying he needs to replace the assistants. I'm getting to the point that I don't know what's worse, the coaches or players or if it's all just got to go. But for sure, if DA doesn't make some changes, he's gonna find himself gone before too long. Davis may say that he's leaving it in RM's hands but push comes to shove and RM is gonna feel the heat to bring someone else in.
    I think he's going to get another year too. I have some half-ass inside info that I tend to believe more than I don't, but I wouldn't be waging the house on it either.

    Did Hue do such a good job of masking what was wrong with this team that when this coaching staff came in it was just too much to handle? It's really eye opening how bad these players are. Our starters wouldn't even start for most teams out there. Our depth players probably shouldn't even be in the league. It's really depressing watching these guys flounder during games
    He did do a decent job of masking the deficiencies after we lost Jason Campbell and McFadden in the space of three quarters. Before then we were doing pretty well. By the end we were down to one RB (Bush) and 2/3 of our WR corps was out during any given time. Hue made the mistake of not going more to our TEs during that time, but as far as the D goes, it's hard to hold him accountable for it. In regard to this thread topic, last year was a perfect example of what the OP is discussing: Keep the HC but fire some assistant coaches. The only one that needed firing last year was Bresnahan. It would have been a lot easier and a lot more productive just to get rid of him than the entire coaching staff. That's what happens most of the time in a situation such as we experienced last year.

    The only defensive players we're missing from last year are Routt and Wimbley. And Routt's now out of the league. It's not much of a stretch to think that we could have found a DC that could have fielded a better D than the one that Tarver's put on the field. But we'll never know. Oh well.

  2. #17
    POKE's Avatar
    POKE is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rich City (Richmond,CA)
    Posts
    17,116
    If they allow Greg Knapp another year then they should take down all the JUST WIN BABY and COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE signs.

    Also the special teams and Offensive Line Coach get go too.

    Sh-t

  3. #18
    Murphys Law's Avatar
    Murphys Law is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_Raider_Fan View Post
    Many posters here believe that due to the reputation of the franchise ,head coaches (or GM's) would not want to be employed by the Raiders. That was likely true while Al Davis was living, but now I believe that working for the Raiders is as good as any NFL job.
    However, I do not expect potential good offensive or defensive coaches would want to hitch themselves to Dennis Allen's wagon. First things first, he needs to go.
    This is the sanest post Ive read on here all season

  4. #19
    SoCalR8r's Avatar
    SoCalR8r is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,479
    That is a legitimate concern regarding DA. If DA is going to be "the guy" going forward, we may be able to land some coaching assistants that are looking to become future HCs but I think DA will have a hard time landing a coaching staff that's here for the long haul. Also, there will be many, many coaching vacancies opening up this offseason. Many of those teams are in better positions than we are. Some coaches will be interested for the simple fact that "if you can be successful in Oakland, you can be successful anywhere". But it's much easier to make a name for yourself quickly with a team that's just a player or two away. Until DA shows some head coaching prowess, I think he'll have a hard time landing some of the premier coaching assistants in the league because not too many people around the league are looking at Oakland for their future assistant coaches or head coaches at this point.

  5. #20
    JUSTWINBABY9111's Avatar
    JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Worrier View Post
    The strategic move is to keep the assistants. Bring them all back. Then if things are still FUBAR next year, you fire them next offseason.
    It buys RM and DA a 3rd year.

    Then we draft and start a rookie QB and there is your excuse for a 3'rd year of mediocre play.
    Better than 2002-2011. The cupboards are bare, so yes unless a GM is making moves like Jimmy Johnson with no Hershel Walker, it could take time. Bare as in no franchise type players, unless people want to include Darren McFadden. I wish he was a trading chip, as well as Palmer, but they are not. That proves the roster sucks ass.
    CLatino likes this.

  6. #21
    Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,606
    Reggie screwed up on the contract.....gave this dude a 4 year deal, that's a lot of money to eat, a 3 year deal with the 3rd being an option would of been more realistic for a guy who wasn't even an well established coordinator
    B. anthracis likes this.

  7. #22
    allengs's Avatar
    allengs is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    I'm hoping in the offseason, DA comes to his senses and fires most of the staff he has, but who are some viable alternatives that may be available next season?


    1. OC - Obviously Knapp should be the first one out the door

    2. O and D line - Both the O and D lines have taken some major steps backwards

    3. LB - LBs haven't been bad but having McClain def didn't help

    4. ST has been pretty awful and needs to be upgraded

    5. Secondary has been one of the worst I've seen, although we didn't have much to start with either

    6. Strength and Conditioning - Injuries are major problems, as no one has been able to stay healthy

    5. DC - Do we replace Tarver? If so, with whom? Or do we give him another year with some decent players?

    6. What do you guys think about getting Jim Washburn to come in as the new D line coach if we stay with a 4-3?

    It's really hard to tell if the players suck this bad or it's the coaches that have come in recently. I know a lot of the players we have are pure garbage but who is salvagable at this point? I'm thinking Huff, DHB and DMC may stick around if they take a reduction in pay but the rest may be told to walk as FAs
    Nerdy Dennis Allen and Whole Staff need to be Junked. DA is no Leader of Men.

  8. #23
    allengs's Avatar
    allengs is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Reggie screwed up on the contract.....gave this dude a 4 year deal, that's a lot of money to eat, a 3 year deal with the 3rd being an option would of been more realistic for a guy who wasn't even an well established coordinator
    Yeah, what was Reggie thinking? Well, the lost money isn't out of RM pocket. Only a Foolish General Manager would give an unproven Rookie 4 years. However, Mark Davis is going to lose more $$$$$ if DA is kept. I don't see Raider Nation shelling out their hard earned dollars next season to See Garbage.

  9. #24
    DarkLordAlDavis's Avatar
    DarkLordAlDavis is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Temples Of Syrinx
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by SF_Raider_Fan View Post
    Many posters here believe that due to the reputation of the franchise ,head coaches (or GM's) would not want to be employed by the Raiders. That was likely true while Al Davis was living, but now I believe that working for the Raiders is as good as any NFL job. However, I do not expect potential good offensive or defensive coaches would want to hitch themselves to Dennis Allen's wagon. First things first, he needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by B. anthracis View Post
    I don't understand how you hold the assistants responsible for the poor play but not the HC. If it were just one area, then okay. But we're bad in every aspect of the game. That starts at the top. If all the assistants go then it would seem the HC has to go too. And what if you keep the same staff on for another year and it's just as bad? Then you'll have had two drafts for players in a system that may not be desired by the next coaching staff. Bam, right back to square one with a hodgepodge of players, some acquired for Allen's system, some not.

    After a season like this it's best to cut ties, eat the contract money for the coaches and move on. But if we do keep him, then you could get away with firing Knapp and the ST coach, but keep Tarver until he does have some players that aren't total ass. And also find a new STs coach.

    ^^^What They said^^^

    They all need to go. I would let R.M stay as the GM.....

    1st About the $$ Mark Davis would need to eat getting rid of all the coaches. Like eating a players contract sometimes ya just gotta admit the mistake and move on. At least with coaches there is no cap hit. In the end I believe Davis would save money. If Allen, Knapp and the others come back. Can anyone guess what attendance will be?? I think the Raiders would be looking at 25,000 a game. On the other hand. If the Raiders managed to get a Sean Payton. Attendance goes up. What they can charge for tickets goes up. What they can charge advertisers goes up. Merchandise sales etc. It also buys Mark Davis and RM time. If a Payton were hired the fans would give him some time compared to Allen. If Allen is back its gonna get real ugly......Another year of Allen and his assistants also screws up player development. Maby I am wrong but Moore, Wiz, Bey, Veldheer, McFadden to different degrees all look to have regressed to me. Reese couldn't even get used until both backs were out. That might be on Knapp but Allen wanted him. Right now this team and franchise are dead. Something major needs to be done and planning for it should start now.....

    I finally gave up on Allen after the Cleveland game. That was the final straw when he didn't kick the 40 or so yard FG on 4th and 1. Do that at least it gives the Raiders a chance to try and on sides kick recover and still have around 40 seconds to score the TD. Allen going for it ate up all the clock. Others might disagree. But I think Allen just wanted to make the score look better. Either that or he just gave up....

    At the very least Knapp, Pollack and Hanson need to go. If Allen stays I would keep Tarver. After all isn't D supposed to be Dennis Allen's strength. He should be helping Tarver out. Of course only doing two things at once like coaching and chewing gum seem to be over Allen's head....

    (edit) I forgot about the OP mentioning Jim Washburn. I live near E-Girl country. The guy is bad news. He was back stabbing the coaches from day 1 especially the Castillo. It continued with the new DC from Miami last year who's name slips my mind. Reid finally had enough when he kept bitching about Jason Babin being cut. Washburn got in a sideline altercation with the E-Girl OC. Reid during the season even got rid of the TV's, refrigerator and coffee pot Washburn put in the room the D met in.....On 610 WIP they even said Washburn would get into screaming matches with Jeff Fischer at Tenn....
    Last edited by DarkLordAlDavis; 12-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    B. anthracis likes this.
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......
    “We’re not very good … We suck. I am embarrassed.” Charles Woodson....
    Counting the days until this regime is gone....

  10. #25
    raiders_fan67's Avatar
    raiders_fan67 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
    Posts
    3,653
    I would fire Knapp and O L and get Wiz to come back and go to power blocking. Hire a proven O C and draft for defense and bring in some quality free agent's that wasn't on injured reserve the year before. We need some corners in the worse way. Seymour needs to go and they need to get some players like Carson,Kelly,DHB,Huff to to redo their contracts. If Reggie is as smart as some of you think he could turn this team around fast with the right moves in free agency and have a great draft. If this team doesn't improve a lot next year then I would say bye to Reggie and Dennis. It is time to quit pussy footing around and go North next year
    nocrabshere likes this.

  11. #26
    Jermeh's Avatar
    Jermeh is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    45
    I too would like to keep Tarver for one more year, watching his interviews all year. He is a good communicator and experienced at teaching.

    I'm sure with more talent and a healthy group he will do better. especially since offense and defense help each other hand in hand. even though the defense

    cant as they say during the season. "we cant control when we get on the field we control how we get off the field" is exactly true.

    our defense im sure has a lot more field time then our offense. I say give him at least one more year.

    Knapp on the other hand leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I saw him as our OC, I think about the scheme the same. but defiantly some play calling is questionable

    I would be happy with chance on OC

  12. #27
    x2RedReaper2x is online now Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    I'm hoping in the offseason, DA comes to his senses and fires most of the staff he has, but who are some viable alternatives that may be available next season?


    1. OC - Obviously Knapp should be the first one out the door

    2. O and D line - Both the O and D lines have taken some major steps backwards

    3. LB - LBs haven't been bad but having McClain def didn't help

    4. ST has been pretty awful and needs to be upgraded

    5. Secondary has been one of the worst I've seen, although we didn't have much to start with either

    6. Strength and Conditioning - Injuries are major problems, as no one has been able to stay healthy

    5. DC - Do we replace Tarver? If so, with whom? Or do we give him another year with some decent players?

    6. What do you guys think about getting Jim Washburn to come in as the new D line coach if we stay with a 4-3?

    It's really hard to tell if the players suck this bad or it's the coaches that have come in recently. I know a lot of the players we have are pure garbage but who is salvagable at this point? I'm thinking Huff, DHB and DMC may stick around if they take a reduction in pay but the rest may be told to walk as FAs
    First, please learn to count...

    The special teams this year has been terrible, and I am positive Steve Hoffman is gone at the end of the year. Knapp is probably gone. I would give Tarver another year because our defensive talent is putrid. The D-lines step back was in no way caused by coaching, it's been caused by Kelly and Seymour just flat out sucking this year.

  13. #28
    MDR8ERFAN's Avatar
    MDR8ERFAN is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordAlDavis View Post
    ^^^What They said^^^

    They all need to go. I would let R.M stay as the GM.....

    1st About the $$ Mark Davis would need to eat getting rid of all the coaches. Like eating a players contract sometimes ya just gotta admit the mistake and move on. At least with coaches there is no cap hit. In the end I believe Davis would save money. If Allen, Knapp and the others come back. Can anyone guess what attendance will be?? I think the Raiders would be looking at 25,000 a game. On the other hand. If the Raiders managed to get a Sean Payton. Attendance goes up. What they can charge for tickets goes up. What they can charge advertisers goes up. Merchandise sales etc. It also buys Mark Davis and RM time. If a Payton were hired the fans would give him some time compared to Allen. If Allen is back its gonna get real ugly......Another year of Allen and his assistants also screws up player development. Maby I am wrong but Moore, Wiz, Bey, Veldheer, McFadden to different degrees all look to have regressed to me. Reese couldn't even get used until both backs were out. That might be on Knapp but Allen wanted him. Right now this team and franchise are dead. Something major needs to be done and planning for it should start now.....

    I finally gave up on Allen after the Cleveland game. That was the final straw when he didn't kick the 40 or so yard FG on 4th and 1. Do that at least it gives the Raiders a chance to try and on sides kick recover and still have around 40 seconds to score the TD. Allen going for it ate up all the clock. Others might disagree. But I think Allen just wanted to make the score look better. Either that or he just gave up....

    At the very least Knapp, Pollack and Hanson need to go. If Allen stays I would keep Tarver. After all isn't D supposed to be Dennis Allen's strength. He should be helping Tarver out. Of course only doing two things at once like coaching and chewing gum seem to be over Allen's head....
    The Cleveland game? They had to score twice either way so what is the difference if they try the onsides with 20 seconds left and only have to go 15-20 yards to kick the FG. Basically you are saying he gave up because in your OPINION he did the wrong thing, it made no difference either way they needed 10 points.


    There are some assistants I would like to see gone after the season but it's not like they can go out and hire whoever. So saying fire this guy and bring in this guy isn't how it works if other teams won't let us talk to their guys. Also please research some of the names you're throwing out because some have thrown out names with zero playing calling experience yet the complaint is none of these guys are proven. You can't have it both ways...

  14. #29
    Jimi18's Avatar
    Jimi18 is offline

    MODERATOR
    2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    39,179
    I would like to see..

    Tim Brown as WR/ St assistant.
    Rich Gannon QB conditioning coach
    Jon Ritchie Tailbacks asst coach
    Barry sanders RB asst. coach
    Bill Romo LBs asst coach
    and bring back Rod Woodson for DBs asst coaching

    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

  15. #30
    SoCalR8r's Avatar
    SoCalR8r is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi18 View Post
    I would like to see..

    Tim Brown as WR/ St assistant.
    Rich Gannon QB conditioning coach
    Jon Ritchie Tailbacks asst coach
    Barry sanders RB asst. coach
    Bill Romo LBs asst coach
    and bring back Rod Woodson for DBs asst coaching


    And would that be Flores or Gruden running the show?
    truepirate1966 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •