Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Taiwan Jones May Convert to CB, Bergstrom-Adams-Criner-Streater to see Game Time

Hall of Famer

Post Taiwan Jones May Convert to CB, Bergstrom-Adams-Criner-Streater to see Game Time

Streater went from looking for a job in the real world to a Raiders keeper - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Streater went from looking for a job in the real world to a Raiders keeper

By Steve Corkran
    Friday, December 7th, 2012 at 3:04 pm in Oakland Raiders.

At this time last year, wide receiver Rod Streater was winding down his football career at Temple and contemplating life in the communications field. Today, he is, perhaps, the Raiders most productive wide receiver, at least of late.

Credit the Raiders for seeing in Streater something that 31 other teams didn’t as Streater went undrafted in the seven-round process last April.
    Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie signed Streater soon after the draft, in part because of what a Raiders scout saw from Streater at his pro day workout before the NFL draft.

Now, Streater has developed into a keeper as the Raiders look to the future. He has 28 receptions for 429 yards and three touchdowns in 13 games.
    “Streater, really, the last couple of games has made some big plays for us,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “That’s good to see him, from a young player’s perspective.”

On Thursday night, Streater backed up a 96-yard effort against the Cleveland Browns with a four-catch, 100-yard game.
    Not bad for a guy that caught only 19 passes his final season at Temple and wasn’t on the radar of many, if any, NFL teams.

“It’s a crazy feeling,” Streater said Friday. “I thought football was over for me. I was just looking at getting a job. Then you come here and the game’s on your hands. It’s a lot of pressure and then it’s not. It’s what you prepare for. It’s what you want to do as a kid growing up. You want to be Thursday night football making that game-winning touchdown. It’s a good feeling.”

Streater is the kind of player Allen and the Raiders are looking for as they move forward in their rebuilding process. He works hard, is diligent about correcting his mistakes and finding ways to get better.

“I’m getting better,” Streater said. “I didn’t have as many mental errors. My effort is good, so I did pretty good but, in the end, we didn’t win, so I always grade myself down regardless.”

Third-year receiver Jacoby Ford said he told Streater and the other young receivers that now is their time to get noticed.

“We always have one every year,” Ford said of the Raiders penchant for finding young receivers of late. “He’s been making plays since he’s been here. He looked up to us. We told him, ‘You just got to go out there and make plays.’ I told him yesterday, I said, ‘They’re going to give you guys some opportunities to make plays and they’re going to throw it up. Just take advantage of your opportunity.’ And that’s exactly what he does. He just makes plays week in , week out.”

– Allen said running back Darren McFadden appears to be fine on the heels of the aggravated ankle sprain he suffered against the Broncos.
    Allen said he expects McFadden to be “fine.” McFadden missed four straight games with the ankle injury he suffered against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Nov. 4. Lats night was his first game back.

“It seemed like he was going to be OK,” Allen said. “He was walking around fine, didn’t have a lot of pain. I don’t think it’s an injury that’s going to keep him out any time.”

McFadden rushed 11 times for 52 yards, with 36 yards coming on one carry. He averaged 1.6 yards on his 10 other carries.

– Cornerback Michael Huff suffered a wrist injury against the Broncos and missed a large portion of the game. Allen said X-rays on Huff’s wrist returned negative. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI today.

“I don’t think it’s a major issue, but we’ll kind of have to wait and see,” Allen said.

– Starting middle linebacker Rolando McClain’s two-game suspension ends Monday. Allen said he will discuss how the Raiders plan to proceed at that time.

The Raiders will have to make a roster move if they opt to allow McClain back into the fold. If not, they will be forced to waive McClain or place him on a reserve list of some kind.

– Running back Taiwan Jones just can’t seem to get on the field, other than on special teams. To that end, he said he is open to the prospect of converting to cornerback, if that’s what it means for him to play more.

“Yeah, I’ve thought about it a lot,” Jones said. “Really, I just love playing football. If they need me to play defense, I’d be pretty happy with that.”

Jones played cornerback in high school and his first year in college. The Raiders selected him in the fourth round of the 2011 NFL draft, but Jones hasn’t been used much in either of his first two seasons.

Allen and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp have offered a variety of reasons for not playing Jones on offense — blocking assignments, injuries putting him behind, ball-handling issues and so on.

Yet, Jones said he feels as if he is adept at all those things and just needs an opportunity to show what he can do in a regular-season game.
    “I really don’t know, like, exactly why I’m not getting the carries,” Jones said. “I’m at a point where I can’t control it, so I really don’t worry about it. That’s why I’m really giving it all I got on special teams.”

Jones said his coaches know how eager he is to play more. Best he can tell, he isn’t doing anything that might preclude him from getting a shot.
    “I practice just like all the other running backs and I feel like I do a pretty good job of not having too many mental errors,” Jones said. “I know my effort is there. It’s not my decision to make.”

This came on a day when Allen talked about the need to take a look at young, inexperienced players the final three games, with an eye toward seeing what the Raiders have for next season and beyond.

“As we go along, these last three games, we really need to evaluate some of these young guys and see what we have going forward into next year,” Allen said.

– When Allen talks about the future, he said he and McKenzie are in lock-step. For now, the challenge is trying to win games between now and the end of the season, while working in the younger players.

“All of us, as competitors, we want to win,” Allen said. “That’s what it’s all about. But I also understand, and I’ve got a big-picture view of what I want this football team to look like. Reggie and I have talked about it.

“We knew what we were dealing with when we came here. We knew we had some depth issues on the roster, and we couldn’t sustain a lot of injuries. We’ve sustained a few injuries in some spots. We all want to win, and I understand that. And I want to win now, but I’m looking at the long-term future of this team. We’ve got to prepare for the future.”

When asked how close that picture looks compared to the one he sees now, Allen declined to say how long he envisions the two meshing.
    “I wouldn’t put any time frame on it,” Allen said. “It’s going to take time. It doesn’t happen with one decision. It’s a accumulation of decisions made over time that gets everything to be exactly how you want it.”

– Wide receiver Denarius Moore caught four passes against the Broncos and looked much sharper than he did against the Browns, in particular, and in recent games.

“He responded to a couple of down weeks,” Allen said. “He came back out and responded to adversity. Like we have talked to the players, adversity doesn’t define who you are, it’s how you respond to adversity that tells a lot about who you are. And he responded well.”

– Ford made a rare appearance in the locker room, which isn’t surprising for a player that is on season-ending injured reserve.
    Ford got out of the walking boot that he needed after a foot surgery in September. Now his sights are set upon getting back into tip-top shape so that he can rejoin his teammates for the 2013 season.

“I feel like a normal person again,” Ford said. “I can put on a regular shoe, walk around. But it feels good. It took awhile. It was a long little process to go through, but it’s something I’m getting through pretty well, though.”

Ford suffered his injury in an exhibition game against the Arizona Cardinals. He didn’t play in another game and ultimately got shut down for the season with a Lisfranc injury.

Ford said he intends to remain in the Bay Area during the offseason so that he can work his way back into shape, while under the watchful eyes of team trainers. He’s also fired up about the Raiders offense upon his return.

“If we get everybody healthy and on the field at the same time, we definitely could be a really dynamic offense,” Ford said. “That’s just something we’ve got to get to in the offseason, to make it to the season.”

Streater went from looking for a job in the real world to a Raiders keeper - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Coach Allen Friday

Head Coach Dennis Allen spoke to the media Friday afternoon and discussed the Raiders 26-13 loss to the Denver Broncos.

On injury update for Darren McFadden and Michael Huff: “Huff had an X-ray, which was negative. He’s in the process of getting an MRI. I don’t have the results of that yet. It’s a wrist that I don’t think it’s a major issue, but we’ll kind of have to wait and see. Darren today seemed like he was going to be okay. He was walking around fine, didn’t have a lot of pain, so I don’t think it’s an injury that’s going to keep him out any time.”

On if Huff came out because of injury or because of his play: “Mostly because of the wrist, but really we talked about it early in the week that we wanted to get Phillip [Adams] in there some and he’d earned the right to get more playing time. So we had a plan to get him in there anyway.”

On if they’d use Huff at free safety to get Adams more time: “I don’t necessarily think that to be the case, but we’ll sit down and evaluate that a little bit further as far as where we’re at from a depth standpoint, really at both positions.”

On evaluating the younger talent: “We definitely need to see some of these younger guys play. Offensive line-wise, obviously Tony Bergstrom is a guy that we want to see play a little more. We’ve seen a lot more of [Rod] Streater and [Juron] Criner from the wide receiver position. I thought Streater really the last couple of games has made some big plays for us, so that’s good to see him from a young player’s perspective. Obviously, getting Phillip Adams in there a little bit more at corner, so I think as we go along in these last three games, we really need to evaluate some of these young guys and see what we have going forward into next year.”

On possibility of Bergstrom starting: “I mean, I’m not ready to make that decision right now, but that’s obviously a possibility. I think we’ve got to see some of these young guys play.”

On if Terrelle Pryor could see a start: “I think the biggest thing is, is start getting him into the game a little bit and let him see a little game action. I’m not ready to say that he would be a starter. I think Carson [Palmer], obviously he’s made a couple mistakes the last couple of weeks, but yet, Carson has been one of the reasons why, specifically earlier in the year, why we had a chance in certain games. I’m not down on Carson at all. Obviously we want to see some of these younger guys play.”

On balancing wanting to win with evaluating young players: “I don’t think it’s going to be difficult at all. I think we have to understand is, as players and coaches, we have to look to the future also. We’re trying to go out there and win and it’s our job to go out there and win on a day-to-day basis. But we’ve also got to look at…this process, it’s not an overnight process. It’s going to take a little bit of time. So the only way we can move forward is to continue to look at some of these young guys.”

On if he’ll reinstate Rolando McClain on Monday: “I haven’t talked to Rolando yet. But I’ll address Rolando’s situation next week.”

On if he plans to talk to McClain before Monday: “Probably not.”

On if he’ll be at the facility on Monday: “I will not be here on Monday, no.”

On if he’ll return by Wednesday: “Yes.”

On if he said McFadden was okay: “Yes, at least he was moving around fine today. I didn’t feel like it was going to be any issue.”

On having patience through this season: “I think all of us, as competitors, we want to win. And that’s what it’s all about. But I also understand, and I’ve got a big picture view of what I want this football team to look like. Reggie [McKenzie] and I have talked about it. We knew what we were dealing with when we came here. We knew that we had some depth issues on the roster and we couldn’t sustain a lot of injuries. We’ve sustained some injuries in a few spots, but we all want to win and I understand that. I want to win now, but I’m looking at the long-term future of this team and we’ve got to prepare for the future.”

On how long he thinks it will take to get the ideal roster: “I wouldn’t put a time frame on it. It’s going to take time. It doesn’t happen with one decision; it’s an accumulation of decision made over time that gets everything to be exactly how you want it.”

On if the players are more prone to mistakes because they keep happening: “No, I don’t think one mistake necessarily feeds off another and makes you any more prone to making a mistake. I think, at the end of the day, our ability to mentally focus in, in snap decisions, under pressure, is where we have to get better.”

On using Pryor: “We haven’t discussed specifically as far as working on a series basis, but we’ve got a package of plays that we’ve had up and available the last couple of weeks to get Terrelle in the game. I think at some point we’ll get him in the game and we’ll have a package of plays for him to run.”

On fewer targets for Brandon Myers: “I think a lot of it has to do with the way the defense played. I’ve gotten a few questions about different guys and trying to get the ball into certain individual’s hands and we try to do everything we can to try to get the ball into our playmakers hands. Like I said, I thought Rod Streater did an outstanding job in the game; made a few nice plays. Denarius Moore came back and made some plays in the game after having a little bit of a rough spell. Sometimes that’s the way the game plays out and you have to be able to adjust.”

On if fewer targets for Myers was because of Von Miller: “Some of it is you have to keep him in for protection purposes, absolutely yes. I think we had a protection plan where we wanted to get some chips in and keep the tight end in a little bit more often to help against that pass rush. They’ve got two excellent rushers on the edge.”

On Moore’s toughness: “I thought he responded to a couple down weeks. I thought he came back out and responded to adversity. Like we talk to our players, adversity doesn’t define who you are, it’s how you respond to adversity tells a lot about who you are. I thought he responded well.”

On if there has been any discussion within the organization about improving fan safety in light of the fan who fell yesterday: “I’m not sure exactly what’s been discussed from an organizational standpoint. I just found out probably 15 minutes ago about that, so I wouldn’t be the one to ask on that.”

On Palmer’s play the last few weeks: “I would say that he’s made some mistakes the last couple of weeks that maybe he hadn’t made earlier in the year. I’m not displeased with Carson. I think he’d be the first to admit when he makes a mistake and he understands the repercussions of making those types of mistakes. He continues to work on a day-to-day basis to try to lead this football team. He’s one of the guys we have to lean on going forward.”

On if he’s noticed any change in attitude with Palmer: “No, he’s the same guy he was when I first got here. He continues to work. I’ll never question Carson Palmer’s work ethic or his ability to be a pro. That is not at all in question.”

On if Palmer tries to do too much: “I think we all fall into that at times. I think what happens is when things don’t go well, guys try to do a little too much and I think all of us, coaches, players, I think we’ve all gotten caught up in that a little bit.”

On the Von Miller strip-sack: “Their guy won that play. It was unfortunate when it happened, but those things happen in a ball game and that was an unfortunate play.”

Coach Allen Friday
    Last edited by Artois; 12-08-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    John Madden: How is Carr going to do on the road? How is he going to do against a Rex Ryan defense that’s going to show him everything that you can show him? He’s going to be tested a lot more than he was tested in that first quarter of the fourth preseason game… It’s going to take time. He’s going to have to see everything and experience everything. Believe me, they’re going to throw it at him.

Jmac89 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Taiwan Jones May Convert to CB, Bergstrom-Adams-Criner-Streater to see Game Time

Really is that gonna make him better ? lol

Hall of Famer
    Everyone is talking about seeing Pryor, but Allen seems more interested in evaluating the other rookies:

You got to admit, this is a great play...hope it's not a fluke:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_X38Ajhs75k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't find video of it, but Criner put a great move to get open, but of course dropped the ball.
    Raidersman321 likes this.
    John Madden: How is Carr going to do on the road? How is he going to do against a Rex Ryan defense that’s going to show him everything that you can show him? He’s going to be tested a lot more than he was tested in that first quarter of the fourth preseason game… It’s going to take time. He’s going to have to see everything and experience everything. Believe me, they’re going to throw it at him.

Veteran

Taiwan Jones May Convert to CB, Bergstrom-Adams-Criner-Streater to see Game Time

Anything would be an upgrade from what we have now at CB so what's the difference lol
    Raider Ran and raider4llf like this.
    Al Davis 1929-2011
    Your commitment to excellence and your will to win will endure forever. RIP Al

Hall of Famer
    Jones>>>BEAST!!!

Just give him the F,n rock already!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

R8RRICK is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Jones at CB? I had no clue he could play that position.

j_sizzle is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Taiwan Jones is gonna be a great corner... he already does a good job of batting the football away
    speedkills, badrlgn07 and Warren like this.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RRICK View Post
    supposedly he used to play corner in High school or college.

All-Pro
    If Pryor really wants an NFL career he may want to think about converting to receiver

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RRICK View Post
    Jones can do it all baby!!!B-E-A-S-T!!!
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

Hall of Famer
    Taiwan Jones looks great on the special team... no pun intended. Not sure about his 'coverage' skills but he certainly has shown he can get there FAST and TACKLE the opponent, something Raiders defense seems to be lacking. I don't know why everyone jokes about him, he can be a good player, but he needs a chance.

Hall of Famer
    I wish we would use jones as a KR or PR. He probably would have been better then what we got all season. What a waste of speed.

snevillio is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Good to see Ford back around the team, staying locally in the offseason and working to get back in shape, would be great if we could have him healthy and focused for us next year.

Donaldray510 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by xlwhellraiser View Post
    Taiwan Jones looks great on the special team... no pun intended. Not sure about his 'coverage' skills but he certainly has shown he can get there FAST and TACKLE the opponent, something Raiders defense seems to be lacking. I don't know why everyone jokes about him, he can be a good player, but he needs a chance.
    Agreed. People kinda attack Taiwan on this forum as if he has done something wrong. Hopefully the coaches can find a role for him.
    P.K3100 and Rainman56 like this.

AF1PIMPN is offline Banned
    All-Pro

Mark Davis please get these dumb asses(Mckenzie/Allen) outta here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information