Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Taiwan Jones May Convert to CB, Bergstrom-Adams-Criner-Streater to see Game Time

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by B. anthracis View Post
    I see what you're saying but how does that eliminate him from ever carrying the ball, or catching passes on screens, in the flat, on wheel routes, etc. What about in I formations with a FB in front of him or as a chip blocker before running into the flat? What about pro-sets? What about offset I's?

If the mentality of the staff is what you're saying it is, then I think it makes my point that much more: That being that they're not able to utilize the talents of the players they have.

I remember when I first started doing sales for our family business. We were a small outfit that didn't carry everything our competitors did (at least not all the same product lines). There were just some things we didn't have. After awhile I started complaining about that and then one day my brother got fed up with my complaining and said, "Look, we don't have all that sh!t. That's the way it is. It's never gonna be perfect here so start focusing on all the other things we do carry and sell what we do have!" It was an epiphany for me and I never complained about it again. I used what we had and moved forward. The mentality of this coaching staff, or at least the way it's portrayed by some here is that they need the perfect guy at every position in order to succeed, and/or that every guy at every position must be capable of doing everything all the time or else they can't use him. Well, if that's the case then good luck with that because if it happens it'll be the first time ever.
    Maybe this "utilizing the talent that is there" business is more like ... what the h3ll good is a one-trick pony. We need rounded NFL quality players on this team. Lets focus on the guys that have a chance to be that.

Hall of Famer
    Players changing position = Your in deep sh!t

That said, he would of been a better CB prospect in college than RB based on what I've seen....
    Who knows if any bigger school would of used him at RB....

Hall of Famer
    I really think Taiwan won't be back next season. He's an incredible physical specimen but not much of a football player from what we've seen so far.

Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    Taiwan is 50-50 to be back. He is a very good gunner our ST coverage is way better when he is in there the few games he missed with injury we are terrible. The rest I all agree with by the way, we know what we have in Barnes, DHB, and Moore so lets give Streater, Criner and Bergstrom more time.

As much criticism as RM gets from some here this is actually looking like a rather solid draft. Streater-Criner might end up being our 2 and 3 at WR, Burris Starter at LB and Bikulki is looking more solid on the DL by the game.
    sa_dick_steele and Rainman56 like this.
    "Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidermofojeff View Post

That said, he would of been a better CB prospect in college than RB based on what I've seen....
    Who knows if any bigger school would of used him at RB....
    Pretty sure he got his scholarship because of his play in HS at CB...
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    This is why I have Knapps back

BleedSnB is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    I"m all for getting the young guys some game action to see how they handle themselves. I'm also all for moving Taiwan to CB to see what he can do there. By far that best he has played is on kick coverage and the dude just is not a NFL RB. Like another poster said, there is more to being a RB than just running fast. I don't think I have ever heard a coach talk about the RB position and not mention pass blocking. You MUST be able to pick up the blitz and Taiwan can't. I think it was against either the browns or the saints (or possibly the sack fest that was the bengals game) but Taiwan was in the game on a 3rd down and the D blitzed, Taiwan slid over to pick it up and didn't even slow the LB down. He got blown up like a little rag doll. In fact I think the LB hit him so hard that Taiwan flew back and hit Palmer before any defensive player did.

I don't mind keeping Taiwan on the team. He has shown a very good ability to get down the field on punt coverage and to make the play when it's there to be made. I also believe he can grow into a better return man as he learns how to secure the ball. I think he could have a very long and productive career as a special teams ace, but you also have to have a offensive or defensive position to play that you provide depth for. Make the move, see what kind of instincts he has at CB, because he obviously has the athletic ability to play.

Hall of Famer
    TBH, I don't trust this coaching staff enough to think they can turn him into a viable CB. I wouldn't mind seeing him try though. He seems to have decent tackling skills and the speed to keep up in coverage but that's about it

I like him in kick and punt return coverage and if he makes his living there, I can see him being a backup RB in a pinch too. I also would like to see a good ST coach help him with ball security on kickoffs and punts. I think he'd be a real asset there

Be a shame to cut a guy with his athleticism because our coaching staff sucks
    Artois likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Lets be honest about this. The ONLY reason anyone is talking about this guy is because he ran a 4.33. That is it. He was a RB at a small college and it didn't translate to the NFL. He has had chances at KR and it didn't fly. The kid works hard on special teams, so I'm not against keeping him for that, and if we do, we might as well see if he can play DB. But lets keep this reasonable. The kid is a borderline player who probably doesn't belong in the NFL. All he can do is play on special teams, and he isn't good enough at that to make him worthwhile.

We need actual NFL players on this team, not guys who can run fast.
    kultan likes this.

Okie is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    So was Chris Johnson, howd that translate to the NFL?

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KrimzonR8R View Post
    TBH, I don't trust this coaching staff enough to think they can turn him into a viable CB. I wouldn't mind seeing him try though. He seems to have decent tackling skills and the speed to keep up in coverage but that's about it

I like him in kick and punt return coverage and if he makes his living there, I can see him being a backup RB in a pinch too. I also would like to see a good ST coach help him with ball security on kickoffs and punts. I think he'd be a real asset there

Be a shame to cut a guy with his athleticism because our coaching staff sucks
    He would take care of part of our ST problem if he could secure the ball better for punts and kickoffs. Better field position is always a good thing. There are more factors than ball security such as vision and decision making, but if he can do it he would be a lot of fun to watch.
    Artois likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzan View Post
    I really think Taiwan won't be back next season. He's an incredible physical specimen but not much of a football player from what we've seen so far.

Id have to disagree. Taiwan Jones IS a football player. If he was only a physical specimen then they would never consider him at CB, probably the most skilled position in football. You put players in your CB spot, not just athletes.

Right now he only plays special teams and we are better when hes in. He can tackle, hes not afraid of contact, and he can track the ball. But, if you ask me we are wasting his talents. Im not saying we should be using this guy full time at RB but we should be creating packages for him. Look around the league.

Danny Woodhead
    Darren sproles
    Percy harvin
    Randoll Cobb
    Dexter Mccluster

Some of these guys are exceptional and Taiwan might never be in the same class as some of these guys but 1 things for sure. Non of these guys are bigger then Taiwan. Most of these guys play in special packages. The coaches design plays to their strengths and don't put them in situations that expose their weaknesses.

There is no reason we can't use him in some type of bubble screens out of the slot or back field, run sweep, go off tackle, and once in awhile draw plays. There is no excuse for it. We all know that Taiwan is raw. But you still need to develop the man. Thats what most people call developing your players for the future. He is young and he is happy to be here. Give him a few years in the weight room and he might be a real terror on the field. Sadly with this current staff we will never know.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lix333 View Post
    Id have to disagree. Taiwan Jones IS a football player. If he was only a physical specimen then they would never consider him at CB, probably the most skilled position in football. You put players in your CB spot, not just athletes.

Right now he only plays special teams and we are better when hes in. He can tackle, hes not afraid of contact, and he can track the ball. But, if you ask me we are wasting his talents. Im not saying we should be using this guy full time at RB but we should be creating packages for him. Look around the league.

Danny Woodhead
    Darren sproles
    Percy harvin
    Randoll Cobb
    Dexter Mccluster

Some of these guys are exceptional and Taiwan might never be in the same class as some of these guys but 1 things for sure. Non of these guys are bigger then Taiwan. Most of these guys play in special packages. The coaches design plays to their strengths and don't put them in situations that expose their weaknesses.

There is no reason we can't use him in some type of bubble screens out of the slot or back field, run sweep, go off tackle, and once in awhile draw plays. There is no excuse for it. We all know that Taiwan is raw. But you still need to develop the man. Thats what most people call developing your players for the future. He is young and he is happy to be here. Give him a few years in the weight room and he might be a real terror on the field. Sadly with this current staff we will never know.
    to add to this, I think he would be great in a 2min offense. The same way San Diego used Sproles. Knapp has no idea how to use our talent on the roster, its really sad cause I can guarantee you if Taiwan was on another team they would find a way to get this guy in space.
    UptownXguy3 and Rainman56 like this.

UptownXguy3 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Danny Woodhead
    Darren sproles
    Percy harvin
    Randoll Cobb
    Dexter Mccluster

Problem is Knapp is running the offense.

Why is Pryor not getting a start? Season is over...You can never tell who's a baller or who sucks by practice alone. Let the Kid start a whole game and see what we have in him. Knapp's playbook is horrible but if Pryor is a baller we will see it during a span of 4 qtrs.
    lix333 and Artois like this.

kultan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Danny Woodhead
    Darren sproles
    Percy harvin
    Randoll Cobb
    Dexter Mccluster

Good point but what has he done in practice to win over coaches? Give him a few years in the weight room? NAh. We don't need projects now we need people who can contribute. The guy can't crack the lineup. We'd rather start a FB over him when our first 2 RB's went down. What does that tell you?

If he is getting beat with our sorry pass rush what will he do against real NFL players? If he's coughing it up in practice what will he do in a game?

I don't know but I'm pretty sure none of those players you mentioned cough the ball up or are bad in protection. Also Danny Woodhead is also seeing less playing time now with the emergence of their RB.

It would be nice to have him in packages like you said. That would give teams more to prepare for. As it stands we are easy to prepare for now. Stuff the run. Hit the QB. Go home with a win. Sometimes those are the breaks in the NFL. When you DO get your shot. Knock it out the park. It may be the last one you have.
    Artois likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post
    So was Chris Johnson, howd that translate to the NFL?
    Nobody ever said there was anything wrong with being fast. But it just ain't enough. I liked the Taiwon pick. It was later rounds, but he didn't translate it to the NFL. Move on. And you know there is a difference between Jones and Johnson, Johnson had over 3000 rushing yards his first two years, Taiwon has done nothing except in practice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information