Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Jake Long a free agent

Raiderrayrae is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Jake Long a free agent

wow, im surprised Miami didnt lock him up but apparently he is heading into the free agent market this offseason. Now if RM could swing a deal to get Long and mover JV to right tackle would go a long way in solidifying this line. Either move Wiz2 back to guard or find another center and guard. I wish they give Bergstrom more PT so we can see what we got. They need to cut the loser they got from the Texans, no wonder they let him walk he is garbage.
    UptownXguy3 likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Two big-time Dolphin fans in my family, and another that's a close friend.

To a man, they thought that Jake Long has regressed over the past couple of seasons.

But Veldheer is not our next great Raiders LT, I sense Long would be an upgrade.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

r8erray is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    With what cap room?
    Chewy316 likes this.

Hall of Famer
    He can still get a contract. I don't know enough about the guy. Maybe there's something wrong with him... injury-wise or psychologically?

Silver Sabbath is offline Banned
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post
    Two big-time Dolphin fans in my family, and another that's a close friend.

To a man, they thought that Jake Long has regressed over the past couple of seasons.

But Veldheer is not our next great Raiders LT, I sense Long would be an upgrade.
    I don't. Veldheer has way better feet and he isn't constantly nursing injuries.
    RaiderFootball likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Long is a definite upgrade! We might get a discount seeing he's coming off an injury, but i would be happy with his signing if it happened.
    Raidermofojeff likes this.

Pro Bowler
    I wish they give Bergstrom more PT so we can see what we got. They need to cut the loser they got from the Texans, no wonder they let him walk he is garbage.[/QUOTE]

Yes, get his azz out of town. I can't say that move of RM, gave me any confidence in his eye for talent.
    As far as Jake long, I would rather get a young guy with less wear and tear. I thing Longs best football is behind him. I would hate to see another Seymour scenario.
    Like the Patriots say, better to let a player go one year early, than keep him two years too long, or more!

Hall of Famer
    Frank Pollack is a garbage line coach. Wasn't it last year that a lot of people were considering Veldheer one of the rising stars at left tackle based on his consistent performances.

Imo we need a LG. Switch Cooper back to RG where he is a more consistent linemen. RT is probably the next upgrade we need to make. We cannot keep shuffling the OL. It didnt work this season(maybe because of horrible coaching). Leave Veldheer where he is at. He is a bargain at LT and consistent. Where the hell is Reggie's draft pick at? Bergstrom hasnt done crap. That was our first pick in the draft this season. Why hasnt he played? I know he can at worst he can take a spot on the Right side. Now we wont know if we should draft OL because he hasnt gotten any playing time.
    Naphtali likes this.
    Give Me Production Over Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by OWShaddock View Post
    ...Success earns you the benefit of the doubt. Failure just earns you doubt.....

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFootball View Post
    That was our first pick in the draft this season. Why hasnt he played? I know he can at worst he can take a spot on the Right side. Now we wont know if we should draft OL because he hasnt gotten any playing time.
    No way Bergstrom's better than either Barnes or Brisiel -- he's still a project. The last two snaps that I've seen him play (haven't had a chance to watch Sunday's game yet as I was on a plane), his man got to Palmer pretty quickly. Based on what I've seen, LG is the question that the Raiders most need to answer on the line along with finding a TE who can lay down a block on a running play.

Hall of Famer
    I think we need to stop going through other teams' garbage

If this team ever wants to win consistently, they need to cultivate their own identity and mold their own leaders for FAs to want to come in and follow

If the Raiders were one or two players away from having a solid O line and wanted to bring in Long on a 1 year contract to see how he holds up health wise, I could see that. However, seeing as how Long isn't going to go for a 1 year deal with a team that has been in the toilet for the past 10 years, this wouldn't make any sense. Teams like the Pats, Ravens, Packers and other teams that are consistently vying for the playoffs or at the very least have stable franchises would be able to swing the 1 year deals for players like him. The Raiders aren't there yet and won't be for quite awhile

Let RM get rid of the garbage players with their horrible contracts, pick up inexpensive FAs like Wheeler in the offseason and start drafting for starters and depth to get out from the bad decision making that has crippled this franchise for years. Once RM is able to get out from under Al's blunders, the Raiders will finally have a chance to become a team we can all be proud to pay to see. We can't expect to keep making the same mistakes by thinking there's a quick fix and being disappointed in the results. RM knows this and will not run the franchise like it has been in the past.
    r8derd likes this.

Jmac89 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Jake Long a free agent

He was the first overall player selected in the '08 draft he's been great but he's been injured a lot might not be the same player he once was I pass.

Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    what are you guys talking about, Veldheer and Wiz on the leftside will be a force for years....oh wait that was last year's play

Anyway Jake Long isn't coming here....no matter the money, thats for sure...on a side note I think agents will take advantage of the fact that they paid Briesel so much for his lousy performance....any body who would even consider oakland would be thinking $$

Ancyent Fathoms is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    You don't go from over the cap, subsequently bailing water to stay afloat, then turn right around the next year and blow your wad on the highest priced free agent.

Who, incidentally, has his cost elevated due to his name recognition.

From roto:
    A team source tells the Miami Herald Dolphins LT Jake Long (triceps) is "probably" out for the season.

According to the source, it would "be a surprise to the team if he's not." Official word could come as early as Monday afternoon. If Long is indeed done for the season, it's possible he's played his final game as a Dolphin. The former No. 1 overall pick has graded out as just the 46th best tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings, and is growing increasingly injury prone. Dec 3 - 1:32 PM
    Jake Long - Miami Dolphins - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
    __

This is what PFF says:
    Jake Long, Miami Dolphins

After being a dominant performer for the first four years of his career, after he was drafted with the first overall pick in 2008, Long has looked very ordinary so far this season.

Playing every single offensive snap, Long has an overall grade of -2.0, including a putrid -5.5 performance this past week against the Colts. Further hurting his value, the Dolphins have signaled that they likely intend to let him go, especially after drafting Jonathan Martin, who primarily played left tackle at Stanford.

Long wants to get paid like Joe Thomas, and will likely get a nice contract after his fine play for the past four years. The big question is will teams hesitate if he continues to underperform down the stretch?
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...g-their-value/
    __

This is what Adam Schefter says:
    Jake Long tag would be over $15M

For the second straight year, a former No. 1 overall pick is going to be so pricey to his franchise that he could wind up leaving the team.

Because Long's salary-cap number this season is higher than the franchise number for offensive linemen, the Dolphins would have to franchise him at 120 percent of this year's salary. Thus, his franchise tag would be $15,365,952, according to league sources.

Long suffered a triceps injury in Sunday's loss to the Patriots. Tests will be conducted to see how long he will be out.

Even so, Long has become a less dominant blocker as his injuries accumulate. He was slowed by an ankle injury as a rookie and hurt his shoulder in 2010. Last year he battled back trouble, then missed the final game with a torn right biceps. He missed practice time this season because of a right knee injury.
    Tag for Jake Long might be too pricey for Miami Dolphins - ESPN
    __

I don't get the fascination with trying to replace or move / demote Veldheer. Do you people actually watch the game?

What folks should worry about concerning JV is his impending 2014 free agency. JV is damn solid. You try and hold onto good players.

Just for reference, what PFF says about Veldheer:
    while Oakland’s Jared Veldheer has made huge strides in his third season. Thomas is first in the league with a Pass Blocking Efficiency of 97.8 while Veldheer ranks 15th at 96.0.
    __

The Pass Blocking Efficiency (11/28/2012)
    PFF:

But for the former first overall pick from the same draft class? Well Jake Long (21st) is raising questions with his performance right now
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ng-efficiency/

^ you'll notice two additional, potential free agents for 2013 in Branden Albert and Sebastian Vollmer.

More free agency here
    __

Long's rookie contract:

4/22/2008: Signed a five-year, $57.75 million contract. The deal includes $30 million guaranteed. Year six voided based on rookie-year playing time.

2012: $11.2 million
    2013: Free Agent
    __

For reference, Thomas' recent contract:

8/22/2011: Signed an eight-year, $92 million contract. The deal contains $44 million guaranteed.

There is a $200,000 workout bonus in each year of 2012-18 and a $1 million roster bonus in each year of 2016-18.

2012: $10.5 million
    2013: $10 million
    2014: $10.9 million
    2015: $8.8 million
    2016: $8.3 million
    17-18: $8.8 million
    2019: Free Agent
    __

So everyone cool with dropping 92-ish million?

Not me.
    Hungary87 and DmacMVP like this.

Ancyent Fathoms is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    As for Brisiel, this is what PFF said last year, prior to free agency (2/22/2012):
    7) Mike Brisiel, Houston Texans

Age as of 1st September, 2012: 29

2011 Grade: -5.8

Key Stat: Arian Foster and Ben Tate averaged 5.9 yards per carry off right guard this season.

Behind the Numbers: If you ever play in a zone scheme as an offensive lineman, public and media perception seemingly locks you permanently in to that scheme and–with Brisiel being outplayed by his injury replacement, Antoine Caldwell–he will likely be looking to those teams as a landing spot if he doesn’t stay to fight for his job in Houston.

The combined efforts of Caldwell and Brisiel saw Texans’ running backs pick up 5.5 yards per carry (fifth-best in the league) off right guard this season, but it’s fair to say the backs played their part in that. Brisiel’s performance in the playoffs will raise some eyebrows, particularly in the Texans’ defeat in Baltimore where he struggled with the Ravens’ defense, giving up four tackles at or close to the line of scrimmage.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...agents-guards/

JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancyent Fathoms View Post
    You don't go from over the cap, subsequently bailing water to stay afloat, then turn right around the next year and blow your wad on the highest priced free agent.

Who, incidentally, has his cost elevated do to his name recognition.

From roto:

Jake Long - Miami Dolphins - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
    __

This is what PFF says:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...g-their-value/
    __

This is what Adam Schefter says:

Tag for Jake Long might be too pricey for Miami Dolphins - ESPN
    __

I don't get the fascination with trying to replace or move / demote Veldheer. Do you people actually watch the game?

What folks should worry about concerning JV is his impending 2014 free agency. JV is damn solid. You try and hold onto good players.

Just for reference, what PFF says about Veldheer:

__

The Pass Blocking Efficiency (11/28/2012)
    PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ng-efficiency/

^ you'll notice two additional, potential free agents for 2013 in Branden Albert and Sebastian Vollmer.

More free agency here
    __

Long's rookie contract:

4/22/2008: Signed a five-year, $57.75 million contract. The deal includes $30 million guaranteed. Year six voided based on rookie-year playing time.

2012: $11.2 million
    2013: Free Agent
    __

For reference, Thomas' recent contract:

8/22/2011: Signed an eight-year, $92 million contract. The deal contains $44 million guaranteed.

There is a $200,000 workout bonus in each year of 2012-18 and a $1 million roster bonus in each year of 2016-18.

2012: $10.5 million
    2013: $10 million
    2014: $10.9 million
    2015: $8.8 million
    2016: $8.3 million
    2017-18: $8.8 million
    2019: Free Agent
    __

So everyone cool with dropping 92-ish million?

Not me.
    At some point in the season some posters started down on Veldheer and wanted to move him to RT. This all started because our running game went down the drain and Veldheer got beat in some games for sacks. Player "regression" blamed on the "new regime" namely Greg Knapp and Pollack. That's the history. Most of us know, and I would say 90% know, we are not getting any big names in FA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information