Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Raiders notes: Why no field goal at end?

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board

Raiders notes: Why no field goal at end?

LINK: Raiders notes: Why no field goal at end?

I never got to see the game only in spurts on NFL Redzone, but listened to the whole game with Papa calling, and he and coach Flores thought the same.. why not kick a FG and try for a on side kick, then tie the game??

I was glad however cause i have Palmer as my fantasy QB, ... made me wonder if coach Allen did to lol

OAKLAND -- As the Raiders drove into Cleveland territory late in the fourth quarter Sunday, they needed 10 points to tie the game. So with no timeouts remaining, just under a minute left in regulation and the Raiders in field-goal range for Sebastian Janikowski, why didn't Oakland just kick a field goal?
    After all, the Raiders were going to have to attempt an onside kick on the ensuing kickoff no matter what kind of score they got, and with time running out, they needed to score quickly.

But coach Dennis Allen decided to keep going for that elusive touchdown, and while Carson Palmer did hit Brandon Myers for a 17-yard touchdown pass, there was only one second left to play. Of course, there was no time to attempt an onside kick, recover it and then take a shot at the end zone. Ballgame, Browns 20, Raiders 17.

[PAUL G'S INSTANT REPLAY: Browns 20, Raiders 17]

So, did Allen contemplate having Janikowski attempt a field goal, especially when the Raiders were at the Browns' 24-yard line with a minute to play?

"Yeah, we thought about it," Allen said. "But we were down there and I was trying to get seven points there. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time on the clock to be able to execute an onside kick and still have an opportunity."

Your eyes and/or ears were not deceiving you -- receiver Denarius Moore was indeed benched in the second half after having another rough game and dropping at least two passes. As was cornerback Ron Bartell earlier in the game.

In fact, Moore was targeted by Palmer eight times but only caught two passes, for 31 yards.

"He dropped a couple balls and we have to make plays when we get those opportunities," Allen said. "Both of those guys, they understand that. It wasn't from a lack of effort, but we've got to make the plays when we get an opportunity."

Moore does not seem able to get separation from defensive backs and could still be struggling from a strained hamstring suffered in June.

Allen said he expected both Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson to play Thursday night against Denver. The running backs have both been out since suffering high ankle sprains on Nov. 4.

"We tested them out (Sunday)," Allen said. "They just weren't quite ready to go."

Omar Gaither, signed by the Raiders on Nov. 14, started at middle linebacker in place of the suspended Rolando McClain and was unofficially credited with two tackles.

"I made a few mistakes (with) the fact that I hadn't played in a while, period, and the fact that I was in the middle," he said. "Felt a second slow in the first half, but second half rolled around and I felt a lot more comfortable. How I played? I don't know. You'll have to ask the coaches."

It was Gaither's first start since Nov. 20, 2011, when he played for Carolina.
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Silver Sabbath is offline Banned
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi18 View Post
    LINK: Raiders notes: Why no field goal at end?

I never got to see the game only in spurts on NFL Redzone, but listened to the whole game with Papa calling, and he and coach Flores thought the same.. why not kick a FG and try for a on side kick, then tie the game??

I was glad however cause i have Palmer as my fantasy QB, ... made me wonder if coach Allen did to lol
    I don't know that there isn't a better FANTASY QB option out there.

Hall of Famer
    Allen definitely made a mistake here no matter how he wants to spin it. With Janikowski's leg, the Raiders could have tried the field goal with around a minute of time left on the clock. If they recover the on-side kick, they would have had time to make it interesting. Not sure what he was thinking...
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sabbath View Post
    I don't know that there isn't a better FANTASY QB option out there.
    sure is but look at it this way i got rodgers,brees, and palmer starting on different teams Palmer outscored both of them easly this week and has been real good with the cincy game being the exception. Now if he could just finish a game on the line drive with a TD instead of a pick i would have it all

HC Raider Fan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    TD at least was a tie on the spread!

RaidersOwnsYou is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    The way I see it here is: Damn if you do, Damn if you don't

Raiders Baby! is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I was wondering the same thing. Glad we punched the TD in, but the time management was poor here and if we were at all competitive I would've been very upset with this decision. Also, what was with the dinks and dunks on the last drive? If we had timeouts, fine, but it looked like we were marching with the intent of scoring the TD and still losing. Fine with me, though, I want to see what Reggie can do with a top 5 and the Browns are very much in the competition for one of those slots.

Hall of Famer
    So, did Allen contemplate having Janikowski attempt a field goal, especially when the Raiders were at the Browns' 24-yard line with a minute to play?

"Yeah, we thought about it," Allen said. "But we were down there and I was trying to get seven points there. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time on the clock to be able to execute an onside kick and still have an opportunity."

way to clear up the reasoning behind going for the TD DA! getting him to answer questions is like asking a 5 year old why the sky is blue! "Well it's blue because its the sky you see!"

Realistically though the way things have been going we would've had about as much chance getting the onside kick as I did winning the powerball the other day. LOL

IronRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Who cares??? They lost!!!

Hall of Famer
    Pretty simple really. A FG doesn't show that the team is competing, it is somewhat conceding the defeat. The TD shows you're still fighting but the clock management showed you're clueless. That sequence really left me scratching my head. If you're gonna go for the TD in the hopes of recovering the onside kick for a possible game tying FG then don't eat so much clock. This showed me that DA's heart was in the right place but he just doesn't know what he's doing yet. By the time the did finally score the TD, there was no point to it. Even if they had recovered the onside kick, they would have no time to even attempt a FG. Poor, poor game and clock management.

HOFBoundBrown is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I blame the loss on Jano for missing the 61 yarder earlier in the game.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRaider View Post
    Who cares??? They lost!!!
    well you posted, so you either care, or you care not to care
    Rainman56 likes this.
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    Allen definitely made a mistake here no matter how he wants to spin it. With Janikowski's leg, the Raiders could have tried the field goal with around a minute of time left on the clock. If they recover the on-side kick, they would have had time to make it interesting. Not sure what he was thinking...

Like other times he Wasn't thinking......Just another nail in the Allen coffin as far as I am concerned. I was willing to give him a chance. Then as the L's piled up I wanted him gone if replaced by a Payton or Gruden. Now I am getting to the point I just want him and that cluster F coaching staff he assembled gone. It was a long shot but the only way to win is kick the FG on 4th and 1 (Think it was around 43 yarder). Then recover the on sides kick and have 45 seconds to score the TD. The way Allen chose gave the team no chance. I am wondering if he did it this way just to have the score look better......
    Dark Gable likes this.
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......
    “We’re not very good … We suck. I am embarrassed.” Charles Woodson....
    Counting the days until this regime is gone....

SF_Raider_Fan is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    That be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordAlDavis View Post
    The way Allen chose gave the team no chance. I am wondering if he did it this way just to have the score look better......

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    It's just one among many things that the coaching staff have gotten wrong. It was a very long shot but still, stranger things have happened. That's not the point anyway. The point is that it was symptomatic of how this thing's gone all season; little common sense things that don't get done or are ignored that add up to an incompetent football team. It was weird. It was just something that any coaching staff would have done.

Oh well. The Donks are up Thursday, I won't hold my breath for a masterful game plan or inspired strategy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information