Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Raiders notes: Why no field goal at end?

delitax is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRaider View Post
    Who cares??? They lost!!!
    way to not get the point at all.

Hall of Famer
    Its funny. As I was watching the game, I was thinking the same thing about opting for the FG while some time remained. Common sense said to take the FG and give yourself a chance. However, having seen this team play now and the circumstances, I really didn't care that they went for the TD and leave no time. I really think it would be more of a hot button issue if the team was competing for something other than its own self confidence.

For the sake of firing up an argument, how does this rate to Hue's 27-14 blunder against Detroit last year?
    Mr. Auburn Tiger....turned Oakland Raider backup plan after our savior turned out to be what we should have expected him to be.

Jason "Check Down" Campbell

SLO Raider is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    No question it was the wrong decision. Let's think about this - he is a professional coach and I was even able to make my non-football watching wife understand he was making a mistake.

Start the last drive with the intention of scoring a TD - perfect we all thought that. Problem is, after every play, your thinking has to be dynamic and change with the circumstance. By the time there was 45 or 30 seconds left you have to be able to change your mindset to give yourself a chance.

I read a reply that mentioned the Power Ball lottery. If you had ten bucks you were going to spend on Power Ball, drove to the store to get the tickets at 11:45 PM with midnight being the deadline. You get there and find out you grabbed a $1 bill instead of your $10. Do you drive 20 minutes back and forth to get the $10, knowing you will not have time, or adjust and just get one ticket to give yourself a chance?

I like Allen - but he blew it with that call. You have to give yourself a chance.

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pete_gas21 View Post
    Its funny. As I was watching the game, I was thinking the same thing about opting for the FG while some time remained. Common sense said to take the FG and give yourself a chance. However, having seen this team play now and the circumstances, I really didn't care that they went for the TD and leave no time. I really think it would be more of a hot button issue if the team was competing for something other than its own self confidence.

For the sake of firing up an argument, how does this rate to Hue's 27-14 blunder against Detroit last year?
    It's a lot worse. We went up on Detroit by 13 points with 5 minutes left in the game. How likely was it that the defense would manage to give up two TDs in that span of time, including a 95 yard TD drive with under two minutes? It was easy to overlook. Besides, there's no guarantee we make the two point conversion and there's no guarantee we win it in OT. In yesterday's case while winning was a longshot, there was no question about what should have been done. It was the only thing to do. But we didn't.

I don't think it's a horrible crime, just another example of Dennis Allen seeming to be unaware of what needs to be done.
    Naphtali likes this.

TPeezy2 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I said the same thing in the game thread. Raiders never gave themselves a chance to tie the game. Instead, they chose to go for a TD with 1 second left in the game rather than kicking a FG and going for the onside kick earlier.

Brilliant coaching!!!

sa_dick_steele is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Man this is sooo dumb.

I couldn't begin to imagine how much people would have been all over Allen if he did this and it failed. He would be blasted all over the place on here. You go for the touchdown first, flat out. You get the TD first then if you recover the on-sides kick you have a chance to win or tie. Why on earth would he play for the tie? That's like the dreaded prevent defense, playing to "not" lose. Such a pointless reason to bash the coach. Bash the fact that they abandoned to run game, or that they didn't play TP (although that would be dumb to considering it was at most a 10 point lead for the Browns.)
    losdogdagreat likes this.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_dick_steele View Post
    Man this is sooo dumb.

I couldn't begin to imagine how much people would have been all over Allen if he did this and it failed. He would be blasted all over the place on here. You go for the touchdown first, flat out. You get the TD first then if you recover the on-sides kick you have a chance to win or tie. Why on earth would he play for the tie? That's like the dreaded prevent defense, playing to "not" lose. Such a pointless reason to bash the coach. Bash the fact that they abandoned to run game, or that they didn't play TP (although that would be dumb to considering it was at most a 10 point lead for the Browns.)
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi18 View Post
    lol! I've always liked you Jimi!
    Jimi18 likes this.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    lol! I've always liked you Jimi!
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

Hall of Famer
    Man this is sooo dumb.

Not this^^^^^
    Naphtali likes this.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    Not this^^^^^
    Hey! Thanks for the well thought out reply!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi18 View Post

Hall of Famer
    Hey! Thanks for the well thought out reply!
    Read my earliest post on this thread and you might understand where I'm coming from. I'm too tired to restate it.
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

JUSTWINBABY9111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    If I had not seen 10 years of bum players I would actually care more about the little mistakes. You know what? I don't want any of these players on my team! I rather watch a young Allen develop, than these mother f*ckers, I believe in him more. And he's been a Raider less than a season. F*ck'm. You guys can cheer for bums to succeed led by Gruden. I want them all out, except the Reece type guys. They make me sick, and I have had enough of THEIR **** for 10 years. Just my opinion.

danax is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Knapp said in his press conference today he discussed the FG scenario by headset with DA and Knapp told him he wanted to go for the TD first, since they were around the 20, expecting to get it done with enough time to kick an onsides, because then they would only have to get to the Brown's 40 for Jano to try to tie it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information