Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Analyzing the Coaching Situation Realistically

TheDoctor is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Analyzing the Coaching Situation Realistically

This is a very real and pressing topic for us to discuss. I am neither one to say we must keep Dennis Allen at the helm for next season and I am not a fantasizer who says he must go and be replaced with Gruden, Cowher, Dungy etc. However this is a huge decision that needs to be made.

Allen has shown little to nothing as head coach of the team. He has been devoid of great talent, however there are still considerable pieces on this team who have under produced this season, compared to last season. The team does not appear to be motivated and playing for the coach. We have lost our identity on both sides of the ball and as a team in general. Allen allows Knapp to continually put in place his terrible offensive scheme. The most worrying thing for me however, is the defense. Allen was meant to be the man who turned around the Denver Broncos defense. Tarver was meant to be his assistant who helped him in doing the same for the Raiders defense which was atrocious last season. However if anything regression has occurred and our players look lost and unmotivated the majority of the time. If regression has occurred from a Bresnahan defense, you know you are in trouble. This coach was meant to make that side look vastly different, in a positive way.

On the other hand, he has had only one season at the helm. It is ideal to give him a chance to prove himself with more talent however that is a very long term plan to implement which may not end up paying off. He was without two high picks this past draft and restrictions on the cap were tight. People have to remember not to make assumptions with the future. Fans always claimed, "We'll be successful once Al gives up the reigns". That is not true at all. Fans would be silly to say similar things like "Putting in a new coach will improve us dramatically." However the same can be said for those who say, "Allen needs two to three more years to prove himself." If Allen is to remain as head coach, both Knapp and Tarver need to be removed immediately and many of the overpriced players will need to be weeded out.

In my opinion, if we continue to show what we have been showing in the last few games, Allen doesn't deserve another year. A good coach can motivate players to be respectable, despite a lack of talent. The Raiders under Allen has been a total embarrassment, and I feel the problem is more deeply-rooted than just talent alone. Schemes, but more importantly the response of the players, is what I am worried about. What does everyone else think?

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Allen deserves at least one more year. This offseason, Reggie can complete the process of cutting the check-cashers (I'm looking at YOU, Seymour and Kelly and McChump and DMac) and filling the roster with guys who will go out there and COMPETE every Sunday. Now if we're still getting blown out with listless performances a year from now, then yes, we consider a change at HC. But Allen needs to get that second year.

As for Steve Hoffman, Jason Tarver and every defensive assistant not named Johnny Holland? GOODBYE.

As for Frank Pollack and Ted Gilmore? SEEYA. Greg Knapp stays only if we can't find someone better (and I'm betting we can).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDuck View Post
    Allen deserves at least one more year. This offseason, Reggie can complete the process of cutting the check-cashers (I'm looking at YOU, Seymour and Kelly and McChump and DMac) and filling the roster with guys who will go out there and COMPETE every Sunday. Now if we're still getting blown out with listless performances a year from now, then yes, we consider a change at HC. But Allen needs to get that second year.

As for Steve Hoffman, Jason Tarver and every defensive assistant not named Johnny Holland? GOODBYE.

As for Frank Pollack and Ted Gilmore? SEEYA. Greg Knapp stays only if we can't find someone better (and I'm betting we can).
    Word
    RaiderDuck likes this.
    My next door neighbor is a Raider fan my 2 neighbors across from me are Raider fans. A Lion fan down the street hung up a Detriot Lions flag outside his house a week ago.
    My neighbors and I hung up Raider Flags today and now it seems like the Lions fan took his down, huh I wonder why he did that?

Hall of Famer

Why waste another year with this bum?
    Ro_34, Dark Gable, r8derd and 2 others like this.

Commit2Excel is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    A good leader is someone who has the ability to choose good people to help bring his vision to reality, and then has the ability to inspire them to greatness. Allen has shown none of these traits. Poor choices for assistant coaches and uninspired leadership will add up to more L's than W's. That is what we have seen thusfar with Dennis Allen. It matters not how intelligent he is, or how smart he is at X's and O's. A leader who cannot inspire others is not a leader at all.

The jury may still be out on Allen's fate, but the talent on this roster is better than 3 wins out of 12 tries. Mr. Davis and Reggie should be able to see the same thing. This organization with its proud history certainly deserves better than what has been delivered so far this season. That is all on the coaches and Reggie.

If I was Mark Davis, Allen would need to present his plan for the next 4 games as well as the draft and next year. Mark and Reggie would assess and then make a decision to either fire or retain Allen's services. At the same time I would be putting Reggie on notice that his days will also be numbered if the team performance is not improved significantly. Reggie hired Allen and that brings into question Reggie's judgment.

It is one BIG mess right now that is for sure!
    Ro_34, Dark Gable, Jave and 1 others like this.

weber_2 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I doubt they watch tape and talk about the teams struggles. They just bust gay gang bang
    Trains on each other with McKenzie as the conductor
    Ro_34 and nocrabshere like this.

Hall of Famer

^^^this!
    RaiderDuck likes this.

Diamabel is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    We fired a coach that actually did not have a losing record for the first time in YEARS and won every game against every AFC West opponent. When was the last time we had a coach for more then 2 seasons, Gruden? We fire a third head coach in three years, we have no chance of getting a head coach (if we even do now) that has any other prospects. Instead we hire (and then probably fire) some random coach and hope something clicks.

UptownXguy3 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Realistically, Hue had this team in the lead by halftime in 8 games, tied for two games, within a FG in 2 more games...that leaves us 4 games where we were down by a TD or more in 2011 ....we were also in the lead or tied or within a fg in plenty of games in 2010. We were not this terrible.

No team is going to take The Raiders seriously when they can't score in the first half...They are thinking it's a easy practice game by half time. Thank you Knapp.
    Ro_34, Dark Gable and OnTheeRize like this.

Metallica0688 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamabel View Post
    We fired a coach that actually did not have a losing record for the first time in YEARS and won every game against every AFC West opponent. When was the last time we had a coach for more then 2 seasons, Gruden? We fire a third head coach in three years, we have no chance of getting a head coach (if we even do now) that has any other prospects. Instead we hire (and then probably fire) some random coach and hope something clicks.

Well why don't you go ask Al(R.I.P) why he fired Cable . Dude swept the AFC West and yet still got shown the door .
    Hue pissed and moaned to get more power as a head coach because he went 8-8 in his rookie season .
    That he finished 1-4 to close out the season .
    That he threw his entire staff and players under the bus in his post game speech to the press .

Al was alive he would've fired him right then and there on the spot .
    Al would've left him be maybe for the coaches thrown under the bus by Hue .
    But he went and did what Al always side with and that is the players . That was a big No NO for Al .

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by twoutrally View Post
    Why waste another year with this bum?
    Because if we fire him now, coaching candidates will still look at the Raider HC position as a sh*tty job.
    RaiderDuck likes this.

TheDoctor is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallica0688 View Post
    Hue pissed and moaned to get more power as a head coach because he went 8-8 in his rookie season .
    That he finished 1-4 to close out the season .
    That he threw his entire staff and players under the bus in his post game speech to the press .
    I always find it odd when people use these statistics to put Hue out as a terrible coach. We are 0-5 in the last 5 weeks at a combined score of 189-96. We have only really beaten one half decent team in the Steelers with the other wins coming against horrendous teams in the Chiefs and Jaguars.

I don't know if it is just me but I thought it was warranted for Hue to rip into the players, their endeavor and discipline was embarrassing in that stretch and Hue did not take a bar of it.

I think we keep Allen for next year unless a good candidate presents itself.

RaiderDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by weber_2 View Post
    I doubt they watch tape and talk about the teams struggles. They just bust gay gang bang
    Trains on each other with McKenzie as the conductor
    Thank you. That's very helpful.

Phi
    Phi is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Dennis Allen has never been a head coach anywhere.
    This is his year to prove himself as a capable coach, so far he hasn't. Is his assistants to blame? Sure, but HE brought them in.
    Ro_34 and Nexus like this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    This is a very real and pressing topic for us to discuss. I am neither one to say we must keep Dennis Allen at the helm for next season and I am not a fantasizer who says he must go and be replaced with Gruden, Cowher, Dungy etc. However this is a huge decision that needs to be made.

Allen has shown little to nothing as head coach of the team. He has been devoid of great talent, however there are still considerable pieces on this team who have under produced this season, compared to last season. The team does not appear to be motivated and playing for the coach. We have lost our identity on both sides of the ball and as a team in general. Allen allows Knapp to continually put in place his terrible offensive scheme. The most worrying thing for me however, is the defense. Allen was meant to be the man who turned around the Denver Broncos defense. Tarver was meant to be his assistant who helped him in doing the same for the Raiders defense which was atrocious last season. However if anything regression has occurred and our players look lost and unmotivated the majority of the time. If regression has occurred from a Bresnahan defense, you know you are in trouble. This coach was meant to make that side look vastly different, in a positive way.

On the other hand, he has had only one season at the helm. It is ideal to give him a chance to prove himself with more talent however that is a very long term plan to implement which may not end up paying off. He was without two high picks this past draft and restrictions on the cap were tight. People have to remember not to make assumptions with the future. Fans always claimed, "We'll be successful once Al gives up the reigns". That is not true at all. Fans would be silly to say similar things like "Putting in a new coach will improve us dramatically." However the same can be said for those who say, "Allen needs two to three more years to prove himself." If Allen is to remain as head coach, both Knapp and Tarver need to be removed immediately and many of the overpriced players will need to be weeded out.

In my opinion, if we continue to show what we have been showing in the last few games, Allen doesn't deserve another year. A good coach can motivate players to be respectable, despite a lack of talent. The Raiders under Allen has been a total embarrassment, and I feel the problem is more deeply-rooted than just talent alone. Schemes, but more importantly the response of the players, is what I am worried about. What does everyone else think?

Good post. But I want Mark Davis to open the checkbook and at least try for a Sean Payton or Gruden. At the very least a lot of the Raider assistant coaches need to be flushed......
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information