Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Terrelle Pryor use discussed by Oakland Raiders (NFL.com article)

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Terrelle Pryor use discussed by Oakland Raiders (NFL.com article)

Terrelle Pryor use discussed by Oakland Raiders - NFL.com

The Oakland Raiders have watched their Bay Area neighbors, the San Francisco 49ers, turn Colin Kaepernick loose to rave reviews.

Breer: A position of strength
    Colin Kaepernick is the latest to benefit from 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's knack for nurturing QBs, Albert Breer says. More ...
    There are least "discussions" about doing the same in Oakland with another second-year quarterback, Terrelle Pryor, according to coach Dennis Allen.

Steve Corkran of ContraCostaTimes.com reported Allen was vague Monday in describing what that might mean -- either under center or in a subpackage -- but the 3-8 Raiders are exploring their options.

"He's working to get better and he's working to improve," Allen said of Pryor. "I've seen improvement in Terrelle. He's gotten better as a quarterback. He's continued to work. I don't think any of us feel like he's the finished product, including himself, but he has worked to improve."

Pryor hasn't played in a game this season, or completed a regular-season pass in his NFL career, but he showed some promise in the preseason. Not enough, of course, to upstage Matt Leinart as Carson Palmer's backup.

Allen, who inherited Pryor and Palmer, would like to see what the younger of the two passers can bring to the table. The days of the long-term project quarterback are gone. Kaepernick and a fleet of rookies have proven that, and it's time for Pryor to make a case for himself, if the Raiders will let him.

Hall of Famer
    I don't want to risk our post-season hopes by putting in a ............oh, wait. Sure, let the kid play.

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Why not let him play we need to see If he has any talent. If he does we keep him, If not he can hit the street with the rest of these stiffs.

Hall of Famer
    Iím one of the bigger Palmer supporters here and I applaud the idea of playing Pryor.
    I donít understand why this has to be turned into a fight. No need to blast either player. I think Palmer is the better QB and is almost assuredly the presumed starter next year. We are officially eliminated from the playoffs and itís time to evaluate some talent. Letís see what Pryor brings to the table. He will never light it up in practice. Palmer will always outshine him in practice dropping back 3-5 steps and firing the ball with good timing into a tight window. Itís the intangibles he brings to the game that donít show up in practice that intrigue me. Letís see him in action. At worst we realize heís not an NFL QB and we move on. At best he proves he can compete, be a solid backup, maybe even start. I like Palmer but I certainly aint married to him.

Hall of Famer
    I've no side in this, but one recommendation. Before playing Prior for anything more than a few snaps when the game is over, it is probably a good idea to think through the various possible results of his play, and what it will mean for him and us.

1. He plays great - obvious a win on all sides.
    2. He plays mediocre - depends on the degree, you sort of think he got some experience but isn't ready.
    3. He looks like he has no clue what he is doing, has flawed mechanics, sometimes inaccurate, but runs well. Picks, sacks, bad day.

I don't know how Pryor will do, but #3 is certainly possible. If it happens it might be because (1) he sucks, (2) our line is not protecting well and you need lots of smarts and experience to survive behind it, (3) he hasn't had enough practice with this system. But if he really does suck in his first outing, then there will be lots calling for him to be cut, and it sure won't help his confidence any.

I think the guys who see him practice should decide on the likelihood of the outcomes and make the call.
    bleed4raiders likes this.

Pro Bowler
    IMO you have to see what you have in him. I agree with a previous comment that Palmer is pretty much going to be the starter next year. I think you get Pryor some first team snaps in practice, create a few special packages for him and then turn the reins over to him in a couple of games and just see what you have. Let him know that he will be the starter for the last 3 games of the season. At least you can have some tape on the guy and see what he truly has picked up. If nothing else it changes the enviornment around the locker room and could make things more exciting. Possibly puts a few more butts in seats at the stadium and maybe we win the last 3 of the season and he comes into camp next year confident that he can compete with Palmer for the starting job.
    bleed4raiders likes this.
    ďWe had a three-time All-MAC wideout, 6-foot-5, 210 pounds,Ē Azzanni said. ďMitchell just knocked the absolute piss out of him. I thought he killed him on the sideline. Thatís how hard he hit.Ē

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    Why not let him play we need to see If he has any talent. If he does we keep him, If not he can hit the street with the rest of these stiffs.
    Oh, he has plenty of talent. The question is can these coaches use that talent properly and get results?? Their track record thus far says NO!!
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

j_sizzle is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I disagree with some of you who say play Pryor eventhough Palmer will be the starter next yr.
    If Palmer is the starter next yr then don't play Pryor. If the RM plans on trading Palmer then by all means give Pryor the reigns. Although benching Palmer is debatable if you're gonna trade him, cause you want him to light it up and get more value for him

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    i cant see reggie paying 16 mil to a non-difference making QB
    AF1PIMPN likes this.

TFDRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Rookie
    I was on the Palmer side, but since it seems as if they're fighting for draft position, might as well let Pryor play. See if the kid has anything the future for the Raiders.

Hall of Famer
    BINGO
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by NoClapsPlease View Post
    This.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Palmer traded before the draft.

I like Palmer a lot, but he's just not worth the money he's scheduled to earn next season.

If we were a QB away from a good team then it's a different story.

I was against playing Pryor but fvck it, might as well. What have we got to lose?

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Of Hands View Post
    Oh, he has plenty of talent. The question is can these coaches use that talent properly and get results?? Their track record thus far says NO!!
    You know hands sometime you just need to STFU! How do you come up with some of this BS? Really man.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by english_raider View Post
    This.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Palmer traded before the draft.

I like Palmer a lot, but he's just not worth the money he's scheduled to earn next season.

If we were a QB away from a good team then it's a different story.

I was against playing Pryor but fvck it, might as well. What have we got to lose?
    Who would be dumb enough to take CP's contract off of our hands and what could we get for him?
    pantera55 and Pledge like this.

Venom0420 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    I don't see the logic in this, I'm sorry. Look, I want to see what Pryor has just like anyone else, but Palmer is obviously not the issue here.

If Palmer is benched, this means we have given up on him and he'll be moving on. I get it, he's due 16 million next year and Reggie is trying to downsize the team salary cap. I understand that's a big deal, but if you're doing that you're taking a risk with the most important position in the game.

I don't understand why we would start from scratch with the QB position, when it's clearly our only strength right now. And finding a good quarterback is so ****ing hard to do. Why not do something logical, like. . .oh I don't know, build the effin' team around Palmer? Look at Denver, it's doing wonders for them.

I understand Palmer is what, 32 or 33? We still have at least 3 or 4 solid years left in him.

Let Pryor ride the bench for the next couple of years, until Palmer goes down with an injury. That's the only logical way I can see this panning out for everyone involved.
    rhumbob and Pledge like this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information