Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Did anyone catch the Monday Presser with DA?

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by AirRaiders View Post
    Im saying McKenzie has done NOTHING in way of getting talent here and money isnt the only factor! You guys are making excuses for him good talent can be found with good scouting! ALL his acquisitions have been worse then what was there! Take the briesel money and FIND players! Those same A Davis players were 8-8 two years ina row and showing some young talent
    The team had 1.25 million to work with... if you can explain how they are supposed to find talent with that amount I'm all ears...
    "You can't Appoint, Hire, or Declare Leadership" ~ Sonny Barger

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

RiedersRaiders is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    The team had 1.25 million to work with... if you can explain how they are supposed to find talent with that amount I'm all ears...
    Easy, do what the Yankees do!!!!!!!!! LOL kidding.

Hall of Famer
    If the coaches spent half as much time in improving our players as posters on here do making excuses for the teams debauchery we might be able to win a few more games!
    Dark Gable likes this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by RiedersRaiders View Post
    Easy, do what the Yankees do!!!!!!!!! LOL kidding.
    maybe they can start the Raiders network...

"Al Davis thought all owners were dilettantes with a new toy. He said to me many times through the years that owners are often the problem with their franchises, that too many of them think they can run things when they cannot, and the teams that succeed are the ones where the owner hires the best people he can and turns the game over to them."

mike taylor is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
    Which begs another question: Why is it that we've often been in games up until halftime, but get torched in the second half? Nope, can't be incompetent coaching. It HAS TO be the lack of talent.
    Well since some here are in the locker room at half time, and know the coaches are making the adjustments needed to win since they have more credibility than the players, it has to be because we suck once the 15:00 and 3rd come up on the scoreboard... right?? Our lack of talent overtakes this team like a werewolf once the quarter starts.... only explanation.
    Dark Gable and pointi like this.

Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mike taylor View Post
    Well since some here are in the locker room at half time, and know the coaches are making the adjustments needed to win since they have more credibility than the players, it has to be because we suck once the 15:00 and 3rd come up on the scoreboard... right?? Our lack of talent overtakes this team like a werewolf once the quarter starts.... only explanation.
    If we could only find talent that can play all 60 minutes per game....nah, that's a fairy tale in itself. No other team's players can play for a full 60, so why should these? I mean, they're only professionals.

But seriously, if the best some people can do is say we can't bring in decent players is because of a lack of money, then I'm all for McKenzie going all "Invincible" on this team and start holding tryouts for anyone interested in playing. I'm sure we could find a few solid players willing to play their hearts out each and every week for $250,000/yr. when they're currently making $11.00/hr. rounding carts up at the Home Depot.

Shoot, Warner was discovered sacking groceries and on food stamps; Arian Foster and James Harrison, along with a slew of others (Marques Colston included, IINM) were undrafted. Show guys with some talent what awaits them in the NFL if they give it their all, and there's no way you don't find a few diamonds in the rough; former college players that just were never given a second look.

In essence, as a previous poster stated: A GMs job is to find talent, and that was (supposedly) what McKenzie did very well in GB. Willing to give him at least another 2 years, but aside from trimming a lot of fat, he really hasn't done a whole lot of other noteworthy stuff. You can't just say, "Hey, he got rid of a lot of bad contracts, he just didn't have a lot of money to give away, so we had to field a worthless team" and expect people to be alright with that.
    pointi and mike taylor like this.

Chairman of the Board
    If we could only find talent that can play all 60 minutes per game....nah, that's a fairy tale in itself. No other team's players can play for a full 60, so why should these? I mean, they're only professionals.

But seriously, if the best some people can do is say we can't bring in decent players is because of a lack of money, then I'm all for McKenzie going all "Invincible" on this team and start holding tryouts for anyone interested in playing. I'm sure we could find a few solid players willing to play their hearts out each and every week for $250,000/yr. when they're currently making $11.00/hr. rounding carts up at the Home Depot.

Shoot, Warner was discovered sacking groceries and on food stamps; Arian Foster and James Harrison, along with a slew of others (Marques Colston included, IINM) were undrafted. Show guys with some talent what awaits them in the NFL if they give it their all, and there's no way you don't find a few diamonds in the rough; former college players that just were never given a second look.

In essence, as a previous poster stated: A GMs job is to find talent, and that was (supposedly) what McKenzie did very well in GB. Willing to give him at least another 2 years, but aside from trimming a lot of fat, he really hasn't done a whole lot of other noteworthy stuff. You can't just say, "Hey, he got rid of a lot of bad contracts, he just didn't have a lot of money to give away, so we had to field a worthless team" and expect people to be alright with that.
    McKenzie did find some talent this year. Is it HOF talent? No but those are rare no matter where you look. Criner looks like he has some ability and we drafted him late. Streeter started week one and was an undrafted rookie. Wheeler is a solid player but he isnt a difference maker. When teams find those "difference makers" they stumble upon them by accident. There is no secret to finding impact players. You get lucky sometimes. But it isnt a regular occurance.

Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    McKenzie did find some talent this year. Is it HOF talent? No but those are rare no matter where you look. Criner looks like he has some ability and we drafted him late. Streeter started week one and was an undrafted rookie. Wheeler is a solid player but he isnt a difference maker. When teams find those "difference makers" they stumble upon them by accident. There is no secret to finding impact players. You get lucky sometimes. But it isnt a regular occurance.
    But that's the thing, MadBomber. Nobody's asking for HOF talent talent. It would be beyond stupid to expect HOF talent based on the money he had to spend. But this? THIS is the best he could come up with at certain positions?

This is the way I see it: When McKenzie got hired, he knew what he was getting himself into. He also had to have known that, based on his decision to bring in DA and DA's decision to bring in Knapp and Tarver, that certain players just were not going to cut it, either scheme or talent wise. If I'm him, I'm doing anything and everything I have to do to bring in any given 50 or 100 players for tryouts at positions he and his coaching staff had to have identified as extremely weak at their respected position.

That's where I believe some fans start dividing into one of two groups: The players are at fault or the coaches are at fault. I'm in the third group that believes it's a combination of the two, but it seems it's a small group. Either way, we're screwed big time. The problems get worse when a lot of us already know that, while certain players need to go (Smith, McClain, Branch, Giordano, and a lot of others), some refuse to acknowledge that DA, all things considered, has done nothing to have fans give him the benefit of the doubt. He's really done absolutely nothing. I mean, nobody on this coaching staff knew what Reece was capable of until about 2 weeks ago? Seriously?

When this, along with the bag full of vomit Oakland is currently referring to as the Raiders team, does what it does on the field week in and week out, it becomes more and more difficult to blame the lack of talent, while still expecting us to remain optimistic for next year if the coaching staff remains intact.
    mike taylor likes this.

mike taylor is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    That's where I believe some fans start dividing into one of two groups: The players are at fault or the coaches are at fault. I'm in the third group that believes it's a combination of the two, but it seems it's a small group. Either way, we're screwed big time. The problems get worse when a lot of us already know that, while certain players need to go (Smith, McClain, Branch, Giordano, and a lot of others), some refuse to acknowledge that DA, all things considered, has done nothing to have fans give him the benefit of the doubt. He's really done absolutely nothing. I mean, nobody on this coaching staff knew what Reece was capable of until about 2 weeks ago? Seriously?
    "I knew he was a weapon and I didn't know exactly how he was going to fit, or how he was going to run, but he's done an outstanding job," admitted Raiders rookie coach Dennis Allen. "As long as he continues to do the things he's doing, we're going to continue to give him opportunities."

And hue last week said he was the one who got Reece "started".... that's kinda scary.
    Sardonicus likes this.

AirRaiders is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Have I suggested he's picked up anyone that has made an impact? Where do you guys come up with this stuff? I was commenting on your point that good GM's find talent... unless you have capital you aren't getting sh*t...
    You keep talking about no cap space and no money to make moves that isnt the case! Didnt we sign briesel to a deal replacing a less expensive option? Or how about Branch did we sign him to a big money deal for an average safety? How about bartell and spencer werent chewka and dvd less expensive options? None of which worked or has been better then the previous options! If we are in cap hell as is said to be the case why not let branch walk and sign 3 or 4 mid level guys? The defense would be no worse!

Also, if your going to totally rebuild and have a terrible record changing schemes that dont fit the personnel! Why not totally blow the team up letting go seymour, kelly, palmer, branch and any other big contract repacing with minimum guys and taking the entire hit this year?

That way next year we would be out of cap hell and have pics! We would still suck but not have thr unfriendly cap issues.

Chairman of the Board
    You keep talking about no cap space and no money to make moves that isnt the case! Didnt we sign briesel to a deal replacing a less expensive option? Or how about Branch did we sign him to a big money deal for an average safety? How about bartell and spencer werent chewka and dvd less expensive options? None of which worked or has been better then the previous options! If we are in cap hell as is said to be the case why not let branch walk and sign 3 or 4 mid level guys? The defense would be no worse!

Also, if your going to totally rebuild and have a terrible record changing schemes that dont fit the personnel! Why not totally blow the team up letting go seymour, kelly, palmer, branch and any other big contract repacing with minimum guys and taking the entire hit this year?

That way next year we would be out of cap hell and have pics! We would still suck but not have thr unfriendly cap issues.
    It was the case... read this:

Oakland Raiders ($28,114,475-Dead Money; $124,105,427-Adjusted Cap) Reggie McKenzie, who was hired as general manager in January, inherited a mess because of the previous regime’s penchant for signing bad player-friendly contracts. The Raiders began the offseason with $145 million committed towards this season’s cap, which is $120.6 million, when they only had approximately $3 million of cap room to carryover from the 2011 season. In order to reduce their cap obligations by approximately $22 million to comply with cap rules, McKenzie restructured (Carson Palmer, Richard Seymour, etc.) and terminated contracts. Addressing the three-year, $31.5 million contract (with $20 million in guarantees) Stanford Routt received in 2011 before the lockout, which made him the NFL’s third highest paid cornerback (by average yearly salary), was at the top of McKenzie’s list.

Oakland compounded their problem after the lockout by restructuring Routt’s contract to create cap room in which two voidable years were added at $11.5 million each to help with the proration. With Routt’s 2012 base salary becoming fully guaranteed on February 10th, McKenzie released him despite his contract containing a $5 million fully guaranteed fifth day of the league year 2012 roster bonus without an offset. Most NFL contract guarantees contain language which allows a club to reduce the amount they owe a released player by the amount of his new deal with another club (an “offset”). Since Routt’s contract doesn’t have this language, he has been getting paid this year from both the Raiders and the Chiefs.

Routt counts $10,785,334 in dead money on Oakland’s cap. Without the restructuring, his dead money would only be $3,333,334. Routt made $15 million for the one season he played under this deal. Kamerion Wimbley is the other major dead money charge for the Raiders at $9.9 million. McKenzie attempted to renegotiate the five-year, $48.5 million contract Wimbley received last year, but didn’t have much leverage because $6.5 million of his 2012 base salary was fully guaranteed without an offset at signing. He released Wimbley on March 16th, a day before the remaining $4.5 million of his $11 million 2012 base salary, his $11 million 2013 base salary and $2 million of his 2014 base salary became fully guaranteed. Kevin Boss and John Henderson, who were also released, are receiving $2 million and $1.5 million payments, respectively, from the Raiders this year because of salary guarantees without offsets.

Hall of Famer
    It was the case... read this:

Oakland Raiders ($28,114,475-Dead Money; $124,105,427-Adjusted Cap) Reggie McKenzie, who was hired as general manager in January, inherited a mess because of the previous regime’s penchant for signing bad player-friendly contracts. The Raiders began the offseason with $145 million committed towards this season’s cap, which is $120.6 million, when they only had approximately $3 million of cap room to carryover from the 2011 season. In order to reduce their cap obligations by approximately $22 million to comply with cap rules, McKenzie restructured (Carson Palmer, Richard Seymour, etc.) and terminated contracts. Addressing the three-year, $31.5 million contract (with $20 million in guarantees) Stanford Routt received in 2011 before the lockout, which made him the NFL’s third highest paid cornerback (by average yearly salary), was at the top of McKenzie’s list.

Oakland compounded their problem after the lockout by restructuring Routt’s contract to create cap room in which two voidable years were added at $11.5 million each to help with the proration. With Routt’s 2012 base salary becoming fully guaranteed on February 10th, McKenzie released him despite his contract containing a $5 million fully guaranteed fifth day of the league year 2012 roster bonus without an offset. Most NFL contract guarantees contain language which allows a club to reduce the amount they owe a released player by the amount of his new deal with another club (an “offset”). Since Routt’s contract doesn’t have this language, he has been getting paid this year from both the Raiders and the Chiefs.

Routt counts $10,785,334 in dead money on Oakland’s cap. Without the restructuring, his dead money would only be $3,333,334. Routt made $15 million for the one season he played under this deal. Kamerion Wimbley is the other major dead money charge for the Raiders at $9.9 million. McKenzie attempted to renegotiate the five-year, $48.5 million contract Wimbley received last year, but didn’t have much leverage because $6.5 million of his 2012 base salary was fully guaranteed without an offset at signing. He released Wimbley on March 16th, a day before the remaining $4.5 million of his $11 million 2012 base salary, his $11 million 2013 base salary and $2 million of his 2014 base salary became fully guaranteed. Kevin Boss and John Henderson, who were also released, are receiving $2 million and $1.5 million payments, respectively, from the Raiders this year because of salary guarantees without offsets.
    Then why not continue course with players we have or totally blow it up! Why sign an average
    Safety like branch and not let him walk same goes for huff! Where did briesels money come from? How about bartell and spencer? If a team wants to they can configure the cap!

Hall of Famer
    null
    That go to show you our GM has no plan he's just throwing darts hoping some connect.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBomber24 View Post
    Streeter really he has dropped so many balls you are buying the coaching staff hype! Streeter has 200 yards recieving. Wheeler is ok but our run defense is worse! Wheeler is part of that debacle!

16 to 88 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lix333 View Post
    You missed my sarcasm.
    Oops. Never mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiedersRaiders View Post
    I believe he went 1-15 in '89 but they went 3-13 in '88. Not much difference. Johnson was also a very accomplished HC in the college ranks. Plus Dallas got NUMEROUS high draft picks from Minnesota for the Hershel Walker. Dont think thats a good comparison.
    Al Davis, inherited a 1-13 team. Next year 10-4 and the rest is history .

Bill Walsh, inherited a 2-14 team. Next year 2-14, next year 6-10, next year 13-3 SB champs and the rest is history.

Bill Belichick, inherited a 3-13 CLEVELAND BROWNS team in 1991. Next year 6-10, then 7-9, then 7-9, then 11-5, then 5-11 and fired. Cleveland Browns record 36-44.

Patriots: inherited a 8-8 team. Next year 5-11, next year 11-5 SB champs the rest is history.

Joe Gibbs, inherited a 6-10 team. Next year 8-8, next year 8-1 (strike season) SB champs and the rest is history.

Jimmy Johnson, inherited a 3-13 team. Next year 1-15, next year 7-9, next year 11-5, next year 13-3 SB champs and the rest is history.

Chuck Noll, inherited a 2-11-1 team. Next year, 1-13, next year, 5-9, next year 6-8, next year 11-3, next year, 10-4, next year 10-3-1 SB champs and the rest is history.

Of course, the NFL is littered with HC’s who haven’t faired as well.

What we are seeing on the field Raider fans is the TRANSITION from a team Davis had and preferred to a team that McKenzie and Allen like and prefer. I lump those two together as McKenzie would never have hired a HC that wasn’t in agreement with each other as to the original direction of the team.

Most (not all) of this season is on them because they did NOT inherit a 1-15 team. They inherited an 8-8 team that THEY decided THEY wanted to blow up immediately.

Sorry, can’t put the majority of that on the players.

Had they inherited say... a 4-12 team I don’t believe that any REASONABLE fan would be squawking about where we currently are.

This franchise will still have salary cap issues until at least 2014.
    Not according to Steve Corkran who follows the Raiders. Seen him write several times now in his blog that NEXT YEAR we will have plenty of cap room and by 2013 everything will be cleared up.
    Dark Gable and Sardonicus like this.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information