Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: NFL's Competition Committee will consider outlawing all blocks below the waist

Hall of Famer

NFL's Competition Committee will consider outlawing all blocks below the waist

SI's Peter King reports the NFL's Competition Committee will consider outlawing all blocks below the waist for the 2013 season.
    It would be a drastic change, one King "sincerely" doubts will happen. Texans ILB Brian Cushing tore his ACL on a questionable chop block from Jets LG Matt Slauson earlier this season. A ban on low blocks would make blocking infinitely more difficult for under-sized linemen and running backs.

- Rototworld

Wow, was wondering how this would affect us. Doesn't the ZBS require a decent amount of low chop blocks?
    Raider Ran likes this.

J Raid is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Boy, that would be a shame, especially considering how good we are and how well the blocking scheme is coming along.

Veteran
    Sure, why not, the hysterical and completely unrealistic quest to make football 'safe' has already robbed us of great physical defensive play. I guess the counter point to that is not allowing the offense to block low - but that will HELP the defense and reduce scoring sooooo....in order to keep scoring up they'll probably make it illegal to ever touch a WR whether within 5 yards or not. Or maybe they'll ban double teams or some other happy horsesh*t.

I hate what they have done to the NFL game.
    Raider Ran and Chewy316 like this.

Veteran
    Or even better - make it illegal to TACKLE low also - so arm tackles only but don't horsecollar them or touch the facemask!

DSOTM is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I also heard that Goodell is looking at a weight limit for special team players.

Cant wait for the hockey lock out to end, at least hockey players are not being forced to wear skirts.

0utlaw is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lix333 View Post
    SI's Peter King reports the NFL's Competition Committee will consider outlawing all blocks below the waist for the 2013 season.
    It would be a drastic change, one King "sincerely" doubts will happen. Texans ILB Brian Cushing tore his ACL on a questionable chop block from Jets LG Matt Slauson earlier this season. A ban on low blocks would make blocking infinitely more difficult for under-sized linemen and running backs.

- Rototworld

Wow, was wondering how this would affect us. Doesn't the ZBS require a decent amount of low chop blocks?
    Well thats par for the course... Soon as we scrap the old system scrap this season and are hellbent on a ZBS the NFL would change the rules which would nullify the best technique of the ZBS.
    N.O.RaiDaNation likes this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM View Post
    I also heard that Goodell is looking at a weight limit for special team players.

Cant wait for the hockey lock out to end, at least hockey players are not being forced to wear skirts.
    Hockey???

Brilliant minds running that show...we barely move the needle as it is but let's go out of business for a 2nd time in 8 years.

DSOTM is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by J Raid View Post
    Hockey???

Brilliant minds running that show...we barely move the needle as it is but let's go out of business for a 2nd time in 8 years.
    Great sport but yeah it is run by a complete a total azz clown

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DSOTM View Post
    Great sport but yeah it is run by a complete a total azz clown
    It actually is the best sport to attend.

My brother's been a huge Kings fan since 1982 and i've been to about 30 games or so over the past 10 years, he's so pissed right now, they finally win the cup and he was all geeked to go see the banner raised and of course they have a lockout...i feel for him.

Be_St is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    What about making illegal looking at a WR?
    UptownXguy3 likes this.

DSOTM is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by J Raid View Post
    It actually is the best sport to attend.

My brother's been a huge Kings fan since 1982 and i've been to about 30 games or so over the past 10 years, he's so pissed right now, they finally win the cup and he was all geeked to go see the banner raised and of course they have a lockout...i feel for him.
    I really dont understand why isnt it more popular in the U.S.

Nhl playoff hockey is without a doubt the greatest of any sport

Naphtali is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Not to worry this wont affect the raiders because our defense gets overpowered and thrown down to the ground, no need to cut

I've always hated the chop block/ cut block because officials are too wishy washy with it, it would be nice to see the defense get this one though

BigPrimo is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    What ever helps Knapp get fired I'm for!
    HBD and IRO1977 like this.

UptownXguy3 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Seriously? What happened to the players that would get 11 surgeries on the same Knee and still play at a all pro level. Just saying.....bunch of wimps in the NFL right now. Thank you Commissioner.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    Can't stand what the NFL is turning into. I respect that the players need to be protected, but there comes a point where enough is enough and we need to just let them play. I'm all for protecting the head on concussion stuff cuz injuries like that can have detrimental circumstances down the road (and also will result in huge lawsuits resulting in losses for the NFL). But trying to protect the legs/knees on a cut block, I don't understand that one at all. They already have the rule in that when a defender is engaged with an offensive lineman, a second o-lineman can't come in and do a cut block. That is more than enough protection in this aspect of the game.

Seriously, if this goes through, I'll be waiting for the next abolition of a rule saying no contact can be made on a receiver, ie removing the 5 yard contact rule to bump them. Their justification will probably be along the lines of "bumping a receiver can cause the receiver to have balance issues resulting in high speed collisions without the ability for players to protect themselves, specifically their head region."
    UptownXguy3 likes this.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information