Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Interesting Fact..

rise421 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Interesting Fact..

Levi Damien
    @LeviDamien

"Raiders have now had 3-game losing streaks in 11 of their last 12 seasons. The one season they didn't have one? 2010 under Tom Cable."

The players really did buy into Tom Cable. I always have said that I wished we could've had Tom Cable be head coach and Hue Jackson be offensive coordinator for a couple more seasons

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by rise421 View Post
    Levi Damien
    @LeviDamien

"Raiders have now had 3-game losing streaks in 11 of their last 12 seasons. The one season they didn't have one? 2010 under Tom Cable."

The players really did buy into Tom Cable. I always have said that I wished we could've had Tom Cable be head coach and Hue Jackson be offensive coordinator for a couple more seasons
    ^ Thought I was the only one. Some Cable fans, more Hue fans, but Cable and Hue, and Marshall too, those were a good combination for us. Tom really had the guys playing hard, at least relatively frequently. I think HUe wanted to be HC, stabbed Tom in the back, and it turned into sh*t for everyone. Little bit of Shakespeare right in our own backyard.

Luca_Brasi is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Cable>Allen

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kinz View Post
    ^ Thought I was the only one. Some Cable fans, more Hue fans, but Cable and Hue, and Marshall too, those were a good combination for us. Tom really had the guys playing hard, at least relatively frequently. I think HUe wanted to be HC, stabbed Tom in the back, and it turned into sh*t for everyone. Little bit of Shakespeare right in our own backyard.
    Personally I think Al was afraid he,d lose Hue if he didn,t promote him...I agree Hue wanted the HC gig and Cables days were numbered once Hues offense showed some promise.
    mike taylor and reapersgt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    you can't find one post by me saying I have Knapp's back.
    This is why I have Knapps back
    No one owes woodson sh!t and I'm not sure he will ever see the HOF

Luca_Brasi is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Cable was not the most tactically gifted coach, but as a former lineman he brought a no nonsense approach. I remember the home game against denver in 2010, we were getting Tebowed until halftime and Kelly said Cable chewed the whole team out during the break, how he was tired of the team not finishing and letting the other team off the hook. Result?? we beat denver's ass!!!

BigPrimo is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    I have to eat crow cuase I was fooled by Hue. Hue is a poor mans Norve Turner. Crap HC but good OC. Cable should still be coach. I think Al got muscled by Hue. I sure did.

Chewy316 is offline Moderator
    Hall of Famer
    I think that the 2010 Raiders were probably the best team we have had since the year we made the Superbowl. That team played hard, bought into the philosophy we had on both sides of the ball and didn't quit on anyone. I felt that even though Cable wasn't a good X's and O's guy, he was very good at managing the overall team, and getting people to buy in to what he was selling.

Note that 2010 was Cable's 2nd full year in charge. He had been in charge for 12 games in 08, and the entire 09 season. We looked pretty bad, if not atrocious during some of those games, yet he was kept around and we added a few pieces coaching wise (like Hue Jackson as OC and Mike Wauffle as D-Line coach). We then saw a nice jump in the W column in 2010.

The point I'm trying to make it we should give the current coaching staff time to get things together, because even Tom Cable looked like a buffoon in both 08 and 09, but still managed to begin turning things around when he had time.
    Do it once, do it right. Or don't do it at all.
    Just win, baby!
    Al Davis, the greatest ever owner in professional sports

Follow me on Twitter: @HBNadolny

Hall of Famer
    Lots of things qualify for "interesting facts" these days. Put together some cool stats and build a theory out of it. We need 2 games a week. We're all bored.
    Moriarty likes this.
    R.I.P. Stacey Toran, Marquise Cooper

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman56 View Post
    Personally I think Al was afraid he,d lose Hue if he didn,t promote him...I agree Hue wanted the HC gig and Cables days were numbered once Hues offense showed some promise.
    Nailed it!

Chairman of the Board
    no I was in that boat as well. I still have hope for DA. I have seen some good things from our team but now we are in a big time slump so I am watching to see what happens from here. I still think DA gets Atleast next season if not longer.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy316 View Post
    I think that the 2010 Raiders were probably the best team we have had since the year we made the Superbowl. That team played hard, bought into the philosophy we had on both sides of the ball and didn't quit on anyone. I felt that even though Cable wasn't a good X's and O's guy, he was very good at managing the overall team, and getting people to buy in to what he was selling.

Note that 2010 was Cable's 2nd full year in charge. He had been in charge for 12 games in 08, and the entire 09 season. We looked pretty bad, if not atrocious during some of those games, yet he was kept around and we added a few pieces coaching wise (like Hue Jackson as OC and Mike Wauffle as D-Line coach). We then saw a nice jump in the W column in 2010.

The point I'm trying to make it we should give the current coaching staff time to get things together, because even Tom Cable looked like a buffoon in both 08 and 09, but still managed to begin turning things around when he had time.
    Nailed it^^

raider_kin62 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Nice job OP.

I hated it when I heard Cable was not coming back; though it was a big mistake.

B. anthracis is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPrimo View Post
    I think Al got muscled by Hue. I sure did.
    I hear this a lot, but is there anything to back it up? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm asking a sincere question. To me it seems odd that in just one year when the team went from 4-12 to 8-8 that the HC would then be fired. That's what happened in the transition from Bugel to Gruden: 4-12 to 8-8. Strange.

And was Hue really threatening to leave for a HC position elsewhere if he didn't get the HC gig here? It doesn't seem likely that any coach ever scared Al into doing anything other than threatening to take a few more minutes to get Al's coffee than he normally would.

MrWestGrand is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rise421 View Post
    Levi Damien
    @LeviDamien

Cable cost Al money for punching the assistant coach in the face, and the drama with beating on his GFs "allegedly". The decision had little to do with Hue.
    stork44, ecnirp and Pledge like this.

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by B. anthracis View Post
    I hear this a lot, but is there anything to back it up? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm asking a sincere question. To me it seems odd that in just one year when the team went from 4-12 to 8-8 that the HC would then be fired. That's what happened in the transition from Bugel to Gruden: 4-12 to 8-8. Strange.

And was Hue really threatening to leave for a HC position elsewhere if he didn't get the HC gig here? It doesn't seem likely that any coach ever scared Al into doing anything other than threatening to take a few more minutes to get Al's coffee than he normally would.
    yea I don't think Al got bullied by anyone. He was the bully all his life so no young guy was going to come in and tell Al what to do. NO WAY!

Cable got himself fired by being happy about 8-8 and declaring the team "not losers anymore". That along with his off field issues ( Hanson, hitting his wife stories etc even if it was 20 years earlier) all contributed to his firing.

I get why he was fired I just didn't agree those things were worth firing the guy after such a big improvement and the first real step this team had made in 8 years.
    ecnirp likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information