Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anybody have any clue what our cap situation will be this upcoming offseason?

Veteran

Anybody have any clue what our cap situation will be this upcoming offseason?

Ugh, I hate the fact that this is actually a legitimate discussion at this point of the season, but we all know the cap hasn't been kind to us in recent seasons. This past offseason we were already over the cap and then had a lot of dead money committed to guys like Wimbley, Routt, Boss, and Henderson. This year we are all assuming Seymour will be let go as well and will contribute to a new wave of oncoming dead money. We also have the realize that we have essentially paid Palmer pennies since he has come in and his salary is going to jump big.

With all this being said, does anybody here have an idea of what the figure will look like?

Metallica0688 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    We are $9 million over the cap already so more cuts will be made by Reggie of this fantastic Talented roster he is got so some of are vast All Pro's won't be here next year .

But I'm sure the rest of the 31 teams will be eager to sweep in and cause some serious bidding wars to sign those he releases though .

Veteran
    If I'm not mistaken the cap hit of cutting Kelly would be less than 4 mil, as opposed to the 6.5 mil he's due to make in 2013 and the 7 million in 2014. That would save us a little short term and a lot long term. Cutting Seymour would be something like a 5.5 million cap hit, otherwise he'd make a ridiculous amount north of 15 million for each of the next 4 years. If I'm not mistaken, all of McClain's guaranteed money has been paid and he didn't have a signing bonus, so I don't think there would be much of a cap hit there, if any. Those are the big 3 I can think of that will save us cap space. It's gna be another tough year and we will need some "reggie magic"

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderrocker18 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the cap hit of cutting Kelly would be less than 4 mil, as opposed to the 6.5 mil he's due to make in 2013 and the 7 million in 2014. That would save us a little short term and a lot long term. Cutting Seymour would be something like a 5.5 million cap hit, otherwise he'd make a ridiculous amount north of 15 million for each of the next 4 years. If I'm not mistaken, all of McClain's guaranteed money has been paid and he didn't have a signing bonus, so I don't think there would be much of a cap hit there, if any. Those are the big 3 I can think of that will save us cap space. It's gonna be another tough year and we will need some "Reggie magic"
    Tommy Kelly is cap hit will be $9,374,267 for us to cut him

Seymour is cap hit is $16,315,000

McClain is cap hit is $6,675,000

Huff is cap hit $11,288,750

Darren is cap hit $8,018,417

Curry is cap hit $3,877,000

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallica0688 View Post

McFadden has a opt out clause. Where are these numbers coming from? You can also stretch cap hits over 2 seasons. McClain will not count 6.6 if cut. Seymour has a big number but will be gone for sure.
    acidwash likes this.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer

I'm actually stunned anyone took the GM job after looking at the situation Al left as well as no significant picks in the 2012 draft. Next year is going to be extremely difficult as well as even though it will be nice to rid the team of Kelly, Seymour, and McClain those positions will have to be filled and there won't be any money to sign top free agents and no 2nd round pick.
    HITMAN likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    McFadden has a opt out clause. Where are these numbers coming from? You can also stretch cap hits over 2 seasons. McClain will not count 6.6 if cut. Seymour has a big number but will be gone for sure.

This is off sportrac and Darren isn't showing an opt out clause on there .

Yes can stretch the cap hit over two years but that also will keep Reggie handcuffed longer by doing this too .

Now the nice thing is Darren is a free agent after next season

McClain is a free agent after 2014

Kelly is a free agent after 2014

Huff is a free agent after 2014

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    This is off sportrac and Darren isn't showing an opt out clause on there .

Yes can stretch the cap hit over two years but that also will keep Reggie handcuffed longer by doing this too .

Now the nice thing is Darren is a free agent after next season

McClain is a free agent after 2014

Kelly is a free agent after 2014

Huff is a free agent after 2014
    It is either a club or player opt out. I think it is a player opt out . I have Sportrac but they do not show player cap hits for 2013 season I was just looking at it. Some of these player bonuses are roster, workout etc.. You have to look at the guaranteed money it would have cost us about 6 million to cut McClain this year so how could it be the same next year.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN

Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/group.php?groupid=10

Hall of Famer
    I followed this pretty closely last year, but haven't kept up. My rough impression is that to make cap last year a lot of money was pushed into the future, meaning starting this year. Problem #1 is Palmers 17 mil for next year. If you pay that (and I think we will), then you are again in the business of pushing money into 2014. It all depends on when you want to quit this business of borrowing from the future in order to win 5 games or less. Bluntly ...

We should have cut Seymour.
    We should have cut Kelly.
    We should have cut Lechler.
    We should have let Branch walk.
    We should cut Bey next year.
    We should cut McFadden next year.
    We should cut Curry next year.
    We should cut McClain next year.

Do all this, and we will still be pushing money into the future likely, but at least we will own ourselves mostly in 2014, and entirely in in 2015. Sorry it isn't a happy answer.

Hall of Famer
    It is either a club or player opt out. I think it is a player opt out . I have Sportrac but they do not show player cap hits for 2013 season I was just looking at it. Some of these player bonuses are roster, workout etc.. You have to look at the guaranteed money it would have cost us about 6 million to cut McClain this year so how could it be the same next year.
    Actually they do show the cap hit for 2013 as was just went back to look at it .
    That the base salary and the roster/signing bonus money is what goes into the cap hit for the team .

$6,675,000 is what the hit will be for us next year on Ro .

That this year would've been easier to release him as it was only a $3,640,000 because his base salary was only $970,000 and misc bonus was $ 2,670,000 .

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Not to mention the one thing everyone seems to forget and I keep saying OVER and OVER agian... Any available cap space from this year can be carried over in to next year.
    Chewy316 likes this.

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Actually they do show the cap hit for 2013 as was just went back to look at it .
    That the base salary and the roster/signing bonus money is what goes into the cap hit for the team .

$6,675,000 is what the hit will be for us next year on Ro .

That this year would've been easier to release him as it was only a $3,640,000 because his base salary was only $970,000 and misc bonus was $ 2,670,000 .
    His cap hit may be 6.75 but his salary is 4 million which means his bonus is 2.7 million and 2.7 million in 2014 which means we could cut him and take a 5.4 million hit over 2 years.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/group.php?groupid=10

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by acidwash View Post
    Not to mention the one thing everyone seems to forget and I keep saying OVER and OVER agian... Any available cap space from this year can be carried over in to next year.
    We have from last I seen was around $3 million in cap space but like all clubs have to let the League know before the start of the new league year if they are going to roll this cap room over or not .

Hall of Famer
    His cap hit may be 6.75 but his salary is 4 million which means his bonus is 2.7 million and 2.7 million in 2014 which means we could cut him and take a 5.4 million hit over 2 years.
    Actually it would be the $6.75 . that would be $3,375,000 spread over the two years for us .

BVJ
    Hall of Famer
    Actually it would be the $6.75 . that would be $3,375,000 spread over the two years for us .
    That number seems off, if McClain was cut all of his guaranteed money would have been accelerated and cap hit was upwards if $12 million.

Paul G write an article about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information