Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: 13 months after Mr. Davis passes... Are u still blaming him or readt to move on/

Chairman of the Board

13 months after Mr. Davis passes... Are u still blaming him or readt to move on/

October 8, 2011, our maverick owner passed. For years all we heard is how he was the reason for failure for the past decade was his fault solely. From the "fishy" comment made by Randy Moss to the "red phone" comment by a few players of that era and the overwhelming anti-Davis sentiment of many fans, it was obvious Al Davis was the center of everything bad the Raiders had become. NOW 13 MONTHS LATER.... Are u still blaming Al for everything or are you ready to look to the future and stand by your team?? In my opinion its time to quit blaming a dead man and let the organization rebuild. Just like in politics, George Bush has been gone for 4 years. No more excuses, this is on the encombants shoulders and its Time to take responsibility! Im tired of excuses and im holding the management and coaching staff accountable from this day forward. Al is gone people. Either look forward or move on$
    Jzero, ottomatic1 and Godinez84 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Both.

I happen to like history quite a bit. There is a lot to learn from it. That doesn't mean I dwell on wrongs done hundreds of years ago. To look forward does not mean to forget the past.

Hall of Famer
    I guess you can call it "blaming" him if you like. He was the head of the organization, the buck stopped with him and I don't think he would have argued the point. So it is what it is, or was. I don't think dwelling on it serves any purpose, however, except in referencing why we are in a bit of a predicament that will take some time to fix. And personally, I'm fine with that... I harbor no animosity towards him. Mr Davis led us to more Super Bowls than a lot of teams have enjoyed, I just wish he could have won another one before he left us.

underdog is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I still have to blame the guy for all the money tied up in weak players. It's not like just because al is gone all his mistakes are gone with him.

And just because I did not care for how al ran things does not mean I stopped standing by my team.

They just discovered a new color called grey. I guess it is no longer a black and white world

mexicanraider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISVILLE R8R View Post
    October 8, 2011, our maverick owner passed. For years all we heard is how he was the reason for failure for the past decade was his fault solely. From the "fishy" comment made by Randy Moss to the "red phone" comment by a few players of that era and the overwhelming anti-Davis sentiment of many fans, it was obvious Al Davis was the center of everything bad the Raiders had become. NOW 13 MONTHS LATER.... Are u still blaming Al for everything or are you ready to look to the future and stand by your team?? In my opinion its time to quit blaming a dead man and let the organization rebuild. Just like in politics, George Bush has been gone for 4 years. No more excuses, this is on the encombants shoulders and its Time to take responsibility! Im tired of excuses and im holding the management and coaching staff accountable from this day forward. Al is gone people. Either look forward or move on$
    Good thread. However, the issue here is several are blaming the current regime for the state of the franchise. This roster (90%+) is an Al Davis roster. No need to start bashing Al (RIP), but it has been discussed to death that his latest decisions were mostly poor. It was hit and miss, but particularly with high rounders, we did have some head scratching decisions as of late, for the last 10-15 years.

So answering your question, I have moved on. I very seldom mention Al (RIP) anymore, only when obviously there are some posters that still wish the "status quo" had been maintained and bash Reggie and DA for all the Raiders problems.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I think people who continue to blame Al Davis, especially this year, are silly to put it nicely. I know he was behind many poor decisions but to put everything on him is ridiculous. We haven't had a decent head coach since Gruden. We've had talent but have lacked the teachers. Maybe Al Davis held some coaches back by trying to be too involved but that wouldn't explain why our coaches this year seem to be garbage.

Hall of Famer
    Hey whats up homie you haven't called me in a while we need to get the kids together soon. Anyways brotha I'm sure we will have a deeper conversation about this next time I see you. But honestly brotha this is still AD's roster and it's his fault that we are strapped the way we are. He just kept throwing money at the problem instead of cutting his losses and rebuilding. I think Reggie start to make an impact around year 3 this year I don't really count for him because he inherited a cap hell and a bunch of stiffs...........................
    "If your going through HELL, keep going"
    -Winston Churchill-

dry23 is offline Banned
    Veteran
    Al's gigantic contracts and draft busts have created a ball and chain effect over the last 10 years or so. High risk, low reward players with guaranteed contracts have hampered our ability to add solid depth to our team. Let's not forget that we've MISSED ON EVERY SINGLE FIRST ROUNDER SINCE CHARLES WOODSON.

God bless Al, and may he rest in peace.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

AL 9000 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanraider View Post
    Good thread. However, the issue here is several are blaming the current regime for the state of the franchise. This roster (90%+) is an Al Davis roster. No need to start bashing Al (RIP), but it has been discussed to death that his latest decisions were mostly poor. It was hit and miss, but particularly with high rounders, we did have some head scratching decisions as of late, for the last 10-15 years.

So answering your question, I have moved on. I very seldom mention Al (RIP) anymore, only when obviously there are some posters that still wish the "status quo" had been maintained and bash Reggie and DA for all the Raiders problems.
    I don't think anyone is blaming the new regime for the sate of the entire franchise. People don't like the poor coaching hires which turned this team upside. I personally think a ton of blame should be placed on Knapp and Pollack because they're apparently horrible teachers at what they're trying to do, but then I think about who hired them and start to wonder. Knapp probably can't help how bad he sucks. Some people just aren't good at what they think they are. I don't mean to crush any dreams or anything, but Knapp should probably find a different profession that he could actually succeed in. He take take Pollack with him.

As for Dennis Allen and Reggie McKenzie, I just hope they correct what went wrong this season and are not stubborn about getting rid of certain people *cough* Knapp *cough*.

Raiders Baby! is online now Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    I do blame him for:

-squandering many draft picks

-handing out bloated contracts that still plague our team today

I don't blame him for:

-any decision not having to do with ^ going forward into the future

However, in fairness there are things that I still praise about the man:

-commitment to hiring diversity and colorblindness in a time where this was looked down upon

-building the Raider brand into what it is today

Bottom line, Al made the Raiders and their image, but then made them a parody of themselves. Take the good with the bad. If something today is still Al's fault (TK's contract, for instance, or paying Routt Aso money when we could've still had Aso) I will blame him, but I won't judge him unfairly. I think that's all you can ask for.
    cheapshotartist and SoCalR8r like this.

Chairman of the Board
    I still "blame" ol' man Tootles

... for those 5 Super Bowl appearances, resulting in 3 Super Bowl Championships.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

agular9 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Think everyone pretty much just blames Palmer and Knapp.

No seriously though, Al put us in a hole and we are still digging out. From here on out it is most definitely on their shoulders, however a lot of money is tied up in "Al" type players and the fact that so many of the past 5 years of draft picks have been misses, this regime is really behind the eight ball shown by the 23 new guys they had to get for this season. Great teams are built through multiple drafts and I dont even count the last draft as a fair chance first opportunity.

I definitely have a different mind set than most on this board though. I have low expectations and hope for wins knowing that this is going to take time.

Hall of Famer
    I think you have to approach this situation with a bit of logic. I, personally, try to view the facts of the situation and go from there. There are still bloated contracts and underachieving players on the roster that should be blamed on Al and his mismanagement of the team. When the contracts expire or the players are jettisoned then we will be past the Al Davis regime. Additionally, there are players and coaches (namely, Mr. Knapp) that are on this team that are underachieving and should be pegged to Reggie and DA. Yes, it has been 13 months since Mr. Davis passed on but his fingerprints still remain. So to say "X amount of time has passed, move on" seems a bit short-sighted or close minded IMHO. Conversely, you can't blame Al Davis for the hiring of Greg Knapp or the contracts given out to incoming FAs and draft picks. That's just basic logic to me. But, as we've seen with the recent political environment, people will see and/or believe what they want to and it's excruciatingly painful to try and convince them otherwise if they aren't willing to accept undeniable truths or aren't open to the facts of the situation.

Hall of Famer
    I wouldn't call it blaming as much as I'd call it a change in philosophy. Al didn't rebuild, he reloaded, year after year while using voodoo, smoke a some very warped circus mirrors to balance the cap. At this point, Reggie's attempting a rebuild from the ground up, which rarely comes without a lot of pain. So no, no blame. Al had a model that served him well in the past, Reggie's trying to implement a model that'll serve the Raiders well in the future. And, during the transition, it hurts.
    regret likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Frankly you are a simpleton. The effects of Al Davis and George Bush will linger on for years because of what they set in motion and monies being owed for years to come. George bushs will linger on longer than Als. Just because people realize Al effected the team negatively often, doesnt mean we are not looking to future and supporting the team.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information