Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dline must be addressed!

Hall of Famer

Dline must be addressed!

We have an aging Seymour, overrated Kelly not to mention there out of position! We need a run pulling fat ass in the middle in the Ted Washington, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata form to clog the damn middle and keep I lineman off the lbs!

Hall of Famer
    Every single area of the team needs to be re-addressed, the only possible exception being QB. I would say that D line is arguably one of the stronger areas of the team, not that it showed as the game went on last week, but still... I'd love to see the Raiders invest in CB's and O-line and somehow bring someone in who can put some serious heat on opposing QB's first.
    losdogdagreat likes this.

NorcaliRaider is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Our starting DT's are poo. Have been for YEARS. Our DE's are ok but people have great success running up our gut for years now and that is squarely on the DL. I would love a huge DT to soak up blockers so our new athletic LB's can make plays. This and a stud DE pass rusher with some help at CB are what i want.

Quote Originally Posted by SLVR and Black View Post
    Every single area of the team needs to be re-addressed, the only possible exception being QB. I would say that D line is arguably one of the stronger areas of the team, not that it showed as the game went on last week, but still... I'd love to see the Raiders invest in CB's and O-line and somehow bring someone in who can put some serious heat on opposing QB's first.

underdog is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I can't believe Kelly is signed through 2014 and seymore is signed through 2016. Al sure knew how to throw money away on garbage.

I really do hope and the end of the season seymore just says hey, my body is falling apart my game is going down the drain and there is no way I am winning a super bowl soon. Throw in that I am unreadable, I think it is time to throw in the towel

Hall of Famer
    Our d-line is exactly what the results say they are. Is isn't one week, it is years of bad, to very bad, to just plain awful run defense for at least 4-5 games a year. We lose the games where the d-line lets the other team run wild, and that has been amounting to 1/4 of our games. If you ever want to see us break .500 this has to be addressed. After getting an NFL quality QB it is the single most important thing on a team, and ours sucks.

Hall of Famer
    I don't know why they haven't just played the DT rookies. They can't be much worse than Kelly and Seymour. Especially now with Seymour ailing and the rotation getting short

Do we even have Cumbie and Hamilton anymore? They don't need to play a huge amount of snaps but it would give the line some much needed rest.

The LBs are going to benefit from Curry being in the rotation as well since they won't have to play every down. So it should improve the run defense

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    We could have had Nata, Raji and Cody but we went for speed. You reap what you sow.
    heavyD and JUSTWINBABY9111 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Its the same story though. Dominant one week, suck the next. Hell, in the Tampa game is was one half to the next. It appeared to be players in position just not making tackles. Stuff we've heard before. Its goes back to the same history of hearing players just need to "clean it up".

What Kelly and Seymour are paid do not nearly match the production. But, consistency is the biggest issue. I don't think you teach that to veterans, aging at that.
    cheapshotartist likes this.
    Mr. Auburn Tiger....turned Oakland Raider backup plan after our savior turned out to be what we should have expected him to be.

Jason "Check Down" Campbell

Hall of Famer
    To maximize their production, you have to keep rotating Kelly and Seymour with other players - they can't play 50-60 snaps and be consistently effective.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcaliRaider View Post
    Our starting DT's are poo. Have been for YEARS.
    Uhmm, the whole defense is poo and it has been for years. And, the people who we're most exited about are a LB that nobody's ever heard of before this year and a late 4th round pick.

I do find it interesting though that, when the D-line does give up a lot of yards on the ground, it happens after the passing game starts to click, sometimes after only a single long completion.

or24 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    We could have had Nata, Raji and Cody but we went for speed. You reap what you sow.
    Raji has been terrible recently and Cody is just awful. This is just the flavor of the week with everyone whining about the run defense that's actually good for once this season. Jesus could be our QB and people would have nothing positive to say. This obsession with having a big blob in the middle of our line is ridiculous, when our run defense is actually this teams biggest strength and Seymour is arguably a top 10 DT.

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by or24 View Post
    Raji has been terrible recently and Cody is just awful. This is just the flavor of the week with everyone whining about the run defense that's actually good for once this season. Jesus could be our QB and people would have nothing positive to say. This obsession with having a big blob in the middle of our line is ridiculous, when our run defense is actually this teams biggest strength and Seymour is arguably a top 10 DT.
    You have your opinion and I have mine so we can agree to disagree but I can't believe that you just said Seymour is a top ten DT. In his prime in NE he was but not now, did you watch him get man handled by a back up guard against the bucs? Top ten DT? Not.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    I can't believe Kelly is signed through 2014 and seymore is signed through 2016. Al sure knew how to throw money away on garbage.

I really do hope and the end of the season seymore just says hey, my body is falling apart my game is going down the drain and there is no way I am winning a super bowl soon. Throw in that I am unreadable, I think it is time to throw in the towel
    First up, Richard Seymour's deal was converted from a 1-year deal to a 5-year deal by Reggie McKenzie not Al Davis to free up cap space for 2012. There were posts saying Kelly's deal was also re-worked by Reggie but I have yet to find any evidence of that.

People forget that against the Bucs, Seymour was playing with a hurt knee and then injured his hamstring. Add to that, Demond Bryant did not play again after the first series of the second half and was hospitalised thereby reducing the DT rotation to a banged up Seymour, Kelly, and Christo Bilukidi.
    THE Raiders 2014 Draft Class:
    Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
    Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
    Keith McGill, DB, Utah
    Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
    Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
    Jonathon Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky

QANTAS - even when an engine explodes the catering/service is STILL the biggest disaster on a Qantas flight!!!

Ratim is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by djh_raider View Post
    First up, Richard Seymour's deal was converted from a 1-year deal to a 5-year deal by Reggie McKenzie not Al Davis to free up cap space for 2012. There were posts saying Kelly's deal was also re-worked by Reggie but I have yet to find any evidence of that.

People forget that against the Bucs, Seymour was playing with a hurt knee and then injured his hamstring. Add to that, Demond Bryant did not play again after the first series of the second half and was hospitalised thereby reducing the DT rotation to a banged up Seymour, Kelly, and Christo Bilukidi.
    From what I can find, to keep Kelly and Seymour next year would cost us approx $24M, to cut them both would cost approx $8M in outstanding signing bonuses.

There's a $16M swing there. We could pick 2 very good younger DTs with that and still have some cap room left to address other needs.

I think Kelly's reworked contract was agreed by Reggie, but it wasn't signed as it was a contigency just in case they need some quick cap space.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by or24 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information