Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Election Solidifies Chargers as Front Runner for Los Angeles NFL Franchise

Almaden is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Election Solidifies Chargers as Front Runner for Los Angeles NFL Franchise

Encouraging news out of San Diego. As reported by USA Today, the newly elected mayor of San Diego is likely to make LA even more attractive than ever to the Spanos family....

------------------
    The San Diego Chargers’ decade-long quest for a new stadium almost certainly won’t be submitted to voters until at least 2014.

But even that possibility appeared less likely this week with the election of new mayor Bob Filner, a Democrat who has vowed to be “the toughest negotiator the Chargers have ever faced.”…

Filner, a Congressman, states on his campaign website that “our city has been held ransom by our sports teams, a fact we cannot forget.” He states “the only deal” he would make “is one that will give something back to the city and its taxpayers.” He states that could include “partial ownership of the team” and “greater involvement and support of our public schools.”
    --------------
    bleed4raiders likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Good for the Chargers, bad for the fans in Los Angeles.

i'd rather see the Rams back.
    Raidermofojeff and tybiggums like this.

For all you nerds out there:
    01000111011011110010000001010010011000010110100101 10010001100101011100100111001100100001

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmauke View Post

Yes and yes. The Rams really belong in LA. A larger portion of their history is their and I know many disgruntled fans still follow them. I believe the league thinks they're bringing back an old buddy by inserting the Chargers into LA but I think there may be some backlash initially.

For my own selfish reasons, I used to live in LA, I really only wanna see the Rams and/or the Raiders brought back to LA. I'm not saying this because I want to steal the Raiders from Oakland. I believe that the Raiders belong in Oakland but if they simply couldn't figure out how to get a new stadium built in Oakland I sure would love to see them back in LA.

I know with the lack of an actual NFL team for nearly 2 decades that football fans in LA have moved on to other teams or held true to their fandom, lots of Raiders fans still, and only until recently have people in LA started to follow the Chargers. Mostly because of the little success the Chargers have been stringing together (minus the meaningful success of actually winning a Lombardi). But plopping the Chargers into LA won't sit well with everyone. Especially if the Rams and real success don't follow shortly there after. LA is fickle. That's what drew so many people in when the Raiders were there. The Raiders won and won when it counted. No one forgets that the Raiders were the only team to bring a championship to the city. LA loves a winner but quickly ignores a loser. So, if the Chargers truly end up in LA, they better get their **** together and figure out how to win the big one or they'll be playing in front of mostly empty stadiums. Unless, of course, they're playing the Raiders
    bleed4raiders and dmauke like this.

Hall of Famer
    If it happens, I'll go to one game a year. When the Raiders come to town.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaden View Post

But even that possibility appeared less likely this week with the election of new mayor Bob Filner, a Democrat who has vowed to be “the toughest negotiator the Chargers have ever faced.”…
    Great move Filner, that attitude should keep the San Diego economy humming right along...

weber_2 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    F that! Higher sales tax now this!

Hall of Famer
    The only thing this election solidified was that we need to get the rest of the republicans out of the senate so we can actually move this country foward

Other than that........ I don't care as long as the Raiders stay in California

underdog is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    That mayor will be out after his first term if the people of SD think he let the team go.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    That mayor will be out after his first term if the people of SD think he let the team go.
    Not if he shows he's putting the community over a football team, not everybody is a football fan and if it's his message and intention to have the Chargers give back to SD and the Tax payers, then he is doing his job as a mayor AND a patriot.

No more of the Rich getting richer at the expense of the middle class
    R8rHead likes this.

RADRNATN is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    so the raiders are never getting a new stadium,cool ill die and only see the o.co

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by bleed4raiders View Post
    The only thing this election solidified was that we need to get the rest of the republicans out of the senate so we can actually move this country foward

Other than that........ I don't care as long as the Raiders stay in California
    Yes, by all means, lets run up the unemployment numbers and the national debt even more.
    LINQ likes this.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by dmauke View Post

The NFL would like both an AFC and NFC team to share a stadium in LA. So you might see both the Rams and Chargers there.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by underdog View Post
    The people of San Diego could not care less if the Chargers leave. The team rarely sells out even when they are winning.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
    Yes, by all means, lets run up the unemployment numbers and the national debt even more.
    ala the Bush administration and all the Republicans that look out ONLY for that 1 percent AND those bills they signed that got us into this mess to begin with. Plus their obstructionism and that infamous statement "my goal is to make sure this is a 1 term president"

I guess you like supporting a party that was willing to destroy the country for one mans job. Then put us back in a depression if they had got office.

You're such a patriot
    Rudimus and Donaldray510 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Anywho...we're all Raider fans around here so can we stick to just Raider discussion? I'm pretty politiked out at this point.
    LINQ and R8rHead like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information