Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Richard Seymour

Phame is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro

Richard Seymour

What has he done for our football team?

Seriously...

The only time I even notice this guy on the field is when he is getting into a scrum after the play or committing a personal foul.

He was supposed to bring the "work ethic" to our team - yet he suits up for practice about once every other week.

Honestly the most notiable thing he has done for us is slap Big Ben (after we were getting rolled)

I can't wait to cut this overpaid, washed up, all talk has been and move on.

I really hope we cut Huff in the off-season as well, SS, FS, CB - no matter where he has played it's the same results, out of position, chasing dudes down and jumping on their back to "tackle" them, his entire career as a Raider I can't think of a single game changing play he has been involved in.

These overpaid "vets" are supposed to be teaching our younger guys how to be a pro, well if you look at Tommy Kelly's body of work, he hasn't leared anything from Seymour; and Branch has just been getting worse.

This team needs a complete overhaul. Especially on defense.

jmo, flame on.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Phame View Post
    What has he done for our football team?

Seriously...

The only time I even notice this guy on the field is when he is getting into a scrum after the play or committing a personal foul.

He was supposed to bring the "work ethic" to our team - yet he suits up for practice about once every other week.

Honestly the most notiable thing he has done for us is slap Big Ben (after we were getting rolled)

I can't wait to cut this overpaid, washed up, all talk has been and move on.

I really hope we cut Huff in the off-season as well, SS, FS, CB - no matter where he has played it's the same results, out of position, chasing dudes down and jumping on their back to "tackle" them, his entire career as a Raider I can't think of a single game changing play he has been involved in.

These overpaid "vets" are supposed to be teaching our younger guys how to be a pro, well if you look at Tommy Kelly's body of work, he hasn't leared anything from Seymour; and Branch has just been getting worse.

This team needs a complete overhaul. Especially on defense.

jmo, flame on.
    Dude.. His locker room speeches man!!!
    lol he has had a sore knee, and my guess is that with a sore knee, he must be better than someone else?
    Andre will play week 6, but we will not cut him now. as far as huff?? not sure what that will do to our already depleted salary cap next year
    * The Proceeding Link is not affiliated with this site nor the provider. Listed for Information purposes only!

All-Pro
    Those locker room speaches must be...umm....yeah. Those must be helping a lot.

Sore knees isn't an excuse, look at Ray Lewis dude has been in the leage five full seasons longer than Seymour; yet Ray brings it every single practice.
    If you listen to interviews from any Ravens player, they all talk about how Ray never gives less than 100%.

That is a leader, Seymour is a old goat collecting a paycheck from a team he never wanted to play for anyways. Face it the only reason he is even here is because Al Davis paid the man more money than anyone else would and he has his rings/reputation already.

Is Seymour a great player - he was, and most likely still could be, if he actually cared enough to give it his all.

Fact is, he is just another over-paid washed up bum sitting back collecting millions to practice once a week and disapear on Sundays.

/end rant

Huff might be the best guy at being 2 seconds late to everything he does on the football field.

Chairman of the Board
    I think it all came down to economics. Keeping Seymour for what little contributions he has left is still worth more than paying him for not being here.

And while many are already jumping off Reggie's wagon, he's made the hard choices in an organization that's handcuffed by previous clusterf'ck decisions.

We'll be handcuffed for seasons to go, but loosening up as we move forward. I sense the D will be overhauled within the next couple of season. I'm confident Reggie is here that long.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

Jmac89 is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler

Richard Seymour

Needs to retire

Ratim is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    He's showing the youngsters around here how to not really bother when on the field and then take off as soon as you can in the bye week. Most others are hanging around to try and rectify the awful situation we are in, yet Seymour goes home.

He practices when he feels like it and makes plays on the field even less. His speeches sound great yet he personally doesn't do anything he preaches. Next year he is gone and we can get a decent run stuffer for less than half his salary.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post
    I think it all came down to economics. Keeping Seymour for what little contributions he has left is still worth more than paying him for not being here.

And while many are already jumping off Reggie's wagon, he's made the hard choices in an organization that's handcuffed by previous clusterf'ck decisions.

We'll be handcuffed for seasons to go, but loosening up as we move forward. I sense the D will be overhauled within the next couple of season. I'm confident Reggie is here that long.
    I agree with the financial decision to keep him, as oppsed to paying him (what was it 8 million) to be cut. Either way dude made out like a bandit thanks to good ole' Al.

I just don't understand how this dude gets a free pass from everyone, I mean honestly when was the last time you saw him make a play that made you go "wow sure glad we gave up our first rounder and are paying him 16 million" - because for me it was the first game he played on MNF, he was unblockable. Ever since then our losing culture, coaching changes, schematic deficiencies and flat out bone headed team management has derailed his enthusiasm.

And it shows.

I'm just tired of him getting a free pass, someone needs to light a fire under his ass, or in all honesty; put him on IR or cut his ass. I don't care if it makes thin at DT or whatever, put someone in the game that has some pride in being a professional and will play like they give a ****; b/c Seymour doesn't!

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratim View Post
    He's showing the youngsters around here how to not really bother when on the field and then take off as soon as you can in the bye week. Most others are hanging around to try and rectify the awful situation we are in, yet Seymour goes home.

He practices when he feels like it and makes plays on the field even less. His speeches sound great yet he personally doesn't do anything he preaches. Next year he is gone and we can get a decent run stuffer for less than half his salary.
    +1 He is a terrible example is every way possible. He has mentally checked out and in all honesty is hurting our team more so than he is helping it.
    Mytruckhercar likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Wasn't too long ago it was unfashionable to bash Seymour. Before this year is over it will be standing room only in the "Drink Duvel when Seymour is gone" club.

Welcome aboard, got a couple cold ones in the fridge for you.

xcraider37 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac89 View Post
    Needs to retire
    He is past his prime, but maybe we could get a playoff contender to give us a fifth or sixth rounder for him.

diggler08 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    he is bothered by "arthri-" oh wait "tendonitis" in his knee so doesnt practice much or play full games anymore. He is well overpaid but he does still demand double teams and he does blow the backfield up once or twice a game...even in the Denver route I think I saw two plays specifically where he blew the backfield up on run plays...after that he was pretty much just tired.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by xcraider37 View Post
    He is past his prime, but maybe we could get a playoff contender to give us a fifth or sixth rounder for him.
    That is what I am hoping for. Doubt it will happen, but hey we can always hope right.

kultan is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Give me the Seymour who came late to the Raiders and busted his tail in his first game with the Raiders. Now that he's learned the stystem and plays he's not a game changer like he should for 16million and a 1st rounder.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by diggler08 View Post
    he is bothered by "arthri-" oh wait "tendonitis" in his knee so doesnt practice much or play full games anymore. He is well overpaid but he does still demand double teams and he does blow the backfield up once or twice a game...even in the Denver route I think I saw two plays specifically where he blew the backfield up on run plays...after that he was pretty much just tired.
    Thing is, if Seymour demands double teams then by my math that's leaves 3 Olinemen (traditional set) going aginst our other three Dlinemen.

So either Seymour isn't getting doubled, or whomever the other three players are on the line must really suck becuase I don't think we even breathed on Peyton except for maybe 3 plays the whole game.

B. anthracis is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post
    This^.

What people seem to not understand is that if you get rid of a player before his contract expires (unless there's a trade), you still have to pay him a hefty amount of dollars and those dollars count against the cap. That means that you're paying someone not to be and in addition, you now have to pay someone to take his spot. And that someone will have to be near the minimum in order to keep the cap intact. So the best solution is usually just to gut it out and wait for the contract to expire.

Seymour's never been a big contributor on D. Not since the day he got here. At the time it seemed like a good move; a proven probowler to shore up the D-line for a first round pick that may nor may not work out. Sometimes things just don't work out. The guy's old and has a lot of miles on him. He'll be gone soon enough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information