Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BK

Thread: Oakland Raiders Fun Facts

BK
    BK is offline Administrator
    Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries

Oakland Raiders Fun Facts

Since training camp is still a few days away I thought it would be fun to compile a list of facts about the mighty Silver and Black. Feel free to add to this thread:

1. Raiders running back Marcus Allen was the first player in the history of the NFL to gain more than 10,000 yards rushing and more than 5,000 yards receiving during his career.

2. At the time that Raiders head coach John Madden retired from coaching he had coached in the league for ten years, won a Super Bowl ring, would eventually be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and was the youngest coach ever to reach 100 victories. Amazingly, he was also just 42 years old.

3. The Raiders franchise is the only NFL team to win championships in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

4. During the team’s second season of play in 1961, the Oakland Raiders played their home games across the bay in San Francisco’s Candlestick Park.

5. The Raiders Super Bowl XV win over the Philadelphia Eagles allowed them to become the first Wild Card team ever to win the big game.
    Boostjunkie likes this.
    Follow Raiderfans.net

24/7 Coverage of the Oakland Raiders SBReport.net

I've lived my dream but I thought I would live my dream. I thought I would. But you got to go get it, you've got to fight for it and you got to dominate it... - Mr. Davis

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    I'm going to like this thread.

Was just looking some of these up in a different context.

Tom Flores is one of two people to win the Super Bowl as a player (unfortunately with KC), assistant (under Madden) and coach (twice). (edit) Ditka was the other, following Flores on all three fronts. (/edit) If people ask about Dungy, he never won as an assistant.

Although disputed, he is the first Hispanic coach...

Who was the first hispanic head coach in the NFL

Mr. Davis also hired the first black coach of the modern era (Art Shell) and first female CEO (Amy Trask).

Veteran
    Yep..this thread is gonna rock...
    Amateurs train until they get it right... professionals train until they can't get it wrong.

Veteran
    In 1960..after a "name the team" contest was held by the Oakland Tribune, and the winner was the Oakland Señors. The name was changed 9 days later to the Raiders (the 3rd place suggestion).

The Raiders original colors were Black, Gold and White. When AD became the HC and GM in 63, he changed the colors to Silver and Black and added the "Raider" logo to the helmet.
    Amateurs train until they get it right... professionals train until they can't get it wrong.

Chairman of the Board
    The Steelers sued the Raiders for *ucking up Lynn Swann and a few other Steelers back in the day. HC Chuck Knoll called Tatum and Atkinson part of the criminal element of the NFL. Talking about nerve! The Steelers had Mean Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, Andy Russell, Donnie Shell and several "other thugs" on their roster. When we played the Steelers no holds were barred and anything went, no quarter was asked for or given. Heads were rolling on both teams but since Tatum and Atkinson punked Swann out they took us to court. *uck the Steelers, they could dish it out but they could not take it.

Disclaimer: Any of my comments posted here are not directed at any RFN members. It's just my opinion.

http://youtu.be/d29VsG35DQM
    Practice?

Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Marcus Allen’s career numbers as a passer are: 12 of 27 for 285 yards with 6 touchdowns and 1 interception.

Thread Information