Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Draft Preview: Burfict, Bolden

prolific is online now Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer

Draft Preview: Burfict, Bolden

Two ASU kids who I wouldn't mind seeing in Oaktown: (via Just Blog Baby)

Raiders Draft Preview: Vontaze Burfict - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Once upon a time Vontaze Burfict and the Oakland Raiders would have been a match made in heaven. Few players in the 2012 NFL Draft create such strong opinions as that of Burfict. He’s the kind of guy Al Davis would have welcomed with open arms if it was 1974.

On the one hand Burfict has been compared to Patrick Willis. His talent as a middle linebacker is that real. On the other hand Burfict draws comparisons on Ndamukong Suh and we’re not talking about his talent in that department. Burfict has a knack for crossing the line between being aggressive and playing dirty.

As it stands the Raiders are staying the course with Rolando McClain in the middle. He hasn’t amazed anyone in his first two seasons in the NFL but there is enough to work with that Reggie McKenzie isn’t willing to pull the plug on that Al Davis project just yet.

Still it is hard to ignore just how invisible McClain can be despite his size and considerable athleticism. Burfict was a lock as a first round talent until the wheels came off during his junior season at Arizona State. Inconsistent play, attitude issues and an unimpressive collection of draft workouts have dropped Burfict’s stock down to the late 4th or 5th round level. He could be a bargain at that price but might not be worth the headache. Either way, he’s a prospect some team will certainly roll the dice on. Why not the Raiders?

Vontaze Burfict, MLB, Arizona State

Height: 6’1”

Weight: 248lbs

Strengths: An absolute monster in the middle of the field. He creates havoc playing sideline to sideline with a high motor and a huge chip on his shoulder. Good in all phases of the game from defending the run to pass coverage to rushing the passer. Has a knack for sniffing out plays and blowing them up before they develop. Lays the lumber whenever he hits.

Weaknesses: Defines the term wildcard. His conditioning has gotten worse from each year. Has had problems with coaches at ASU and was benched despite being the Sun Devils best player. Lets emotions get the best of him and will no doubt be all over the Roger Goodell’s radar. Combine performance underwhelmed in all areas.
    Raiders Draft Preview: Omar Bolden - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Once upon a time the Oakland Raiders were a team you just didn’t throw the rock against. On one side of the field was the game’s best shutdown corner in Nnamdi Asomugha. On the other side was a ballhawking corner named Stanford Routt.

That seems likes a decade ago after Oakland’s secondary was sliced and diced in 2011. Aso took his talents to Philly before last season began and Routt lost his job by season’s end.

The entire world knew the Raiders couldn’t possibly replace Nnamdi. But they could have at least tried.

Al Davis gave Routt a raise, drafted two rookies and let nature take its course. We saw the results. Chris Johnson was a complete non-factor no thanks to injury. DeMarcus Van Dyke shows some potential but he’s still got plenty of work to do. Chimdi Chekwa had an abbreviated rookie season that showed some skill but also displayed how much further he has to go.

Thus far Reggie McKenzie has at least done what Oakland failed to address last season, namely signing a couple of proven vets. Nobody expects Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer to return the Raiders to defensive dominance but they certainly can help to tutor Oakland’s young DBs.

Among the many needs the Raiders must address in the upcoming draft will be the secondary. With only a handful of late round picks the silver and black scouts must get creative. That’s why we’re taking a look at a late round gamble with plenty of talent named Omar Bolden. He’s an athletic corner from Arizona State that should be available to the Raiders in the 3rd or 4th round.

Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State

Height: 5’10”

Weight: 202lbs

Strengths: Would be on Al Davis’ radar as Bolden is blessed with both speed and the ability to play bump and run. Has been clocked at 4.38 in the 40. Good technique and footwork, solid cover skills. Good ball skills and a knack for reading plays. Showed great strength for a corner at combine workout putting up 24 reps of 225. Also an asset on special teams both as a gunner and kick returner.

Weaknesses: Has plenty of injury concerns. Missed most of 2009 and all of 2011 with an ACL tear. Has second round skill but injuries dropped stock to 3rd round at best. Inconsistent play from game to game.

Galaga is offline Banned
    Rookie
    I'll would consider both in 6th maybe just maybe In the 5th

Galaga is offline Banned
    Rookie
    Thats just what our defense needs .. More knuckleheads btw

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaga View Post
    I'll would consider both in 6th maybe just maybe In the 5th
    Bolden is, as the article points out and others can attest to, a 2nd round talent who is going to fall due to "health concerns". The 6th round, are you kidding me?

We all know the deal with Burfict, and if he's there in the 5th, we'd be crazy to not take a "gamble" on him (low risk/high reward) - that's my opinion.

Evil Empire is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Yet another Burpfart worship post??

It's like this guy started a new religion. Why on Earth would you want to eff up all our off season momentum by picking this lazy, underachieving mouth breather who needed three workouts for his fat ass to run a 4.8? Here, read about how your hero pulled a Scotty Pippen.

Danny White: Failure to control Vontaze Burfict cost Dennis Erickson his job at ASU
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

ismail86 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Y'all know my opinion

Hall of Famer
    I bet you Burfict goes undrafted. With whats out there on him; lazy, problematic with coaches, bad temper.. could you imagine what the scouts know? Specifically those who have spoken to his ASU coaches.. bet there's worse info on him we don't even know
    DarkLordAlDavis and s_adams66 like this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire View Post
    Unsure if this was even directed at me, but please, if you're going to come at me with some sort of argument or rebuttal (or reasoning as to 'why not'), at least provide something halfway intelligent or logical.

Not sure how I'm elevated to "Burfict is my hero" or whatever that even means. I simply said that if he was around in the 5th (or 6th), it'd be a pick worth making based on value.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

s_adams66 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I'd be fine with Bolden but I want no freakin part of Burfict for the reasons I have posted in the past and the reasons that most people who are against him on this board have posted (previous thread on him).
    DarkLordAlDavis likes this.

Hall of Famer
    I like Bolden, but to me Burfict is almost a McClain Jr.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by foodisgood70 View Post
    Seems much worse.

keelhaul is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by foodisgood70 View Post
    Burfict is much worse imo...

corleone is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Even though I would love nothing more than a disciplined smart team, there is a part of me that has a soft spot for the old school dirty style of Raider Football. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but if I could I would love a defense that doesn't commit the dumb offsides and pass interference penalties, but an occassional personal foul for roughing the QB I can handle, especially if it's Peyton lying on his back or Rivers getting earholed. Burfict could fit that to a tee, but I think his work ethic and negative attitude would have a bad effect on the team. I watched Burfict blow up my Trojans and thought. . .man that would be the perfect Raider. I'm really torn on this one, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't seem to be a RM type of guy.
    cheapshotartist likes this.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by corleone View Post
    Even though I would love nothing more than a disciplined smart team, there is a part of me that has a soft spot for the old school dirty style of Raider Football. You can't have your cake and eat it too, but if I could I would love a defense that doesn't commit the dumb offsides and pass interference penalties, but an occassional personal foul for roughing the QB I can handle, especially if it's Peyton lying on his back or Rivers getting earholed. Burfict could fit that to a tee, but I think his work ethic and negative attitude would have a bad effect on the team. I watched Burfict blow up my Trojans and thought. . .man that would be the perfect Raider. I'm really torn on this one, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't seem to be a RM type of guy.
    I totally get what you are saying but now is not the time. There was a time when we could get away with it but right now I don't think we have enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to do that. Let's get the talent and established players on the defense first.

Hall of Famer
    Anybody wanna translate the long verticle post up there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information