Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tracy Porter Visiting Broncos

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Tracy Porter Visiting Broncos

I Reposted the BIll Williamson article...For those that were hoping he would sign with us

A Manning and Porter union?

March, 20, 2012 Mar 202:46PM ETEmail Print Comments121By Bill WilliamsonWhile there has been talk the Denver Broncos may bring in some former Indianapolis Colts teammates to make Peyton Manning comfortable, they also may bring in the man who delivered Manning his greatest professional blow.

The Broncos are set to visit with New Orleans cornerback Tracy Porter on Wednesday, according to an NFL source. He is visiting with the Titans on Tuesday.

Porter is best known for returning an interception for a touchdown against Manning in the Super Bowl in 201o. It sealed an upset win for the Saints over the Colts.

In Denver, Porter would likely replace Andre Goodman at right cornerback and play opposite Champ Bailey. Putting Porter on his side would likely be fine with Manning.

Oakland also had interest in Porter – Oakland coach Dennis Allen coached Porter in New Orleans – but those talks have stalled after the Raiders signed Ronald Bartell and Shawntae Spencer

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Yeah just saw Cork's tweet on the subject.

Sure wouldn't mind us nabbing him, but we also have needs at LB, TE, maybe RB, DL... you can't have it all.

Hall of Famer
    Sucks if he goes to the Broncos after we expressed interest but whatever. I think Reggie may have filled the CB quota and is looking to start filling other needs (i.e. LB, Oline, RB, QB). I really think we need to land a vet LB or 2. I don't know how well we'd do with rookie LBs playing with Curry, McClain and Goethel.

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Pending clarification by Ran, I have to believe there's some truth to the following tweet:

Ryan Brodie ‏ @brodie13pdx
    @LeviDamien I'm guessing the Raiders had their talk with Porters agent and can't pay the price he wants. So no point in visiting Oakland.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighRaider View Post
    Pending clarification by Ran, I have to believe there's some truth to the following tweet:
    Would make sense. I'm sure Porter was looking for a multi-year deal and being paid like a starter based on his age and experience in NO. From the moves made by Reggie so far, it looks like he's bringing in vet CBs to hold down the fort until he can get the young guys up to speed and draft his own guys. So, I doubt Reggie was inline with what Porter was looking to land in a deal.

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalR8r View Post
    Would make sense. I'm sure Porter was looking for a multi-year deal and being paid like a starter based on his age and experience in NO. From the moves made by Reggie so far, it looks like he's bringing in vet CBs to hold down the fort until he can get the young guys up to speed and draft his own guys. So, I doubt Reggie was inline with what Porter was looking to land in a deal.
    Plausible from where I sit.

Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    i just hope he doesnt end up in denver

Hall of Famer
    Peyton trying to make sure he doesn't throw a pick six to Porter in another crucial game?

Hall of Famer
    Take em.. he's obviously asking too much.. don't overpay for a guy who allows 70% of balls to be completed on him(bottom 10) & a guy who can't tackle.

Chairman of the Board
    People are too money hungry these days.

Must be nice to not be affected by the bad economy.

prolific is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Raiders Excited About Shawntae Spencer, Cooling Off On Tracy Porter - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Apparently Reggie McKenzie got his man in yesterday’s signing of Shawntae Spencer. Vittorio Tafur states that many believe McKenzie might have found one of the great grabs in free agency…in relative terms of course. Peyton Manning this isn’t. But considering Spencer addresses an immediate need of Oakland’s and that he’s going to be playing with something to prove, it all adds up as a potentially valuable addition.

A 49ers insider thinks the Raiders got a steal in cornerback Shawntae Spencer. He lost his starting job due to a hamstring injury in camp last year and will come in with a huge chip on his shoulder. San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh didn’t like that he doesn’t play special teams, and that’s why Spencer was inactive for games at end of the season.

The more people I talk to, it looks like Spencer is being looked at as a starter and the interest in former Saints cornerback Tracy Porter is being put on the back-burner.

Porter is on his way to visit the Titans, the NFL Network reported.
    Spencer’s signing is also said to be the reason why the Raiders are backing off in their interest of inking Tracy Porter to a deal. Tafur notes that Porter is on his way to Tennessee to hear what the Titans have to offer. They just landed former Raider Kamerion Wimbley so Porter might just be a day late in his attempted cash grab.

The reality is Porter is younger and will be looking for more years than the one-year deals Oakland issued to both Spencer and Ron Bartell. Clearly the Raiders are looking for experienced NFL vets that have a chip on their shoulder. Bartell is coming of a season cut short by injury. He was released by the Rams so you’d better believe he’s got something to prove. Same goes for Spencer who was cut by the Bay Area rival 9ers after falling out of favor with the coaching staff.

In all McKenzie is taking a very sensible approach to molding this new Raider team. Low-risk investments with the potential for maximum upside.

Nothing guarantees success but sensible spending ensures the Raiders won’t be capped-out again anytime soon.
    Interesting. Bartell and Spencer looking like the starters if that's the case?

raiderjohn622 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by prolific View Post
    Not bad, both with chips to prove their worth for one last pay day. Throw Huff in there and the young kids, we should be pretty much covered in the corner department.

prolific is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Not upset with the Bartell and Spencer signings at all. I'd feel a lot better about both if we're able to grab a LB or defensive lineman to close out free agency.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    His trip to Oakland was canceled due to contract demands as some of you have figured. I am told that the Front Office seem happy with their 2 projected starters at this point Bartell and Spencer. But we are always looking for guys to make us better than point was stressed. It was purely that Porter wanted a 3-4 year contract at 5+ million a year and RM was not willing or able to do this. If his number comes down here could be renewed interest. They are looking a OLB's now. Not sure of any exact names but I will talk to my guy tonight and get some idea which way we are going if I can.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    His trip to Oakland was canceled due to contract demands as some of you have figured. I am told that the Front Office seem happy with their 2 projected starters at this point Bartell and Spencer. But we are always looking for guys to make us better than point was stressed. It was purely that Porter wanted a 3-4 year contract at 5+ million a year and RM was not willing or able to do this. If his number comes down here could be renewed interest. They are looking a OLB's now. Not sure of any exact names but I will talk to my guy tonight and get some idea which way we are going if I can.
    Thanks for the update!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information