Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Carson Palmer Become the Rich Gannon of 2012?

IrvineRaider is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Blog Entries

Can Carson Palmer Become the Rich Gannon of 2012?

What struck me about Dennis Allen was how similar he is to the 1999 Jon Gruden. Both were young, obscure coaches who had that confidence to them, that preached aggressivness and excellence. Both had a clear vision and direction for their teams.

What went through my head was: Is Carson Palmer similar to the 1999 Rich Gannon? I mean, both were considered to be over the hill, and were cast away by their teams, who thought they were worthless. Gannon proved his critics wrong. Can Palmer do the same?

Thoughts Nation?

Hall of Famer
    Both Gruden and Allen are white men. Check

Both Palmer and Gannon are "older" white QB's. Check

Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Porter, Jett.

Maybe?

NoClapsPlease is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Rich Gannon spent years forced in vertical offenses which he wasn't a good fit in. Gruden put him in an offense he fit and the light came on for him. Palmer is not in the same situation so there's really no comparison at all. How about
    " can Palmer play up to what we gave up for him?" time will tell.

Hall of Famer
    The main difference in this comparison is Gruden was an offensive coach. Allen is a defensive coach.

F@#$teblow is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    I hope your right and Carson Palmer is the next Rich Gannon. But I like you for some reason as I was watching the press conference couldn't help but think that Coach Allen definitely reminded me of a young Jon Gruden. Let's just hope he produces like Chucky did!

Chairman of the Board
    I'd prefer that Carson turn into the next Jim Plunkett - a beat-up and washed-up ex-Heisman trophy winner and former #1 overall wallowing on the bench of the Raiders counting his last moments down.

He then rises out of the ashes and leads the Raiders to 2 of their 3 Super Bowl Championships.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

blah_blah is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    no

despite how people feel about him, Gruden was an offensive genius, who was a tireless worker and incredibly hands on with the offense.. called every play..
    Gannon was an old journeyman QB who fit Gruden's quick pass offense and was just as obsessed with perfection like Gruden and often butted heads..

Carlson Palmer doesn't fit Gruden's bill.. and Allen does not fit Gruden's bill...
    We don't even know who our offensive coordinator is going to be yet. Palmer is a pocket QB, who does better going mid to long and thrives when he has a solid and consistent running game going and don't really like to pass outside of pocket.

While we had our moment with Gannon and Gruden, its not going to get repeated in this situation.

What we can hope for is a new situation that Allen will build and not dwell on the past.

CHASE is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Why does someone always have to compare a certain player to another player.

Chef is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    No this is completely different. However, I do hope we start going in the same direction they did together..which was up.

KEVIN WYNNE is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CHASE View Post
    Why does someone always have to compare a certain player to another player.
    I agree with you on that one. Some Raider fans want to compare everyone to somebody on our team that had past success. It kills me because it is with coaches and players as well as Reggie making personnel decisions. Let's turn the page and understand that the old days are gone and this staff and players are blazing a new trail.

tega234 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post
    I'd prefer that Carson turn into the next Jim Plunkett - a beat-up and washed-up ex-Heisman trophy winner and former #1 overall wallowing on the bench of the Raiders counting his last moments down.

He then rises out of the ashes and leads the Raiders to 2 of their 3 Super Bowl Championships.
    that...would..be...awesome..

Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Raider View Post

YES!!!

Palmer = Plunkett Al messed up calling Campbell a Plunkett. Campbell = Dan Pastorini.

ballin12 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    In terms of playstyle Palmer=Plunket. A player you could compare to Gannon is maybe Rodgers...but hes on the Packers.

Veteran
    He absolutely can be. Although they are VERY different types of quarterbacks, you can draw the comparison. Heck, Palmer is younger than Gannon was when he was acquired by the Raiders, so I'm not worried about his age. Palmer doesn't rely on any sort of athleticism so age shouldn't be a big factor at all. Gannon liked to scramble around, so age was actually a bigger concern for him than it is for Carson.

However, Carson has a big arm and loves the deep ball while Gannon was perfect for a West Coast offense which Gruden ran.

Unfortunately, it looks like theyre going to force Palmer into a west coast offense with Greg Knapp, which Palmer and our receivers are definitely not built for... sigh. I just hope this Knapp thing turns out to be false. No issue with the coordinator, he's run some good offenses, but he just does not fit with our QB, receivers, or running back

Veteran
    The key is CP is healthy and will have a full off-season to work with his WR's, have his running game intact, and know his O scheme. This itself will allow for a better season. Also if we have a better D he will get more opportunitites. I also would like to see him with healthy playmakers intead of hurt ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information