Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: CA Supreme Court Strikes Blow to Stadium Plans for 49ers, AEG LA, and Chargers

  1. #1
    Almaden is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    757

    CA Supreme Court Strikes Blow to Stadium Plans for 49ers, AEG LA, and Chargers

    I won't attempt to explain yesterday's ruling or it's full implications because there are plenty of stories already out on the web. One of the most relevant analysis can we found at Field of Schemes.

    Field of Schemes

    In a nutshell:

    - The state supreme court upheld the abolison of redevelopment agencies

    - The decision creates a $40 million shortfall for the 49ers Santa Clara project. Not a huge gap in a billion dollar project, but still problematic

    - No impact on the Oakland Live proposal since it does not rely on RDAs.

    - The AEG stadium project in LA is adversely impacted, possibly giving an edge to the competing Irwindale project. Interestingly, the guy who publishes Field of Schemes doesn't seem to think either LA stadium project has much of a chance of ever happening. He seems to be well informed on professional sports stadium projects across the US and Canada.

    - The prospects for a Charger stadium in San Diego in the San Diego area appear dead.

    - My take: chances of the Raiders sharing a Santa Clara facility have increased slightly. Chances of them moving to LA
    have always been low, and now are even lower. Chances of the Chargers moving to LA have increased.

  2. #2
    Almaden is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    757
    In addition to Fieldofschemes.com, another with analysis of the court ruling is newballpark.org

  3. #3
    LibertyPirate is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
    ...The AEG stadium project in LA is adversely impacted, possibly giving an edge to the competing Irwindale project...
    The competing project is in the City of Industry BTW. And AEG will have to pony up more dollars to demolish part of the LA convention center if it is to happen. As far as who goes where. The NFL has talked of 2 tenants for a while so it's could be a 2 out of 3 between the Raiders, Rams and Chargers.

    I think Amy Trask is the biggest shark in this pond. My guess is either they announce something this off season with Roski or they wait for a Santa Clara solution. If they don't move to LA for 2012 I doubt they will at all. Should make Oakland loyalists breath a sigh of relief :-)

  4. #4
    raiderrick311's Avatar
    raiderrick311 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    255
    There was a time that I was real fearful that we'd move South once again. However, the last couple of years (particularly this season) has eased my fears. I've noticed how much the Raiders have gotten involved in the community as of late and there aggressive ticket sales practices. We are coming off the darkest time in our franchises history. An average of about 3.5 wins per year for the last 8 years (previous 2010) would send any teams fan base away from games. Fast forward to 2010 and we were 8-8 and sold out only one game. However, this is when I noticed a change in the Raiders marketing and ticket operations. All of the sudden I've seen the raiders at community events, fundraisers, and festivals. They've made their presence known more in the last 2 years than there whole 16 year stay in Oakland. That combined with all games sold out this year (mainly due to aggressive 2 for 1 pricing) makes me think the Raiders are in Oakland for the long term. The franchise has seem to found some footing and I think the last thing you want to do is uproot and start all over again.

  5. #5
    RaiderAM's Avatar
    RaiderAM is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderrick311 View Post
    There was a time that I was real fearful that we'd move South once again. However, the last couple of years (particularly this season) has eased my fears. I've noticed how much the Raiders have gotten involved in the community as of late and there aggressive ticket sales practices. We are coming off the darkest time in our franchises history. An average of about 3.5 wins per year for the last 8 years (previous 2010) would send any teams fan base away from games. Fast forward to 2010 and we were 8-8 and sold out only one game. However, this is when I noticed a change in the Raiders marketing and ticket operations. All of the sudden I've seen the raiders at community events, fundraisers, and festivals. They've made their presence known more in the last 2 years than there whole 16 year stay in Oakland. That combined with all games sold out this year (mainly due to aggressive 2 for 1 pricing) makes me think the Raiders are in Oakland for the long term. The franchise has seem to found some footing and I think the last thing you want to do is uproot and start all over again.
    I noticed that too and I am very glad about that fact! It's great that the team is building their relationship with it's city once again.

  6. #6
    HorrorSCope's Avatar
    HorrorSCope is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    19,385
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyPirate View Post
    Should make Oakland loyalists breath a sigh of relief :-)
    I love how it's simply laid out like that, as if perhaps they should be toyed like that. Put it this way:

    Should make Dallas loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make Pittsburgh loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make the Green Bay loyalists breath a sigh of relief

    As if a town and it's people should have to worry about things like this.

    Send the Rams back, they shouldn't have ever left. That is LA's team. If you don't think so, it just means you're not old enough.

  7. #7
    Da Swami is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    I love how it's simply laid out like that, as if perhaps they should be toyed like that. Put it this way:

    Should make Dallas loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make Pittsburgh loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make the Green Bay loyalists breath a sigh of relief

    As if a town and it's people should have to worry about things like this.

    Send the Rams back, they shouldn't have ever left. That is LA's team. If you don't think so, it just means you're not old enough.
    No, the Rams are Georgia Frontierre's team.

    This has no impact on private developers and if it was such a good idea, they would be lining up and they are not.

  8. #8
    Raider187's Avatar
    Raider187 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    7,964
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    I love how it's simply laid out like that, as if perhaps they should be toyed like that. Put it this way:

    Should make Dallas loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make Pittsburgh loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make the Green Bay loyalists breath a sigh of relief

    As if a town and it's people should have to worry about things like this.

    Send the Rams back, they shouldn't have ever left. That is LA's team. If you don't think so, it just means you're not old enough.
    I agree 1000%! If any existing team HAS to be relocated to Los Angeles, the Rams by far make the most sense. St. Louis never fully embraced that team, even when they were on top of the world winning a Super Bowl. Many in St. Louis are still pissed about the Cardinals relocating to Arizona, just as many of us were when the Raiders left Oakland for Los Angeles. The new owner of the Rams (Stan Kroenke) has many ties to sports business in the LA area as well. Their lease at the Edward Jones dome is up in a year or two as well, so this really makes the most sense to me.
    -Been navigating the seas of Silver & Black and hoisting high the flag of piracy for over 30 years-

    http://www.saveoaklandsports.org/

    https://twitter.com/DarrenPArata

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NewStadiumforRaiders

  9. #9
    Eastbay39 is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorSCope View Post
    I love how it's simply laid out like that, as if perhaps they should be toyed like that. Put it this way:

    Should make Dallas loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make Pittsburgh loyalists breath a sigh of relief
    Should make the Green Bay loyalists breath a sigh of relief

    As if a town and it's people should have to worry about things like this.

    Send the Rams back, they shouldn't have ever left. That is LA's team. If you don't think so, it just means you're not old enough.
    Well said.

  10. #10
    Sea Of Hands's Avatar
    Sea Of Hands is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    4,444
    The "Eternal Sea" continues to rage... Who knows what I am talking about???
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

  11. #11
    Sea Of Hands's Avatar
    Sea Of Hands is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yosemite
    Posts
    4,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider187 View Post
    I agree 1000%! If any existing team HAS to be relocated to Los Angeles, the Rams by far make the most sense. St. Louis never fully embraced that team, even when they were on top of the world winning a Super Bowl. Many in St. Louis are still pissed about the Cardinals relocating to Arizona, just as many of us were when the Raiders left Oakland for Los Angeles. The new owner of the Rams (Stan Kroenke) has many ties to sports business in the LA area as well. Their lease at the Edward Jones dome is up in a year or two as well, so this really makes the most sense to me.
    Wishful thinking perhaps??
    "The Media hated Davis because he kept his mouth shut when it counted and didn't bend over to their tactics. Most NFL owners hated Davis because he was a 'them', having worked his way up, and also because he had no problem hiring minorities when no one else would. You can only have so many people saying bad things about you before the sheep believe it...And now, the sheep don't even know why they hate the Raiders, it's just always been that way..." - Sir Pig

  12. #12
    LibertyPirate is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Swami View Post
    No, the Rams are Georgia Frontierre's team.

    This has no impact on private developers and if it was such a good idea, they would be lining up and they are not.
    ^^^THIS!^^^

    And the record, Dallas fans don't have to breathe a sigh of relief is because the Cowboys reside in a viable sports market. The Raiders currently do not. Warriors are looking at San Francisco. A's are all but gone to San Jose. But you guys think the Raiders are gonna mostly self finance a stadium in your hood??? Really??? When they can pay have as much and see the franchise value rise by a 3rd by going to LA??? Or at worst pay a little rent to the 9ers to reside at their new digs.

    The Raiders chances of staying in Oakland city proper are slim and none. The poster was right about the redevelopment funds. The public funding boondoggle ain't coming to your city. You guys should stop taking it personal and accept REALITY. 8 sellouts in that old stadium don't mean squat. Corporate money runs the NFL. You and I are unimportant...

  13. #13
    raiderArt's Avatar
    raiderArt is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East Oakland
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyPirate View Post
    ^^^THIS!^^^

    And the record, Dallas fans don't have to breathe a sigh of relief is because the Cowboys reside in a viable sports market. The Raiders currently do not. Warriors are looking at San Francisco. A's are all but gone to San Jose. But you guys think the Raiders are gonna mostly self finance a stadium in your hood??? Really??? When they can pay have as much and see the franchise value rise by a 3rd by going to LA??? Or at worst pay a little rent to the 9ers to reside at their new digs.

    The Raiders chances of staying in Oakland city proper are slim and none. The poster was right about the redevelopment funds. The public funding boondoggle ain't coming to your city. You guys should stop taking it personal and accept REALITY. 8 sellouts in that old stadium don't mean squat. Corporate money runs the NFL. You and I are unimportant...
    The bay area is not a viable sports market? Desperation sets in...
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

  14. #14
    Raider187's Avatar
    Raider187 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    7,964
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyPirate View Post
    ^^^THIS!^^^

    And the record, Dallas fans don't have to breathe a sigh of relief is because the Cowboys reside in a viable sports market. The Raiders currently do not. Warriors are looking at San Francisco. A's are all but gone to San Jose. But you guys think the Raiders are gonna mostly self finance a stadium in your hood??? Really??? When they can pay have as much and see the franchise value rise by a 3rd by going to LA??? Or at worst pay a little rent to the 9ers to reside at their new digs.

    The Raiders chances of staying in Oakland city proper are slim and none. The poster was right about the redevelopment funds. The public funding boondoggle ain't coming to your city. You guys should stop taking it personal and accept REALITY. 8 sellouts in that old stadium don't mean squat. Corporate money runs the NFL. You and I are unimportant...
    Dude, you are waaaaaay off base in regards to Oakland's chances of keeping the Raiders. As far as the Whiner aspect, that is true. However, not to be disrespectful or anything, but I have some personal insight into this matter that I can speak from. You can go ahead and discount Oakland's chances of keeping the Raiders in a brand new facility (in Oakland) all you want, and that LA is so much more financially viable, but one look to Baltimore will prove your point moot. They did exactly for the Ravens what Oakland is trying to do for the Raiders. The Ravens are now roughly worth $1.1 billion dollars, and are ranked in the top 10 of the NFL in franchise worth. And if you're questioning Oakland's financial resources to build a facility, the deconstruction of the redevelopment agencies does not affect the land the Coliseum currently sits on. The Oakland Live! plan is a part of a separate joint-powers agreement which allows the Coliseum Authority to raise money for its own projects. Not to mention that Oakland city officials are also planning on tapping into their transportation fund surplus. Oakland is being vastly overlooked in this process. Everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised at the final outcome of this stadium solution journey.
    -Been navigating the seas of Silver & Black and hoisting high the flag of piracy for over 30 years-

    http://www.saveoaklandsports.org/

    https://twitter.com/DarrenPArata

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NewStadiumforRaiders

  15. #15
    LibertyPirate is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderArt View Post
    The bay area is not a viable sports market?
    No... Oakland isn't a viable sports market. If it was your 3 teams wouldn't be at risk of leaving. It's economics plain and simple. If you disagree then tell me why the A's are all but gone, the Warriors are weighing options for San Francisco and the Raiders are more likely to be in Santa Clara or LA.

    Understand it's not about the rank and file fan. Sports entertainment is corporate driven to the core. In lieu of anything less than an ENORMOUS public expenditure the Raiders, A's and possibly the Warriors will pull up shop. Granted they may stay in/near the bay area, but not in Oakland city proper.

    I honestly don't know why it's such a big deal to you guys if they move. Especially if it's to Santa Clara.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •