Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Carson Palmer Touts DHB, Doubts Terrell Ownes

  1. #1
    virtuosity's Avatar
    virtuosity is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    235

    Thumbs up Carson Palmer Touts DHB, Doubts Terrell Ownes

    Carson Palmer needs as much time as possible to learn his new teammates. That’s precisely why Palmer and a select group of Raider receivers are using the bye to get in some extra work. Though Palmer is still feeling out his new targets he already has a good feel for Darrius Heyward-Bey.

    In Palmer’s unceremonious debut in which he split a six-pack of picks with Kyle Boller, Carson and DHB seemed to catch on fast. The two had an almost instant chemistry.

    While Palmer gets some praise for his ability to find Oakland’s emerging receiver it is Heyward-Bey that gets the major props.

    Simply put, DHB is turning the corner in his third year and is slowly becoming the player Al Davis envisioned when he took the Maryland Terp 7th overall. For whatever it is worth, Palmer is already singing the praises of Hey-Bey after only a few practices. Vittorio Tafur quotes Carson as he proclaims DHB to be on his way.

    “He works really hard. He’s obviously fast. He can be a complete receiver. He just needs to continue to work and his confidence needs to continue to grow. The only way your confidence grows is by doing things on game day and making plays and he’ll do that for us.”
    With DHB quickly dispelling the doubters by his performance it is another notorious receiver that is also casting plenty of doubt thanks to an unceremonious performance of his own.

    The name of Terrell Owens is forever linked to Oakland whenever rumors of his next career stop come bubbling up. On that matter Palmer also had something to say in the wake of TO’s recent workout.

    Palmer played with the controversial pass catcher one year ago so he knows a thing or two about where Owens is in this phase of his career. Safe to say you won’t see Owens in Silver and Black if Hue Jackson heeds Palmer’s advice. PFT cites a radio interview with Palmer in which he all but assures the world there will be no reunion with the Team Obliterator.

    “T.O. and I had a great working relationship, he had one of his most successful years over the past five or six years, a lot of production and he was a great teammate in Cincinnati. The problem is that for him to get here there’s not anybody that we could let go, we have a stable of young horses that can run and guys that can just move, very young, very inexperienced but tons of potential and it’s tough to give up a young guy with a lot of potential for a guy that’s got a lot of history in the league that’s in his late 30s, so I can’t see him coming here but I had a good time playing with him and he’s an explosive player himself.”
    Not much of a surprise there. Every year we go through this played song and dance of TO to Oakland. Without fail these rumors are always proved as faulty as excuses from JaMarcus Russell. Palmer’s general indifference to Owens combined with his praise for Oakland’s young talent says it all.

    DHB’s performance says even more.

    If things keep going the way they are then the Raiders could have a budding version of the next TO in DHB. Of course the big difference is that Heyward-Bey’s game speaks loud enough. No need for him to run his mouth and ruin locker rooms to make a point. Heyward-Bey could be Owens just without a single diva bone is his body.

    Time will tell if DHB becomes an elite level receiver. That is something to keep an eye on. Right now we don’t really need much more than Palmer’s words to guarantee Owens will once again be ignored by the Silver and Black. That is something to just turn the page on and forget about…forever.
    Source: Carson Palmer Touts Darrius Heyward-Bey, Doubts Terrell Ownes - Just Blog Baby - An Oakland Raiders Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

  2. #2
    SteveORaider's Avatar
    SteveORaider is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    157
    We don't need TO and his drama...I think the Raiders have had enough drama this year. Plus, DHB is on track to have a great year!

  3. #3
    virtuosity's Avatar
    virtuosity is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveORaider View Post
    We don't need TO and his drama...I think the Raiders have had enough drama this year. Plus, DHB is on track to have a great year!
    Agreed, sorry but 37 year old WR, no thanks! Not to say 37 is old but in the NFL it is.

  4. #4
    Sardonicus's Avatar
    Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    740
    Palmer is not only correct but very tactful and professional when commenting on what could quickly be misconstrued by the media if answered in a certain way.

    There is a lot of youth and potential on this team (which is why the 2 picks for Palmer don't bother me so much). In spite of the positives about Owens brought up by Palmer, his age does factor in big time when you think we'd have to let go of DHB, Moore, Ford, or Schilens.

    I think it's too early to let go of Murphy because in spite of having been a non-factor since coming back from injury I think he'll be just fine in a couple more weeks. He's been relatively reliable in the past with only a few drops here and there.

  5. #5
    raiderArt's Avatar
    raiderArt is offline
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East Oakland
    Posts
    14,048
    Palmer and DHB connected on a pass play that was a thing of beauty to watch live. DHB's route had to be perfect and it was - correct depth and sharp cut. Palmer had to trust DHB was going to be precisely where he threw it because he released it before DHB even made his cut. Both the route and pass were pinpoint. Given the limited amount of time they've had to work together, it was truly impressive. And DHB didn't even jump to catch the ball!!!!
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

  6. #6
    jondavis's Avatar
    jondavis is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    403
    Like he says, who would we let go to get TO?
    And I like the competition that our receivers are getting now.
    It seems that they are all getting pushed to be better then the other one now.
    Which is making some good receivers for us.

  7. #7
    Idaraider!'s Avatar
    Idaraider! is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In your skull!
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
    Palmer is not only correct but very tactful and professional when commenting on what could quickly be misconstrued by the media if answered in a certain way.

    There is a lot of youth and potential on this team (which is why the 2 picks for Palmer don't bother me so much). In spite of the positives about Owens brought up by Palmer, his age does factor in big time when you think we'd have to let go of DHB, Moore, Ford, or Schilens.

    I think it's too early to let go of Murphy because in spite of having been a non-factor since coming back from injury I think he'll be just fine in a couple more weeks. He's been relatively reliable in the past with only a few drops here and there.
    I agree about Palmer 100%, but could not disagree more about Murphy. I really liked Murphy when he was drafted, but to me he was working his way off this team starting last year. Calling out coaches, and teammates after games, (we are not a HS team, and other sh!t). Even if it was true that sh!t should always stay in our locker room, and go no further period! Then this year since he has been back he has been scared, and a crybaby. He has short armed a few passes, because he is scared to get hit, and on the ball from Palmer down the sidelines he totally gave up, and threw his hands in the air wanting a flag instead of concentrating on a catchable ball. He was touched by the DB which could have been called for contact, but not PI, had he stayed with the ball he could have caught it without a doubt. Also of he had not stopped running his route on Palmers pick he could have caught that or at least broke up the INT. Murphy has either gotten too scared to play the game, or has given upon this team, and should be cut or just sit on the bench IMO. We have other/better rec. that should be on the field, and Murphy is just taking time away from them. Oh yeah and I am not saying this because I would want TO's sorry a$$ on this team, I never have, and never will. I would not even use the roster spot on another rec. we have a good stable of young rec. now,(DHB, Ford, Moore, Hagan, and Chaz when healthy) I would rather get more depth on the O-line, or DB's which we seem to have allot of, but they all seem to be hurt. JMHO of course.

  8. #8
    Sardonicus's Avatar
    Sardonicus is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by SNBSkull View Post
    I agree about Palmer 100%, but could not disagree more about Murphy. I really liked Murphy when he was drafted, but to me he was working his way off this team starting last year. Calling out coaches, and teammates after games, (we are not a HS team, and other sh!t). Even if it was true that sh!t should always stay in our locker room, and go no further period! Then this year since he has been back he has been scared, and a crybaby. He has short armed a few passes, because he is scared to get hit, and on the ball from Palmer down the sidelines he totally gave up, and threw his hands in the air wanting a flag instead of concentrating on a catchable ball. He was touched by the DB which could have been called for contact, but not PI, had he stayed with the ball he could have caught it without a doubt. Also of he had not stopped running his route on Palmers pick he could have caught that or at least broke up the INT. Murphy has either gotten too scared to play the game, or has given upon this team, and should be cut or just sit on the bench IMO. We have other/better rec. that should be on the field, and Murphy is just taking time away from them. Oh yeah and I am not saying this because I would want TO's sorry a$$ on this team, I never have, and never will. I would not even use the roster spot on another rec. we have a good stable of young rec. now,(DHB, Ford, Moore, Hagan, and Chaz when healthy) I would rather get more depth on the O-line, or DB's which we seem to have allot of, but they all seem to be hurt. JMHO of course.
    Good point. I hadn't considered the fear factor; I guess I was just hoping he'd bounce back after having been out for a while based on past production, but it happened to Higgins, as well. Guy's bell got rung and he was never the same after that.

    If Murphy plans on playing scared and is afraid to take a hit, he's gonna fail in this league.

  9. #9
    Okie's Avatar
    Okie is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,730
    Quote Originally Posted by jondavis View Post
    Like he says, who would we let go to get TO?
    And I like the competition that our receivers are getting now.
    It seems that they are all getting pushed to be better then the other one now.
    Which is making some good receivers for us.
    Hagan
    Chaz
    Murphy

    I am willing to bet those three guys are on the bubble. Murphy was inconsistent to begin with but he did make some big plays and has that capability. Its too early to tell but he hasnt looked good at all in his first two games back. Chaz at one point could have been our best threat. The guy has the size, speed and hands to be a dependable #2 and maybe even a #1. His production has dropped off since coming back, not sure why but hes had little impact so far minus one wide open play. Hagans just Hagan. Good hands, decent routes but at best a #3 on any roster.

    At this point, keeping .....
    DHB
    Ford
    Moore

    is a must but if i was those other three guys i would be working my tail off. I personally wouldnt cut anyone because of the potential but if it truly made the team better, Hagan is expendable.

  10. #10
    RaiderInNY's Avatar
    RaiderInNY is offline

    2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

    Staff Columnist
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    I'm over here now!
    Posts
    63,020

  11. #11
    RaiderFunk's Avatar
    RaiderFunk is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So. Cal
    Posts
    9,589
    Bottome Line. You DO NOT want to be the team holding T.O.'s contract when he "turns old". Too much risk for marginal reward. Our Wide Receivers have been the most productive they have been in years and shows how much a receiving core can grow with an average to good QB...well however you define Campbell

    Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

  12. #12
    LARaider1 is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    310
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFunk View Post
    Bottome Line. You DO NOT want to be the team holding T.O.'s contract when he "turns old". Too much risk for marginal reward. Our Wide Receivers have been the most productive they have been in years and shows how much a receiving core can grow with an average to good QB...well however you define Campbell
    T.O. is not in any position to demand a big contract. I don't think there is a fear of being "stuck" with a big contract with the signing of T.O. With us, it's more about whether paying him ANY amount of money would be worth a guy who has had attitude problems in the past and is certainly not the player he once was.

  13. #13
    FanInIraq's Avatar
    FanInIraq is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderInNY View Post
    Guess this is what you're limited to when people aren't bashing the media or crying huh.

  14. #14
    virtuosity's Avatar
    virtuosity is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    235
    It's funny that we mention how scared he is acting when the other day on that new Raider show he was talking smack how his bed is in the end zone while Jason Campbell's was at home.

    Honestly he was good two years ago but he has been regressing. I honestly hope he has a reality check and realize you can't be afraid in the National Football League. Either way we have very young talented WR and when CP grasps a hold of this offense watch out because we will be unstoppable!

  15. #15
    inphinity's Avatar
    inphinity is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by FanInIraq View Post
    Guess this is what you're limited to when people aren't bashing the media or crying huh.
    lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •