Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to beat KC (as told by a Chiefs fan)

Taint is offline Limited Membership
    Starter

How to beat KC (as told by a Chiefs fan)

This is a good read. A Chiefs fan appears as a guest writer on a Raiders blog to tell us how the Raiders can win on sunday.

How to Beat Kansas City? Ask a Chiefs Fan | Just Blog Baby | An Oakland Raiders Blog

The Kansas City Chiefs have proven that they are a tough team to beat this year.

They have only lost two games to the Colts and the Texans and it is hard to pick out a theme in those losses. The Colts game was neck and neck until the 4th quarter. This game was more of a defensive battle and in the end, the team with Peyton Manning was able to do just a little more.

The Texans loss was also a strange one in the Chiefs had it in the bag and suffered an uncharacteristic defensive meltdown.

I think what makes the Chiefs so tough is their coaching staff. Todd Haley, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis are doing an excellent job of playing to their playerís strengths. KC is a very fundamentally sound team, they donít get rattled and they rarely make mistakes. These are the primary reasons they are 5-2.

Yet they are far from unbeatable. After the jump, Iíll run down some things I think your Raiders can do to beat my Kansas City Chiefs this Sunday.

When The Chiefs Have The Ball:

Stack the box but donít overreact.
    Teams have been stacking the box all season against the Chiefs for the most part, they havenít been having success. I think the reason is the types of plays the Chiefs are calling are throwing defenses off balance. The Chiefs run a lot of misdirection plays designed to open cut-back lanes away from the defenders. Theyíll send most of the lineman one way and two tight ends another way. The defense will follow the lineman and a hole will often pop wide open.

For the Raiders to stop KCís run game, they will need extra bodies at the line but those bodies had better be patient or Charlie Weis will trick them right out of their cleats. Patience on the part of the Oakland defenders might mean the Chiefs get 3 or even 4 yards but if they are overly aggressive the Chiefs backs could go for 6 or 7 and sometimes even 10 yards. The Colts did a pretty good job of this so I would be watching the tape from that game if I was coaching the Raiders.

If Oakland can shut down the KC rushing attack, they should be able to handle our passing game. Matt Cassel is hot and cold and the Raiders have a talented secondary. If Dexter McCluster sits out, the only legit receiving threats the Chiefs have are Bowe and TE Tony Moeaki. If the Oakland secondary can take care of those two and guard against the screen pass they should be able to force Matt Cassel to make a mistake.

When the Raiders have the ball:

The Chiefs defense plays bend but donít break. They are going to keep the Oakland receivers in front of them and will try to create pressure with some well timed blitzes. For Oakland to succeed against this defense they need to exploit matchups. KCís linebackers are terrible in coverage so the more the Raiders can get the ball to Zack Miller (if he plays) across the middle the better.

What Oakland shouldnít do is throw anywhere near Brandon Flowers. He is having a ridiculous season and if Campbell makes a mistake Flowers will make him pay.

Another way Oakland can get an edge is to fake out KCís young safeties. Eric Berry is good but he is still green and is susceptible to being faked out with the play action. Since the Raiders have been running so well, the Chiefs will likely be bringing Berry up a lot in run support. Get McFadden going and then run the play action and you might just find Heyward-Bey wide open behind the defense.
    Lastly, the Raiders need to take what the Chiefs D is willing to give them. When QBís try to force the ball down field against the Chiefs they often get burned because KCís corners are pretty good. The Chiefs play a lot of zone so the Raiders should almost always be able to find a check down man in the middle of the field. They should keep an eye on MLB Derrick Johnson and if he isnít in the area, take the easy yards. KCís offense struggles at times and FGís could get it done for the Raiders.

Lastly, Oakland needs to go after return man Javier Arenas. Arenas is a dangerous return man so the Raiders should be careful with him but his talents at returning the ball are causing him to catch punts he should fair catch and that could be an advantage for the Raiders, especially since Lechler is such a good punter. He makes me nervous and if the Raiders can get their coverage team down there fast enough, Arenas might just cough up the ball which would be a huge momentum swing.

Alright Raiders fans. Those are my tips on how to beat the Chiefs. Now take everything I said and forget about it. =)

Have fun on Sunday, it is great to have this rivalry mean something again. You are all welcome to come over to Arrowhead Addict and talk about the game with us so long as youa re cool about it. Weíve been having some great, friendly debate with Raiders fans all week. You guys are a passionate bunch.

Cheers and I hate you and your crappy football team,

Patrick Allen
    Arrowhead Addict

Pro Bowler
    Thanks for the interesting post.
    Doesn't really matter. Like Cable said "The Raiders will play their game".
    RAIDER NATION-HAWAII

Chairman of the Board
    Thanks but really all the Raiders need to do is what they have done the past two weeks and that is to punch the Chiefs right in the ****ing mouth! Bring it!

That is the one thing that worries me. Anytime we go against a creative offensive play caller it can reek havoc on the Raiders. The Raiders have the mentality to just take it to you man to man. Well if they're running all these misdirections and trick plays it can make our players less aggressive which will hurt our effectiveness. The Texans are the last team that game planned the **** out of us offensively, Plus they were without Andre Johnson and still whooped our D

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISVILLE R8R View Post
    Thanks but really all the Raiders need to do is what they have done the past two weeks and that is to punch the Chiefs right in the ****ing mouth! Bring it!
    Pretty much and play mistake free ball.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

GruntRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by raider95nation View Post
    That is the one thing that worries me. Anytime we go against a creative offensive play caller it can reek havoc on the Raiders. The Raiders have the mentality to just take it to you man to man. Well if they're running all these misdirections and trick plays it can make our players less aggressive which will hurt our effectiveness. The Texans are the last team that game planned the **** out of us offensively, Plus they were without Andre Johnson and still whooped our D
    Pete Carrol's reputation is as a "Creative Offensive Play Caller". Didn't help him much.
    The Texans and 49ers games taught John Marshal and company a hard lesson. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what a quick study this Raiders Defense is.

jtagg7754 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    Pretty much and play mistake free ball.
    Yessir.

Chairman of the Board
    I hope no one thinks this Chiefs team is ALL that. I mean jesus guys, its not like we are playing the Colts or the Patriot here. yes they are playing well but this franchise jhas been in the ****ter longer than we have and a 5 and 2 record is an accomplishment for any team but it does not make them a power house.

My point here is The Queefs are very beatable as long as the Raiders show up and play like the last two weeks.

traumA is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    ...as long as the Raiders show up and play like the last two weeks.
    This is the key right here though. This team could absolutely kill the Chiefs IF they play like the last two weeks. I'm just worried they'll revert back to their usual form. If not, then I'm completely sold.

jtagg7754 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    My point here is The Queefs are very beatable as long as the Raiders show up and play like the last two weeks.
    Oh they're beatable even if we don't play like that. Shiit if we play like we have the past two weeks for the rest of the season,I would put us in the Super Bowl. unfortunately this team doesn't have that kind of consistency yet..... but I have been wrong before haha.

OTF
    Hall of Famer
    LBs weak in coverage... McFadden, Bush & Reece are all very good receivers out of the backfield. They should all have BIG games!

Think about it, we don't even have to change the lineup, McFadden/Bush & Reece motion out wide with twin formation to the opposite side. Either the Chiefs cover a WR or one of our talented RBs with a LB which gives us big yardage. Run it until they bring in extra DBs and make it easier to run...

romeo13 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    OP missed out on what will decide the game... the O and D Lines.

Raiders D line has been playing much better the last couple of weeks, allowing to the LBs to play gap assignments... if the DTs can penetrate, and hold the point of attack, allowing the LBs free reign, Raiders will win the defensive battle.

Same idea, in reverse, with O'line. IMO chiefs are suseptable to being run on Off tackle... we just need to manhandle their D line (especially their DE's) as they run the 3-4 primarily... but what we don't want to do is be pulling linemen... their LBs are too fast to react... just punch them in the nose and look for the missed gap assignment from their inexperienced Safteys...

We also HAVE to exploit the middle of the field with timing pattern short routes... slants... seem routes... to ensure that their LBs don't just jam the run all day...

All-American is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo13 View Post
    OP missed out on what will decide the game... the O and D Lines.

Raiders D line has been playing much better the last couple of weeks, allowing to the LBs to play gap assignments... if the DTs can penetrate, and hold the point of attack, allowing the LBs free reign, Raiders will win the defensive battle.

Same idea, in reverse, with O'line. IMO chiefs are suseptable to being run on Off tackle... we just need to manhandle their D line (especially their DE's) as they run the 3-4 primarily... but what we don't want to do is be pulling linemen... their LBs are too fast to react... just punch them in the nose and look for the missed gap assignment from their inexperienced Safteys...

We also HAVE to exploit the middle of the field with timing pattern short routes... slants... seem routes... to ensure that their LBs don't just jam the run all day...
    I don't mean to alarm you, but a great deal of McFadden's big plays are on misdirection run plays with pulling guards! Gallery seems pretty good at it actually...

GruntRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    I don't mean to alarm you, but a great deal of McFadden's big plays are on misdirection run plays with pulling guards! Gallery seems pretty good at it actually...
    Yup, Veldheer trapping the Tackle and Gallery lead blocking was blowing open some nice lanes.

HBD
    Hall of Famer
    ... Alright Raiders fans. Those are my tips on how to beat the Chiefs. Now take everything I said and forget about it. =)

Have fun on Sunday, it is great to have this rivalry mean something again. You are all welcome to come over to Arrowhead Addict and talk about the game with us so long as youa re cool about it. Weíve been having some great, friendly debate with Raiders fans all week. You guys are a passionate bunch.

Cheers and I hate you and your crappy football team,

Patrick Allen
    Arrowhead Addict
    That was cool stuff.
    I appreciate the writing, the insight AND especially the closing statement.
    ################################################## ####################################

• Get yer bets in Early boys ... the Odds will never again, be this high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information