Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Mac on "Messiah" Stevie

Hall of Famer

Jerry Mac on "Messiah" Stevie

Putting Brown/Mitchell in perspective - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Putting Brown/Mitchell in perspective

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Saturday, September 4th, 2010 at 8:33 pm in Oakland Raiders.

I doubt weíll ever get the real story of what happened Saturday afternoon when Stevie Brown practiced with the Raiders, talked to the media about making the team, and then found out later he was sadly mistaken.

Iíve already posted the thoughts of Andy Slater, the Florida sport radio talk show host who was tracking the story all day, saying it was Mike Mitchell that the coaches wanted cut.

(Slaterís bio at his radio station says he worked for the Raiders doing film cut-ups. It doesnít say when. One current longtime Raiders employee and another employee who dated back to the 2000 season said theyíd never heard of him).

You can count on Tom Cable saying Sunday that everyone was in agreement, that tough choices had to be made, etc.

Surely it was a big deal to Brown, who could still surface on the practice squad, and Mitchell, who expressed confidence Saturday night he had made the team.

But when it comes down to it, the much bigger story was the ascension of Jared Veldheer, a third-round draft pick out of Division II Hillsdale, to starting center. Heíll have a direct impact on how the Raiders fare in their opening game Sept. 12 against the Tennessee Titans.

Even if Brown had made the roster, there is no guarantee he would be active on game day. Heís played most of the preseason as a single deep safety, while Mitchell, except for a practice or two, has been a strong safety playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

The fact that the Raiders kept Hiram Eugene, who does play the free safety position, means he must have still been listed ahead of Brown.

Iíve already had plenty of correspondence with readers about whatever problems the coaching staff with Mitchell, and my honest answer is I donít know. Heís a little high strung and high maintenance. Heís usually of a mind, when playing defense, to be overly aggressive and overpursue while looking for the big play and the big hit. But he practices every day and has some real qualities as a physical safety.

Brown is a seventh-round draft pick, Mitchell a second-rounder and neither may ascend to the role of starter.

Nice fodder for cutdown day, though.

Note: Luke Lawton is on the suspended list, not the cut list. He is still property of the Raiders and the club can either activate him after Week 2 or release him.

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Hall of Famer
    "Messiah"????

Only seen that in the bible and Obama supporters......lol
    Ted Nugent being interviewed by a British journalist.
    The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, `Are you my friend?` or is it `Are you the one who killed my brother?'"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French in that way."

DreDay707 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by XRamfan View Post
    "Messiah"????

Only seen that in the bible and Obama supporters......lol
    Who is this Obama?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDay707 View Post
    Who is this Obama?
    The President.

All-Pro
    Frantz Joseph and Stevie Brown could have been our Ray Lewis/Ed Reed combo...
    "But it is imperative that you have a degree of ****iness. Bump-and-run coverage is my forte now. There's no mere mortal I fear. I am auspiciously euphoric." - Lester Hayes

MH_RAIDERS is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    There are three other guys I would cut before Stevie Brown. Again, what is the point of keeping so many returnees. Figures and Cartwright are horrible anyways. We are not going to get anything from these two bums. I don't believe this BS story between the coaches and Davis. Why wouldnt the coaches want Mitchell? Sounds stupid. There shouldn't even be a debate between these two. Why does Eugene keep making the team? A worthless safety and an even terrible player. The defense had 3 int's this presason, two by Stevie. Makes no sense why he got cut. Even cutting Joseph makes no sense especially seeing how well he played this preseason. The last three years he was invisible and yet, he kept making the team. Some head scratching moves by the Raiders.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    yep yep!

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

lserfoss is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MH_RAIDERS View Post
    There are three other guys I would cut before Stevie Brown. Again, what is the point of keeping so many returnees. Figures and Cartwright are horrible anyways. We are not going to get anything from these two bums. I don't believe this BS story between the coaches and Davis. Why wouldnt the coaches want Mitchell? Sounds stupid. There shouldn't even be a debate between these two. Why does Eugene keep making the team? A worthless safety and an even terrible player. The defense had 3 int's this presason, two by Stevie. Makes no sense why he got cut. Even cutting Joseph makes no sense especially seeing how well he played this preseason. The last three years he was invisible and yet, he kept making the team. Some head scratching moves by the Raiders.
    Hiram Eugene should be the story today. Look he might be a great guy but as an Nfl safety he wouldn't make any team except for us.

LivingLegendWFC is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Throw in Slade Norris and this defense could have been elite.

RaiderTantrum is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    ^^^He's great at getting ran over by Ronnie Brown and tossed aside by Mcgahee

The only highlight Eugene has is him getting posterized.

Chairman of the Board
    Who cares about our D. We have our "Messiah" the great playaaa Yamon Figurs. He will break all the GOAT-Jerry Rices records. We will outscore everyone. The teams nuts are in good hands with "Coach" Davis......
    In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King.......

No Quarterback with pick 5. Especially the noodle arm Bridgewater or Carr V2.0.......

MH_RAIDERS is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderTantrum View Post
    ^^^He's great at getting ran over by Ronnie Brown and tossed aside by Mcgahee

The only highlight Eugene has is him getting posterized.
    Seriously! and yet, he keeps making the team only in Raider land. He wouldnt even make another teams PS. Why? Oh, why does this guy keep making the team? What does Al see in him. The man has gone blind too.

RaiderTantrum is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Dam! our roster is depressing

Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingLegendWFC View Post
    Throw in Slade Norris and this defense could have been elite.
    There is only one thing I don't like about Colorado

Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmauke View Post
    The President.
    I thought he was merely a community organizer?
    There is only one thing I don't like about Colorado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information