Thread: What we learned from training camp

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Post What we learned from training camp

What we learned from training camp - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Things we learned from Camp 2010 at the Napa Marriott:

– The Raiders go into the season with zero doubt as to their starting quarterback. Jason Campbell is it, as proclaimed by Tom Cable the day camp opened.

Of course, JaMarcus Russell was the anointed starter last year, but every day was a referendum on his performance and work ethic.

– The offense belongs to Hue Jackson. He was finally allowed to talk to the media Thursday, but what he did on the field spoke far more than what he said in a 13-plus minute interview.

Jackson brought more electricity and made practice more interesting than any Raider coach since Jon Gruden.

– Distractions, by Raiders standards, are at the lowest rate in memory.

No fisticuffs between assistants or allegations of domestic assault. No disgruntled players, unless you count a concussed Luke Lawton, wondering why he didn’t get more snaps following a head injury. Exclusive franchise player Richard Seymour was the first man off the bus and even if that was a staged bit of symbolism, very little that went on in Napa suggested this was a team on the verge of imploding.

– Either the “competition” suggested by the coaches was a sham, or this group was extraordinary at determining its best players.

The depth chart looks the same now as it did in OTAs and minicamps, with injuries being the only wild card.

– Rolando McClain and Lamarr Houston had better be good right away.

They were starters from the moment they arrived, and both looked to be upgrades, although you never really know until real games begin.

– Camp Cable was not much different than Camp Kiffin, Camp Shell, Camp Callahan, Camp Gruden or any other camp in terms of violence at the line of scrimmage.

There was a live session of a dozen or so plays, and a goal line sequence, but as long as Al Davis owns the Raiders don’t expect the head coach to risk losing talent before a regular season game is played.

– Chaz Schilens simply cannot be relied upon as a big part of the offense based on his propensity for injury. Two foot surgeries, now an arthroscopic knee procedure. The Raiders are holding out hope he’ll be ready for Week 1, but that’s not the way to bet.

– Louis Murphy is far and away the Raiders’ best and most dangerous receiver _ and he still drops too many passes for a real level of comfort.

– Hope Zach Miller is in the best shape of his life. He’ll take more blows than Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent. It took Campbell about five seconds to discover Miller is his best option.

– Nnamdi Asomugha is the new Tim Brown in terms of speaking his mind and not concerning himself with what the owner thinks. He’s all Raider, and likes what he sees, but Asomugha makes so much money and has such status he can also say what he thinks and not worry about the ramifications.

– McClain is his own man. He goes his own way and seems to have a serene confidence about himself, while not having much interest in talking to reporters (no problem) or even signing autographs for fans who cheer his name (not a problem either, but not cool).

– Cable may have distanced himself from the direction of the offense, but he can’t help himself when he sees issues on the offensive line. When he does, Jim Michalczik steps aside.

– Tommy Kelly jumps offsides too often and it remains to be seen if he’s a nose tackle, but darned if he didn’t come into camp in the best shape of his life with what seems to be a sincere belief that he’s got to do better.

– Michael Bush remains the best option for steady yardage in the running game.

– Best looking crop of draft picks I can remember. McClain and Houston are instant starters. Judging offensive linemen is difficult in camp, but Veldheer at least earned a start at center and Bruce Campbell’s body and speed alone are worth a fourth-round pick. Jacoby Ford showed better receiving skills than advertised although slowed by a quad injury. Middle linebacker Travis Goethel looks like a keeper. Seventh-round picks Jeremy Ware and Stevie Brown both have legitimate shots to not only make the team, but play before the season is over.

– Shane Lechler and Sebastian Janikowski really don’t need to attend at all. OK, maybe a week, at most.

Coming later: What we didn’t learn from training camp.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Nice read. I wish he would get over the McClain thing. I could give a rats ass if he ever signs an autograph or talks to a reporter EVER, not to mention in 105 degree heat. Just tackle and pass cover and I am 110% behind him.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider Ran View Post
    Nice read. I wish he would get over the McClain thing. I could give a rats ass if he ever signs an autograph or talks to a reporter EVER, not to mention in 105 degree heat. Just tackle and pass cover and I am 110% behind him.
    Yes, when you consider what off the field issues that a young man could have, not signing autographs has to be right off the radar when it comes to behavor that warrants concern or even mentiioning.

I guess what I gathered from the article is that camp (as is the case always) is designed to keep players healthy and thus is not always a good measuring stick when it comes to trying to determine what a team will be able to do come game time. The two preseason games thus far have shown glimpses that this team is a far cry from last year's disaster. Though the game tomorrow will be the most telling in that the starters will be going longer and they will be playing a team much like themselves: a team that is moving in the right direction and hungry to go to the next level.

I just hope to see that BULLY on the field when the season starts. When they want to run, they can run and when they want to throw, they can throw. I would love to see an offense that can drive the ball down the throats of their opponents again and do at will. Thus far that bully has not taken to the field, though last preseason game, there was a glimpse of him in the first series.
    Last edited by signal; 08-27-2010 at 07:52 AM.

jtagg7754 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    – Tommy Kelly but darned if he didn’t come into camp in the best shape of his life with what seems to be a sincere belief that he’s got to do better.
    This is the only thing that is giving me hope w/ this bum. I just hope he finally does..... something this season besides take home a fat pay check.

jtagg7754 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Agreed. How well you sign your name doesn't determine how great of a player you are. Sure the fans want it and the media wants their interview but I'm glad all he's worried about is winning some damn games.

raiderroo is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Just get it done on the field.

Hall of Famer
    Good read, the whole McClain not signing autographs isnt a big deal. There are plenty of players that don't sign.

MH_RAIDERS is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    In my opinion Walter McFadden looks more like a keeper then Jeremy Ware. Ware could end up in the practice squad but McFadden is the one who could get significant playing time. Especially if Routt keeps playing like he has been for the last 4-5 years... AWFUL.

Thread Information