Thread: Veldheer on the fast track

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Post Veldheer on the fast track

Veldheer on the fast track - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Tom Cable is a lot like Bill Callahan when it comes to versatility on the offensive line.

They may not teach the same schemes, but both are of the opinion that having linemen who can switch positions in an instant not only stimulates their ability to learn, but helps the team in the long run.

It’s with that in mind that Jared Veldheer can put himself in position to be the tallest center (6-foot-8) to start an NFL game. A week after getting some snaps at left tackle, against Julius Peppers, no less, Veldheer will start against the 49ers Saturday in place of Samson Satele.

Cable told reporters Wednedsay Satele was questionable with an ankle injury, but he almost certainly won’t play. And it doesn’t really make a lot of sense to start veteran Chris Morris, when Cable can get an idea of whether it’s feasible to make Veldheer a starter as a rookie third-round draft pick out of Hillsdale.

“It’s two different worlds,” Veldheer said in a post-practice interview. “You just have to transition yourself, outside to inside. This week I’ve been able to get back into that inside world more. It will be fun on Saturday.”

The “different worlds” could also apply from Veldheer’s jump from small college star to NFL rookie, but Cable hasn’t seen him back down yet.

“The first thing you look for in a small school guy is, `Is he kind of fearful of competition?,’ ” Cable said. “That’s never once been the case on any day throughout camp.”

Cable said Veldheer has handled the mental challenges of the tackle-to-center switch “very well” and has had no setbacks.

More news, notes and quotes (as relayed by beat writer Steve Corkran):

– For anyone wondering whether perennial Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae could be in the Raiders’ plans, Cable said, “We’ve never had any discussions about that.”

– Cable hinted the Raiders would game plan more to put players in situations to make roster decisions easier, rather than devise a plan to beat the 49ers. The third regular season game typically is the one that’s a dress rehearsal for the opener. The fact that the two teams play in the regular season is also a factor.

“Because we’re playing them later we probably won’t show everything we normally would,” Cable said.

– Is there a role for linebacker Thomas Howard, or will the Raiders be looking to get something for him at the final cutdown day?

Cable, asked about Howard’s standing, said, “I think we’ll know more after we get through this one. I’m not trying to avoid the question. I just think that the way this game is set up and some of the things that well be doing defensively we’ll have a chance to see where he is at.”

Like, perhaps, put hoping Howard has a big enough game so that he can at least bring back a draft choice.

– Cable on whether Chaz Schilens could be ready for the opener: “I don’t know that yet. They’re telling us we can probably answer that question the first of next week.”

– Bruce Gradkowski, when asked about the young receiving corps, did the only sensible thing _ give them a public vote of confidence.

“I’m confident in all our receivers,” Gradkowski said. “They do a great job. I don’t know how many we’ll keep, but it’s always tough. . . . I’m proud o fthose guys and we’ve just got to keep going and finish this out right.”

– Hue Jackson, talking to the media? He jokingly took the podium today before walking away. Unless they’re serving him up Thursday as camp breaks, he’ll probably talk to the media for the first time in Alameda. The Raiders have taken advantage of vague league guidelines in the preseason which request reasonable access by not making him available at all. Once the regular season begins, they’re required to make Jackson available to the media on a regular basis or be subject to a fine.

– The Raiders hold their final practice of the Napa training camp Thursday at 8:30 a.m. and then get out of town. The Raider Nation Celebration will be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Frank Ogawa Plaza in downtown Oakland.

– According to my transcript, the first words out of Cable’s mouth were, “Where is McDonald? He’s just taking time off. He’s got David White disease.”

I don’t know about the David White thing, but I have felt “fatigued” lately.

KensaiKatai is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I stopped after...

Tom Cable is a lot like Bill Callahan..
    i really don't care what he says after that..he lost me.

Jerry Mc, the way you start your reports is mind boggling, i don't care how on point you are after that statement, i really don't. Good, bad, facts, no facts, i don't care..it's the way he plants seeds.

Thanks anyways though Mac. I'm just a grump when it comes to this guy Jerry. he's on some other ish..

Raiderwerewolf is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by KensaiKatai View Post
    I stopped after...

i really don't care what he says after that..he lost me.

Jerry Mc, the way you start your reports is mind boggling, i don't care how on point you are after that statement, i really don't. Good, bad, facts, no facts, i don't care..it's the way he plants seeds.

Thanks anyways though Mac. I'm just a grump when it comes to this guy Jerry. he's on some other ish..
    LMAo, your way too sensitive, he just said he is LIKE calahan in how he likes O-lineman to be able to play different positions, which is a fact. WOW, you are way too sensitive. Calm down man.

Hall of Famer
    Talk about baptism by fire. He has been playing all along the line during camp and now the rook is slated to start a preseason game at center no less. I think I would have felt a lot more comfortable with this if it were RT. That said, if the rook can pull it off, it will speak volumes as to his intelligence and possibly to a type of player who might prove invaluable to the Raiders.

I will be cheering for him. I just hope that Cable is not rushing things with this move.

raiders12111 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by signal View Post
    Talk about baptism by fire. He has been playing all along the line during camp and now the rook is slated to start a preseason game at center no less. I think I would have felt a lot more comfortable with this if it were RT. That said, if the rook can pull it off, it will speak volumes as to his intelligence and possibly to a type of player who might prove invaluable to the Raiders.

I will be cheering for him. I just hope that Cable is not rushing things with this move.
    Veldheer looked pretty good playing C against the Cowboys.. Granted it wasn't the starters but he has had some exposure.. Hoping B Campbell is progressing as well, but I have really high hopes for Veldheer.. Yeah he got beat on a couple plays against Peppers (one of which he was shepherding Peppers outside reasonably but Peppers swiped the ball with those ridiculously long arms of his), but the kid has promise. I hope he does really well. I'm probly too hard on Satele, but imo Satele plays soft

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raiders12111 View Post
    Veldheer looked pretty good playing C against the Cowboys.. Granted it wasn't the starters but he has had some exposure.. Hoping B Campbell is progressing as well, but I have really high hopes for Veldheer.. Yeah he got beat on a couple plays against Peppers (one of which he was shepherding Peppers outside reasonably but Peppers swiped the ball with those ridiculously long arms of his), but the kid has promise. I hope he does really well. I'm probly too hard on Satele, but imo Satele plays soft
    I am with you completely on Satele. He is a complete non-factor in the running game, and seems to lack the strength to contend with defensive lineman which are much bigger than him. In my books, he is the weakest link on the line. IF Veldheer can play low enough to get leverage he will be fine. But his height is actually a disadvantage to him, because if a defensive player can get under him and gain leverage, he will consistently be pushed back into the pocket. It will be interesting to see if his "short legs" allow him the ability to play low enough to play center. I really like the kid and the fact that Cable is moving him all over the place along the line, must mean that the coaching staff is also enamored with his skill set.

Dmac2thehouse is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7yAO61xbk]YouTube - Bill Callahan ~ Dumbest Team in America[/ame]

Hall of Famer
    – For anyone wondering whether perennial Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae could be in the Raiders’ plans, Cable said, “We’ve never had any discussions about that.”

^

WHY NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chairman of the Board
    I like what I see from Veldheer.

His versatility makes him an attractive candidate for this team - I sense he's already made the roster.

I've got the Network and I watch the games like "game tape" - rewind, slow-motion, etc. Veldheer has his moments, can challenge for a starting position, it's just a matter of time. It may not be by the start of the season, but ... .

Positive Waves, Raidies and Gents - Positive Waves!

"Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

Hall of Famer
    I have high hopes for this kid, but I wish that AD would stop drafting LT's in the third rounds and start drafting these guys in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.................................
    "If your going through HELL, keep going"
    -Winston Churchill-

chard is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    I have high hopes for this kid, but I wish that AD would stop drafting LT's in the third rounds and start drafting these guys in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.................................
    That worked real good with Stichcome, Collins, and Gallery

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chard View Post
    That worked real good with Stichcome, Collins, and Gallery
    AL Davis just has problems drafting LT period, don't matter any round

KensaiKatai is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwerewolf View Post
    LMAo, your way too sensitive, he just said he is LIKE calahan in how he likes O-lineman to be able to play different positions, which is a fact. WOW, you are way too sensitive. Calm down man.
    i understand that, but what you fail to realize is that jerry mc knows who and what he's comparing...there's plenty of coaches who have done that and to what extent did callahan do it to warrant that type of comparison to cable...hardly at all.. it's bullsh!t. sorry you can't see thru it.

If you could READ WHAT I WROTE I admitted that i'm sensitive when it comes to this dude jerry mc. his reports for years have been undermining and full of sh*t.

but i'm still quick to punch someone in the face when they disrespect me in person so i'm hardly a *b!tch*. for the most part, in my life, SENSITIVE leads to progress. be apathetic all you want, i won't say sh*t..but don't tell me who to like and how to act. thank you.

Chairman of the Board
    I was just reading something on NFL.com about Pouncey taking over the starting C job from Hartwig (possible trade?). Anyway, they asked Casey Hampton about Pouncey and he started with this about centers in general:

A lot of centers you play against are either quick and weak or they're strong and not quick.
    Satele obviously falls into the quick and (very) weak category while Morris is more strong and not quick.

Veldheer on the other hand has both the strength you want as well as the quickness. He just lacks the experience since he hasn't played there - except for H/S I believe which doesn't count for much. I bet he catches on fast.
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

Thread Information