Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Veldheer can supplant Satele?

Hall of Famer

Do you think Veldheer can supplant Satele?

Just got done reading the report from JMac

" Ė Cable ruled Satele out of the 49ers game, but wasnít willing to anoint Chris Morris as the starter Saturday night. Itís an interesting decision for Cable, given that third-round pick Jared Veldheer was the backup left tackle yet has also been touted as a possible center".

Heat arrives just in time - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

As you guys know the NFL is all about opportunities, and this could be the opportunity that allows Veldheer to become the starting center. I think that if Cable will not commit to Morris being the starting center that there is a POSSIBILITY that Veldheer could possibly start the entire game at center.

Veldheer starting at center for the entire game against the Whiners would be the perfect test for him, in that the Whiners run a 3-4 and we play in a division with opponents that all run the 3-4.

They say players should not lose their starting jobs to injury but come on, You have seen Satele's play throughout the preseason. He allows way to much push in the middle of the pocket. So far off the type of my head he has allowed about 2 sacks and caused a INT (Tommie Harris hitting Campbell) with the pressure he allows.

The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal for the season and I just want to see what Veldheer can do against a very good DEF in the Whiners.

what do you guys think? Do you think Veldheer can supplant Satele with a stellar showing in preseason games 3 and 4?

THE AUTUMNWIND is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    satele is smallish and imho a big liability, do i think the big rookie is less of a liability??? i don't know....

but sombode better supplant satele

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    It's kind of hard to say IMO because I've only seen Veldheer play two pre-season games & didn't have the opportunity to watch any of his college games or much of his highlights while at Hillsdale.

From the two pre-season games that I've watched, it seems like he is perfect for our running-game in his ability not only to give us a better run-blocker up-front @ the center position, but also to get to the 2nd/3rd level's of the defense & get a block downfield.

If he can make all the line call's & is good enough in pass-protection, he could give a push to Satele, but I still don't see him taking the job away because of inexperience @ the center position.

UglyDuck is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    didn't have the opportunity to watch any of his college games or much of his highlights while at Hillsdale.
    The Hillsdale games were so small, nobody had a video camera.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDuck View Post
    The Hillsdale games were so small, nobody had a video camera.
    I believe the guy with the video camera did not have any batteries or he did not have a charger
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

THE AUTUMNWIND is offline Banned
    All-Pro
    veldeheer got exposed against peppers, if peppers is in the top 5 percentile of all DE's in the league what percentage of DE's in the league would expose veldeheer in a season game?

i bet it's at least 15,% the top 15% of nfl DE's would expose and molest veldeheer? do you agree or disagree?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by THE AUTUMNWIND View Post
    veldeheer got exposed against peppers, if peppers is in the top 5 percentile of all DE's in the league what percentage of DE's in the league would expose veldeheer in a season game?

i bet it's at least 15,% the top 15% of nfl DE's would expose and molest veldeheer? do you agree or disagree?
    I don't know percentage wise, but i do agree that Veldheer isn't ready to be a LT in this league just yet.

Hall of Famer
    I can't wait to find out if Veldheer can handle the job. The most difficult part will be whether or not he can make the protection calls at the line of scrimmage. Hopefully Veldheer can do a better job of getting to the second level and maybe knock Willis on his bottom a few times. Willis is a great linebacker and that will be a tough job.

Last edited by Mytruckhercar; 08-26-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

Winston Churchill

raiderroo is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    This is a perfect thread for

Time Will Tell!

Buy really its possible. If he gets the chance to start and shows he can handle it then there is a good chance it could happen.

Hall of Famer
    I don't know about at center, but I saw a thread that proclaimed Veldheer ready to start at LT and after re-watching the game (thanks SD21!) I couldn't disagree more. Maybe at some point this season, but he is not ready right now.

Now, as far as center? I don't know...haven't seen enough. I would be REALLY surprised though. Personally I think the staff is still debating whether he's even supplanted Morris at this point, and Satele is locked in if healthy. But I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV5490 View Post
    Possibly more concerning is the fact that he's a pro athlete wearing a Balance Bracelet. I'm not sure anyone stupid enough to fall for that has the brains to lead a professional team.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshotartist View Post
    We can post whatever we want to post on the board but the game is played on the field.

Hall of Famer
    No, he can not and will not supplant satele as a rookie. The center calls the protections, he would get campbell killed. This is also why rb's often don't start as rooks or are situational as they have to pick up biltzers.

Satele is our starter and I forget who backs him up...

Cable wants to try Veldheer everywhere as he does wanna have his best 5 lineman on the field, but he is in no danger of breaking the starting lineup as a center.

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Hall of Famer
    As a non believer in Henderson......I want Veldheer or Campbell to beat out Henderson badly...Could he beat out Satele.......With time, I think so.......Satele is small and gets pushed around like a dish rag.....but at the same time he's experieced and knows the position, has a smooth exchange with the QB....He makes the line calls......Physically Satele isn't up to the job, but mentally is where his edge is for the most part....Veldheer meanwhile has a hill to climb, which he very well may......but lets not forget---our whole O-line stinks--the best player on thing has only achieved mediocrity, though fans wish to bestow pro bowls on the over payed guard. We have four positions that are in need of upgrade, replacing Satele is only a step in fixing the O-line....

Time will tell

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

Hall of Famer
    I'd like to see Veldheer get the start at C and Campbell at RG! I know depending on rookies is not the best idea but atleast physically they are both way ahead of Satele and Calrisle

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    I don't know percentage wise, but i do agree that Veldheer isn't ready to be a LT in this league just yet.
    Off topic a bit but I am not sure that Super Mario will ever be ready to be an NFL quality LT. He just kind of won the job by default from good ole Kwame!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Mikey View Post
    Off topic a bit but I am not sure that Super Mario will ever be ready to be an NFL quality LT. He just kind of won the job by default from good ole Kwame!
    True, but a case can be made with the absence of Gallery last year when Henderson was going into his firt full-year as a starter. He's looked better in pass-protection these last two games in pre-season if that's saying much with not much blitzing from opposing defenses.

IMO, as long as Henderson can do better in pass-protection & Gallery can stay healthy, my worries don't lie on the left side of the o-line, my worries are from Center to RT.

#1 worst lineman - Carlisle

#2 - Satele

#3 - Walker

#4 - Henderson

#5 - Gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information