Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notes & quotes from Wednesday’s practice

RaiderMac is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Post Notes & quotes from Wednesday’s practice

Notes and quotes from Wednesday’s practice - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Kyle Boller’s magical mystery tour through Raiders training camp just keeps getting better and better.

He arrived at training camp as the No. 4 quarterback, well behind backup candidates Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye, who combined for seven starts last season, and just hopeful of getting some positive plays on film.

Now, he is making steady progress toward earning a spot on Oakland’s 53-man roster through his impressive showing in practice and the Raiders first exhibition game, as well injuries to Gradkowski and Frye.

“He’s doing well,” Raiders coach Tom Cable said after Wednesday’s practice. “The game against Dallas speaks for itself, and he’ll get another opportunity this weekend to see if he can consistently do that.”

This weekend, as in Saturday night against the Chicago Bears in the second of four exhibition games.

Jason Campbell will start the game and give way to Boller at some point in the first half.

With Frye and Gradkowski not expected to play, Boller can count on extensive playing time once again. He made the most of it against the Cowboys.

“I’ve been in this business long enough to know that you’re a play away from being in there, so I’ve always taken the approach to prepare like a starter,” Boller said. “I watch the same amount of tape. You have to be ready when you’re opportunity comes.

“It seems as the years go on, more and more guys get hurt, unfortunately. That’s why you have to take advantage when opportunities present themselves.”

Boller also benefits from the year he spent with Raiders offensive coordinator Hue Jackson when they were with the Baltimore Ravens.

“It does help because there is a confidence for Kyle, and he understands because he’s been coached by that guy,” Cable said. “He understands what he’s looking for, what he’s asking for. That helps him being able to step in and have some confidence right from the beginning.”

– Cable said fourth-string quarterback Colt Brennan “probably” will play against the Bears. Brennan didn’t get an opportunity to play against the Cowboys in Oakland’s first exhibition game.

– Cable heaped high praise upon strong-side (“Sam) linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. In the process, he disparaged the likes of Ricky Brown and Sam Williams.

“The thing I am most excited about is Dallas ran three power plays in there and, for the first time since I have been around here, our ‘Sam’ backer stood up the fullback all three times. That’s what he brings. He understands what you’re asking him to do; plays it the way you’re asking.”

The Raiders traded for Wimbley during the offseason and gave up almost nothing to the Cleveland Browns for a first-round draft pick five years ago.

– Frye on Wednesday underwent a surgical procedure to repair damage to his right (throwing) wrist. Cable said he won’t know how long Frye is out for until he rejoins the team in the next few days.

– Running back Darren McFadden (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday and won’t play against the Chicago Bears on Saturday night, Cable said.

On the bright side, McFadden is making great progress toward a return to the practice field for the first time since Aug. 7.

“He is much, much improved,” Cable said, “and he is pretty close to being ready to go but, again, I am probably going to lean toward being more protective now.”

– Wide receiver Chaz Schilens (foot), right offensive tackle Langston Walker (rest) and cornerback Chris Johnson (hamstring) also missed practice.

Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey dressed for practice and participated in some drills, though not at full capacity. He didn’t run any routes and spent most of his time watching his teammates from a distance.

Cable dismissed the suggestion that Heyward-Bey is nursing a sore hamstring. However, Heyward-Bey was sporting a sizable wrap that extended from below his left knee and somewhere up around the thigh region.

It seemed rather apparent in practice Monday that Heyward-Bey tweaked his hamstring. Yet, Cable says Heyward-Bey’s lack of activity the past two days owes more to “fatigue.”

– Jackson was at his animated best during several drills Wednesday. At one point, he ordered backup offensive lineman Khalif Barnes off the field for a false-start penalty.

“Get me another left tackle,” Jackson said. “We ain’t doing that no more. We can’t be jumping offside. You do, you’re out of there.”

– Based upon absolutely nothing, other than 15 years covering the Raiders and having a feel for how managing general partner Al Davis operates: Look for the Raiders to sign veteran wide receiver Torry Holt now that he is gone from the New England Patriots.

The Raiders need a veteran presence, several of their receivers have been in and out of the lineup because of nagging injuries and a team never can have enough proven playmakers.

Remember, Davis has a long history of signing receivers with comparable resumes to that of Holt – James Lofton, Andre Rison, Jerry Rice and Javon Walker come to mind.

– Speaking of Davis, he was at practice Wednesday for the sixth time since camp opened July 29. Hue Jackson broke from practice for about a 10-minute one-on-one with Davis.

It was unclear who was doing most of the talking. Davis spoke from a golf cart, while Jackson took a knee on the grass between the two fields.

– Rookie safety Stevie Brown intercepted yet another pass in what has become an all too common occurrence at camp.

Brown caught the carom off the hands of fullback Alex Daniels’ hands and the hands of at least two other players. Brown also intercepted a pass on the final play of the Cowboys game.

– Rookie cornerback Jeremy Ware worked with the first-team in the nickel package as part of Cable’s plan to get a look at the younger players against seasoned players.

– Linebacker Sam Williams (concussion) said he expects to be back at practice within the next few days.

“I’m still a little cloudy, but I’m getting there,” Williams said in reference to his head. He added that he hasn’t passed the required tests necessary for his return.

– Backup tight end Brandon Myers was unable to finish practice because of a pass that hit off the end of one of his fingers. Cable said Myers was sent for an X-ray. No word on the findings just yet.

– Observations from one-on-one drills between offensive and defensive linemen: rookie Jared Veldheer held off defensive end Matt Shaughnessy on back-to-back snaps.

Defensive end Trevor Scott abused right offensive tackle Erik Pears on back-to-back plays, one to the outside, one on the inside.

Defensive tackle William Joseph got the better of rookie guard Bruce Campbell on one play, but he got neutralized the second go round.

Left guard Robert Gallery stonewalled defensive tackle Richard Seymour on back-to-back plays.

Or, as Cable is fond of saying, that’s just another example of “iron sharpens iron.”

– Tight end Zach Miller was a one-man wrecking crew during passing drills, as usual.

He caught passes for touchdowns three times in a short span, one for 30 yards from Campbell, two others from Boller.

Safety Jerome Boyd, safety Stevie Brown and linebacker David Nixon were victimized, in order.

You get the sense that the only things that can prevent Miller from improving upon last season’s impressive stats are injuries and a steady diet of double teams (bracket coverage).

Chairman of the Board
    No comment.
    "Be on time, pay attention, and play like Hell when I tell you to" - John Madden's three and only rules.

Mahalo Blackhole John

Dmac2thehouse is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Good stuff

Go Wimbley, I thought he was just another tweener linebacker/DE, but Cable has had high praise of him in camp, maybe he will be a solid LB for us.

Hue Jackson hopefully will get the offfensive line more mentally tough with his intensity in practice, bring me in another left tackle

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMac View Post
    Notes and quotes from Wednesday’s practice - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Kyle Boller’s magical mystery tour through Raiders training camp just keeps getting better and better.

He arrived at training camp as the No. 4 quarterback, well behind backup candidates Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye, who combined for seven starts last season, and just hopeful of getting some positive plays on film.

Now, he is making steady progress toward earning a spot on Oakland’s 53-man roster through his impressive showing in practice and the Raiders first exhibition game, as well injuries to Gradkowski and Frye.

“He’s doing well,” Raiders coach Tom Cable said after Wednesday’s practice. “The game against Dallas speaks for itself, and he’ll get another opportunity this weekend to see if he can consistently do that.”

This weekend, as in Saturday night against the Chicago Bears in the second of four exhibition games.

Jason Campbell will start the game and give way to Boller at some point in the first half.

With Frye and Gradkowski not expected to play, Boller can count on extensive playing time once again. He made the most of it against the Cowboys.

“I’ve been in this business long enough to know that you’re a play away from being in there, so I’ve always taken the approach to prepare like a starter,” Boller said. “I watch the same amount of tape. You have to be ready when you’re opportunity comes.

“It seems as the years go on, more and more guys get hurt, unfortunately. That’s why you have to take advantage when opportunities present themselves.”

Boller also benefits from the year he spent with Raiders offensive coordinator Hue Jackson when they were with the Baltimore Ravens.

“It does help because there is a confidence for Kyle, and he understands because he’s been coached by that guy,” Cable said. “He understands what he’s looking for, what he’s asking for. That helps him being able to step in and have some confidence right from the beginning.”

– Cable said fourth-string quarterback Colt Brennan “probably” will play against the Bears. Brennan didn’t get an opportunity to play against the Cowboys in Oakland’s first exhibition game.

– Cable heaped high praise upon strong-side (“Sam) linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. In the process, he disparaged the likes of Ricky Brown and Sam Williams.

“The thing I am most excited about is Dallas ran three power plays in there and, for the first time since I have been around here, our ‘Sam’ backer stood up the fullback all three times. That’s what he brings. He understands what you’re asking him to do; plays it the way you’re asking.”

The Raiders traded for Wimbley during the offseason and gave up almost nothing to the Cleveland Browns for a first-round draft pick five years ago.

– Frye on Wednesday underwent a surgical procedure to repair damage to his right (throwing) wrist. Cable said he won’t know how long Frye is out for until he rejoins the team in the next few days.

– Running back Darren McFadden (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday and won’t play against the Chicago Bears on Saturday night, Cable said.

On the bright side, McFadden is making great progress toward a return to the practice field for the first time since Aug. 7.

“He is much, much improved,” Cable said, “and he is pretty close to being ready to go but, again, I am probably going to lean toward being more protective now.”

– Wide receiver Chaz Schilens (foot), right offensive tackle Langston Walker (rest) and cornerback Chris Johnson (hamstring) also missed practice.

Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey dressed for practice and participated in some drills, though not at full capacity. He didn’t run any routes and spent most of his time watching his teammates from a distance.

Cable dismissed the suggestion that Heyward-Bey is nursing a sore hamstring. However, Heyward-Bey was sporting a sizable wrap that extended from below his left knee and somewhere up around the thigh region.

It seemed rather apparent in practice Monday that Heyward-Bey tweaked his hamstring. Yet, Cable says Heyward-Bey’s lack of activity the past two days owes more to “fatigue.”

– Jackson was at his animated best during several drills Wednesday. At one point, he ordered backup offensive lineman Khalif Barnes off the field for a false-start penalty.

“Get me another left tackle,” Jackson said. “We ain’t doing that no more. We can’t be jumping offside. You do, you’re out of there.”

– Based upon absolutely nothing, other than 15 years covering the Raiders and having a feel for how managing general partner Al Davis operates: Look for the Raiders to sign veteran wide receiver Torry Holt now that he is gone from the New England Patriots.

The Raiders need a veteran presence, several of their receivers have been in and out of the lineup because of nagging injuries and a team never can have enough proven playmakers.

Remember, Davis has a long history of signing receivers with comparable resumes to that of Holt – James Lofton, Andre Rison, Jerry Rice and Javon Walker come to mind.

– Speaking of Davis, he was at practice Wednesday for the sixth time since camp opened July 29. Hue Jackson broke from practice for about a 10-minute one-on-one with Davis.

It was unclear who was doing most of the talking. Davis spoke from a golf cart, while Jackson took a knee on the grass between the two fields.

– Rookie safety Stevie Brown intercepted yet another pass in what has become an all too common occurrence at camp.

Brown caught the carom off the hands of fullback Alex Daniels’ hands and the hands of at least two other players. Brown also intercepted a pass on the final play of the Cowboys game.

– Rookie cornerback Jeremy Ware worked with the first-team in the nickel package as part of Cable’s plan to get a look at the younger players against seasoned players.

– Linebacker Sam Williams (concussion) said he expects to be back at practice within the next few days.

“I’m still a little cloudy, but I’m getting there,” Williams said in reference to his head. He added that he hasn’t passed the required tests necessary for his return.

– Backup tight end Brandon Myers was unable to finish practice because of a pass that hit off the end of one of his fingers. Cable said Myers was sent for an X-ray. No word on the findings just yet.

– Observations from one-on-one drills between offensive and defensive linemen: rookie Jared Veldheer held off defensive end Matt Shaughnessy on back-to-back snaps.

Defensive end Trevor Scott abused right offensive tackle Erik Pears on back-to-back plays, one to the outside, one on the inside.

Defensive tackle William Joseph got the better of rookie guard Bruce Campbell on one play, but he got neutralized the second go round.

Left guard Robert Gallery stonewalled defensive tackle Richard Seymour on back-to-back plays.

Or, as Cable is fond of saying, that’s just another example of “iron sharpens iron.”

– Tight end Zach Miller was a one-man wrecking crew during passing drills, as usual.

He caught passes for touchdowns three times in a short span, one for 30 yards from Campbell, two others from Boller.

Safety Jerome Boyd, safety Stevie Brown and linebacker David Nixon were victimized, in order.

You get the sense that the only things that can prevent Miller from improving upon last season’s impressive stats are injuries and a steady diet of double teams (bracket coverage).
    Thanks, good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeinrichmond View Post
    I just hope the Raiders win a superbowl before the return of Jesus. All I can do is hope.
    "Davis was one of the greatest coaches I have ever observed... A truly great coach. Had he remained in coaching, he would be considered one of the greatest of all time". - Bill Walsh

Dmac2thehouse is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I give Tory Holt a look, he's still better than DHB and Chaz is always hurt

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac2thehouse View Post
    Good stuff

Go Wimbley, I thought he was just another tweener linebacker/DE, but Cable has had high praise of him in camp, maybe he will be a solid LB for us.

Hue Jackson hopefully will get the offfensive line more mentally tough with his intensity in practice, bring me in another left tackle
    My concerns about Wimbley have been the same, this is a bit encouraging..+1 on your hopes for Hue....

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

hmmm! is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    hugh jackson will be the best acquisition we have had in a decade.

speaking of false starts, i replayed veldheer's false start about 9 times and still cant find what he did. granted, the cowboys (awful) feed only cut to the play a second or two before the snap so he may have moved and it was a horse**** late whistle but i seriously doubt it. cable's expression after the penalty was pretty telling though. he looked mightily confused like u could read his mind "WHAT??? jared did what???". this guy will be starting VERY soon i imagine...

Hall of Famer
    Would have loved to go after Holt prior to his injury and prior to him getting picked up by New England. Who knows how long he'll be out with his knee injury, but even if he is able to play sometime this season, I'm sure it's going to be with a Super Bowl contending team. He'll probably go to the Vikings if anything, or could decide to hang em up.

Spadesy is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by raidermac View Post
    – jackson was at his animated best during several drills wednesday. At one point, he ordered backup offensive lineman khalif barnes off the field for a false-start penalty.

“get me another left tackle,” jackson said. “we ain’t doing that no more. We can’t be jumping offside. You do, you’re out of there.”
    Awesome. Absolutely ****ing awesome.

hmmm! is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    torry holt's skill set when he was young was identical to DHB's now. there is probably not a better comparison as far as height/weight/speed. ive always been anti-bandaid players for this team but holt could be the exception. assuming he would actually take pride in working with DHB and not be a jeff garcia...

Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm! View Post
    torry holt's skill set when he was young was identical to DHB's now. there is probably not a better comparison as far as height/weight/speed. ive always been anti-bandaid players for this team but holt could be the exception. assuming he would actually take pride in working with DHB and not be a jeff garcia...
    well said! agree.

cheapshotartist is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Thanks 4 the 411.

Raiderwerewolf is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    That comment about Wimbley just shows how overrated Howard was by the fans here.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Thanks Raider Mac. I would be fine with Tory Holt since our WR corps can not stay healthy. It is bad enought that we have have questionable WR corp, but questionable and always injured is not good at all. We should have just given TO cash and called it a day when we had a chance early on..Hindsight is a wonderful thing
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/groups/house-thrills-tailgating-crew.html

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwerewolf View Post
    That comment about Wimbley just shows how overrated Howard was by the fans here.
    But they were the Law Firm.
    PIRATE GUY I'M IN
    2014 OAKLAND RAIDERS: BUILDING THE FUTURE ONE PIECE AT A TIME

"Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon." John Madden
    Join our Social Group: House of Thrills Tailgating Crew. Post your pics. Tell us your experiences.
    http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/group.php?groupid=10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information