Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raiders canít get air attack off ground

RAIDERS64 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer

Raiders canít get air attack off ground

Spadesy is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Not a good feeling reading that, not at all. Gotta get that confidence up and improve. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but I would like to hear about more improvement and progression at this point, but we still have time, so I won't freak out. Thanks for posting, cheers dude.

Hall of Famer
    Nobody will be more irritated than me if we go into next offseason and spend our our 2nd rd pick (we have no 1st) on a fukking WR........Having no 1st rd pick further neccesitates that Veldeer and B Campbell pan out......If at all possible I'd like to see that 2nd rd pick bring us Stefan Wisnewski......

The Iconoclastic Raider in T-town

Truth1 is offline Limited Membership
    Bench Warmer
    With Campbell at the helm, the passing attack is going to be average at best. Why are they so stuck with him as the starter? Why isn't or wasn't an open competition?

The WRs seem to have alot of speed though.

Hall of Famer
    Not at all important, but just funny. The article mentioned that "children and girlfriends were in attendance."

I thought it was funny.
    R.I.P. Stacey Toran, Marquise Cooper

Hall of Famer
    If Jerry had written an article talking about how great they were doing, people would be stepping all over each other on this board trying to downplay it. But, bad news is always taken as absolute gospel.

Bad news=True

Good news=Time will tell
    "Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon."-John Madden

Spadesy is offline Limited Membership
    Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Favre=Picks View Post
    If Jerry had written an article talking about how great they were doing, people would be stepping all over each other on this board trying to downplay it. But, bad news is always taken as absolute gospel.

Bad news=True

Good news=Time will tell
    7 years of losing etc etc, it's my right as a fan yadda yadda. The skull was a nice touch, rep.

Chairman of the Board
    Blog Entries
    same jerry mac who told us how mcfadden was the second coming of super man. He is a reporter a good reporter but i take his opinion on such football things with agrain of salt. Go look at his reporting last year, it was all on how grad was really struggle one hopping balls etc.. I by no means think our passing game is great. But again I am not looking to Jerry Mac as the tell all.
    "Darth Vader is a punk compared to Al Davis," Hunter S Thompson

vegasraider26 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    This offense looked like GARBAGE against Dallas and still looks like f*cking GARBAGE in training camp. This offense is the ONLY reason why I can see this being ANOTHER losing season. We all know the defense is gonna be very and I mean VERY solid even against the top offenses in this league. But this piss poor excuse for an offense is going to be our downfall this year............AS USUAL. For the past 7-8 years we have FAILED to field a decent competitive offense and we have an average of 4 wins over that span as a result. It's ALWAYS the same story with the Oakland Raiders, our WRs f*cking suck, our QBs have been below average and our O-line has been BEYOND pathetic.

This year brings a new QB with pretty good accuracy, but we STILL have a sloppy O-line with aging players and guys who should NOT be starting on an O-line at the NFL level (Satele and Walker), on top of that, we STILL have below average WRs who can't run routes correctly, can't make big plays and drop TONS of balls. Even with a new QB and a new offensive coordinator with new offensive scheme, it's gonna be the same old bull$hit.

The only thing we can hope for is that this defense is good enough to win most of the games for us this year because god knows we're not gonna get much f*cking help from this piece of $hit offense.

traumA is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Trade for Mankins, sign Plaxico. Not realistic, but damn would it help.

Hall of Famer
    I think that the jury's still out on the passing game but there were a few "oh, no" moments -- Campbell missed short on two long balls and went wide on another. And, his two primary hookups were with Miller and Murphy -- new year, same story. I gotta believe that, especially after watching the Raiders first offensive play, when DHB just kinda stood there and waited for the ball instead of going after it, that perhaps he and Schilens were unable to get open?

Another way to look at it is this: this was the Raiders first time together, DC, offensive line and QB, and, in many ways, they're a completely new team. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have been playing together for a few years, are comfortable and experienced with Romo and they already have one preseason game under their belt. As much as the "glass is half empty" side of me wants to start throwing the baby out with the bath-water, there was a few things going against them on Thursday. Let them get tuned up a bit and figure out each other's rhythms when they're playing with live amo, and then we can bag on them.

KensaiKatai is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    I've been saying since the beginning we have a top 5 defense this year. Of course it's going to be tough for a NEW offense to get their timing down so soon. Lest not forgot we don't have two of our biggest weapons out there. WTF are people expecting? If anything this will only raise the standard of the players on offense and better prepare them for when they play lesser defenses, as a majority of NFL teams will be, given they don't give up on the drop of a dime as so many of this fan-base seem to do. Patience people, this includes you Jerry Mc. You've gotten a bit better with your writing, but your self-indulgence is still a bit too transparent.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by speedkills View Post
    same jerry mac who told us how mcfadden was the second coming of super man. He is a reporter a good reporter but i take his opinion on such football things with agrain of salt. Go look at his reporting last year, it was all on how grad was really struggle one hopping balls etc.. I by no means think our passing game is great. But again I am not looking to Jerry Mac as the tell all.
    Jerry Mac is right waaaaayyy more often than he's wrong on stuff like that. The vast majority of the stuff fans on this forum flip out about come game time, Jerry will have already covered in the preseason. He was very clear about JaMarcus Russell's struggles in training camp last year, and he was vilified on this forum for it.

He's not right all the time for sure, but with regard to McFadden, he's usually pretty careful to state that he looks great in no contact drills but that it's very hard to predict his performance without real contact. Same with the offensive line.

Poor passing offense performance in 7-on-7 drills is usually a pretty accurate indicator of poor performance come game time. The offense is at such an advantage in these scenarios that most good teams can go the whole drill with few or no balls hitting the ground.

Really it's just Occam's Razor. Take a team like the Cleveland Browns that no one here is a fan of, and that like us had a horrible WR group (it was still better than ours) and a bad offensive line. Does anyone here believe that replacing Brady Quinn with Jason Campbell would, by itself, make Cleveland a respectable offense? I don't.

We're returning league-worst WR and OL units virtually unchanged. It'll require some time and patience to sort those out. Say what you want about Jerry Mac, but at the end of the day his general team assessments over the last few years have been FAR more accurate than the people around here, who don't have the access Jerry has, that have been predicting playoffs and 10+ win seasons.

Hall of Famer
    growing pains my friends. I just cant understand why people expect this offense to be hitting on all cylinders when J. Campbell has only been with the Org for what 3 months and some change now?

Give it time guys. Stop looking for quick fixes and the team to be the Colts.

I think a lot of people are just anxious for the season to start and for the Passing game to be flawless. Sorry but thats not happening.

give the O time to gel, timing etc.

I for one will be patient.

Hall of Famer
    I think most on this forum knew that the offense would not be the strength of this team. This offseason the team made moves to improve the run defense and indications are that it has been fixed. As for the weak air attack, well, it does take time for a QB to develop chemistry with his targets, especially when most of his targets at WR are very raw and still learning their positions. I am not pleased with the reports coming out of camp, but still hold out hope that through the rest of camp and during the season the air attack will show development.

I just hope that the air attack can develop enough so that defenses will have to play the Raider offense honestly. Last year, teams simply came in and stacked the box, daring the Raiders to throw because they were only concerned with the running game. If the Raiders are to be successful this year, the offense must be able to take advantage of any team that comes in and approaches our offense as one dimensional. If not, our running game will also suffer.

Of course, it is still early and with so many young and new players in the mix, the potential for growth in the air attack is there. No, not a great start, but at the same time, the variables are such that it does offer up hope that the tide may change with more time and familiarity.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information