Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Sick of the "we cant develop a QB" Talk

  1. #1
    Jacoby Ford's Avatar
    Jacoby Ford is offline
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    567

    Sick of the "we cant develop a QB" Talk

    Im sick of the we cant develop a QB talk..

    I think that is bs!

    If Al drafts a QB who has A SOLID work ethic rather than drafting intangibles I don't see how we cant develop one??

    It takes good coaching and WORK ethic to develop... not some FATASS money chasing freak who could throw a balll from his ass..

    This isnt a anti jamarcus thread, but im just saying AL needs to draft a rolando mcClain type qb where he is a complete football junkie and works hard to get better

  2. #2
    RaiderInSD21's Avatar
    RaiderInSD21 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,586
    Agreed, if we were to draft a 1st round QB again we'd actually have the perfect situation for a rookie QB w/ Hue Jackson & Hackett on board. Jackson has helped develop Palmer & Flacco while Hackett has helped develop Montana & Gannon.

    People can point at all the past QB draft failures in Marc Wilson, Marinovich & Russell but they all shared something similar.. none of them actually loved the game. Wilson originally wanted to play baseball, Marinovich was a nutcase, and Russell had no work ethic here.

    But for now, I'm on board w/ Campbell.

  3. #3
    D-Tre's Avatar
    D-Tre is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,690
    Quit dreaming guy.

  4. #4
    Spottie's Avatar
    Spottie is offline Limited Membership
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    near Frankfurt/Main (Germany)
    Posts
    833
    The problem goes far, faaaaar beyond the draftee's work ethic.

    It has to do with changing coaches like underwear, hence changing philosophies almost equally as often, not giving coaches enough room to have their imprint on the QB and so on and so forth.

    I agree with Al on a lot of things, but his personel decisions as far as the coaching staff goes are usually not very benefitial for the team in the long run.

    Stability is T-H-E single most important thing to a QB's development. (See: Aikman, Troy; Manning, Peyton; Brady, Tom)

  5. #5
    blackbishop is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    387
    Russell never had a chance - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

    Ill add a couple of more. Please disagree if you want.

    No oline
    No running game
    hurt or crappy receivers
    no run defense

  6. #6
    Raiderwerewolf is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Zero Gravity
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    Russell never had a chance - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

    Ill add a couple of more. Please disagree if you want.

    No oline
    No running game
    hurt or crappy receivers
    no run defense
    HUH, lots Bs ASSUMPTIONS on Jerry macs Blog right there. Was he there? How does he know what guidance he was and not given?

    As for the online reciever, argument, all top picks start on bad teams, troy aikman was 1-15 his first year, that in no way excuses such regression when a career backup and comes in with the same team and out plays you ten fold.

  7. #7
    Hungary87's Avatar
    Hungary87 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    3,165
    Whoa, I just can't believe Randy Moss himself is coming on here talking about the Raiders developing talent. Doesn't the phrase "something fishy" ring a bell? Moss, what did you ever to help Raiders QBs, alligator arms?

    man, the nerve of some people....

  8. #8
    blackbishop is offline Limited Membership
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderwerewolf View Post
    HUH, lots Bs ASSUMPTIONS on Jerry macs Blog right there. Was he there? How does he know what guidance he was and not given?

    As for the online reciever, argument, all top picks start on bad teams, troy aikman was 1-15 his first year, that in no way excuses such regression when a career backup and comes in with the same team and out plays you ten fold.
    There is a reason grads could not stay on the field. I will let you think about it for a bit.

    And as to the receivers? Schilens did not play til russell was benched. Murphy and DHB come on. Watkins?

    Also, grads had ONE QUARTER of decent play otherwise he was decidedly mediocre.

  9. #9
    RaiderInSD21's Avatar
    RaiderInSD21 is offline
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,586
    Look, the situation around Russell was bad, but even if the Raiders put a good OL & WR's around him he was never going to succeed. When you're throwing swing passes at RB's feet, there's no way you can ever become a good QB in this league..

  10. #10
    stork44's Avatar
    stork44 is offline


    2004
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Im sick of the we cant develop a QB talk..

    I think that is bs!

    If Al drafts a QB who has A SOLID work ethic rather than drafting intangibles I don't see how we cant develop one??

    It takes good coaching and WORK ethic to develop... not some FATASS money chasing freak who could throw a balll from his ass..

    This isnt a anti jamarcus thread, but im just saying AL needs to draft a rolando mcClain type qb where he is a complete football junkie and works hard to get better

  11. #11
    Strangebrew's Avatar
    Strangebrew is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,219
    While I think we could develop a QB, I also think he'd have to be the perfect pick. By that I mean that he'd have to have the work ethic of a Rich Gannon to make it here.

    The team's history on this matter is plain as day. We do better when we bring in a veteran that fits our system. Snake is the only QB we ever drafted who won a SB. No, he didn't have the work ethic of Rich Gannon but that was 30 years ago (and that makes me feel really old).

  12. #12
    Raiderwerewolf is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Zero Gravity
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop View Post
    There is a reason grads could not stay on the field. I will let you think about it for a bit.

    And as to the receivers? Schilens did not play til russell was benched. Murphy and DHB come on. Watkins?

    Also, grads had ONE QUARTER of decent play otherwise he was decidedly mediocre.
    Russell came in after grads went down with Schillens starting and was just as bad.

    I know there is a reason Grads couldn't stay on the field, doesnt change the fact Russell was and is Garbage even compared to Grads.

    Grads Mediocre was ten times better then Russell incompetence, I'll let you think about that.

    Sick of the stupid russell excuses, watch film.

    Nothing fixes laziness, not caring. None of that changes the fact the most important QB skills Russell lacked. Bad footwork, No pocket awareness, locked unto one receiver, threw too late, telegraphing passes, inaccurate, too slow out of cadence allowing defenses to tee off, didn't learn the playbook, etc.....

  13. #13
    madstork's Avatar
    madstork is offline

    2009
    Raiderfans.net
    Member Sponsor

    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,751
    People think the Raiders can't develop a QB because they haven't done it since 1968, the year of my birth. That's 42 years! So the track record is what the track record is, it's a fair criticism.

    And it's revisionist history to lump Marc Wilson in with Marinovich and Russell, come on. Wilson couldn't take the physical beating of the NFL but nobody ever suggested he wasn't into the game a la Todd or JaMarcus.
    "He's relentless, shoot him in the head is the only way to stop him. If Howie's alive and still kicking he's coming."

    -HOF guard John Hannah

  14. #14
    or24's Avatar
    or24 is offline Limited Membership
    Chairman of the Board
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    21,075
    We have what it supposed to be a good Qb coach and off. coordinator with Hackett and Jackson. We have an OL coach but our line needs some work. Our running game should improve this year and our receiving core is not bad at all. Honestly, besides the big questionmarks on our OL, I don't think it's that bad of a situation for a young QB. Some people are just so used to saying that.

  15. #15
    DreDay707 is offline Banned
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,962
    I think in Oakland's History you can only say we developed 1 QB, Ken Stabler and only because he was a second round pick and sat for 4 years I think before he got a shot in the playoffs.

    So the better argument would not be to say we cant develope a QB, maybe it more to the fact that we wont. And because we havnt really ever done it, maybe Al just doesnt know how or doesnt want to put the resources into doing it.

    If we drafted the QB that you describe then there really isnt a need to develope him is there because hes more or less ready to go!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •