Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McNabb: I Would Have Gone to Oakland IBA

Hall of Famer

McNabb: I Would Have Gone to Oakland IBA

McNabb: I would have gone to Oakland - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group

Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb refuted stories with unnamed sources which reported he would retire rather than play for the Raiders.

Talking with host Ryen Rusillo on the Scott VanPelt Show (ESPN Radio), McNabb was asked what he would have done had he been traded to the Raiders.

“I would have been at the workouts and working out with the team, throwing and trying to get the timing down with the corps of receivers and running backs they have and communicated with the offensive line to get ready for minicamp,” McNabb said.

When Rusillo asked about the threat to retire, McNabb at first laughed out loud.

“Retirement?,” he said.

McNabb went on to elaborate.

“This is the problem with some of these so-called key analysts and these smart guys out there who go by `sources.’ So many people listen to different sources `close to’ the individual, but never the individual, saying that I would have not showed up in Oakland, I would have been upset . . . hey, with my name always being in the media all the time because of trade talk, I’m just happy that it’s over. I don’t mind being on ESPN if it’s something positive for my play, not for where I’m going to land next. A lot of it was blown way out of proportion.”

Of course, having McNabb refuse to play for the Raiders is a much more interesting story than what is the more likely reality _ that Oakland simply is not getting older as a team but working at getting younger, and McNabb was never an option because of that philosophy.

Think about it.

Jeff Garcia and Lorenzo Neal never made it out of training camp last year. Greg Ellis was waived this offseason. Justin Fargas, a 30-year-old back in a 35-year-old body is gone. There was no effort made to talk with the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Owens, the types of Hall of Fame candidates the Raiders have looked to in years past.

The club has not come to a longterm deal with defensive end Richard Seymour, perhaps waiting to see if he’s started on the downside of his career but franchising him to hedge their bets.

If the Raiders really wanted McNabb, they would have made a serious offer and landed him. I’m not sure I buy the story that the magnanimous Eagles “did the right thing” by trading him to the Redskins even though McNabb remained in the division.

And last time I checked, although the Redskins direction is more promising with Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen running things instead of Daniel Snyder, they were 4-12 last year. One game worse than the team that McNabb supposedly wouldn’t consider.

The reason the Eagles made the trade is because they’re comfortable with seeing McNabb twice a year. And because the Raiders are floated more often as a trade possibility than any other team because they never deny it, and occasionally are punching bags because of it.

This should help close the book on the McNabb-to-Raiders story, but don’t count on it. It will be commonly accepted that McNabb refused to come to Oakland, regardless of what he or anyone else says.

It’s just one of those things the Raiders will have to endure until they change the storyline and start winning.

(Was out all morning taping a draft special for Comcast . . . thanks to the reader who told me about the interview).

Chairman of the Board
    well there you have it
    We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it, even my organization deserves it. You have to win and you have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl. That's our passion here. - Al Davis

Veteran
    People actually thought he'd retire instead of (at worst) take a $11 million dollar vacation in Oakland...?

Jerry Mc's last sentence is apt though. Till we when these type of things will always come up.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014
    Raiderfans.net
    Site Sponsor

Chairman of the Board
    F--- the haters.

Raiders 2010.

raider07 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    it's easy to say that after the fact but i believe him, the story about him wanting to retire if he got traded here was complete bs.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raider07 View Post
    it's easy to say that after the fact but i believe him, the story about him wanting to retire if he got traded here was complete bs.
    it was a tmz story for goodness sakes...

Before you challenge the Raider Fans to sell out the Colisseum or say the locals don't support the team Please Read Raider187's extremely informative post: http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakl...ance-woes.html

Chairman of the Board
    I igree with most of what this article ays except the part about the Raiders not being serious about moving on McNabb. They were serious about it.

Marlo Black is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Thank you Donovan

there will be very few comments on this thread because people believe what the media says instead of what the actual person says

he would have been stupid to pass up at least 15 million dollars

good luck in Washington

Kakish is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I think everyone knew it was the media hating...

JQNJRaider is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    It is what it is, he's not on or team, let's concentrate on who is.

R8RRICK is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    I honestly think that the media loves the fact that The Raiders have been doing bad since there Superbowl loss back in 2003. They like to kick people when there down, especially ESPN. The NFL has 7 teams that were worse than the Raiders last year and yet were still the most disfunctional team in the NFL.

DocZulu is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quoted w/ a Raider fans seal of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Black View Post
    Thank you Donovan

there will be very few comments on this thread because people believe what the media says instead of what the actual person says

good luck in Washington

Sledgehammer is offline Banned
    Pro Bowler
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlo Black View Post
    Thank you Donovan

good luck in Washington
    Post of the week. I had a guy come up to me at work today spouting off this mess...I basically called BS, that McNabb is a pro and would have showed up...Now here it is in black and white...There are a lot of things wrong in Oakland, But lets face it..Money always talks!

Clayman is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by raider07 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts upon reading this.

ShadowRage41 is offline Limited Membership
    Hall of Famer
    Good to know... I harbor no ill feelings towards him at all. I wish him well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information